• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taiwanese Economic Forum reports the Nintendo Switch 2 will have a 120Hz screen and improved battery life, but only 8GB of ram and 64GB of Storage

Kenpachii

Only reason to do 120hz is to get 60fps 3D games. Maybe this device will be the Switch 3D. 120hz on such a tiny screen is completely useless for a lot of reasons but 3D.

It takes battery, power, more cpu and gpu requirements for zero visible improvement on a carry device.

So in short, I don’t believe the rumor because 3D seems pretty dead nowadays even though I love it personally, and 120hz is just useless for a gaming handheld

Give me 3D back, the biggest dissapointment with the switch was that they dropped 3D entirely.

From what i saw in another thread they have no glasses less 3D in laptop screens, so maybe they going that route again. If that's the case i will buy the dam thing day one.

splattered

Remember when Xbox was designing the 360 and Epic convinced them to up the Ram? Imagine if Microsoft does the same thing to ensure games like COD can run as good as possible... It would sell a bajillion copies if it ran well and looks good too.

Shin-Ra

Remember when Xbox was designing the 360 and Epic convinced them to up the Ram? Imagine if Microsoft does the same thing to ensure games like COD can run as good as possible... It would sell a bajillion copies if it ran well and looks good too.
“They just laughed their asses off,” Bachus told Bloomberg. “Like, imagine an hour of somebody just laughing at you. That was kind of how that meeting went.”

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
8GB Ram?

🤣

This thing needs to be 32GB minimum. We need to see this thing smoke the Steamdeck.

splattered

“They just laughed their asses off,” Bachus told Bloomberg. “Like, imagine an hour of somebody just laughing at you. That was kind of how that meeting went.”

That was about purchasing Nintendo ages ago yes... but Bowser has publicly said they are interested in bringing COD to the platform again.

To achieve this in a meaningful way they may need beefier specs than they would typically consider.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Only reason to do 120hz is to get 60fps 3D games. Maybe this device will be the Switch 3D. 120hz on such a tiny screen is completely useless for a lot of reasons but 3D.

It takes battery, power, more cpu and gpu requirements for zero visible improvement on a carry device.

So in short, I don’t believe the rumor because 3D seems pretty dead nowadays even though I love it personally, and 120hz is just useless for a gaming handheld
This is my dream too!
3D on OLED screen makes a lot of sense.

Shin-Ra

That was about purchasing Nintendo ages ago yes... but Bowser has publicly said they are interested in bringing COD to the platform again.

To achieve this in a meaningful way they may need beefier specs than they would typically consider.
To make CoD development for Switch 2 convenient for CoD developers, the hardware’s going to need much bigger changes than Microsoft can convince Nintendo to implement.

That’s just for CoD 2024, never mind CoD 2029 when 5GB/s+ SSD streaming is considered minimum spec for games to work.

DaGwaphics

I'd be surprised by the 8GB thing if the rumors are true about them showing off the Matrix demo and wanting to get full support for UE5. The 10GB XSS is pushing the limits as it is, 8GB would probably mean at least 1GB less for games even if they kept the OS really simple.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
120hz = VR Component

Maybe this can be head mounted for VR.
I thought of this immediately as well, although I'd hope for a high resolution if that's the case.

It makes too much sense for Nintendo not to pursue a console add-on that would place it into a headset like the Labo VR did. That was low-res and just a fun toy, but with a serious bump in resolution and refresh rate, they could create something that's at least fun enough for some active games and bonus modes.

splattered

To make CoD development for Switch 2 convenient for CoD developers, the hardware’s going to need much bigger changes than Microsoft can convince Nintendo to implement.

That’s just for CoD 2024, never mind CoD 2029 when 5GB/s+ SSD streaming is considered minimum spec for games to work.

That was kind of my point... i wasn't totally serious either. o_O

I don't actually expect Nintendo to change course because Microsoft.. but i wouldn't be against it either if they did - i will pay the performance tax.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
To be fair, the OS on all of those devices is probably going to take 4GB of RAM while Nintendos OS likely won't take resources away from games.

Unless you mean video RAM which OP isn't clear on.
Don't the Switch and WiiU use 1GB, or 25% available RAM, for the OS? PS4 used 2.5-3GB out of 8GB. If the Switch 2 has 8GB, I'd expect the OS to use a similar amount as well. That would leave 5-6GB of memory for games. Steam Deck has somewhere around 12GB available memory sitting in the OS in desktop mode, and Game Mode reports around the same memory usage. Deck also has access to a NVMe with max read speeds of 3.5GB/s. If the Switch 2 has only 6GB and no SSD it's going to be handicap for multiplat games. It will be like a Series S with 2GB less RAM and no SSD or velocity architecture.

Fake

As much people need to understand their own dissapointment, lets keep in mind that the correct way for comparison in this sittuation is the base Nintendo Switch specs VS Nintendo Switch PRO specs.

At this point is useless trying to comparing Nintendo hardware with competition hardware taking into account Nintendo past history of being the outdated in both hardware and software infraestructure. Nintendo Online is still doing baby steps in comparison with the competition too.

