• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda: Breath of the Wild screenshots and closer look at full Hyrule map

The game always looked great on Wii U. Are you people surprised? The Switch is not much stronger than Wii U lol.

It just looks better on Switch because of slightly better textures, draw distance and resolution bump. Its still, "The Legend of Zelda Breath of The Wild."

Effect

Wii U version still looks very nice but the Switch version looks significantly better and different in some areas and just overall better in others.

The game always looked great on Wii U. Are you people surprised? The Switch is not much stronger than Wii U lol.

It just looks better on Switch because of slightly better textures, draw distance and resolution bump. Its still, "The Legend of Zelda Breath of The Wild."
So you mean it just looks better on the Switch because looks it's better in almost every possible way.

Sayah

As beautiful as it looks, I still would have vastly preferred a more realistic look like the initial Wii U tech demo.

2557233-7293465522-23306.gif

Switch is stronger than Wii U, 3 times Ram etc., but it's a port. i am ok with the graphics.

Baleoce

As beautiful as it looks, I still would have vastly preferred a more realistic look like the initial Wii U tech demo.

I'd forgotten all about this xD Some of the Zelda concepts over the years have been.. something else.

They weren't kidding when they said no 2 games will have the same time of day or weather at any point. Might be hard to get some shot for shot comparisons out in the world of the 2 versions when they release.

watershed

Banned
The game looks amazing on both platforms. This is gonna be the best looking portable game of all time, portable cuz that's how I'm playing it.

Man, this game looks fantastic. The Switch version is especially sharp. There's definitely nothing wrong with how the Wii U version is looking, though. I absolutely cannot wait to play this game. Thank goodness it's not far off!

Dremorak

Banned
That shot in front of the shrine shows that the Switch version has better quality textures and geometry, look at the rocks in front of link. Wiiu one is blurry AF. Switch one seems great.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So how big is the game again? How big is the starting area?

It's best to take the estimates with a grain of salt as even the slightest errors can result in massive changes in the final results. One pretty exhaustive one was made with the assumption that this Link is 5'7" just like OoT Link, which could dramatically alter results if off, but that estimate came up with the world being 62-82 sq km, range based on a possible error in measuring Link vs the ladder steps being 3.2 vs 3.5 = Link's height.

Thread with all the info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/truezelda/..._from_rbreath_of_the_wild_analyzing_botw_map/

For comparison Skyrim is around like ~37 sq km. The Witcher 3 is something like 46 sq km not including DLC. So BotW is quite a bit larger than both if this estimate is correct. 67-98% larger than Skyrim and 35-78% larger than The Witcher 3.

Additionally the Great Plateau has been described by Nintendo as only being about 2% of the world. Fan estimates put its relative size as being possibly close to just 1% of the world map's size as you can 90 Great Plateaus over the whole map. Just watching any of the extended E3 footage should tell you that the Great Plateau is not some tiny starting area, so the idea that the rest of the world is as big as 89 of those things is pretty staggering no matter what the actual sq km really ends up being.

The lighting looks slightly better on the Switch but that could be due to the time of day. Other than that, I can live with the textures and draw distance of the Wii U version.

JC Lately

Switch is clearly superior, but the Wii U isn’t exactly phoning it in either.

Satisfied with my Amazon pre-order for the Wii U version.

Yeah it just looks super weird because two support columns broke but the bridge didn't start to bend inwards at all? What?

Just seems super jarring and caught my eye. I'm done now.
It might have something to do with the bridge not casting a shadow on the water. Now that I've noticed it I can't unsee it.

Rodin

So the map is about as big as GTA V and bigger than both Skyrim and TW3 (all regions). Well that's pretty damn huge.

Kinda regret canceling my switch preorder looking at those images.

:(

My wallet will thank me later I guess.
Dude you know you want it, and with dat sweet limited edition!

Awesome! Any you know of off-hand? I figure fishing is probably one.

Well off the top of my head, there's the cooking mechanic (it's a bit more freeform than crafting mechanics in other games), using the elemental systems (either the environment or the player tools) to change items, capturing and taming horses and potentially Dogs, Minigames like playing golf with the Stasis rune, Defeating enemy camps, solving shrines, taking on sidequests, climbing areas to get to treasure, using items to navigate the environment like blowing a raft to cross a river or cutting down physics driven trees correctly to make paths, shield surfing down hills, burning down all of hyrule, hunting animals while taking into account the amount of noise you make, horseback combat and other sidequests that don't give you quest markers to follow blindly.

3DShovel

I just can't wait for this game. This is everything I want in a game and more. Looks gorgeous. Going to explore every nook and cranny of this world.

Tyaren

The IQ is pretty rough in both versions...and that in small sized screens. :/
I also wonder why there are not just graphical but also stylistic differences. Death Mountain and it's smoke plume looks pretty different in the two versions.

Peltz

I am sort of glad they didn't go that route. The current art style is way more special and interesting.

That already looks dated. The art style they have now looks amazing and will be much kinder over the years.

But holy shit the draw distance details are way different than I though they would be. I would take 900p and those visuals vs 1080p and the Wiiu draw distances any day. I thought they were going to be almost the exact same more or less besides resolution.

Top Bottom