• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 Discussion Thread

bender

What time is it?
Eh, I disagree about Metroid's importance, regardless of past sales. If Metroid Prime 4 is touted as a launch game for the Switch 2 AND well promoted it should sell as such. Metroid has never been used in that capacity unless I'm forgetting something. Meanwhile, the market has been completely saturated with mario games and spinoffs. Though I do think a $400 price tag on the Switch 2 is going to be devastating to its sales (my own opinion). What other game is being worked on that could coincide with the Switch 2's release that Nintendo has somehow been able to keep under wraps all this time? I'm skeptical that somehow the switch 2 is releasing in 2024; that there is a mystery game that will be ready to launch with the Switch 2; AND somehow we have yet to hear a scrap of official news about either, not even a leak. Instead, it's been rumors and more rumors. I'd love to be wrong but that's just my sentiment. This summer will tell all. You are right though that there has been plenty time for Nintendo to have developed something. I just find it highly unlikely they would have been able to keep everything a secret all the way up to now.

My buddy and I were chatting this weekend and he mentioned MP4 as a launch title. That's as good of a guess as any but I do think it would be better served to be a Switch title (or cross-generation) to take advantage of the Switch's userbase. Metroid just isn't that big of a seller all things considered. I really think the marquee launch title is an obvious choice in Mario Kart Next. Even though Nintendo added a bunch of tracks to MK8 the last year or so, we haven't had a new entry in the franchise since the Wii U. And just another guess, but I do think the Mario Kart name will stay in tact but the content inside will be broader, like a Nintendo Kart and feature more franchises since MK8 had the likes of Zelda and F-Zero.

BlackTron

Big Zelda just came out, but Mario hasn't had a new entry for 7 years, so 3D Mario is an obvious choice, along with Metroid and a Zelda port/remake (OOT?)

Kart could happen sure, but for some reason I think they would prefer this as a second-punch game. Especially if 8 is available with BC

My buddy and I were chatting this weekend and he mentioned MP4 as a launch title. That's as good of a guess as any but I do think it would be better served to be a Switch title (or cross-generation) to take advantage of the Switch's userbase. Metroid just isn't that big of a seller all things considered. I really think the marquee launch title is an obvious choice in Mario Kart Next. Even though Nintendo added a bunch of tracks to MK8 the last year or so, we haven't had a new entry in the franchise since the Wii U. And just another guess, but I do think the Mario Kart name will stay in tact but the content inside will be broader, like a Nintendo Kart and feature more franchises since MK8 had the likes of Zelda and F-Zero.
Big Zelda just came out, but Mario hasn't had a new entry for 7 years, so 3D Mario is an obvious choice, along with Metroid and a Zelda port/remake (OOT?)

Kart could happen sure, but for some reason I think they would prefer this as a second-punch game. Especially if 8 is available with BC
A new mario kart would be good. Also, we did have Mario Wonder, but is it more of a side-game in the vein of new super mario bros? I was hoping to like Mario Odyssey more than I did. It was a good game but I got bored of it about halfway through. Finished the game and then didn't go back to find the endless number of moons that I missed. But the reason I mention Odyssey is that a sequel to it is another possibility as mentioned. Smash Bros?

Mr.Bond

1. Capable hardware (at least Xbox series S power)
  2. Better quality hardware, especially for the Joysticks.
  3. Micro SD support
  4. backward compatinility.

Emedan

1. Capable hardware (at least Xbox series S power)
  2. Better quality hardware, especially for the Joysticks.
  3. Micro SD support
  4. backward compatinility.
Forget about that. It's battery time that limits Nintendo in this regard.

Since the device is going with another nvidia chip it should most certainly have BC, they would've have to go out of their way not to include it honestly.

Davevil

my wishes (which will not be fulfilled):
- get the joycons out of the way
- dock in retro console themed

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I'm still of the mindset that the switch 2 will not release this year. It needs a good launch game and the most likely candidate is Metroid Prime 4. But based on a complete lack of an updates on the game Id lean more on Prime 4 not being ready for release by the end of 2024. I'd love to be wrong though. A surprise announcement this summer that the switch 2 and Metroid prime 4 were releasing by Christmas would be epic.
If Prime4 is to be a cross gen / main launch title like Zelda was last gen, why would they reveal anything prior to the reveal of the main platform for it?
Eh, I disagree about Metroid's importance, regardless of past sales. If Metroid Prime 4 is touted as a launch game for the Switch 2 AND well promoted it should sell as such. Metroid has never been used in that capacity unless I'm forgetting something. Meanwhile, the market has been completely saturated with mario games and spinoffs. Though I do think a $400 price tag on the Switch 2 is going to be devastating to its sales (my own opinion). What other game is being worked on that could coincide with the Switch 2's release that Nintendo has somehow been able to keep under wraps all this time? I'm skeptical that somehow the switch 2 is releasing in 2024; that there is a mystery game that will be ready to launch with the Switch 2; AND somehow we have yet to hear a scrap of official news about either, not even a leak. Instead, it's been rumors and more rumors. I'd love to be wrong but that's just my sentiment. This summer will tell all. You are right though that there has been plenty time for Nintendo to have developed something. I just find it highly unlikely they would have been able to keep everything a secret all the way up to now.
What do you consider a leak? There have been rumors about the next Mario title, both recent ones and a few here and there over the past years. You cannot saturate the market with Mario, it's the main franchise from Nintendo. A new 3D Mario is a system seller and would continue to sell for years. If they launched this year it would certainly be in a year with a lot of Mario. Mario Wonder, RPG, vs DK, Paper Mario, but is that really going to make any gamer who loves Mario, not want to play the (hypothetical) new 3D one?

In my opinion, when Retro hired a bunch of COD and Bungie and Naughty Dog devs a few years ago, it was a clear sign to me that this Metroid when revealed is not a traditional Prime game and likely has gone towards Halo 1- Reach. If that line of thinking is correct, this could be a huge game for Nintendo.

Nintendo is going to market this system for the “CORE” first. Halo style game with Samus (female protagonist) would accomplish this. I’m not sure this is a launch game or launch window. It is definitely one or the other.

I also suspect in these difficult gaming times, 3rd party partners lined up to work with Nintendo IP. Despite Mario Rabbids 2 not selling as well as Ubisoft hoped. I’m sure there are several is these Mario Rabbids, hyrule warriors, Astral chain style games in development.

One thing is for certain, Nintendo won’t abandon Switch user base as it is just too large. Expect cross gen remakes and ports for a while.

Another thing of note, I think we should expect more HD2D on Nintendo. Specially since it would appear that HD2D on Nintendo outsells other platforms combined. I could easily see DQIIIHD2D being a launch window game. Nintendo would allow this game to breathe and not have a ton of first pet games in the way.

I really thing in the first two years or so, you will only get 3-4 Switch 2 exclusive games a year. And several cross Switch 1 / Switch 2 games annually.

Marvel14

Banned
Would be good if Op included links to the myriad of threads on GAF where we've discussed everything from its name, the features we'd like to see, it's 6 month launch window and everything in between....

BlackTron

A new mario kart would be good. Also, we did have Mario Wonder, but is it more of a side-game in the vein of new super mario bros? I was hoping to like Mario Odyssey more than I did. It was a good game but I got bored of it about halfway through. Finished the game and then didn't go back to find the endless number of moons that I missed. But the reason I mention Odyssey is that a sequel to it is another possibility as mentioned. Smash Bros?

Depending on how you look at it, 3D Mario is the side-game to 2D, but either way they're different things and don't interfere that much with each other. I can see 2D/3D Marios releasing only a year apart, as in I wouldn't expect Wonder on Switch to delay timing of a new 3D game on Switch 2 at all.

There is NO WAY a new Smash will be there. Seriously forget it.

BlackTron

I was talking with a friend last year about how much they must already have ready for Switch 2 because they were announcing games a few months out like Wonder and RPG, and shadow dropping games like Metroid Prime. It appears like Nintendo has games ready and are in such a position of strength they can just hold them until needed. This doesn't create the impression that they must be unprepared for Switch 2.

Complistic

Who knows what it'll be, but I've stopped playing any switch games until this thing comes out. There's a bunch I'd love to play with an fps boost.

Bridges

I want to be able to see someone on my friends list and invite them to play a game with me from the system OS like on Xbox.

If they found some way to make DS/Wii U style dual screen support I think that could be very cool too, but it could be risky

JordiENP

Nintendo "Super Switch" still rolls off the tongue the best.

Just know they gonna be real boring and go with "Switch Plus" or "Switch 2".

Nintendo Super Switch sounds good but wanna know what sounds better?
Super Nintendo Switch.

hGoraEK8i3LQYWVPH64ah8.jpg

cireza

Here are my expectations concerning the next Nintendo hardware.

Based on historical evidence, they have a tendency to put backwards compatibility when possible which implies a very small upgrade in terms of hardware (as they are still based on the same components, but simply enhanced). Either they include full BC by using the same components as before, or they ditch BC totally and move on to more powerful hardware.

In our case, as Switch actually ditched previous hardware, my expectation is that their next console will be a pretty weak upgrade that easily guarantees 100% BC. This will also allow them to remain at a comfortable price point, which will lead to profits on hardware sales from day one, as well as the capacity of producing a ton of them easily (which is a very important point in current times).

If this is such a weak upgrade, Nintendo will probably try to push some kind of gimmick to help forget about the weak hardware. I would be surprised for them to go back to a 3D screen (even if I would really like this), as it was not really adopted by users. Not too sure about a VR gimmick either.

Last edited:

Based on historical evidence, they have a tendency to put backwards compatibility when possible which implies a very small upgrade in terms of hardware (as they are still based on the same components, but simply enhanced). Either they include full BC by using the same components as before, or they ditch BC totally and move on to more powerful hardware.

I think you will definitely be able to play Switch 1 games on it.

Will there be physical BC and will they charge to upgrade is the real question.

Business

I don’t think a 3D screen is happening because of the simple fact this should be another hybrid machine, so games can’t be designed around 3D for portable mode and then it all breaks when you play docked.

CS Lurker

I seriously hope they ignore some of the loud fans and limit the screen resolution to something like 720p or 800p like SD and they do something meaningful with the graphics and tech like DLSS even when in portable mode.

I don't see a reason to go with a 720p screen TBH (and I don't think DLSS would work with an output of 800p).

If we analyze how Nintendo worked the handheld/docked GPU clocks, we have this:

Handheld​
Docked​
Clock Increase​
384MHz​
768MHz​
2x​
460MHz​
768MHz​
1,66​

After the Switch was hacked we discovered it has a 920MHz GPU profile that Nintendo opted not to use, which would give us that 2x increase again rather than 1,66. Maybe they didn't use it because of the cooling they had, or it was because of yields, we simply don't know. But it seems to point to Nintendo wanting an exact 2 times increase in clock between handheld and docked.

If we consider a clock increase between 1,66 and 2 for Switch 2 when docked, and then we see the internal resolutions DLSS will work with to reach 720p/1080p/1440p, a 1080p output in handheld with a 1440p output in docked seems to be the perfect fit in terms of how the tech scales between presets and with that up to 2 times more GPU juice when docked.

This way we would have these possibilities:

DLSS Preset​
Handheld Internal / Output Resolution​
Docked Internal / Output Resolution​
Internal Pixel Count Increase​
Quality​
1280x720 / 1920x1080​
1707x960 / 2560x1440​
1,77​
Balance​
1114x626 / 1920x1080​
1485x835 / 2560x1440​
1,77​
Performance​
960x540 / 1920x1080​
1280x720 / 2560x1440​
1,77​
Ultra Performance​
640x360 / 1920x1080​
853x480 / 2560x1440​
1,77​

The 77% increase in pixel count seems to work beautifully considering the up to 2 times increase in GPU clock, and we could even still have some juice left to get a better IQ on the TV.

Now, if we have a 720p screen, we would have something like this:

DLSS Preset​
Handheld Internal / Output Resolution​
Docked Internal / Output Resolution​
Internal Pixel Count Increase​
Quality​
853x480 / 1280x720​
1280x720 / 1920x1080​
2,25​
Balance​
742x418 / 1280x720​
1114x626 / 1920x1080​
2,24​
Performance​
640x360 / 1280x720​
960x540 / 1920x1080​
2,25​
Ultra Performance​
427x240 / 1280x720​
640x360 / 1920x1080​
2,24​

Now we would need more than 2x increase in performance, and we are basically limited to 1080p docked (you could go from Quality (720p output) in handheld to Performance (1440p) docked mode, but that's it)

We could mix presets, like Quality in handheld and Balance in docked (1,70 pixel increase); Balance to Performance (1,67 pixel increase), but it's more limiting for devs to choose the presets that work better with their games.

Having tried all these presets on both a 1080p and a 720p screens using several different titles, I would say that 427x240 is off the table. Then we have 640x360, which is already pushing the limits. This one would be for those really impossible ports IMO. My favorite resolution (for a small screen) would definitely be 960x540 (being 853x480 the closest match). Performance preset for an output of 1080p works amazingly well, really. Player will be amazed by the quality they'll get on a 1080p screen using DLSS Performance.

Of course, DLSS isn't free, but the cost shouldn't be prohibitive to a point where we have to aim for 720p handheld and 1080 docked (and like I showed, we need a ~2,25 increase in pixels, which means devs won't be able to use all the GPU performance in handheld because they will need to account for that render difference when docked)

Going from a 1080p output in handheld to a 1440p output on docked works perfectly with clock increase and DLSS scaling between its presets. Going with lower resolutions like 742x418 so a 720p screen would make sense to begin with is a poor trade-off IMO. DLSS is much better than FSR with lower resolutions, but it also has a limit.

I expect Nintendo to use the Quality preset for most of their games (1080p handheld / 1440p docked), possibly with dynamic resolution (yes, DLSS works with it too), changing between Quality and Balance. For 3rd party titles I'm expecting them heavily using the Performance preset (for the same 1080p / 1440p outputs), with some really impossible ports pushing the Ultra Performance.

TBH it was by knowing how DLSS works (the resolutions it uses and how it scales) and trying myself and seeing the results with my own eyes (without YouTube compression) that I became convinced that Nintendo would come with a 1080p screen long before the rumors started to point out for this resolution. Like I said, it just fits perfectly, having the best trade-off overall.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
My vote goes for the "Nintendo Switch UP". Messaging being that everything about this system is "UP" a.k.a. improved/beefed up from the original OG Switch.
And yes, my version of the "Nintendo Switch UP" brings back 2 screens that when combined together act like the Nintendo 3DS. Stylus included as well.

7d8CXtD.jpg

Emedan

In our case, as Switch actually ditched previous hardware, my expectation is that their next console will be a pretty weak upgrade that easily guarantees 100% BC. This will also allow them to remain at a comfortable price point, which will lead to profits on hardware sales from day one, as well as the capacity of producing a ton of them easily (which is a very important point in current times).

If this is such a weak upgrade, Nintendo will probably try to push some kind of gimmick to help forget about the weak hardware. I would be surprised for them to go back to a 3D screen (even if I would really like this), as it was not really adopted by users. Not too sure about a VR gimmick either.
That's not how it works. It's the architecture that limits that, previously they've implemented BC in form of the previous system baked into its own chip on the board but this won't be necessary if they still go with Tegra, no matter how high the performance jump is since it's basically the same architecture, with that the code can just run natively just the same. Look at it as a PC running an x86-64 CPU, you don't lose the ability to run your old PC games just because you upgrade your CPU. However you wouldn't be able to run the games natively if your PC went from using an x86 to ARM - look at Apples switch from Intel to the M-chip.

If Nintendo goes with one of the newer Tegra chips (l95% likely) the performance increase can be immense without losing the ability of backwards compatibility. I don't see any scenario where BC is not a thing except if Nintendo went with another cartridge form factor, though on the 3DS they solved this with some plastic.

Regarding the name of the device I don't see Nintendo again wanting any ambiguity at all that this is a new device and not just an update (Wii U debacle). Either it'll be Switch 2 or something completely different.