If comparing both Nintendo consoles, will be a modest jump, taking the supposed DLSS support that Switch PRO is gonna have. Otherwise, any other comparison with competition is a road to dissapointment.

Last edited:
I'm struggling to come up with one.
Because the screen is so small, you barely see a difference between 30 and 60 fps already, even though the difference between 60 and 120 is double that, you will even notice much less of a difference if at all on such a tiny screen.

And then you get a lot of drawbacks, more cpu,gpu,battery,memory etc needed to support this as well, and since mobile powered devices have to be very careful with the battery charge they have this would be one of the most stupid upgrades on a gaming handheld.

(Unless it’s for 3D purposes)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Because the screen is so small, you barely see a difference between 30 and 60 fps already, even though the difference between 60 and 120 is double that, you will even notice much less of a difference if at all on such a tiny screen.

And then you get a lot of drawbacks, more cpu,gpu,battery,memory etc needed to support this as well, and since mobile powered devices have to be very careful with the battery charge they have this would be one of the most stupid upgrades on a gaming handheld.

(Unless it’s for 3D purposes)
I notice a massive difference between 60 and 120 on my phone which is much smaller than a switch.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
8GB of RAM would put it at exactly the same ballpark as the PS4, which is precisely what we should be expecting..

It's a hybrid system from Nintendo..

Last edited:

nordique

spec rumors are all over the place. There are also rumors suggesting it has a “regular” display (not 120hz) but 12-16gb system ram and at least 128gb storage space

It’s ok to speculate but don’t take these reports as fact at this point in time especially from questionable track record

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
BOTW maybe, is also a Wii U game, reach native 1080p at least can be possible use DLSS to reach 4k.

Can't say about 60. ARM is still a crap.
Pass. If it isn’t capable of the Xeno series and Zelda games at 60fps, 1080p, oled, then I don’t need it.

Steam deck has spoiled me. I’ll gladly give Nintendo $500+ if the specs and backwards compatibility is there. Of course it would need to follow the Xbox model of giving old games boosts for certain titles, and these first party’s would absolutely need it.

Fake

Pass. If it isn’t capable of the Xeno series and Zelda games at 60fps, 1080p, oled, then I don’t need it.

Steam deck has spoiled me. I’ll gladly give Nintendo $500+ if the specs and backwards compatibility is there. Of course it would need to follow the Xbox model of giving old games boosts for certain titles, and these first party’s would absolutely need it.

Well, Nintendo is also well knowed for their first party miracle games.

I can't say about TOTK, but maybe BOTW can be visible. Will depends of whatever Nvidia technology they gonna put inside the Switch PRO.

schaft0620

Don't the Switch and WiiU use 1GB, or 25% available RAM, for the OS? PS4 used 2.5-3GB out of 8GB. If the Switch 2 has 8GB, I'd expect the OS to use a similar amount as well. That would leave 5-6GB of memory for games. Steam Deck has somewhere around 12GB available memory sitting in the OS in desktop mode, and Game Mode reports around the same memory usage. Deck also has access to a NVMe with max read speeds of 3.5GB/s. If the Switch 2 has only 6GB and no SSD it's going to be handicap for multiplat games. It will be like a Series S with 2GB less RAM and no SSD or velocity architecture.
No

Kumomeme

for Switch if i not mistaken 3.2gb of ram is reserve for game. the rest is OS.

Switch OS is based on from their 3DS

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

New rumor says the Taiwan leak is wrong and that Switch 2 specs much better. 12-16gb ram.

You know, Brazil is way too far from Japan... I'm getting Wii launch vibes when people were saying the Wii was going to be a processing beast.

Kumomeme

New rumor says the Taiwan leak is wrong and that Switch 2 specs much better. 12-16gb ram.

there is rumors that originally they gonna launch Switch Pro during/after pandemic but cancelled it and go straight for next gen Switch 2

what if this rumors is actually refer to the initial specs of the cancelled Pro version?

Last edited:

Kumomeme

based on this site via direct google translate(there might be mistranslation error):
  • SoC — NVIDIA Tegra 239(Codename Drake)
    • Lithograph: TSMC 4N
  • CPU — 8-core A78C @ ??? GHz
  • GPU — GA10F / 12 Ampere SMs(Derived from NVIDIA RTX 3000 series)
    • Dock Performance: 3.5~4.5 TFLOPs
    • Portable Performance: 1.7~2 TFLOPs
  • RAM memory — 12~16 GB in LPDDR5/X
    • Dock Performance: Probable 102 GB/s
    • Portable Performance: Likely Reduction to 88 GB/s
  • Cache — Presence of SysLC unknown . Tegra GPUs, however, can access the CPU Cache to optimize themselves.
  • Display — 8 inches @ 1080p LCD (60 Hz)
  • Internal Storage — 256~512 GB , with UFS 3.X being a likely candidate as read/write technology.
  • Cartridges — Unknown , but 3D-NAND is an option for a significant increase in space in order to reduce costs in relation to existing cartridges.
  • Expanded Storage — Unknown
  • Battery — Unknown

sounds too good and pricier to be true

also the article said 'theoretical specs' lol

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If they launch this crap, an oled steam deck relaunch at retail for $349 with some timed AAA exclusives might start to compete........
Right now the general public has no idea it exists.

