• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ser 5 Max an example of the future of the PC?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Hear me out you PC snobs before you rip me a new one. This is not for the guy who needs the most powerful best graphics all the time. I am not trying to sell you anything and do not care if you consider one. What I am coming from is the future from the MASS CONSUMER I am not here to say a mini pc could ever match the power of Big tower PC's. The laws of physics prevent putting more transistors in a smaller space using the same scale. Hell a Full Size 4090 is about 4-6x the size of this mini pc With that said, These Mini pc's are getting so powerful that it may not matter. The APU's on these units are already extremely capable and only going to improve with time. I wanted a pc that I could put into my new 1br apt without being too bulky. My gaming PC is a monster and kinda long in the tooth so decided to take a different route. I dabble in PC gaming (was rocking a old but still relevant i7-4790k combined with a still capable Rtx 2060. I know those are old now but can still play pretty much every modern game at high at or around 60fps with some rare exceptions. So why do I say my Original statement? Well these machines are extrmeley affordable and blows away any gaming rig when comparing dollar to dollar value. It's not far off from being able to play almost every game at medium settings for under $400. To Sum it up; It's cheap, It's sexy, It has Capable, that equals MASS APPEAL. These are already catching on through Amazon and other dealers and I can see these as the future of the pc. Here is my experience for what it's worth.

SPECS:
-RYZEN 7 5800 H 3.2ghz base clock 4.4 ghz turbo 8 core 16 threads
-Radeon Graphics 3gb vram
-16 GB Crucial DDR 4 memory (optional 32gb upgrade)
-512 GB (NVME gen 4 SSD) (optional 1tb upgrade) also easy expandable Sata 6 upgrade (just unscrew 4 screws and pull tab)
-The real kicker: NO way in hell am I going to build a rig with these brand new parts for this price.. $324 shipped
-The whole system used 54 Watts
-
Sytem almost completley Wireless. Wifi 6x (lan available) 3-USB 3.2 ports 1 USB C port,, headphone jack, 1 lan, 1 usb 2.0 port
-Geekbench 1413 single core 7524 multi core
-I can play most of my steam library (mostly at low and mostly with fsr) with a 60+ frame rate. Hell some older games go over the 120fps. I can play even harder to run games like Cyber Punk and the witcher 3. I can even play games like Forza 5 at med around 50-60fps.
-Can emulate all older platforms including harder ones like the PS3, Dolphin, and Switch.

Other mini pc makers including the above mentioned brand have more expensive models around $600 that can play most games at med/high and in a year or two those will be around $400. My point is we maybe see the age of the Monster Graphics card power Hog coming to an end. There will always be a small crowd who always want the most powerful but I can see the mass consumer jumping on these. Hell they include vesa mounts to mount them on back of your tv.

The size of it

Beelink-SER5-5560U-6.jpg

Last edited:
For that price, I think it's a great piece of kit. Great job.

Back when I was in the military and had to live on a boat, I made a space heater/shuttle PC that I could play Crysis with. It was a giant pain in the ass figuring out the best way to keep thermals in check, but I eventually got it down. Really wasn't worth the headache, but it was cool to have a sff PC in my rack to play games with. Things have come a long way since then. If I wanted a second box to have in a different room, I'd consider something like this, but really streaming games from my PC to the Nvidia shield is pretty easy to do and works super well, so that's the avenue I've been going down. Though it's not without it's headaches occasionally too.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The issue remains in a weak GPU. However some of these come with USB 4 or that new expansion connector so you could add an external card. Of course at that point you might as well build a Micro ATX (cheaper vs ITX) system.

StereoVsn

We also have PC stick for media and emulation nowadays. Obviously not going to be as powerful as a desktop PC

awow-stick-720p.png

Yeah, there is the but at some point the form becomes too much of a compromise, IMO.

However for just emulation you can get a semi competent mini PC for like $300 (up to and including PS2/GameCube/Wii) or up to $500-600 if you would like to emulate PS3/Xbox/X360/Switch.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Small form PCs have been made for decades, from laptop size to usb stick size, why would any random thing you found be the example over anything else? Find your sweetspot of price, form and performance and go for it as always.

It's nice to see relatively powerful socs made for the likes of Deck but of course nothing competes with a full desktop tower in potential and that won't change for some time if ever nor will the desire and use for better suddenly stop.

I think those are already pretty old specs mind, I'm pretty sure there are successor models to those components (but Idk if the "Radeon graphics" were improved much, they were already bad by then). Here's a performance example...

So yeah it's cool they technically boot modern games by having modern featuresets & drivers etc. but there's a long way to go for a gaming PC of the sort, you're still gonna have to invest in a dedicated GPU or just get a console too.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Things are changing
Are they though? Vast majority of folks game on either desktops (from Full Tower to ITX) or laptops, both with dedicated GOUs for the most part.

The newer edition is somewhat of a breakout in a handheld market. Those usually compliment the other methods. So someone might have a full on desktop or gaming laptop and a handheld.

Sleepwalker

I have one and I only use it to run plex and run a remote server to a bot. Wouldnt even consider gaming on it with the amount of actual gaming alternatives I have at home.

Its nothing to write home about.

Topher

Gold Member
Rather have a handheld with docking and eGPU capability.

I think Steam Deck and other handhelds are more “the future” of PC.

Agree. Handhelds are great alternatives to mini PCs and they are getting mainstream support. I use my Rog Ally for general computing tasks and PC Game Pass and it is really a kick ass PC. Not giving up my gaming PC rig any time soon, but also don't need that thing running with all those fans when all I'm doing to posting on NeoGAF.

But this is a good thread Gamer79 Gamer79 . Handhelds are just more powerful derivatives of that Beelink you posted. I'll be interested in seeing the Ryzen 8000G series APU benchmarks in the future.

Last edited:

Kadve

These Chinese NUC style devices are great for streaming. But i would never buy them for gaming, especially not at this price class. What kills their performance isn't the specs, its the drivers which often are of dubious quality.

These slides are from a $850 Ryzen 9 7940HS device. Devices in the ~$350 price class usually never include gaming in their marketing boasts for a reason.

GMK-K4-Mini-PC-32GB-DDR5-1TB-SSD-US-521162-10._p1_.jpg

GMK-K4-Mini-PC-32GB-DDR5-1TB-SSD-US-521162-9._p1_.jpg

GMK-K4-Mini-PC-32GB-DDR5-1TB-SSD-US-521162-8._p1_.jpg

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
NUC pcs aren't anything special they've been around forever. Still a cool form factor, but if the past decade is any indication they won't cause any major change in the PC gaming landscape. That's what the steam deck will do

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Get me PS5 level performance in that form factor at a reasonably comparable price and I'd be interested.
Unfortunately right now seems like Ryzen 9/780m based mini's are still basically double the price, so maybe in a year or two.

Topher

Gold Member
These Chinese NUC style devices are great for streaming. But i would never buy them for gaming, especially not at this price class. What kills their performance isn't the specs, its the drivers which often are of dubious quality.

These slides are from a $850 Ryzen 9 7940HS device. Devices in the ~$350 price class usually never include gaming in their marketing boasts for a reason.

GMK-K4-Mini-PC-32GB-DDR5-1TB-SSD-US-521162-10._p1_.jpg

GMK-K4-Mini-PC-32GB-DDR5-1TB-SSD-US-521162-9._p1_.jpg

GMK-K4-Mini-PC-32GB-DDR5-1TB-SSD-US-521162-8._p1_.jpg

There are better options than that out there for that APU.

Kadve

There are better options than that out there for that APU.
Think my point still stands though. These are cool and all but i doubt any "serious" gamer would bother with them.

(btw, the price becomes roughly the same from amazon when you include shipping for the one you linked. At least to Europe)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Think my point still stands though. These are cool and all but i doubt any "serious" gamer would bother with them.

(btw, the price becomes roughly the same from amazon when you include shipping for the one you linked. At least to Europe)

Shipping is only $3 on Amazon. But point I was getting at is that you don't necessarily have to have a device with dubious drivers (whatever they are). Minis forum is a good, reputable company in the mini PC market.

But yeah.....this isn't for "serious gamers". Not a bad option if space is limited or other specific use cases, but as I and others said above, one of the several handhelds are probably better options.

Kadve

Shipping is only $3 on Amazon. But point I was getting at is that you don't necessarily have to have a device with dubious drivers (whatever they are). Minis forum is a good, reputable company in the mini PC market.

But yeah.....this isn't for "serious gamers". Not a bad option if space is limited or other specific use cases, but as I and others said above, one of the several handhelds are probably better options.
$203 shipping+import tax here! And buying something similar from local amazon is the equivalent of around
~$988...

This is why i prefer directly importing these kind of things from China (Geekbuying in particular). They make an effort to circumvent import tax.

Last edited:

Gamer79

At this point if I wanted a portable pc id much rather get a high end laptop. All the same benefits plus even lesser hassle.
If you can find a laptop that matches the BeeLink SER 5 max specs and capabilities for around $300 new then please let me know.

reinking

Gold Member
If you can find a laptop that matches the BeeLink SER 5 max specs and capabilities for around $300 new then please let me know.
You can find laptops for $150-$200 more that match the Beelink performance and they obviously bring their own keyboard, touchpad, speakers and monitor. With the explosion of handheld pc becoming a thing, for gaming specifically, I am not sure where something like the Beelink fits in. Don't get me wrong, I believe the Beelink is awesome and I am considering picking one up for a media center but micro PC's have been around for a long time. They are becoming much more capable but so is other hardware they are competing against.

Gamer79

You can find laptops for $150-$200 more that match the Beelink performance and they obviously bring their own keyboard, touchpad, speakers and monitor. With the explosion of handheld pc becoming a thing, for gaming specifically, I am not sure where something like the Beelink fits in. Don't get me wrong, I believe the Beelink is awesome and I am considering picking one up for a media center but micro PC's have been around for a long time. They are becoming much more capable but so is other hardware they are competing against.
Total bullshit. Post one. I shop regularly as Amazon, new egg, best buy, and other online retailers. Laptops with these specs run around $600+

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Not really much of a gaming machine. I doubt the masses are looking to play at medium or low settings at 1080p.

reinking

Gold Member
Total bullshit. Post one. I shop regularly as Amazon, new egg, best buy, and other online retailers. Laptops with these specs run around $600+
LOL. Getting a little defensive?

Here is the first one I hit one without effort and frankly not going to shop around for a laptop I have no intention of buying. Should perform fairly close and it currently has a $30 off coupon on top of the current $499 price. You can nitpick since this has a 5700U but my point still stands. You can find laptops with similar performance for a little more money but they also come as an all-in-one package for portability. Again, I believe the Beelink is cool. However, I disagree that it is the future of the PC when it comes to gaming.

* :messenger_tears_of_joy: .... ...I didn't include the link.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I’ll find one later but that won’t be that hard. Keep in mind, that Beelink is on sale. Regular price is closer to $450 depending on configuration. So finding a laptop at $200 more than that shouldn’t be that hard.

T4keD0wN

Sure and the worsening eyesight of gamers. Forget these small screens for fucks sake, it ruins your eyesight. If you need to game on the toilet, ok, on the train, ok, at home, just put it out on a friggin monitor.
Haha, joke is on you, my eyesight is going to shit even without interacting with those small screens. No, seriously, i need help. Its getting real bad

WitchHunter

Banned
That's the result of too much small screen usage. Just ask your optometrist next time.

Haha, joke is on you, my eyesight is going to shit even without interacting with those small screens. No, seriously, i need help. Its getting real bad
Eat carrots, raw. Buy lean ones, they tend to be sweeter, than the big ones. Best if you get an old granny at the market to supply you with real fine ones. And do exercise 2x a week for 1 hour or so.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Going to reitierate that the unit you are showing is on sale. $459 regular price. So based on reinking reinking 's claim, laptop would be between $609 and $659

Here's one regular price $639

Going by sales price, though, here is one that totally smokes that Beelink for $550

Still think that Beelink at $324 is a damn good deal though for some light gaming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom