• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taiwanese Economic Forum reports the Nintendo Switch 2 will have a 120Hz screen and improved battery life, but only 8GB of ram and 64GB of Storage

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If reasonably priced, I might get one to play some 2D Mario games and Mario Maker. Probably the only Nintendo games that interest me. Maybe Smash Bros too though I'm terrible at it playing it at my nephew/nieces house.

Hohenheim

The amount of hard drive space is why I passed on the switch. 64 would be ridiculous and I’d pass on it again if that’s what their doing.
But why..? Buying a SSD card is super cheap. You passed on a console because of a issue you could fix super easy and cheap? I find stuff like that very, very strange.
IF the switch had as much internal space as a PS5, the price would probably be a lot higher than buying a SSD card along with the machine, which makes what you say even weirder.

Zannegan

Wow - this is groundbreaking analysis - you think the switch 2 will have better graphics than og switch? Are you sure?
Rude. Lol.

He is betting on a gimmick-free successor, which I think is a pretty bold prediction given that it's Nintendo. They love a new angle.

There were early rumors about something to do with a camera. I wouldn't put stock in the rumors themselves, but head-tracking 3D in handheld mode (even with a 2d screen) is the kind of feature I could see Nintendo pushing in early marketing spots.

EDIT: If they DID go for a 3D screen, then I could see them pushing both that and two-perspective fullscreen multiplayer like the old PS3 3D monitors... if it even worked that well.

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is it going to be 4nm? Assuming so, it's going to be at least competitive with Steam deck, but i'd expect it to be even better given the process tech.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
64gb of storage?
zDFbWmi.gif

There were early rumors about something to do with a camera. I wouldn't put stock in the rumors themselves, but head-tracking 3D in handheld mode (even with a 2d screen) is the kind of feature I could see Nintendo pushing in early marketing spots.
A 3D screen would dilute/break the main feature of the Switch which is to play on the TV too.

The trouble for Switch 2 is that any innovation would have to work on TV too, which is likely the position Nintendo are in right now. And may force their hand to go for more power as main feature.

Last edited:

Woopah

Well, yes you’re right.

I hope they don’t go cheap, but since components are very expensive atm. They possibly will.
I just meant that I have seen a strong concensus that it will be perform better than a PS4, but much less confidence that it will perform better than a PS4 Pro. We don't know enough yet.

In the end they will have to balance several competing priorities, such as having decent battery life and keeping the price below $449.

One way they could save money without affecting power is to go with LCD instead of OLED.

Mozza

Endless rumors about rumors. then other rumors debunking or attempting to debunk the previous ones. This latest one was being undermined by another Nintendo leaker, and the fact that both leaks basically agreed on nothing, suggests this is what it has always been, pure speculation based on personal wishlists.

All this was basically born out of the core games not being happy with the initial Switch specs, and there were rumors right after release of a Switrch Pro version coming at some point or other, of course this was total rubbish as it was based on slight improvements made to both DS and 3DS hardware, which was more down to what was available at the times of those individual refreshes, , more then anything else. The Switch was always going to recieve a revision wirth a bigger and better screen, and it was not a massive stretch fro them to release a more compact and cheaper version.

Leakers took these very probable events and simplt expanded on them with their own prefferences, and then when they were shown to be incorrect with the release of the Switch OLED. all the mental gymnastics came into play about Nintendo planning to release a Pro Verson, but being unable to get the chips, but they did manage to get the OLED screent etc etc..., it would have been far more respectable if they just admitted they had got it wrong.

I would always suggest copious amounts of salt when reading any of these rumors, disguised as credible leaks. ;)

Last edited:

Zannegan

Endless rumors about rumors. then other rumors .
Personally, I LOVE rumor reason. Things get wild and crazy, and as long as you don't let yourself get mentally committed to any one rumor, it's all fun and games.

...there were rumors right after release of a Switrch Pro version coming at some point or other, of course this was total rubbish as it was based on slight improvements made to both DS and 3DS hardware, which was more down to what was available at the times of those individual refreshes, , more then anything else. The Switch was always going to recieve a revision wirth a bigger and better screen, and it was not a massive stretch fro them to release a more compact and cheaper version.

Leakers took these very probable events and simplt expanded on them with their own prefferences, and then when they were shown to be incorrect with the release of the Switch OLED. all the mental gymnastics came into play about Nintendo planning to release a Pro Verson, but being unable to get the chips, but they did manage to get the OLED screent etc etc..., it would have been far more respectable if they just admitted they had got it wrong.
Eh, the Switch Pro came from the same guy/publication that leaked the Switch's form factor/detachable joycon, etc. way ahead of its reveal, iirc. while others were still calling for a powerful console.

So, you could be right. Most rumors and "leaks" are complete shots in the dark mixed with giving people what they want to hear. But it's possible the Pro rumor wasn't complete BS. We just don't know at this point.

I would always suggest copious amounts of salt when reading any of these rumors, disguised as credible leaks. ;)
100% this.

A 3D screen would dilute/break the main feature of the Switch which is to play on the TV too.

The trouble for Switch 2 is that any innovation would have to work on TV too, which is likely the position Nintendo are in right now. And may force their hand to go for more power as main feature.
Excellent point. The only ways 3D as a central gimmick could also work on the TV would be 1. if it's eye/head tracking only and they have a really good camera on the Switch 2 (which would HAVE to dock under the TV), or 2. they used active shutter 3D glasses which would sync to the TV using the Switch 2 and probably a camera... which would be awful and expensive. Either way, not a great solution, you're right. Imagineering it is fun though.

Last edited:

Mozza

Personally, I LOVE rumor reason. Things get wild and crazy, and as long as you don't let yourself get mentally committed to any one rumor, it's all fun and games.

Eh, the Switch Pro came from the same guy/publication that leaked the Switch's form factor/detachable joycon, etc. way ahead of its reveal, iirc. while others were still calling for a powerful console.

So, you could be right. Most rumors and "leaks" are complete shots in the dark mixed with giving people what they want to hear. But it's possible the Pro rumor wasn't complete BS. We just don't know at this point.

100% this.

Excellent point. The only ways 3D as a central gimmick could also work on the TV would be 1. if it's eye/head tracking only and they have a really good camera on the Switch 2 (which would HAVE to dock under the TV), or 2. they used active shutter 3D glasses which would sync to the TV using the Switch 2 and probably a camera... which would be awful and expensive. Either way, not a great solution, you're right. Imagineering it is fun though.
I love rumors as well, but I do tend to take them with a huge amount of salt. And pretty sure the Switch Pro rumor was just total rubbish, for all the reasons I gave.

Last edited:
Top Bottom