• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampyr Will Have 4 Very Different Endings | New Screenshots Released

NeoRaider

Life is Strange developer Dontnod has revealed that it's possible to complete its upcoming gothic RPG Vampyr without killing anyone.

At a recent showcase to show off the game to press, Dontnod's Phillipe Moreau revealed there are four endings to the long-in-development role-playing game.

Vampyr puts plenty of moral choices in the player's path, testing their will and need to kill in order to survive.

”The sum of your decisions and experiences of a Vampyr will trigger very different endings," said Moreau.

”We have four endings, including one if you manage to finish the game without killing anyone. Trust me, that's a very hard challenge."

Vampyr-Screenshot-PC-08-pc-games.jpg

Vampyr-Screenshot-PC-10-pc-games.jpg

Vampyr-Screenshot-PC-09-pc-games.jpg

Vampyr-Screenshot-PC-11-pc-games.jpg

http://www.vg247.com/2017/02/08/you-can-complete-dontnods-vampyr-without-killing-anyone-but-its-a-tough-challenge/

Many previews were released today but they are all FR, ES, DE, IT... i could only find this one that is in English language:

http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331843735902/vampyr-interview-preview-ps4-xbox-one-pc

Hopefully the endings are more than just one final dialogue choice! *cough*

Im almost sure thats how its going to be and I'd rather remain skeptical and be surprised if thats not the case rather than be excited about it and just end up either saving A, B or C type of ending.

danmaku

So weird that this is what they're following up Life is Strange with...

Not really...? It's another story based game with choices and consequences. The only weird thing is putting some RPG elements in the game and I don't know how well they'll glue with the rest but I'm optimistic.

Gbraga

Sounds fantastic, and more gameplay-related than just a final choice deciding which ending you get.

I can't wait to see where my choices lead me. :D

wrowa

So weird that this is what they're following up Life is Strange with...

They were already working on this when Life is Strange was still in development, I believe. It just happened that LiS kinda unexpectedly blew up in popularity, so that they are now known as the Life is Strange studio.

I hope this does well for them. They deserve some success after Life is Strange ended up being as good of a game as it was

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Love the theme and I really enjoyed their last game so consider me hyped.

Call me crazy, but this is one of my most anticipated titles for 2017, too bad we did not get any new footages from this preview.

GavinUK86

Loved Remember Me, really liked Life is Strange, hopefully I'll love this one. Not played a decent vampire RPG since VTMB.

wildfire

Banned
Hopefully the endings are more than just one final dialogue choice! *cough*

Im almost sure thats how its going to be and I'd rather remain skeptical and be surprised if thats not the case rather than be excited about it and just end up either saving A, B or C type of ending.

So did you two play Life is Strange? Is that how it played out. The way it gets praised doesn't seem to mesh with your cynicism.

This is the follow up to Remember Me. Life is Strange is from a smaller team, and they're probably working on something simlar.

Didn't ralize this was the same studio that did Remember Me. Very cool.

Spaghetti

Looking good.

The one problem I have with multiple endings is that it might be a repeat of Life is Strange in that
clearly one ending is the "real" one.

Fury451

Banned
well, hope you're all correct, & that i'm wrong. but, having played remember me (which i liked, btw), i'm still reserving judgement :) ...

I don't blame you; I liked Life Is Strange, and actually liked Remember Me a lot more than I think it gets credit for, but they're still somewhat of an unproven studio when it comes to a larger concept like this. Willing to take the chance myself though. If this pulls off well though, it looks like a pretty unique game. Kinda get some Vampire: The Masquerade vibes from the presentation

Mivey

Played it 3 times and i liked it a lot.
I think that RM is not bad at all and that media was too harsh on it.
The settings was great, but I thought the combat became just boring near the end, and the game isn't really all that long. Also, the plot, I thought, didn't really amount to much. Obvious evil thing is evil, boohoo. Nils father seemed like an interesting character, but gets like 2 seconds of screen time, and Nil herself is never allowed to show much personality. Remarkable how much better they got at characters in their next game.
Looking forward for this one really. Their games are rarely perfect, but usually interesting.

NeoRaider

New and interesting God Is a Geek interview with narrative director Stephane Beauverger about the game:

Life is Strange got such high praise from so many due to its deeply moving storylines and authentic characters, but will Vampyr have the same emotion core as its predecessor?

”All the games made by DONTNOD must have a strong storyline, a strong main character or main characters. Even if there are more important aspects."

”Vampyr will of course have a strong emotional core because you are going to kill a lot of people and it will never be a free pass. Each time you kill someone you will have to face the consequences and the impact on the people who survived – the friends of your victims."

”Reid is a torn character, I can't spoil the game; you must remember that he is just coming back home from the war to the city he were born in, so he will probably meet his family again and he has changed a lot."

Talking about Reid, what is his emotional state after being turned into a beat of the night, a deadly and feared vampire?
”When the game starts Reid wakes up in a mass grave. He just came back from the war – there's a mass epidemic in London. His first reaction is to say – because he is a scientist, someone made a huge mistake – somebody believed I was dead. A few seconds later he is spotted by vampire hunters who start to shoot at him and the bullets just don't kill him."

Then he says, ”okay, something very strange is happening." In the first hour of the game I would say he does not accept what he is. He has to test himself to realise that the sun will now burn his skin and that he can make supernatural jumps, things like that. After about an hour he will accept what he is, he will meet the first major NPCs of the game who will tell him that he is a vampire, deal with it, and then they will teach him how to lead his new life."

Hard choices which affected the story was one of the big appeals of Life is Strange, and it seems as if those difficult decisions will be just as prevalent in Vampyr. In a demonstration, we were shown Tom and Sabrina, the landlords of a rough pub that opens all night in order to give people a place to be and keep them off the streets. Who you decide to kill and feed off will affect what happens to the survivor of the pair.

”There are 60 distinct citizens in the game, there is no nameless Joe character. All of them have names, identities, friends, neighbours, families, so each time you decide to kill one of them it will have a local impact on the people who knew him or her."

”That's the case with Tom and Sabrina; whoever you decide to kill first it will affect the surviving character and if you kill both, the the bar will close down. That is how you will have impact every time you take a life. When you kill a citizen it will not impact the main storyline; that would just create a living nightmare for the writer, to imagine a story that could be impacted by 60 different deaths."

While this sounds really interesting and could provide some difficult emotional dilemmas, will decisions be made in the main campaign too?

”The main storyline will provide you with opportunities to perform what we call a ”major killing choice". It's when you have been asked to make a move against what we call a ”community pillar" – someone who is very important in a specific community. You can decide to kill them, to spare them, or to make them a vampire perhaps. You always have different options. Whatever you decide to do will impact the people inside the district of the town in which this specific target was living. This is how the main storyline will impact the citizens. It does not work from down to up, but up to down."

”In a boss fight, fight against someone and finally decide to spare them or make them into a vampire. Just because you have defeated someone you do not always have to kill them. There will be different factions in the game and you will have to choose a side and this will affect how the game evolves right up to the end. There are four different endings according to what you did in the game."

Speaking of the four different endings, the hardest of them all can only be attained by not killing and feeding off of a single person throughout the entirety of the game. Which sounds both very cool and extremely difficult, being a vampire and all.

”This is the most difficult way to finish the game because that means you will not get a lot of experience points. Most of the experience points are directly linked to the citizens you kill and feed off, so if you try to go through the entire game without killing anybody that means you will stay a very weak character in terms of building up your abilities. That means that you will have to feed on the rats, you will have to find blood bags in the hospital. You will be able then to replenish your blood, but you will not get a lot of experience points. It is possible, but it is the most difficult way to complete the game."

Another game that you may know DONTNOD from is Remember Me, which was a lot more action orientated than Life is Strange, and has undoubtedly been learned from in the development of Vampyr, especially in regards to the combat.

”I believe that when we went to the fighting and combat of Vampyr – because we knew that the hero would have to fight back against those who want to hunt him down, we carefully looked at how the fights in Remember Me were created, what were the core mechanics and what we could learn from them to improve the process. Most importantly, the fighting system in Remember Me was directly linked to the fact that Nilin was slowly remembering what she could do because everything was about memory."

”In Vampyr it is very different, you are now a vampire who has supernatural powers, so we had to create a fighting system that would make the player feel like they actually have a lot of power. You can decide to play as a shadow vampire: discreet and stealthy. You can play as a instinct vampire: much more brutal. Or as a blood vampire, who tried to take control of the blood of his enemies to enhance his own abilities. So the combat in Vampyr is much more RPG oriented, to provide the player with many different abilities and skills, and let them decide what kind of vampire they will be."

Many believe that open worlds are beginning to become weary and difficult to complete, but thankfully Vampyr won't be another massive, sprawling landscape that will take a gazillion hours to complete.

”It is a semi open world; that means that most of the different parts of town are all interconnected and you can go from one to the other very early in the game. Except for one part that is directly linked to the storyline and will be unlocked in the second part of the game, but you are free to go wherever you want."

More: http://www.godisageek.com/2017/02/interview-with-a-vampyr-dontnods-narrative-director-stephane-beauverger/

Sounds great!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Really good interview and I hope them the best. I love narratively ambitious games like this,

Top Bottom