• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UniversoNintendo: Switch 2 hardware will feature 12 GB of RAM and raytracing. DLSS will be 3.1 instead of 3.5

Draugoth

Gold Member

From my sources now: The DLSS version shown behind closed doors by the "Nintendo Switch 2" tech demo was 3.1 and not 3.5 as reported or pointed out by Eurogamer.
Ray-Tracing is indeed possible and the RAM memory I was told was 12 GB for the consumer.

Source has been right on some information such as that EA would no longer making the legacy games Fifa for Switch and on previous Direct dates. Still not 100% accurate.

Switch 2 Recent Discussion Thread with Gamescom Leak

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Lets Go Sport GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So that basically means no framegen right? Or is that DLSS 3.0+, and 3.5 is just the RT denoising stuff?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
A shame it's 3.1 but I'm just happy it's DLSS 3 at all.
It doesn't. NVIDIA has rebranded DLSS. DLSS 3.0 no longer mean frame generation necessarily.

3.5 has been coined a few months/weeks ago and is called that because of the addition of ray reconstruction for all RTX-based GPUs.

Frame Generation is still part of DLSS but it's a separate feature. RTX 20 and 30 series cannot use frame generation.

The optical flow accelerator of 20 and 30 series is presumably too weak for proper frame generation. If Nintendo's next-gen console's GPU is Lovelace, it should have the capability for frame generation. That they say 3.1 in the article implies that there's no ray reconstruction but frame generation might still be in the cards.

Last edited:
If this has any chance of being true 12 GB of RAM would be quite nice for this thing
IIRC in the leaked Nvidia SoC specs there was a mention that it might support two RAM configs, a 12GB one and 16GB one. It's a safe guess to go with the "lower" 12GB amount here. Very curious about the memory bandwidth though.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
12gb means it'll have more RAM than the Series S. And that's if this rumor is correct vs Nintendo just going with the 16gb like that of Steam Deck and Legion Go.

I have no idea what MS was thinking with the design of that console. They went too conservative

Last edited:
12gb means it'll have more RAM than the Series S. And that's if this rumor is correct vs Nintendo just going with the 16gb like that of Steam Deck and Legion Go.

I have no idea what MS was thinking with the design of that console. They went too conservative
Microsoft has always been stingy with memory. I've never really understood that. ESRAM and all that jazz.

Tarin02543

It doesn't. NVIDIA has rebranded DLSS. DLSS 3.0 no longer mean frame generation necessarily.

3.5 has been coined a few months/weeks ago and is called that because of the addition of ray reconstruction for all RTX-based GPUs.

Frame Generation is still part of DLSS but it's a separate feature. RTX 20 and 30 series cannot use frame generation.

The motion flow accelerator of 20 and 30 series is presumably too weak for proper frame generation. If Nintendo's next-gen console's GPU is Lovelace, it should have the capability for frame generation. That they say 3.1 in the article implies that there's no ray reconstruction but frame generation might still be in the cards.

Makes sense since the leaked SoC is Ampere (RTX 30)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
12 gb of ram should help mitigate the ram bottlenecks series s is running into, but if series s is any indication, 4 tflops wont be enough. dlss is great for upscaling from 1080p but trust me, no one wants to upscale from 560p no matter what nvidia says.

plus dlss has its own cost on the gpu.

Cyberpunkd

The optical flow accelerator of 20 and 30 series is presumably too weak for proper frame generation. If Nintendo's next-gen console's GPU is Lovelace, it should have the capability for frame generation. That they say 3.1 in the article implies that there's no ray reconstruction but frame generation might still be in the cards.
Oh no, it’s going to have one bullet point and not the other bullet point.

MadPanda

Banned

If this console releases in 2024 it will be 4 years between series s and switch 2.

Anyway, I doubt every leak until we have official specs, especially these too optimistic. That would be just setting myself for a possible disappointment.

Top Bottom