Last edited:

BlackTron

But isn't easy BC more about architecture than power level? Edit: beaten

Last edited:

Woopah

Nintendo tends to keep the vast majority of its first party games a secret until maybe a day or two before a Direct. So a lack of leaks tell us nothing about their 2024 lineup.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I am wracking my braintrying to come up with one game that used those triggers.
Mario Sunshine (the water sprays out harder depending on how far you click in the trigger)
The Rogue Squadron games used it as an accelerator.
Wave Race and F-Zero used them as well, if I recall, to map your vehicle's acceleration to how hard you push the trigger down.

Overall though, very under utilized.

Deerock71

Mario Sunshine (the water sprays out harder depending on how far you click in the trigger)
The Rogue Squadron games used it as an accelerator.
Wave Race and F-Zero used them as well, if I recall, to map your vehicle's acceleration to how hard you push the trigger down.

Overall though, very under utilized.
True enough.

tylrdiablos

I'm probably in the minority here but... I don't want a portable console. I wanted a dedicated machine that sits under my TV.
I'm happy to sacrifice portability for more CPU/RAM/GPU power.

My (launch day) Switch has been played in handheld mode maybe 3 times. (It's just not very comfortable etc.)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm probably in the minority here but... I don't want a portable console. I wanted a dedicated machine that sits under my TV.

My (launch day) Switch has been played in handheld mode maybe 3 times. (It's just not very comfortable etc.)
I'm the opposite, I've played my Switch docked maybe 3 times in the console's lifespan. For me, the Switch being portable is its biggest draw - if I want a more powerful game console, I'll play the PlayStation or Xbox.

One thing I wouldn't mind though - an optional "Super Dock" add-on, that increases the raw power of the console while docked to give games better resolution or frame rates. If I can play the same game in 4K on my TV, then take it into handheld mode where it runs at 720p, I'm happy with that. The original Switch dock being a plastic HDMI pass through device was a bit... deflating. The only thing it does is sends a signal to your console that it doesn't have to operate in "low power mode" anymore, giving it a slight bump using the existing hardware. Lame.

The odds that Nintendo is even remotely interested is like zero... but it's been heavily rumored that nVidia is planning on making high performance ARM laptop processors. It's possible that they could extend that to include something that could work in a home console if they got a customer willing.

Last edited:

Bridges

I am wracking my braintrying to come up with one game that used those triggers.
Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Party 4-7, pretty sure the Metroid Prime games did too.

Probably only 1st party games used it, but nowadays it is very common for modern 3rd party games to utilize pressure sensitivity on Xbox and PlayStation (especially racing games) so it's one less thing that 3rd parties would have to compromise on when porting to Nintendo.

Södy

I'm the opposite, I've played my Switch docked maybe 3 times in the console's lifespan. For me, the Switch being portable is its biggest draw - if I want a more powerful game console, I'll play the PlayStation or Xbox.

One thing I wouldn't mind though - an optional "Super Dock" add-on, that increases the raw power of the console while docked to give games better resolution or frame rates. If I can play the same game in 4K on my TV, then take it into handheld mode where it runs at 720p, I'm happy with that. The original Switch dock being a plastic HDMI pass through device was a bit... deflating. The only thing it does is sends a signal to your console that it doesn't have to operate in "low power mode" anymore, giving it a slight bump using the existing hardware. Lame.
Yeah all these years I hoped for a "Switch Dock Pro".

The Switch screen is enough for me. Perfect size and resolution imo (in regards to power and battery life). Just give me more Power on the TV (1440/60 would be enough because no way Nintendo is going to invest in 4k/60).

Celcius

°Temp. member
One thing I’ve been thinking about - people are hoping that the switch 2 is around ps4 power levels… and the ps4 was a machine limited to 1080p output.

The Switch 2 could very well be 1080p handheld AND docked, as there’s really no guarantee that DLSS will be available or be able to lift resolutions to 1440p or 4k. They could even push the visuals hard and then rely on DLSS to get the games to 60 fps at 1080p.

If the Switch 2 has improved visuals but is still 1080p when docked would you guys be fine with that or super disappointed?

Last edited:

Mithos

SAME.

Still have no Switch, too expensive (~us$360 lcd / us$415 oled) for what it offers.
Only way I'd get one was if free or super cheap (so that I could rebuild it as a home console and mod it for powerboost**)
And I say this as someone who own/d, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Gamecube (x2), Wii (x2), Wii U, Gamboy, GameBoy Adv. SP, Nintendo DS.

Last edited:
One thing I’ve been thinking about - people are hoping that the switch 2 is around ps4 power levels… and the ps4 was a machine limited to 1080p output.

The Switch 2 could very well be 1080p handheld AND docked, as there’s really no guarantee that DLSS will be available or be able to lift resolutions to 1440p or 4k. They could even push the visuals hard and then rely on DLSS to get the games to 60 fps at 1080p.

If the Switch 2 has improved visuals but is still 1080p when docked would you guys be fine with that or super disappointed?

That's what I'm expecting and would be fine with

Celcius

°Temp. member
Nintendo’s done a great job of keeping Switch 2 dev kits from leaking…
Does anyone remember how far before launch the ps5 dev kit images leaked?

Woopah

Nintendo’s done a great job of keeping Switch 2 dev kits from leaking…
Does anyone remember how far before launch the ps5 dev kit images leaked?
I don't remember about the PS5 dev kits, but I don't think a Switch 2 dev kit pic would be that interesting as it will look nothing like the final product most likely.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm having a hard time wanting to play Zelda TOTK at 30 fps so I started to dream about a new console this year. I know it's probably not changing with a new Switch but I want to believe :(

Hell yeah. I was late to the party on Switch - I was actually kind of out of the gaming zone for most of the 2010s due to having a child and just focusing on work. I slowly slid back in with RE2 Remake and finally got a Switch only at the beginning of 2022, but after doing so really wished I had gotten one sooner. The library, the hardware, I love everything about the Switch and it's the best gaming experience I've had in a long time.

Absolutely day 1 pretty much no matter what, but as far as features I desperately hope they do hardware backwards compatibility. I don't even care if they are upscaled/etc though that would be nice, I just want to be able to put my cart in the system and play. Otherwise I'd be more than content with Ps4-ish quality visuals on the machine.
You'll have another child 😬

tkscz

The issue with saying "PS4 level" is that it reduces hardware down to raw numbers. If the rumored GPU specs are to be believed, then it would have something around 1500 7nm CUDA cores, running at about 700MHz in handheld mode, which would give it a FLoP rate of ~2TFs, which is about the same as the PS4. That said, it uses a more modern architecture that allows it to run better shaders at lower power draws. You can easily see better things out of the Switch 2 than you would the PS4 based on the capabilities that come with Ampere that GCN2 didn't have. As we've all pointed to, DLSS being a big one and having RT cores means it is capable of RT (though I can't see it being used outside of very specific circumstances due to how much power that would draw). Think of a PS4 game but with more modern lighting shaders, shadows and post-processing. It would also be capable of natively running engines like UE5 due to having compatible hardware.

Unfortunate part is that you'll most likely see most of that get used by Nintendo, while third parties down port their games without taking advantage of any of it's feature sets due to lack of support from their engines. Even engines that it will support will see features out right removed that it will be capable of because it's easier to do that to get things working than finding a way to make it work like we saw with UE4 and the Switch. Pikmin 4 runs on UE4 and looks gorgeous while any third party UE4 game looks incredibly low-res.

StereoVsn

I'm having a hard time wanting to play Zelda TOTK at 30 fps so I started to dream about a new console this year. I know it's probably not changing with a new Switch but I want to believe :(

You'll have another child 😬
Switch is legit perfect with little kids since you can play easily while they are sleeping and it’s instant sleep/wake up.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Don’t worry 100%. It will be a cross generation title, just like all of the Nintendo games for at least the first year or two.

Whether or not that means the games won’t take full advantage of the switch 2 is yet to be seen.

Don’t expect third-party games to use all of its resources as they are going to want to appeal to the switch one users for a few years.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I kinda wonder what the Pro Controller will be like on the Switch 2 - would it just literally use the same one as the original Switch or would there be some new feature added? I can't imagine what they would add but knowing Nintendo I wouldn't be surprised. Plus it's a big opportunity to sell new controllers to customers.

I'm also starting to think that Metroid Prime 4 would probably be a launch title for it. It just seems like the perfect day-one killer app.

Last edited:
Top Bottom