• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 stream reveals audiovisual feedback from connecting Joy-Cons to Switch

Oregano

I don't think there's any downgrade (or I don't see it), you're looking at an offscreen footage, and the only direct feed we have of the game is from a NicoNico stream, with an awful quality.

They both look the same to me (except the image size)

The sprites are hella blurry in that Switch shot.

I can, since sprites eat up a tonne of RAM, and the Switch has half of the RAM as the PS4. Compressing the sprites would be one of the more obvious ways of reducing RAM useage.

That's true but the amount usable for games is much closer.

Cerium

The Switch version looks blurry compared to the PS4 version.

Off screen video from IGN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TjxuHlwrfs

Can't believe they had to downgrade sprites...

There was no downgrade, it doesn't look blurry, and there are any number of hands on impressions you could have checked to confirm this.

Some of us here at Nintendo Life have played the PS4 version of Disgaea 5, and we were unable to discern a difference between the original and the Switch version. Fortunately, the demo on hand at the event loaded up with characters already fully leveled up with their flashiest techniques available. Disgaea is known for having over-the-top attacks that result in large explosions and screen-filling effects; even when launching the largest of attacks we observed nary a hiccup or stutter when docked or in portable mode.
Really wish people wouldn't spread FUD.

More.

The porting process was relatively smooth for Disgaea 5
There was nothing NIS had to downgrade even in portable mode, the experience still remains same as PS4 version
Disgaea 5 was chosen for Switch because it would be smooth to port

Dio

Banned
Man, this makes me want to buy D5 again for Switch so I can play it on the go...but I already platinumed the damn game and have put hundreds of hours into postgame. I even have an Artemis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2BTsveromg

This video I recorded is about where I stopped.

I doubt I could migrate the save somehow, and christ I'd need to spend so much time getting back to where I was, but portable D5, man.

Waji

Everytime I see his posts, it's like he seek for something bad to tell about games on switch.
Always pessimistic about this system.
So true.
Seems like some kind of negative spirit left Aostia after the Switc reveal to go to Oregano.
Though I don't remember how Oregano was before then.

Hella impressive to think that even in portable mode there's no hiccup. The vita version of Disgaea 4 suffered a lot from framerate problems.
Well... it was the Vita. I'm not really surprised.
Wouldn't be very promising if the very first Disgaea port on the Switch had problems like this.

Oregano

The Switch screen and PS4 screen are a different aspect ratio weirdly but I shrunk down the Switch screen(from Nintendo's site btw) to the same horizontal resolution and it's obviously blurry if you look at them side by side.

WkyUw84.jpg

21248649773_8c5e7e9c7c_b.jpg

I'm honestly not sure what else there is to say.

Nairume

Banned
The Switch screen and PS4 screen are a different aspect ratio weirdly but I shrunk down the Switch screen(from Nintendo's site btw) to the same horizontal resolution and it's obviously blurry if you look at them side by side.

WkyUw84.jpg

"Guys believe me and my admitted photoshop edit over the people who made the game and people who have seen it in person. I know more than them."

Kebiinu

Banned

WkyUw84.jpg

Because there's nothing to say, you're dragging it, there's no downgrade. They even confirmed as such.

Oregano

"Guys believe me and my admitted photoshop edit over the people who made the game and people who have seen it in person. I know more than them."

I'll trust what I can see with my own eyes with the material they've presented over what people will tell me I can see.

Which is which would help. I feel like this is a spot the difference game and I honestly can't find the difference.

Top is Switch. If you can't see it in the browser then download both images and Switch between them(or do it with the original larger image if you think I've tampered with it).

LordKano

I'll do that with a better screen, from NISA's PR, with the same resolution ratio for both (note that I rescaled down the Switch screen, so it may have altered a little bit, since you can completely tone down everything on photoshop) :

1487600748-sans-titre-3.png

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

WkyUw84.jpg

that's ok you don't have to say anything

You mean the screenshots here that have Playstation button prompts?

Oregano

I'll do that with a better screen, from NISA's PR, with the same resolution ratio for both (note that I rescaled down the Switch screen, so it may have altered a little bit, since you can completely tone down everything on photoshop) :

The bottom one is blurrier.

You mean the screenshots here that have Playstation button prompts?

Now that's an actual good point, seems they're using PS4 screen on Nintendo's site anyway.

ViolentP

Frankly, there was no reason for the sprites to be blurry on the PS4. Complaining that the Switch version is blurrier is like arguing who was blacker, the pot or kettle.

dannie

It funny that both screen shot is from PS4 version and you said switch version is downgrade

http://media.gamerevolution.com/ima...disgaea-5-complete/disgaea-5-complete_003.jpg
http://media.gamerevolution.com/ima...disgaea-5-complete/disgaea-5-complete_001.jpg

Please look at the icon of the screen shot

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That third video kinda... totally sold me on Disgaea. Sounds like such a mess of sub systems and tinkering with stats that can break things and I love how it sounds in general. I may just give it a go this time.

Also, that click sound is godlike. I hope it's systemwide

Disgaea is fucking insane. I probably put a hundred hours into the first game (on the Nintendo DS of all platforms) and it was enough to sate me for almost a decade. This is arriving at exactly the right time for me

LordKano

I didn't post the screenshots in the first place. LordKano did and the one labelled for Switch IS blurry.

? I posted a single screenshot from the Switch version (or at least according to the PR), and another in the same situation from the PS4 version. There's an incredibly small blurriness on the Switch screen because I had to downscale it, since the Switch screenshot was bigger. If I was able to properly scale it down (which I don't think is possible in photoshop), there wouldn't be anything.

You, however, were the one to take a screenshot from Nintendo's site, thinking it's a Switch shot and saying that it's blurrier than the PS4 version. However, as people found, the screenshots on Nintendo sites are actually from the PS4 version.

So, is the PS4 version blurrier than himself or you'll finally admet that you're the only one messing here ?

Top Bottom