• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo demoed Switch 2 to devs at Gamescom | Sources Claim it runs Matrix UE5 Demo With Comparable Graphics to PS5/XSX

Perrott

Gold Member
Real question. Since I believe we will see the Zelda tech demo early next year running on switch 2.

Does anyone think the next Zelda game could actually look like the Zelda tech demo made by Retro studios for Wii U?

I’m going to bet they still can’t produce a game they looks like that. But I’m asking in all seriousness.
That demo was all smoke and mirrors.

If they wanted, they could have made a game that looks like that on either the Switch or Wii U.

God of War: Ascension already looked like that on the PS3 at times.

BootsLoader

Banned
Right, a demo console with the specs they plan on using for Switch 2.

If the feedback from devs is positive, these are the sorts of specs they will go for that console.

Unless the dev feedback is "make it much weaker" which I strongly doubt.
Maybe it will be like that, maybe not. Time will tell.

SNG32

There would be no point in them demoing technology that they wouldn't offer to developers.
You know they can demo technology to devs and scale it back when the console comes to release. The technology is to give devs the idea and hell we don’t even know if the matrix demo was running natively and not some cloud bullshit. Nintendo is never cutting edge when it comes to hardware because they don’t need to be. Their exclusives will always sell their hardware and I can’t see them drastically straying away from this concept that has always worked for them.

Think about all those tech demos that run on consoles and how crazy they look and we never get games that look like it as soon as the console releases.

Last edited:

Drell

It's just one of those things that feels like Nintendo treating you as a kid. And also, yes, I like having a statistic about my completion rate on my games.

I'll buy the new Switch day one anyways.
In my opinion, needing to have the console congratulating you for finishing a game at 100% is being treated as a kid. A good game will give you a secret ending or something satisfying for that, I really don't care for a popup telling me that. You can do your stats yourself if you like them so much...

Last edited:

ryan90k

Neo Member
Does seem unlikely, but if it does really have dlss 3.5 it might be frame generation thst saves the day, the perfomance bump from this has been shocking. Combine that with decent scaling from 1080p and maybe, just maybe it hits far above its core power.
Frame generation will be of limited use since it really requires a High Refresh Rate 120hz+ and VRR display which not everyone has. The technology does not currently work well with Vsync producing too much input lag and because it adds input lag it is also not a good idea for 30fps games as input lag is already high at low framerates and so adding more lag with frame generation just makes things feel terrible and unresponsive to play. It's also unlikely the hardware will support frame generation but it will support DLSS reconstruction upscaling which is great itself. It will also be able to support AMD Fluid Motion frames which will do the same thing as it doesn't need the optical flow accelerator, it could be useful for games that have 60fps as it would allow them to run at 100fps+ provided you have a VRR display. I just question what developers would be willing to go to the trouble unless Nintendo incorporates it into there dev tools.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Frame generation will be of limited use since it really requires a High Refresh Rate 120hz+ and VRR display which not everyone has. The technology does not currently work well with Vsync producing too much input lag and because it adds input lag it is also not a good idea for 30fps games as input lag is already high at low framerates and so adding more lag with frame generation just makes things feel terrible and unresponsive to play. It's also unlikely the hardware will support frame generation but it will support DLSS reconstruction upscaling which is great itself. It will also be able to support AMD Fluid Motion frames which will do the same thing as it doesn't need the optical flow accelerator, it could be useful for games that have 60fps as it would allow them to run at 100fps+ provided you have a VRR display. I just question what developers would be willing to go to the trouble unless Nintendo incorporates it into there dev tools.

I was under the impression that dlss 3 with frame generation was definately helpfull for below 60fps. A test video for the 4060 was taking the witcher from 35fps to close to 60.
But they didn't talk about input lag in that video, so that's troubling. I thought initial reports were that input lag wasn't a huge issue, but it sounds like you have other info.

Woopah

You know they can demo technology to devs and scale it back when the console comes to release. The technology is to give devs the idea and hell we don’t even know if the matrix demo was running natively and not some cloud bullshit. Nintendo is never cutting edge when it comes to hardware because they don’t need to be. Their exclusives will always sell their hardware and I can’t see them drastically straying away from this concept that has always worked for them.

Think about all those tech demos that run on consoles and how crazy they look and we never get games that look like it as soon as the console releases.
In terms of graphics, yes a full game will struggle to look as good as a tech demo.

But in terms of actual specs, the demonstrations shown to developers will be running on roughly the same specs as what Nintendo plans to put in Switch 2. They won't be final final (things like clock speeds could still change) but they will be close.

Showing developer's something running on the cloud, or running on tech that will be very different to Switch 2, would be a giant waste of everyone's time. It wouldn't make any sense.

SNG32

In terms of graphics, yes a full game will struggle to look as good as a tech demo.

But in terms of actual specs, the demonstrations shown to developers will be running on roughly the same specs as what Nintendo plans to put in Switch 2. They won't be final final (things like clock speeds could still change) but they will be close.

Showing developer's something running on the cloud, or running on tech that will be very different to Switch 2, would be a giant waste of everyone's time. It wouldn't make any sense.
Ok but I guarrantee by the time switch releases we will not see the Matrix demo running on it.

Woopah

Ok but I guarrantee by the time switch releases we will not see the Matrix demo running on it.
I don't think they'll show the demo publicly no. But the version of the demo they showed to developers Gamescom was the one which runs on Switch 2 specs.

Y6vaTMY.png

Tarin02543

new rumors are popping up this lazy Sunday afternoon-evening

MediaTek-soc
two Cortex-X4
two Cortex A720
four Cortex-A520
Lovelace GPU
2048 cuda cores

makes the matrix tech demo feasible

JimboJones

John from DF on the Switch 2 recent HW leaks: "So it does seem like they're at least potentially here to offer something well beyond what we expected, and potentially something beyond, say, like what a Series S offers, right."

Oliver makes a good point later that while there may have been a demo of the matrix, it could have been heavily optimized for the hardware to the point where yes at a quick glance it may look like the previous demo used for Xbox and PS but if it was scrutinized closer it may reveal some nips and tucks to get it running.

Rich also had a interesting thought experiment, he brings up the point that if there where rumours back in 2016 that Doom and The Witcher 3 where running on the OG Switch hardware people would have a very different perception of the power profile of the Switch Vs when you actually see it running and the compromises made to get it running.
So probably wise for people to keep expectations in check.

But it is in Epic's, nVidia and Nintendo's best interest to get some form of Unreal 5 running on Switch, so it's promising that they are demoing it.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned

MediaTek-soc
two Cortex-X4
two Cortex A720
four Cortex-A520
Lovelace GPU
2048 cuda cores

that's pushing well into the too-good-to-be-true territory , the x4 just launched this year and mediatek just started working with nvidia

Raploz

MediaTek-soc
two Cortex-X4
two Cortex A720
four Cortex-A520
Lovelace GPU
2048 cuda cores

Very likely BS. RedGamingTech (the source for that info) is not a reliable leaker. Those specs also make no sense, the different core configurations (with 1 or 2 powerful cores with the rest being small) are usually optimized for bursty workloads on smartphone CPUs (like opening apps), not for sustained performance that a console needs.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
John from DF on the Switch 2 recent HW leaks: "So it does seem like they're at least potentially here to offer something well beyond what we expected, and potentially something beyond, say, like what a Series S offers, right."

what a dumb statement.

looking at this demo you would think Switch was in the same ballpark as ps4 and xbox one.

zeldaring

Banned
Hey jaysius, is that you, man?
nope, just being realistic but its probably just DF being dumb and assuming too fast, just like when they made a video about wiiu being 320 gflops and the games were running worse then 360 anyone with common sense would know this and it later came it was 180 gflops.

JimboJones

nope, just being realistic but its probably just DF being dumb and assuming too fast, just like when they made a video about wiiu being 320 gflops and the games were running worse then 360 anyone with common sense would know this and it later came it was 180 gflops.
I think John was being a bit optimistic but Oliver and Rich seemed more grounded in there takes.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I still don't trust Nintendo to be at the top of the line. They could be using tech older than what's inside a ps5, 5 year old tech for all I know.

I'll believe it when I see it. I'll take the beefiest switch Nintendo pulls out, I don't care if I pay $700. I want it. So it's not a matter of wanting it to be real. I'll just rather be realistic and wait and see, and expect the worst from them, to not be disappointed 😂

If they come up with something very comparable then I'll be shocked and celebrate
It's gonna be whatever it has to be. The Switch, back then codenamed NX, was expected to be really beefy as well. It was actually far less powerful than people expected.

By the time it came out it didn't matter.