BOTW maybe, is also a Wii U game, reach native 1080p at least can be possible use DLSS to reach 4k.

Can't say about 60. ARM is still a crap.

The CPU is the one thing that should be pretty good. A78 has very good IPC but the clock speed is likely to be very low. But even 8x2 Ghz would be better than the Deck.

If they launch this crap, an oled steam deck relaunch at retail for $349 with some timed AAA exclusives might start to compete........

I doubt Valve can get the OLED Deck's price down that low.

Trilobit

Hmmm... That's an interesting idea. I think there is a slight possibility that Nintendo would like to sell a cardboard VR like accessory, but in plastic and better. It would tie in to the whole Switch brand and differentiate it from Deck. I wonder how difficult it would be to make upgraded joycons more capable for VR gaming? You could have Link archery games like the one on Wii U etc.

I still don't think that's going to happen, I've had bad experiences with the whole "put your smartphone in a headset"-VR. Also, the market for that thing can't be that compelling for Nintendo right now. But you never know with them honestly.

THE DUCK

The CPU is the one thing that should be pretty good. A78 has very good IPC but the clock speed is likely to be very low. But even 8x2 Ghz would be better than the Deck.

I doubt Valve can get the OLED Deck's price down that low.

Not sure, comes down to what amd charges for cpu and then that screen......the rest isn't too bad. Also depends on much valve is willing to spend to bring more people into the Steam storefront, which no doubt drives revenue per customer aquired on an ongoing basis.

Last edited:

Fake

Only if you compare with another ARM. x86 are galaxy aheads in score and perfomance.

ReyBrujo

Doubt Steam Deck exclusives would match Nintendo's in terms of general public attraction. And well, Nintendo is used at people calling their portables crap, and we know how that goes.

THE DUCK

Doubt Steam Deck exclusives would match Nintendo's in terms of general public attraction. And well, Nintendo is used at people calling their portables crap, and we know how that goes.

I dont expect it to fail, it just leaves the door open to competition.

Yes the exclusives would have to be great. Some cash to ms, a little portable halo exclusive, forza exclusive, and half life 3 anyone?

Zannegan

I know which of the two rumors I *want* to believe, but I've been following Nintendo for too many generations to assume that they wouldn't skimp on a key component like ram for their own, inscrutable reasons. The rumor/hype cycle for the Wii U was illuminating to say the least

It's the same reason I'm inclined to lend credence to what Rich from DF said about Nintendo not including the DLA accelerator found in other, similar NVidia chips. Significantly improving DLSS performance would just make too much sense for Nintendo to include it in their next gen hybrid.

in short, the Big N is a house full of crazy wizards, but that's what makes them so much fun to watch.

Woopah

I know which of the two rumors I *want* to believe, but I've been following Nintendo for too many generations to assume that they wouldn't skimp on a key component like ram for their own, inscrutable reasons. The rumor/hype cycle for the Wii U was illuminating to say the least

It's the same reason I'm inclined to lend credence to what Rich from DF said about Nintendo not including the DLA accelerator found in other, similar NVidia chips. Significantly improving DLSS performance would just make too much sense for Nintendo to include it in their next gen hybrid.

in short, the Big N is a house full of crazy wizards, but that's what makes them so much fun to watch.
The DLA thing never made much sense since (as far as I know) DLA has never been used to improve DLSS or for any gaming use whatsoever.

It was just Rich speculating about something which could be done (and then confirming it wasn't being done).

Three

The Steam Deck has 16GB of Ram.

The ROG Ally has 16GB of Ram.

The Lenovo Go has 16GB of Ram.

The next phone i am going to buy in a month from now is rumored to have 16GB of Ram.

For Switch 2 - i am expecting 16GB of Ram.
You forgot the amazing Series S you were happy about not long ago: 10GB (only 8GB really usable at a decent speed too). I've got to say you complaining about a portable Nintendo system having 8GB of RAM is a bit of a surprise. It certainly would be great to have more RAM but I imagine Nintendo want to sell their hardware at a huge markup at affordable prices so 16GB might not really be happening. At least it will get easier PS4 ports/games now with 8GB.

Last edited:

Tarin02543

You forgot the amazing Series S you were happy about not long ago: 10GB (only 8GB really usable at a decent speed too). I've got to say you complaining about a portable Nintendo system having 8GB of a RAM is a bit of a surprise. It certainly would be great to have more RAM but I imagine Nintendo want to sell their hardware at a huge markup at affordable prices so 16GB might not really be happening. At least it will get easier PS4 ports/games now with 8GB.

This. Phones have massive ram pools to carry all that mandatory bloat are.

Three

I don't think it's anywhere near 1 GB. This guy is twat I don't like but he got a photo from a Nintendo presentation:

Last edited:
Top Bottom