• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
My PSVR has been nothing but a dust collector for about 3 weeks. Playing RE7 on my TV, tried the RE7 demo and it gave me motion sickness.

Just wanted to tell y'all..and I think this is a known thing but I tested it awhile ago..you can use two extenstion cables connected together.

I called Sony Support and pretended my cable was bad so they sent me a new one. It's nice having 12 feet of slack now ..too bad there are zero games worth breaking it out for. Star Trek can't come soon enough.

You are missing out on the the first landmark type of amazing experience in RE7 which is the lengthy PSVR single player game that a lot of users have been clamoring for. It's here.

Speaking of RE7 and VR, I find the "smoothing" option far more enjoyable and playable than the angled segment movement option. The latter of which for me is disorienting and removes the player from the experience (the feeling of presence) a bit.

Does Robinson have this same sort of "smoothing" natural control option, I know it has the segmented option?

themoose5

Neo Member
I thought one of the unwritten rules of VR was normal first person controls are the fastest way to make someone puke, yet the biggest and arguably most successful VR game in RE7 has exactly that. I've put 5 hours into it and I don't have a single comfort aid enabled and walking at normal speed. I also haven't heard many other reports of people being sick unlike Driveclub which was pretty mixed (didn't affect me either).

Did Capcom do something different. Or are FPS controls totally usable? To date the only game that has made me quesy was Windlands, but that was only once after a fairly long session.

I think it varies from person to person depending on how susceptible you are to motion sickness and how adjusted to being in VR you are. I would say that the common wisdom that first person controls are the fastest way to make someone puke are still true but not necessarily true for everyone.

I for sure wouldn't recommend first person controls for someone's first experience in VR, it's more of something to build up to.

isucamper1

Neo Member
I'm having forehead pain after using PSVR for more than 30 mins. Anyone else?

Yes! I struggle a lot with this and I'm surprised no one else mentions it. I think it must mean I have a big melon. It's like the band is too tight and I can relieve the pain by holding the button on the back of the strap in, but as soon as I let go it hurts again. It only sets in after about 30 minutes of play. Sometimes I can get it adjusted to the point where it's comfortable, but I've yet to figure out what the trick is.

LowSignal

I had a drifiting issue(screen would slowly move left so I would have to turn my neck to look straight) on my headset that I later sold after launch. Anyone know if that is something they patched?

DjRalford

I had a drifiting issue(screen would slowly move left so I would have to turn my neck to look straight) on my headset that I later sold after launch. Anyone know if that is something they patched?

If I get drift I usually turn off the PS4, power cycle the PU, and restart.

It solves it 100% of the time for me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Finall snagged a PSVR a few days ago. After playing the demo disc and RE7 VR all day the last couple days, I feel like I'm still in VR while back in the real world. I guess this is common and lasts a few days? It's pretty weird.

That aside, my god is playing resident evil in VR terrifying and incredible. It's taking me a long time to get through the game because I keep stopping to look at all the details in the environment. Feels like a real place!

It means you played it a little too long with no breaks. It happened to me too. I was literally walking around my house and at work seeing VR objects and reaching for them. This usually happens when you first start VR. It's as if you burned and image into your brain's thoughts the same way Plasma TVs had burn-in if you left a static image on the TV too long.

Hey PS VR GAF, did you see this portal ? I think it only count players who registered on Resident Evil.net, but that's very interesting for the PS VR data.

LJoCvvl.jpg

Flandy

Hey PS VR GAF, did you see this portal ? I think it only count players who registered on Resident Evil.net, but that's very interesting for the PS VR data.

LJoCvvl.jpg

Wow. 63,746 users playing this on PSVR. 9.6%

That's a massive success, surely. I've just added myself to that number, and the hype was true. It is a fantastic game in VR, the strongest sense of presence I've had so far.

I'm having forehead pain after using PSVR for more than 30 mins. Anyone else?

Me too, especially if I slide the back upwards to get as little light leaking in as possible...I've got a Van Damme bump on my forhead though and that hurts the most. Sucks but it's better when I slide the back down.

*Splinter

I guess thats a good number? Wish the VR number was way higher though. People need to see this. I can't even fathom playing RE7 on a flat 2D screen after being inside of it.
The absolute number is somewhat useless, since it only counts people who joined the Resi net thing.

10% in VR though... I have nothing to compare it to, but given the number of VR units out there (compared to PS4 + Xbone + gaming PCs) this seems impressive.

chekhonte

I just got a psvr from presumably the new batch. It's my first vr experience.

Is the screen supposed to be this bad? I understand that theres a screen door effect but the quality of the screen is just bad. There's quite a bit of light bleed and the color is quite a bit washed out.

Did I get a bad unit or is that the general quality of the psvr?

Everything else is great but man it's driving me a little nuts.

Is the screen supposed to be this bad? I understand that theres a screen door effect but the quality of the screen is just bad. There's quite a bit of light bleed and the color is quite a bit washed out.

Did you remove the plastic lens protecting stickers?

chekhonte

Lol no I didn't know they were there. I'll look for them when I get home.

Thanks a ton.

EDIT: it seems that mine didn't ship with film covering the lenses. It seems to be a common thing. I looked at images of the plastic that covers the lenses and it's obvious that they aren't on there.

Tumle

Never had washed out colors.. it can be a little blurry if you don't adjust the headset to be roughly centered for both eyes.. try closing one eye and see if one of your eyes is more out of focuse than the other..
Also like other has said in earlier posts don't push the head band too far down.. think of it as a welders helmet :)

chekhonte

Never had washed out colors.. it can be a little blurry if you don't adjust the headset to be roughly centered for both eyes.. try closing one eye and see if one of your eyes is more out of focuse than the other..
Also like other has said in earlier posts don't push the head band too far down.. think of it as a welders helmet :)

I definitely have it adjusted properly. The image isn't blurry. There's just bad light bleed like with old, like 1990s LCD screens that causes a washed out look. I'll reconnect everything and see if that fixes it at all.

I might also go and check out a demo unit near me and see how it compares to mine.

Edit: scratch that. There are no demo units near me

There shouldn't really be much of a screen door effect, well there is but very subtle in comparison to the Vive and Rift. That is always the first thing I notice when I mess with the Vive after coming from the PSVR. The mura (grainy effect in dark scenes) is quite noticeable at first but I rarely notice it anymore.

Some games can look worse than others as some aren't outputting native res, at its best I'd say it is slightly better than a 720p screen. The further things are away from you the less clarity they have due to the resolution. Colours depend on the games but not as vibrant as a new LED but look in your headset settings to see what the brightness settings are. Also make sure you set up your eye distance (IPD) as well.

majik13

I thought one of the unwritten rules of VR was normal first person controls are the fastest way to make someone puke, yet the biggest and arguably most successful VR game in RE7 has exactly that. I've put 5 hours into it and I don't have a single comfort aid enabled and walking at normal speed. I also haven't heard many other reports of people being sick unlike Driveclub which was pretty mixed (didn't affect me either).

Did Capcom do something different. Or are FPS controls totally usable? To date the only game that has made me quesy was Windlands, but that was only once after a fairly long session.

RE7 hasn't made me feel nauseous at all. I'm not sure whether they've done some magical, or whether its months of playing other games beforehand. Rigs is the only game that still gives me issues.

I haven't played the final game, only the Demo, but I think having the flashlight be the main source of illumination helps a lot, most nausea and eye strain comes from artificial(stick) movement, from fast moving imagery in the periphery of the eye. Thats why games like Rigs and Eagle Flight have that comfort mode that darkens the edges. But RE7 mostly has this always built in with the flashlight, and most of the graphics and lighting is already generally dark.

chekhonte

There shouldn't really be much of a screen door effect, well there is but very subtle in comparison to the Vive and Rift. That is always the first thing I notice when I mess with the Vive after coming from the PSVR. The mura (grainy effect in dark scenes) is quite noticeable at first but I rarely notice it anymore.

Some games can look worse than others as some aren't outputting native res, at its best I'd say it is slightly better than a 720p screen. The further things are away from you the less clarity they have due to the resolution. Colours depend on the games but not as vibrant as a new LED but look in your headset settings to see what the brightness settings are. Also make sure you set up your eye distance (IPD) as well.

I've only played re7 with the vr on my pspro but it still could be out of native res and a little googling suggests that that game does look washed some.

I have not adjusted the ipd nor the brightness. I didn't know there was a vr menu in the settings. I'll definitely do that. Having the brightness up to high could definitely cause these problems

LJoCvvl.jpg

With this we can confirm that Sony has sold more than 64K PSVR headsets :p

Still nice stat though, maybe in a month or so it will be at 200K, yesterday it was at 55K so it's definitely growing. People just waiing for a price drop.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Are they not making any more PSVR headsets?

I check amazon every fucking week, I have $205 amazon credit I want to use on this thing
All are resellers with absurd pricing

I have the camera, I have move controller, can I please buy the fucking base headset for $399.99...

How long do I have to wait for restock?

chekhonte

As a bonus i have zero vr motion sickness problems. On re7 I have fluid turning on with fast turning on and I feel totally fine. Played 2 hours today and two hours lady night and never felt sick or dizzy. I'm psyched.

I check amazon every fucking week, I have $205 amazon credit I want to use on this thing

I have the camera, I have move controller, can I please buy the fucking base headset for $399.99...

I think this is gonna go on for months. You've got alot of people probably hell-bent on getting one, and to exasperate the situation the scalpers see it as an opportunity to exploit the market until supply catches demand.

chekhonte

Game stop has them online

I basically have zero motion sickness with RE7. I play seated, with smooth camera rotation turned all the way to 10 and walking speed the fastest. Zero motion sickness, even when turning around with the right stick constantly.

Now, I have built my VR legs over the course of a year with Gear VR and other games, but I still get queasy from time to time with certain games. Windlands can make me uncomortable after a while for example. But I'm not sure what they did with RE7. Does it just boil down to smooth performance?

Played RIGS for around 3h total and I'm loving it! Turned off the VR comfort setting, stick turn speed to 6 and I didn't encounter any physical discomfort playing it, VR legs really is a thing.
Two months ago I couldn't even play the demo without a strange feeling in my stomach.

PSVR gets better for me every time I play it, next up RE7 ;)

chekhonte

Can't use $205 amazon credit I've saved up...
I'm just saying that they're still making them. When Amazon will have them is anybody's guess. You could buy one on GameStop and then use your Amazon bucks for ps4 camera and games since the basic unit doesn't come with them

They are making them, but they had supply problems early on; not sure if they've sorted it out yet.

There are occasional restocks, but the demand means they sell out immediately. A new batch hit Japan this week and people were camping out overnight to get one. Some shops gave out raffle tickets to try to make it fair.

Hopefully in the next month things should even out and they will be able to keep the things in stock.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'm just saying that they're still making them. When Amazon will have them is anybody's guess. You could buy one on GameStop and then use your Amazon bucks for ps4 camera and games since the basic unit doesn't come with them

Have PS4 camera since Day 1 PS4, MOVE since ps3 days

Guess I'll have to do the waiting game
Already have a game sharing club I can rent VR games

chekhonte

Yeah it's a bummer. I was waiting for over a month before I found one. I was even tempted to buy an overpriced on of Craigslist near the end.

Sign up for this: http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/accessories/playstationvr/

As you can see by the history you will have to be quick

Jan 27 - 8:29 AM EST Amazon : Core Headset Out of Stock
Jan 27 - 8:21 AM EST Amazon : Core Headset Preorder for $399.99

So you will probably get about 5 mins to pick one up from getting the notification, they also seem to be coming in every few days on Amazon.com

3Dprinted

Neo Member
It means you played it a little too long with no breaks. It happened to me too. I was literally walking around my house and at work seeing VR objects and reaching for them. This usually happens when you first start VR. It's as if you burned and image into your brain's thoughts the same way Plasma TVs had burn-in if you left a static image on the TV too long.

Dude that's some scary s*** right there! ;) lol
No one actually knows long term effects this technology can have on our brains... I hope the Benz can fix VR tech asap.

Lift the back of the headset up, towards the crown of your head. It pulls the screen closer to your eyes and makes things much clearer

chekhonte

For those playing re7. Is there a way to adust your Characters height? I'm 6 ft 1 and the playable character is like 5ft 6 or something. When I get out of vr I feel like a giant.

chekhonte

Lift the back of the headset up, towards the crown of your head. It pulls the screen closer to your eyes and makes things much clearer
I already have it properly seated on my head. I need to adjust eye distance but everything else is clear. What I'm seeing is a screen problem.

VexyWexy

For those playing re7. Is there a way to adust your Characters height? I'm 6 ft 1 and the playable character is like 5ft 6 or something. When I get out of vr I feel like a giant.

I'm 6'3" and I didn't feel short at all playing the game. My camera is placed under my TV aiming slightly up at me, maybe that makes a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom