• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 Can Run BOTW at 4K Res, 60 FPS; May Be Capable of Better Ray Tracing Than PS5/Xbox Series X

StueyDuck

The new 3DS was more powerful than the gamecube by a large margin, though. Just didn't have the games to really show it (outside of like Minecraft)
It really wasn't. It was still mobile chipsets. By virtue of being modern chips at the time sure they were "stronger" but just have a look at these 240p atrocities and tell me that's what your GameCube put out

Last edited:

BlackTron

Your maths isa year off.

Switch 1 used 2 year old components from 2015 and released in 2017. If the Switch 2 releases in 2024 then its two year old components will be from 2022. 7 years after the 2015 ones.

Nice try, but you are counting on Nvidia to have a bunch of 2 year old chips laying around for a massive hardware launch.

Wii U was a disaster and Nintendo was trying to pivot without the confidence they have today in the product. They got Nvidia's old stock at a bargain price. They are in an entirely new business position, and Nvidia doesn't have old shit laying around after Covid. It's a different world today.

BlackTron

hey i don't want Switch2 games to perform poorly. if the new hardware enables 1080p 60 on every new release and a boost to perf on older titles too thats great, i want switch 2 players to have a great experience with their new system...

But i like my yuzu. I dont really like having to pull out my switch to finish up a game or two. 🤷‍♂️

xBJhX4M.gif

lmao at everyone comparing Switch 2, which will sell 150+ million units, to muh Deck and muh ROG which are niche enthusiast devices

Nintendo can broker much better deals for hardware parts because they're going to be ordering tens of millions of them every year. They can also launch at $500 and sell out every shipment for 2 years at least.

Switch 2 is going to be a monster and it's hilarious that so many grown adults feel threatened by that

SolidQ

From 2022 news
If the Tegra T239 is a customised Tegra T234, it should be based on NVIDIA's Ampere architecture. Reputedly, the Tegra T239 will contain 2,048 CUDA cores, up from 256 shader cores in the Maxwell-based Tegra X1. Nominally, the Tegra T239 should deliver 4 TFLOPs of performance too, a 10x increase on the Switch's current 0.4 TFLOP output.

All we know Ampere is Double TF, real shoud be 2TF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
By virtue of being modern chips at the time sure they were "stronger"
Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Like i said, just didn't have the games to show it. More powerful doesn't = better looking games, automatically.
Also, that's a terrible example. Hyrule Warriors is just a miserable experience on 3DS all around. a better game would be something like OOT3D or Xenoblade 3DS which was incredibly impressive for the system.

BlackTron

lmao at everyone comparing Switch 2, which will sell 150+ million units, to muh Deck and muh ROG which are niche enthusiast devices

Nintendo can broker much better deals for hardware parts because they're going to be ordering tens of millions of them every year. They can also launch at $500 and sell out every shipment for 2 years at least.

Switch 2 is going to be a monster and it's hilarious that so many grown adults feel threatened by that

If you think grown adults feel threatened. I wanna see how Sony looks in 2 years.

As for Xbox

already-dead.gif

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Let me just say this.. if this is In anyway close to true I am going to laugh forever!

All my post are just going to be … hahahahahahahahahahah!!! ..

I’ll be banned in less than a week for sure. 🤣

JordiENP

Yes. on a stationary system with a full size GPU. Not a fucking 7 inch tablet.

If this is really a Switch 2, then most if not all of these rumors are 100% fake. Look at mobile phones, do you see them running anything close to consoles at the moment?
Mobile phones don't have active cooling and the ones that do depends on the same snapdragon architecture and not Nvidia.

BlackTron

They have Spiderman. I think they'll be fine

You just proved my point by calling them "fine". Not saying they will be destitute but I think N might have em on the backfoot and seeing them as a larger threat than Xbox. And a more confusing nut to crack too. Casual market responded well to Switch but it was "okay" due to massive power gap. If they start closing that gap it will not be okay anymore lol.

BlackTron

I overclocked my switch and yes it goes brrrrr. Also runs everything smooth as f. The switch is more capable than what Nintendo sells, the reason is downclocked is because of the battery. Without that $5 fan the switch would melt at higher clocks.

My man. My mod chip is en route from China, can't wait for 60FPS TOTK on a Mariko. Put down the game until I could do this.

KXVXII9X

I think DLSS will go a long way to mask the huge gulf in performance between Switch successor and current-gen consoles. Still though, using Switch as the comparison, we are in for a substantial increase in performance, I think. Which is exciting.
Very exciting indeed! I think the DLSS will be a nice boost for sure. Even having most games be at least 1080p or resolution would be a massive step over the sometimes sub 720p resolution of the Switch. Better Anti-aliasing will also give Nintendo games a nice boost as well.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The switch is more capable than what Nintendo sells, the reason is downclocked is because of the battery.
so if the Switch 2 hardware ends up being that powerful and it gets downclocked for battery saving measures how the fuck is that a 'powerful system'?

Nintendo will never allow you to change switch clocks/speeds for better performance so the theoretical power of the system doesn't matter anyways.

You just proved my point by calling them "fine". Not saying they will be destitute but I think N might have em on the backfoot and seeing them as a larger threat than Xbox. And a more confusing nut to crack too. Casual market responded well to Switch but it was "okay" due to massive power gap. If they start closing that gap it will not be okay anymore lol.
Fair enough, lol. I'd kind of like to see a Nintendo gen with no catch. Powerful hardware and insane third party support, and the same IPs that have kept them afloat for 40 years. Imagine the dominance. Nintendo's hubris and weird design decisions held them back during the N64 and Gamecube gen, a console where everything is on par with the competitors and it's just up to who has the best games... holy fuck.

Last edited:

JordiENP

My man. My mod chip is en route from China, can't wait for 60FPS TOTK on a Mariko. Put down the game until I could do this.
I overclock and play at 30 fps on handheld mode but I use an app called Reverse NX. Basically runs at the highest definition the game can run docked but on handheld mode, extra crisp.

JordiENP

so if the Switch 2 hardware ends up being that powerful and it gets downclocked for battery saving measures how the fuck is that a 'powerful system'?

Nintendo will never allow you to change switch clocks/speeds for better performance so the theoretical power of the system doesn't matter anyways.

Fair enough, lol. I'd kind of like to see a Nintendo gen with no catch. Powerful hardware and insane third party support, and the same IPs that have kept them afloat for 40 years. Imagine the dominance. Nintendo's hubris and weird design decisions held them back during the N64 and Gamecube gen, a console where everything is on par with the competitors and it's just up to who has the best games... holy fuck.
Because I was talking about active cooling and Nvidia vs phones and their adrenos. If the switch didn't have active cooling I wouldn't be able to overclock. Nintendo themselves utilize different clock speeds on different games on handheld mode. With Dlss and FSR you can play at "higher resolutions" utilizing less power. People forget the switch has tech from 8 years ago. Right now even thermal paste is more advanced.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If the switch didn't have active cooling I wouldn't be able to overclock.
You know what you also need with your Switch in order to be able to overclock?

A modchip. either that or an early model switch. Most people do not have those, so the default clocks are basically what the system's power is to most people.

Alebrije

Just imagine the letdown once Nintendo announces Switch 2 and barely handles dynamic 4k 30fps no RT and other gingles...

BlackTron

I overclock and play at 30 fps on handheld mode but I use an app called Reverse NX. Basically runs at the highest definition the game can run docked but on handheld mode, extra crisp.

I'll look into that app thanks sounds useful. I don't think I would play TOTK handheld but my first thought is fixing the mess in Link's Awakening.
You know what you also need with your Switch in order to be able to overclock?

A modchip. either that or an early model switch. Most people do not have those, so the default clocks are basically what the system's power is to most people.

The relevant part is, Nintendo added a fan, making it a more dynamic game-console piece of kit than a phone/tablet. So comparing Switch directly to a phone to prove what is possible is disingenuous, that's his point.

Raonak

Banned
The promise of powerful Nintendo hardware is a fool's errand.

The device is gonna be a generational upgrade over the switch. And that's pretty much it.

Nintendo knows it's struck gold at the mid range handheld price. They aren't gonna for a 499 device in this economy.

Last edited:

BlackTron

The promise of powerful Nintendo hardware is a fool's errand.

The device is gonna be a generational upgrade over the switch. And that's pretty much it.

I honestly don't think it's going to be that powerful. As usual, it's gonna be yesterday's games.

Oh wait. Diminishing returns happened, and so did COVID and cross-gen. Yesterdays games are practically today's games! Fuck!!

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Who comes up with all this stupid shit information? Switch 2 is gonna be a hybrid. Portability is gonna be a massive selling point. Anyone with a fucking brain knows that portability comes at a cost: battery life, or in other words power consumption.

Don't get your hopes up. Just - use - your - brains.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Who comes up with all this stupid shit information? Switch 2 is gonna be a hybrid. Portability is gonna be a massive selling point. Anyone with a fucking brain knows that portability comes at a cost: battery life, or in other words power consumption.

Yes its all true they always say powerful but then its weak crud

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

Nintendo knows it's struck gold at the mid range handheld price. They aren't gonna for a 499 device in this economy.
$500+ PS5 was constantly sold out for 2 years. People, especially early adopters, will absolutely pay $500 for a Switch 2 that plays next gen COD, GTA, Fifa/Madden, MK9, Smash, Odyssey 2, etc. The original Switch is still $350 ffs

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Can’t say I am surprise since PS5 is old tech by now. Having a hybrid between the level of PS4 Pro and PS5 is enticing. Its essentially the PS4 portable that Playstation fans insist isn’t possible, except it won’t have Playstation first party games for obvious reason.

shamoomoo

You guys  really need to stop believing these sketchy rumours so easily.
4k60fps RT, in a handheld that will be less powerful than a iPhone.

Think Use Your Head GIF by LeVar Burton
Again, it's faux K instead of 4K,the image is going to be upscaled to appear higher resolution than what it really is. Maybe there might be some modest ray tracing in docked mode.

If it needs Dlss to hit 4k 60, dose it not show how underpowered it is, native 4k 60fps should be easy with switch games.

Not that I believe any of these bogus rumours.

Last edited:

It’s Project Cafe and to some degree NX all over again.

Best to just wait for the official announcement .

$500+ PS5 was constantly sold out for 2 years. People, especially early adopters, will absolutely pay $500 for a Switch 2 that plays next gen COD, GTA, Fifa/Madden, MK9, Smash, Odyssey 2, etc. The original Switch is still $350 ffs

Didn't happen for PS3 though. Got spanked by Wii60, and MS squandered the goodwill they had at that time, so things were a bit different.

Switch 2 better be a mighty good value proposition even at $400 let alone $500.

zeldaring

Banned
I honestly don't think it's going to be that powerful. As usual, it's gonna be yesterday's games.

Oh wait. Diminishing returns happened, and so did COVID and cross-gen. Yesterdays games are practically today's games! Fuck!!
Only problem is 2 years from now there won't any cross gen games anymore. So switch 2 might have 1 good year of support.

BlackTron

Only problem is 2 years from now there won't any cross gen games anymore. So switch 2 might have 1 good year of support.

The gap between Switch 2 and PS5/XSX will be smaller than the gap between Switch 1 and PS4/Xbox One. I never meant to suggest full parity.

It will be close enough to be a real bitch for Sony and MS though. A bigger bitch than Switch 1 which already paved the road for it. If they got Witcher 3 to work on Switch then a nerfed version of almost any third party game is in the cards here. Thing is -it may be nerfed but it won't look like total shit and won't take buckets of elbow grease to shoehorn onto the system. It's a pretty big deal when you think about it.

zeldaring

Banned
The gap between Switch 2 and PS5/XSX will be smaller than the gap between Switch 1 and PS4/Xbox One. I never meant to suggest full parity.

It will be close enough to be a real bitch for Sony and MS though. A bigger bitch than Switch 1 which already paved the road for it. If they got Witcher 3 to work on Switch then a nerfed version of almost any third party game is in the cards here. Thing is -it may be nerfed but it won't look like total shit and won't take buckets of elbow grease to shoehorn onto the system. It's a pretty big deal when you think about it.
Well see how plays put. I honestly think switch got a massive boost cause of covid and free money. With parents buying it for their children. Playstation and switch have a different audience. Online gamers ain't gonna wanna switch for inferior hardware and inferior online experience.

Interfectum

This is exactly right. Also expect games like Fortnite and Rocket League to run much better on Switch 2. Big portable sellers there.

Raonak

Banned

I mean, have you tried playing a cross gen game on last gen hardware? The results aren't pretty. Even Series S results aren't looking to pretty.
Running a switch game at 4K60 is a pretty easy task for most modern hardware.
But running modern games on modern engines is another thing entirely.

switch2 is gonna run into the exact same problems that other hardware has when running modern games.
actually, worse, because since switch2 is constrained by additional battery life and heat constraints.

Nintendo isn't targeting early adopters which will go for higher prices.
Their most successful devices have always been mass market device that are priced well (blue ocean strategy)
Nintendo knows how dangerous it is to go for a higher price, WiiU and 3DS launch was evident of that.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Yes. You're not wrong there. But also that's where DLSS can help. PS5 and xsx can do 4k, then Switch 2 comes with 540p-720p DLSS'd to 1080/1440p. DLSS came at the perfect time for Nintendo.

Yeah, a reminder for peoples :

And these were the early DLSS versions. DLSS would make it punch way above its weight

Like, you need to beat PS4 in raw power, then DLSS will just leverage everything up. A sprinkle of Ampere architecture advancements, IO management, RT, ML, then you'll start to get comparisons with current gen games because it has been a very soft departure from old gen on all fronts so far, even some questionable exclusives that are "why couldn't it run on PS4?"

Not saying there wouldn't be cut corners, but the diminishing returns are out of this world this gen thus far. Switch 2 could come in and get very good impressions just by being above PS4.

IAmRei

This is the bare minimum

This is hardware 4 years after PS5 and XSX
It is going to be more powerful than the Series S thanks to DLSS and Nvidia magic

All it needs is decent base performance and you can upscale everything
yep, i think i can be agree with advancement, but hopefully the battery life is also nice

CGNoire

This is retarded. Use your brain. No 2-4 tflops Nvidia GPU beats out 10-12 tflops RDNA gpus in ray tracing. Even with DLSS. Just stop.

Alex even tried to make the 7 tflops RTX 2060 super comparisons stick but that lasted maybe two games. Lumen RT is literally 1:1 with nvidia and AMD tflops. So UE5 games on the switch will perform like the series s at best. Blocky, blurry 480p messes.
...but....but...but people said the Matrix Demo looked the same on the S? 😆

Top Bottom