Woopah

It's gonna be whatever it has to be. The Switch, back then codenamed NX, was expected to be really beefy as well. It was actually far less powerful than people expected.

By the time it came out it didn't matter.
Who was expecting Switch to be really beefy? The Switch we got was in line with the specs Eurogamer told us it would have.

zeldaring

Banned
Who was expecting Switch to be really beefy? The Switch we got was in line with the specs Eurogamer told us it would have.
reeeera some guy named zombie was sayig FP16 would make it match xbox and everyone thought he was a tech god. same BS with dsll although DSLL is way more useful its a upscaler and in some games performance doesn't even jump up much, also for it look good it needs to be at 1440p native resolution. then it need to render down to 1080p or 720p.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

MediaTek-soc
two Cortex-X4
two Cortex A720
four Cortex-A520
Lovelace GPU
2048 cuda cores

That's what Redgamingtech said about the Switch 2 specs or it's a logical guess since the Switch is an Nvidia APU. Timestamped

blacktout

I'd love for this pic to be real, looks nice, bigger screen, better joysticks. But who knows. Source?

They look good, but unfortunately it's almost certainly bullshit. We know what Nintendo is showing off behind closed doors is target/development hardware, so I don't think it would look like a finished consumer product. Also, I doubt they'd be presented in display cases in front of a Nintendo -branded backdrop the way they are in the pic, since they explicitly do not want photos getting out.

Woopah

reeeera some guy named zombie was sayig FP16 would make it match xbox and everyone thought he was a tech god. same BS with dsll although DSLL is way more useful its a upscaler and in some games performance doesn't even jump up much, also for it look good it needs to be at 1440p native resolution. then it need to render down to 1080p or 720p.
What does that have to do with the original Switch?

Woopah

FP16 was the thing hyped up the most for og switch online and forums saying it would match xbox one cause of the tech..
Oh I see what you're saying now! Yes I'm sure we can find some forum people believing that Switch was going to be beefy, but not actual journalists.

Last edited:

Moses85

I could imagine that Nvidia is interested in the Switch 2 being graphically convincing in order to annoy Sony and Microsoft. It would also be very good advertising for Nvidia if a successful Switch 2 runs with Nvidia technology.

Astral Dog

Nintendo actually having powerful hardware would be awesome. Hopefully there's some truth to this.
having 'powerful' hardware is becoming more subjective/relative as tech advances, Switch 2 won't ever match an Xbox Series S,much less a PlayStation 5 or Series X,good news it doesn't need that to provide beautiful high quality visuals or be a succesful platform,as long as its a big jump over the Switch and solves the IQ issues that have been plaguing Nintendo over the years, without being either too expensive or cheap, they can design a solid portable console for people to enjoy

zeldaring

Banned
Oh I see what you're saying now! Yes I'm sure we can find some forum people believing that Switch was going to be beefy, but not actual journalists.
the thing is basically everthing looks the same at quick glance these days. looking at a tech demo does nothing to say how powerful a console is, i can look at god of war ragnorak on youtube comparisons and it say ps4 has similar graphics to ps5.

Woopah

the thing is basically everthing looks the same at quick glance these days. looking at a tech demo does nothing to say how powerful a console is, i can look at god of war ragnorak on youtube comparisons and it say ps4 has similar graphics to ps5.

Which i think is the point that Nintendo will be making to developers, that the output graphics of Switch 2 will be close enough to PS5 and Xbox Series that developers can bring their games over (even if they don't look as good as on the other consoles).

Kappa

A rog ally is cutting edge handheld tech and can barely run 720p 60fps at $800. And people expect a Nintendo device to destroy that at sub $400....

I'm still excited for a slightly buffed switch tho. Hopefully they do an OLED model quick

Last edited:

Raploz

Might be old, might be false so take it with a grain of salt.

Just something someone shared on a discord I hang out on.
That's just speculation from very smart and passionate people at the hardware thread in the Famiboard forum. You can trust the people that wrote that know what they're talking about, and are basing their assumptions on the Nvidia leak, so a lot of the information there is real, but there's a healthy dose of speculation as well.

Last edited:
A rog ally is cutting edge handheld tech and can barely run 720p 60fps at $800. And people expect a Nintendo device to destroy that at sub $400....

I'm still excited for a slightly buffed switch tho. Hopefully they do an OLED model quick

Rog is still a standard PC without the holistic design based optimisation we see in consoles, and hence why consoles give a lot more juice per $.

Top Bottom