• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we take a moment to appreciate Horizon ZD's diversity efforts?

Toxi

Banned
That's what I'm talking about. It's impossible to represent South Americans because we don't have something in common to represent us.

For example, according from the CIA Factbook:

Uruguay (where I'm from): white 88%, mestizo 8%, black 4%, Amerindian (indigenous) practically nonexistent

Bolivia: mestizo (mixed white and Amerindian ancestry) 68%, indigenous 20%, white 5%, cholo/chola 2%, black 1%, other 1%, unspecified 3%

Brazil: white 47.7%, mulatto (mixed white and black) 43.1%, black 7.6%, Asian 1.1%, indigenous 0.4%

How would that South American character be?

I don't want to make a big deal out of this because I don't really care, it just caught my attention because no one would talk about North Americans as a group when discussing diversity.
I'm from Argentina, so I understand what you're talking about. Most video game characters (Outside football games) from South American countries are from Brazil, maybe Argentina or Colombia. Which represent Uruguay or Bolivia about as well as a Canadian represents Mexico.

Memento

Many recent Ubi games feature a lot of diversity. The record I saw it in Gravity Rush 2: there are NPCs with all skin and hair colors, kids, old people, fat and slim people, rich and poor, etc.

That is nice. I should probably try Ubisoft games again. The last one I played from them was FarCry 3.

And I really need to play Gravity Rush 2...

Q1 2017 is killing my wallet.

RinsFury

It's disingenuous, Gordon. I would have no problem with black Roman emperors, but there simply weren't any. Neither Septimius Severus or Caracalla were black as linked in that absolute, thrash source.

I expect that you're now going to provide proof that there were no black Roman Emperors, instead of just your opinion.

Luxorek

I expect that you're now going to provide proof that there were no black Roman Emperors, instead of just your opinion.

I expect you to provide me with a viable and properly sourced article that there were in fact black emperors and not simply those that were born in North African provinces.

Many recent Ubi games feature a lot of diversity. The record I saw it in Gravity Rush 2: there are NPCs with all skin and hair colors, kids, old people, fat and slim people, rich and poor, etc.

Sony's stepping into a good place with diversity recently but yea, Ubisoft holds the crown so far with the diversity they already have in existing games.

RinsFury

I expect you to provide me with a viable and properly sourced article that there were in fact black emperors and not simply those that were born in North African provinces.

So nothing then. You're just concerned about the idea of a non-white Roman emperor. Got it.

I guess you havent played Far Cry Primal where everyone is brownish and black.

I still dont like the lead character without any scar yet pretty and white, considering the nature of the game.

One of the problems with the "historical context" argument is that it takes the norm and assumes that was the only.

For example, Ni-Oh stars William Adams, a white guy from England, despite being set in 16th century Japan. Even though Japan had trade with Europe, white Englishmen were an extreme minority of the people living there. So would that mean having William as the protagonist is historically inaccurate? Well no, because some white Englishmen did settle in Japan, and one of them was a guy named William Adams.

Of course, this is Ni-Oh so it's historically inaccurate in plenty of other ways, but the point remains.

People look at history and assume "exceptions" should be ignored. But the exceptions happened. Even if black Romans weren't a common sight (I don't know much about Rome), they did exist. A minority of the population is still part of the population, and the idea that showing that sort of minority in a game is "inaccurate" itself reduces historical societies to caricatures.

I like how Nioh handles William culture clashing with the japanese, He even got a nickname because the local people could speak his name properly

Chrisdk

Not really sure why HZD should get special praise here. Many games have had a diverse cast of minor characters and NPCs before.

The jury is still out, but it seems like they took a native american and made her white. It will probably end up like another white savior story.

Luxorek

So nothing then. You're just concerned about the idea of a non-white Roman emperor. Got it.

eyeroll.gif

Nice argumentum ad personam. Find better sources mate.

Edit: For clarity, nowhere did I write that they were both white. I simply say they weren't black. Severius had Punic and possibly Libyan ancestry on his father's side, he could well be considered to be party Berber. Again, being born in Africa doesn't make you black.

orochi91

I dunno.

I'm gonna need to see a lot more Asians than what they've shown so far for me to consider this a good attempt at diversity.

The fact that the main lead is white, again, immediately makes the diversity in this game seem "hallow" and insincere.

Dalibor68

Banned
The fact that the main lead is white, again, immediately makes the diversity in this game seem "hallow" and insincere.

I find this to be an extremely toxic and damaging stance to have. Not just ignoring that she's far from your average stereotypical female protagonist and generalizing some supposed "whiteness", you're discrediting every other character in this game based on that as well.

I find this to be an extremely toxic and damaging stance to have. Not just ignoring that she's far from your average stereotypical female protagonist and generalizing some supposed "whiteness", you're discrediting every other character in this game based on that as well.

She looks kinda average to be honest, the game really needs to put some good development on her and dont fall into following orders from other people.

Memento

Not really sure why HZD should get special praise here. Many games have had a diverse cast of minor characters and NPCs before.

The jury is still out, but it seems like they took a native american and made her white. It will probably end up like another white savior story.

It is the most recent AAA hyped game releasing in less than 20 days and it has some pretty amazing diversity efforts. Asian, african, brown, afro american, etc.

I just wanted to celebrate the evolution of our industry and this is the most recent example of that.

But you can try to find an agenda on that if you want it, I dont care.

Alej

Banned
I like the redhead protagonist. I like redheads. I like me. Easy.

If everyone wants to be represented, it's because they only identify to people who looks like them. And making those distinctions is racism.

That's bad. Every party talking is bad here. Those characters are all humans like us.

To me.

orochi91

This is about diversity, and this is yet another AAA game with a white lead. I've grown tired of this trope, especially since as an Asian I'm barely seeing any representation of my ethnic group.

They can address this concern by allowing players to swap the main lead's colour/ethnicity. It's an RPG, so a character creator would not be out of place.

Mind you, I'm still getting the game because the setting is phenomenal, but yea, not particularly impressed with the developer's attempt at diversity so far.

pashmilla

Banned
I like the redhead protagonist. I like redheads. I like me. Easy.

If everyone wants to be represented, it's because they only identify to people who looks like them. And making those distinctions is racism.

That's bad. Every party talking is bad here. Those characters are all humans like us.

To me.

Please, please let this be sarcasm.

SerTapTap

Can't decide whether I'm more annoyed at the "who needs inclusivity anyway" or the "it's not TRULY inclusive if she's white" so I'll just enjoy this game that looks fucking awesome and is easily more inclusive than 95% of AAA games regardless of either dumb argument.

Memento

This is about diversity, and this is yet another AAA game with a white lead. I've grown tired of this trope, especially since as an Asian I'm barely seeing any representation of my ethnic group.

They can address this concern by allowing players to swap the main lead's colour/ethnicity. It's an RPG, so a character creator would not be out of place.

Mind you, I'm still getting the game because the setting is phenomenal, but yea, not particularly impressed with the developer's attempt at diversity so far.

So you cant appreciate the diversity efforts in the game because the main character is white? How is that remotely right?

Can you at least appreciate the fact that Aloy is a non-sexualized female lead in a high profile AAA game?

Well it's not like I came in here and made a shitpost. Why even reply if you have nothing to say? These are honest questions and I got some really good answers.

Yours is the definition of a shitpost, one that's a xerox of every single one about "colorblindness" ever, which coincidentally always comes from white males asking what's the big deal about having people of color in games and implying how people are shallow because they care about skin color and they don't, without realizing they live in a white male world. I'm glad other people have the patience, goodwill and energy to inform you of what you could have taken the time to research yourself, or simply realize using a modicum of empathy and common sense, but you are in no way entitled to that kindness from everyone, and after being burned with so many concern trolls I certainly don't feel obligated to extend it to you.

Now feel free to tone police me as per the Concern Troll Field Manual.

Unison

I am getting this because I love Monster Hunter and this has a similar vibe, but the one cutscene I saw had Z-tier acting. Truly abysmal.

Has it been confirmed if the cutscenes in this are skippable? I have no interest in sitting through them.

Yea, I am not really feeling the story either. To me it just seems like a color by numbers script followed by the white washing of native americans. Shame to, they could of really done something.

orochi91

So you cant appreciate the diversity efforts in the game because the main character is white? How is that remotely right?
Because the status quo remains the same.

Game devs for the most part still are reluctant to have minorities as main/lead characters.

The diversity in H:ZD simply doesn't go far enough to satisfy me.

Agreed.

Memento

I am getting this because I love Monster Hunter and this has a similar vibe, but the one cutscene I saw had Z-tier acting. Truly abysmal.

Has it been confirmed if the cutscenes in this are skippable? I have no interest in sitting through them.

I suppose you are talking about the cutscene with the suicidal brother and his sister. It was discussed a lot and fortunately it looks like it is a isolated case. The preview event gameplay has a lot of cutscenes with much better acting/voice acting and writing. It seems to be on par with your general open world game cutscenes.

Unison

I suppose you are talking about the cutscene with the suicidal brother and his sister. It was discussed a lot and fortunately it looks like it is a isolated case. The preview event gameplay has a lot of cutscenes with much better acting/voice acting and writing. It seems to be on par with your general open world game cutscenes.

Yeah, it was this.

The question still stands, though... can we skip cutscenes? I do in almost every game.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

We've seen tons of minority characters in the game even if the main character is a white woman. We've seen quite a variety of asians, black characters as well as "brown" people of seemingly a variety of inspirations. Not only that but even the tribes themselves seem pretty distinct with the Nora tribe being a matriarchy where mothers are all important and because Aloy is an orphan who doesn't know her mother she is shunned. I'd say the game is pretty damn diverse even if not every single aspect of it isn't.

Yea, I am not really feeling the story either. To me it just seems like a color by numbers script followed by the white washing of native americans. Shame to, they could of really done something.

You do realize native american's don't have a monopoly on "tribal" garb? I think its actually a little ignorant as pretty much every major group of people from white to black to brown and so on had a tribal phase and not at all surprising, a lot of tribal garb is pretty similar outside of cultural flourishes and demands from the environment but that can all be said for Native American tribes as well.

Merc_

Because the status quo remains the same.

Game devs for the most part still are reluctant to have minorities as main/lead characters.

The diversity in H:ZD simply doesn't go far enough to satisfy me.

Yeah, and to add to this is that hollywood has been doing the same sort of thing for a while. Having more white female leads has not resulted in more lead roles for WOC, just more for other white women. The rising tide does not lift all ships.

Yeah, and to add to this is that hollywood has been doing the same sort of thing for a while. Having more white female leads has not resulted in more lead roles for WOC, just more for other white women. The rising tide does not lift all ships.
See Ghost in the Shell for reference

It's a legit grievance that a lot of diversity attempts currently heavily focus on a) the american understanding of diversity and b) within that, primarily on african-americans, while neglecting others. As I've brought up before, where are the hispanic leads(aside from IW)? Considering that they're the bigger minority and fastest growing minority in the US. And when you take a step further back, where are the asians? The africans? The non-american-space-space-marine europeans?

You can both be glad that something is improving(more african-american representation in particular) but also be critical of the scope(eg often not going beyond that, both at a US but especcially a global level) at the same time.
lol but they aren't being glad. They're basically throwing shade on the OP by saying "diversity = black people now lol"

GAF, and other forums are just negative. We can't celebrate more black people because Spanish is now a larger part of the demographic? Lol their is no positivity in that reasoning.

We've seen tons of minority characters in the game even if the main character is a white woman. We've seen quite a variety of asians, black characters as well as "brown" people of seemingly a variety of inspirations. Not only that but even the tribes themselves seem pretty distinct with the Nora tribe being a matriarchy where mothers are all important and because Aloy is an orphan who doesn't know her mother she is shunned. I'd say the game is pretty damn diverse even if not every single aspect of it isn't.

You do realize native american's don't have a monopoly on "tribal" garb? I think its actually a little ignorant as pretty much every major group of people from white to black to brown and so on had a tribal phase and not at all surprising, a lot of tribal garb is pretty similar outside of cultural flourishes and demands from the environment but that can all be said for Native American tribes as well.

I actually am native american, so you can stop with that monopoly defense right there. As the whites have pretty much taken all of my familys land, then to see them white washing my culture I think I have every right to voice a concern I see.

What? So only native Americans had traditional garb like that? Wtf? You guys need to some research or something. The ignorance is kinda ridiculous.

And I'm not even defending HZD, here jury is out on how good the story will be. But are we not jumping to conclusions here? Can't have one positive thread about race?

Gin-Shiio

My personal stance is that most people think about themselves first and foremost, and will feel content about a game's representation as long as their own skin color is represented. That is to say, if you see a game feature white folk, white people will call it diverse. If you see a game feature black folk, black people will call it diverse. If you see a game feature Asian folk, Asians will call it diverse etc.

Is it hypocritical? Not really. A game featuring white+black is still more diverse than a game featuring only the former. Horizon is diverse in that regard. But of course a game featuring more than those two groups would still be more diverse than that, and it'd be great to see all ethnicities represented eventually.

My personal stance is that most people think about themselves first and foremost, and will feel content about a game's representation as long as their own skin color is represented. That is to say, if you see a game feature white folk, white people will call it diverse. If you see a game feature black folk, black people will call it diverse. If you see a game feature Asian folk, Asians will call it diverse etc.

Is it hypocritical? Not really. A game featuring white+black is still more diverse than a game featuring only the former. Horizon is diverse in that regard. But of course a game featuring more than those two groups would still be more diverse than that.
Do we know how diverse this game is? Seems a bunch of different shades of black in brown I've seen already. I don't get why it's getting labeled as only having black and white characters, am i missing something? I've seen characters so far that look Asian, Indian, white, and black?

You sure? I don't think I'd call a game whose entire cast is racially homogeneous diverse.

Shredderi

Do we know how diverse this game is? Seems a bunch of different shades of black in brown I've seen already. I don't get why it's getting labeled as only having black and white characters, am i missing something? I've seen characters so far that look Asian, Indian, white, and black?

I'm sure I saw at least one asian looking man in some of the footage.

Hattori

Banned
C150i_GXgAEQExi.jpg:large
not all asians look like this guy though...

After reading a bit of the thread...my 2 cents.
1. Is it really THAT hard for some of you to comprehend why some people might want some diversity in a game? Like I don't know. Maybe people wanna play with a character that looks a bit more like them, maybe they just wanna play something different than the norm every now and then.

2. A reason for the diversity?...we're talking about a game where you fight giant robotic monster animals...and some of you need a reason for different skin colors. Come on.

3. Cultural appropriation? I mean I personally don't really see it, or care all that much, but that's just me. If aloy has red hair and dreads then cool, she has red hair and dreads. Let her do her.

Top Bottom