• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lamen here: Why do pc games simply do not blow out console games graphically?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I know a 4090 has like 80-90 teraflops of processing power vs the PS5's 8-10 teraflops. A 4090 cost about 3x what a ps5 does alone so it should be much more powerful. With that said, Why do we not see the difference? Yes I know a 4090 can run similiar looking games at increased framerates but why do we not see eye melting graphics.

Throwing all the numbers out of the WIndows, I am going to use the tools I was born with the eye test. I look at Playstation games like Ratchet and Clank remake, Horizon Forbidden West, Dark Souls remake, even the Resident Evil 4 remake and others that visually can go toe to toe with what the pc has to offer. Why? The pc is clearly superior and it's price point reflects that but why do I not see the Vastly improved visuals? I get it that on pc one has to develop for the lowest common denominator but there are always some studios who are going to push the envelope.

Because "the PC" is not a monolith. If 4090 class represented vast majority of gaming PC market, developers would be willing to create these ultra cutting-edge, graphical masterpieces that you desire. The likes of Cyberpunk Overdrive is the closest case in recent memory but again PC games would be 100x more visually impressive if all PC players had a 4090/upgraded in unison at the same cadence a la console gamers.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The leap from 1080p to 4k was significant. Generally I find a middle of the road rez between 1440p and 4k depending on the game to achieve the optimal frame rate. Going back to 1080p is just hard to do at this point. It looks like a fuzzy mess.
This. 1080p in Helldivers II was like having Vaseline smeared on my tv. Then choosing quality, the resolution was bumped up above 1440p, and it instantly looked clearer. Resolution, IQ, visual bells and whit matter most to me in games.

daninthemix

Compare Alan Wake 2 maxed on a 4090 to the PS5 version and your confusion will be quieted. And if it isn't, I suggest you stick with a PS4 as that will save you money and you've clearly reached the limit of what you are able to appreciate.

Mister Wolf

Bro, even the mighty 4090 is not native 4King every graphical powerhouse full throttle with those super high framerates. Hence for the DLSS. It's a damned stupid waste of resources just to do so.

DLSS, hell of a lot better than FRS, sure, there are some proprietary solutions that are just as fantastic.

I don't have to use native 4K. 1440p at minimum or custom true 16:9 resolutions like 1800p work just fine. Even with DLSS. FF7 Rebirth on consoles runs lower than 1440p most of the time(1152p) and looks awful hence all of the complaining. Who cares about graphics when you have image quality like this:

Final-Fantasy-7-Rebirth-on-PS5-DF-Tech-Breakdown-Quality-Performance-Modes-More-6-36-screensho.png

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Seeing the comments here, i don't think people really understand the PC market. Even if every active PC player simultaneously upgraded to a 4090, you wouldn't begin seeing ultra graphical benchmarks popping out of nowhere.

As i said, gameplay is king, and cutting edge graphics isn't something held back by hardware anymore.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I dunno OP, I got a bud who plays CP2077 and BG3 on PS5, while I have them on PC. He’s asked to see them running on PC when he’s been over at my house and he’s blown away by the difference in visual quality and performance 🤷

I run BG3 at 4K 120 and PS5 is stuttery as hell in comparison, according to him…

Griffon

Simple : if right now you released a game that targeted RTX 4090s as a baseline, you would sell pretty much jack shit. Given how few people have that sort of hardware.

So yeah, even on PC, you do have to target the common lowest denominator (I'd say, a brand new game releasing right now has to be able to run and not look like total ass on a gtx1070 or 2060), and then slightly scale up from that with better image quality for high budget GPUs.

Besides, that sort of high budget game take 5 to 6 years to make, so if you begin development on the high-end GPUs from 6 years ago, it's a safe bet for later when cheaper cards can match it.

Last edited:

Esppiral

I know a 4090 has like 80-90 teraflops of processing power vs the PS5's 8-10 teraflops. A 4090 cost about 3x what a ps5 does alone so it should be much more powerful. With that said, Why do we not see the difference? Yes I know a 4090 can run similiar looking games at increased framerates but why do we not see eye melting graphics.

Throwing all the numbers out of the WIndows, I am going to use the tools I was born with the eye test. I look at Playstation games like Ratchet and Clank remake, Horizon Forbidden West, Dark Souls remake, even the Resident Evil 4 remake and others that visually can go toe to toe with what the pc has to offer. Why? The pc is clearly superior and it's price point reflects that but why do I not see the Vastly improved visuals? I get it that on pc one has to develop for the lowest common denominator but there are always some studios who are going to push the envelope.
Has you seen cross gen games in Ps4- Ps5? Then there IS your answer.

The assumption is that you're not running this on your 1060s to really appreciate the difference. Of course, you won't notice much of a difference running it on low-end rigs.

lol I didn't think I needed to state the obvious but I had the game maxed out. What would be the point of making that statement with a 1060 card? I've been PC gaming most of my life. I work in IT because of PC gaming. It's just not that big of a difference anymore.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
lol I didn't think I needed to state the obvious but I had the game maxed out. What would be the point of making that statement with a 1060 card? I've been PC gaming most of my life. I work in IT because of PC gaming. It's just not that big of a difference anymore.
You don’t notice much of a visual difference but triggers make the gunplay feel "much better." Sure.

Topher

Gold Member
I compared them both on my gaming PC and PS5 (using the trial). I didn't notice much difference. I do think that dual sense on PS5 makes the gunplay feel so much better.

What kind of PC are you running? Cyberpunk 2077 looks incredible on my 4080. PS5 isn't remotely close.

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't have to use native 4K. 1440p at minimum or custom true 16:9 resolutions like 1800p work just fine. Even with DLSS. FF7 Rebirth on consoles runs lower than 1440p most of the time(1152p) and looks awful hence all of the complaining. Who cares about graphics when you have image quality like this:

Final-Fantasy-7-Rebirth-on-PS5-DF-Tech-Breakdown-Quality-Performance-Modes-More-6-36-screensho.png

I need my gameplay to not feel like looking at a series of screenshots in slow motion, so that 30fps graphics mode on the right while sure it looks pretty on a screen not moving, on an actual TV looks awful in motion. That soupy shit on the left, at least that gives the illusion that I'm watching some kinda unidentifiable video vs feeling like I'm on a 286 trying to run through the last act of DIablo 2 at 10fps.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No PS5 is doing Phantom Liberty with everything cranked the fuck up at 4k60.

It's just something you've gotta see for yourself.

You don’t notice much of a visual difference but triggers make the gunplay feel "much better." Sure.

Yes I do. Here is other people who felt the same way when they brought over the mods to PC. It wasn't just the gunplay there were other things as well.

What kind of PC are you running? Cyberpunk 2077 looks incredible on my 4080. PS5 isn't remotely close.

I played it when the game first came out so I was running a 3080. I only maxed it out to see the graphics in the rain which were incredible but it wasn't fun to play like that. The FPS was to low. Apparently it's been upgraded since then though so maybe now it looks even better. I don't know I still thought the PS5 version was impressive looking. Good enough for me at least.

How much did you pay for your leader dog?

Is this a joke? I don't know what it means if it is.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Why do people constantly forget that games have to run on shitty PCs as much as they have to run on the shitty Xbox Series S?

You can’t get bleeding edge gaming if you’re not just making games for bleeding edge tech!

Are you using DLSS?
Yes, if I want 60FPS all bells and whistles. Best my RTX 4070 can do I think.
I've set CP77 to 1080P, DLSS Quality, DLSS Ray Reconstruction on, Path tracing on, everything set to ultra. Vsync on. no frame generation.

4k with these settings drops all the way to 22 FPS. Even DLSS Ultra dosn't get it to 30. frame generation looks ugly.
If I turn off Path Tracing, it's like a whole different world of performance though.

I'm pretty happy with 1080p. There's probly some leftover performance for 1440p. with DLSS at performance. but my TV dosn't like 1440P with windows 11 for some reason.
PS5 and Series X can do 1440P why can't windows 11?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I may be totally wrong here, and forgive me for that. But from what I understand it's a matter of customization. You can go a lot further visually if you focus on a single hardware configuration. I have this notion from several gens ago, so forgive me if it no longer applies.

Topher

Gold Member
I may be totally wrong here, and forgive me for that. But from what I understand it's a matter of customization. You can go a lot further visually if you focus on a single hardware configuration. I have this notion from several gens ago, so forgive me if it no longer applies.

Yes, but that only really applies to true exclusives.

Slimboy Fat

Because the games are built with console limitations in mind and therefore the PC version will be a resolution and framerate upgrade -with some marginal increases in already existing variables (eg. denser foliage). It's the same situation as when Ps4/XBone games run on current-gen hardware. Resolution and framerate are boosted but the assets, effects, textures, rendering techniques etc. are the same.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Because "the PC" is not a monolith. If 4090 class represented vast majority of gaming PC market, developers would be willing to create these ultra cutting-edge, graphical masterpieces that you desire. The likes of Cyberpunk Overdrive is the closest case in recent memory but again PC games would be 100x more visually impressive if all PC players had a 4090/upgraded in unison at the same cadence a la console gamers.
Sure, but then you’d get a whole other problem; those games wouldn’t run at desirable performance targets.

Would be cool to have a game that looks so good that it runs at 30fps/1440p on a 4090 but then this means you’d have to run it at 900p to get anything resembling 60fps and nobody owning a 4090 wants that.

High-end PC parts these days are more for high performance than high-quality visuals and more often than not, you have to choose one or the other. Path traced Cyberpunk looks great but even a 4070 needs to drop to 1080p to run it decently. The 4090 is around 3x faster than the PS5 in rasterization. That's not even a generational leap. The PS5 is what? 7-8x faster than the PS4? And look at games like Spider-Man 2. Sure as shit doesn't look like such a massive difference and the 4090 is less than half that. The requirements to produce visuals a generation ahead of a PS5 while maintaining higher performance and resolutions would be far in excess of what the 4090 can do. More like a 6090.

Last edited:

Crayon

You need to get an eye for smaller differences, then decide how much it means to you. If the game is built for PS5, throwing more horsepower at it is going to enhance it in ways that don't necessarily make a huge impression at first glance.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Because PC games are console ports all designed around consoles.

No one is making true PC exclusives like Crysis anymore.

It’s no coincidence that’s the last game that was truly way ahead of its time

No one is designing a game specifically for 4090 level hardware. It’s made for ps5 then it just runs better on PC.

If studios were spending 300 million dollars to develop a game FOR the 4090 as the base. that shit would look like Avatar

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Same reason that PS5 games aren't blowing PS4 games out of the water. We are reaching the limits of traditional raster coupled with 4K 120Hz pushing 16 times the pixels as 1080p 30.

MikeM

As someone with a PS5 and 7600x/7900xt PC- difference for me is sharpness and higher frames. I actually regret upgrading from my 5600x/6700xt because all I wanted was a PC for insurance against 30fps lol

This is definitely my last high-end PC. I obviously am set until at least PS6 but am quite happy with console especially given that the costs of hardware continue to go up and not down.

Crayon

Same reason that PS5 games aren't blowing PS4 games out of the water. We are reaching the limits of traditional raster coupled with 4K 120Hz pushing 16 times the pixels as 1080p 30.

This is true, too. I was actually impressed that PS5 games look noticeably better at all. I figured it the performance would be completely burned up on resolution and framerate. I'm not surprised so many people are disappointed with the generational jump. Sony has a challenge to make the pro stand out in videos and screenshots.

Melfice7

consoles are the standard where most games are made for, no developer is making an exclusive for pc that only targets high end hardware, in fact the lowest common denominator are the minimum spec pc's

Beechos

Because it's not as simple as having more power = everything will look that much better. Things need to be created and programmed to take advantage of the extra power. No one is going to spend the extra resources to create something only like 1% of the population can run.

Kumomeme

because most of game developed with console in mind not PC.

PC version merely a version that run with higher performance thats all since the game still developed with console hardware foremost.

also due to diversity range of hardware set up on pc space, it is harder for developer to properly create a game within specific range of specs and squeeze everything on it compare to less console sku game.

IAmRei

Maybe its like talking why every car doesnt have 1000+ horsepower rather than using 70-300 horse power? I live in south east asia, majority people here only use xx than xxx hp. I dont now much in the west though. I think its also because we dont always need bigger power to enjoy what is the experience or purpose.

Maybe just bad analogue.

But higher graphic will eat budgets as well. And the majority user doesnt have much money to spent on hardware either.

sigmaZ

Wuh. They absolutely do. But you need proper monitor and see it with your own eyes.
There is an issue though and that is the skill and budget requirements of fully realizing the technology at hand. Not all studios are capable of this.

darrylgorn

Still rocking 1080p and even downscale some games to 90-95% to keep performance high without impacting temps.

Everyone has they're own preference but you won't really see much of a difference until most people start streaming higher than 1080p.

yansolo

They do. By light-years. Especially on older games.

Play arkham knight on PC at 4k 90fps and compare it to the console 1080p 30 fps version.

great point, the difference is huge, especially with older games. ive been playing arkham city and it definitely does not look like a 2011 game.

Top Bottom