• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that the story trailer that they put out? If not, do you mind giving me a link? I'm kinda apprehensive about the story too.

Sony ninjas took the link down, sorry :/

I'm talking about the opening of the game. It's pretty damn good IMO, and sold me on the potential as someone who was purely into Horizon for taking down dinos.

Rozart

are you just counting PS exclusives?
there are many big new IPs all the time.

Recent ones?

Sony ninjas took the link down, sorry :/

I'm talking about the opening of the game. It's pretty damn good IMO, and sold me on the potential as someone who was purely into Horizon for taking down dinos.

Oh damnnit. :(

That's good to hear. I'm hopeful that they've got a solid story cooked up but (story-wise) I'll still be coming into the game with tempered expectations.

Nzyme32

That post was crap, don't try to run away from it.

I mean, look at that line. A month before the game is even out. Can you get more condescending than that?

Oh I am doing no such thing. We even discussed all this - and I admitted my wording was easy to get confused, check it out:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229378998&postcount=11257
http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229382620&postcount=11282

Right but the point was the post you made in this thread you could have made it in the steam thread and I would have no problems like I do now that I know more about your preferences but instead you choose to attack the game based on it's marketing and it's release platform. Your original post in the steam thread gave little insight as to what your preferences could be. That original post I found a bit offensive as someone who had/has an interest in the game for it's world and is not "causal" or easily swayed by marketing.

Those posts were all in the Steam thread - all with people that generally know me and what I like, dislike. Follow the above links, we actually discussed this because the reaction some others that saw it the same way as you (rightly so in retrospect). Indeed my wording is poor at best. There is no intention to belittle or be offensive.

tzare

Great scores, i've been wanting to play a openworld game for a while and been tempted by the recent W3 offers on PSN, but the combat doesn't seem that great and seems a bit too complicated for someone like me that has only played Infamous and Darksiders before. This seems to be somewhere in between an action game and an RPG so even if the plot doesn't convince me at least may be fun to play and fight those robodinos.

Will wait for a price drop though, but will be buying for sure.

Kthulhu

Show me a review that aligns with it is a generic world? Criticism is fine, saying incorrect information to push a narrative isn;t

Your saying Horizon is derivative? How so?

WTF, I'm not pushing a narrative. I saw almost nothing till now that made me believe that the world wasn't generic.

Stop being so defensive.

Very excited for this game. It's also one of Sony's biggest releases so far this console generation, and the chance at a new franchise, so my skepticism of games journalism is as high as it will ever be. Really hope this lives up to the reviews it's been given.

Kayant

tavMlWH.gif
Almost forgot about this but what a way to destroy a franchise you just set within in hours by losing one point. Sad! Good job Sony and Guerilla Games better luck next time.

Always a little bizarre to look at these things from the outside in and see it for what it is.

Wouldn't the fact that he's even talking about eating crow kind of prove some of their points? Not about the game being bad, but of some Sony fans being invested in the game just to have another feather in their cap.

He clearly cared enough about their disdain for the game, or clear lack of informing themselves about a game had potential to be great, to link their comments to a review thread that had nothing to do with what they originally said. Sounds like fanboyism to me. Just my 2 cents.

Loudninja

What little music I heard has been amazing
The cast's chemistry is easily some of the best in the industry. The Last of Us may top it, but it also has a smaller cast of characters to work with. Given this game's usage of far more characters, it stands up very nicely and you sense pretty much every relationship in some form or fashion – whether it be positive or negative – within a single conversation. The acting is top shelf and Ashly Burch does her best work to date as Aloy.
The soundtrack holds up as well as the voice acting too, with a diverse soundtrack full of drums, throat singing, and tribal music that fit the themes of the game. Giant battles are treated to booming drums and singing, while melodic moments are underscored with more reserved songs that let the moments play out – but still give you something other than dialogue to hear and enjoy. The sound effects are solid too, with each smack with the bow feeling violent while arrows shot each sound different and impactful depending on the type used.

Horizon Zero Dawn is Guerrilla Games' best effort, one of the PS4's greatest games, and the best game ever crafted from the ground up for the platform. It combines a gripping narrative with intense action that blends both fast-paced combat with slower-paced, tense stealth sections perfectly. Everything about their vision for this game clicks into place and is accentuated by a stellar presentation. The game features top-shelf graphical work, a unique and enjoyable soundtrack, alongside a fantastic cast to make an unforgettable experience.
http://www.game-over.com/content/2017/02/horizon-zero-dawn/#sthash.DU6tDqnI.qL6s7ZGI.dpbs

You could get TLG for £25 within a month or two of release, UC4 dropped pretty quick too. By the Summer I expect to be able to pick this up for £20 somewhere

Uc4 did not drop fast at all, neither will Horizon. TLG is a niche title that dropped quick, UC4 and Horizon are on another level.

etta

my hard graphic balls
WTF, I'm not pushing a narrative. I saw almost nothing till now that made me believe that the world wasn't generic.

Stop being so defensive.
He/she did the same with Uncharted 4 in the game of the year thread with people showing disapproval lols.

Just a few more days now.

Cyberia

With all this said, is this game worth you time and money? GOD, YES. Are you crazy? Honestly speaking, I didn’t expect this big of a game with HZD. I knew it was going to be pretty, like all Guerrilla Games are in their own way, but I didn’t expect the game to raise the bar with current generation games. I didn’t expect a Skyrim-esque girth to the gameplay and didn’t know that I would be pulled in so hard to the game that I’m left wanting more and more (instead of typing this review). This game is something that could potentially be used as a building block for GG to branch out to other new IP and stop using Killzone as a reason for existing (though, I wouldn’t mind another one). Horizon Zero Dawn proves that a big time developer like Guerrilla Games is more than a one-trick pony and that Sony might want to pick their brains for new and exciting titles in the very near future.

So, yes, this game is worth it. It’s more than you wanted and everything you desired out of this generation of systems. Don’t hesitate to pull the trigger on this one.

http://digitalchumps.com/horizon-zero-dawn/

BiggNife

Man that wall of shame thing in the locked flops thread is gross

I'm glad this game turned out to be good but given that Guerrilla's last game was Shadow Fall I understand why a lot of people were skeptical and I have no idea why people should be "shamed" for being a bit hesitant

It's one thing to call people out for losing their shit over Uncharted 3 getting an 8 before they've even played it and another thing to be all "IN YOUR FACE jokes on you for not getting hyped"

zkorejo

I guess metas were up at the start of the gen but are really down. I think SS is an 8 or so.

I agree, it is good. To me like 7.5 maybe. :)

Yes that is definitely the case. DA:I was the first rpg for the new consoles, it looked amazing then (still is good now) and the story wasn't bad. Thirst for new games esp. RPGs on new consoles swayed the scores I believe.

For people who keep bringing up Ubisoft:

I must also address one common misconception that certain players may have with Horizon Zero Dawn. During the first few hours, the game may feel like it’s too similar to other open world games out there. Obviously there are elements that are common…crafting, leveling up, scouting areas and unlocking various skills but once you get past the first few hours, Horizon Zero Dawn distinguishes itself with its amazing and extremely intelligent cast of machine beasts, intriguing boss battles and an excellent story.
Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/horizon-zero-dawn-review#s2LvHqiZJt7wQOGu.99

Horizon has things other games of it's genre, like every other games but it distinguishes itself.

Can't wait for that review thread. No way it reviews as highly as this.
Zelda has way more expectations to live up to as it's a very loved long time series.

The PS4 didn't really have anything like Horizon Zero Dawn before it so obviously if it was excellent it would review really well. That said Zelda is most likely (based on what we've seen) going to review very well also.

Duxxy3

409.gif

Just put together a secondary PC and was hoping to stop spending for a bit. Doesn't look like that's gonna last long.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
A world that's basically Disney's Brave meets The Last of Us, Enslaved: Journey to the West, Far Cry, Mass Effect, The Witcher, Monster Hunter, Toukiden, and loads of other really, really cool shit.

Toukiden? That's interesting. I liked that game. Enslaved had nice art too.

Robiin

Now just secretly hope Zelda is mediocre.
But I've already paid for the Switch so if Zelda is mediocre I'm gonna feel awful about wasting 400€ :(
If cost isn't an issue then just play Zelda first, or juggle between them like I'm doing now with Yakuza, Tales of Berseria, and Gravity Rush 2.
Cost is def an issue because Zelda cost me a new console lmao. And time is an issue as well because fuck being an adult.

Kthulhu

For people who keep bringing up Ubisoft:

I must also address one common misconception that certain players may have with Horizon Zero Dawn. During the first few hours, the game may feel like it’s too similar to other open world games out there. Obviously there are elements that are common…crafting, leveling up, scouting areas and unlocking various skills but once you get past the first few hours, Horizon Zero Dawn distinguishes itself with its amazing and extremely intelligent cast of machine beasts, intriguing boss battles and an excellent story.
Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/horizon-zero-dawn-review#s2LvHqiZJt7wQOGu.99

Horizon has things other games of it's genre, like every other games but it distinguishes itself.

Great.

There have been a lot of games that don't distinguish themselves lately in this genre, so it's unsurprising that consumer confidence is low.

Not to mention guerilla games doesn't exactly have the best track record on the market.

not that i want to wade into... whatever this is. but what is a non generic world?

A world that has stuff in it worth seeing and exploring.

Great.

There have been a lot of games that don't distinguish themselves lately in this genre, so it's unsurprising that consumer confidence is low.

Not to mention guerilla games doesn't exactly have the best track record on the market.

Consumer confidence low for what?

xviper

well earned, knew it will score this high since the first trailer

games with amazing new ideas deserve success, can't wait to pick it up in few days

Floody

I guess metas were up at the start of the gen but are really down. I think SS is an 8 or so.

I agree, it is good. To me like 7.5 maybe. :)

I think reviewers just got a lot less 9 and 10 happy as the gen went on, like I doubt we'll seen a game in the 95+ range this gen, whereas last gen there was like 10+.

GHG

Gold Member
*Pops back into thread...*

Great.

A world that has stuff in it worth seeing and exploring.

*Sees that the thread hasn't changed one bit since page 20.*

*Leaves*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom