• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 7: Vows of the Virtueless | Review Thread

7rwPp94l.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: Disgaea 7: Vows of the Virtueless

Platforms:
  • PC (Oct 3, 2023)
  • Nintendo Switch (Oct 3, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Oct 3, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (Oct 3, 2023)
Trailer:
Developer: Nippon Ichi Software, Inc

Publisher: NIS America

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 85 average - 100% recommended
Metacritic - 83 average based on 6 reviews

Critic Reviews

Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 8 / 10
Disgaea always stands out for its continuous development, and Disgaea 7: Vows of the Virtueless offers fans an additional incentive to sink numerous hours into this peculiar and charming world. The systems and features become more and more in-depth, so it's not exactly suitable for beginners. Still, it's worth a visit for those who might have been a bit disappointed last year or are looking for a new strategy RPG.

God is a Geek - Lyle Carr - 8.5 / 10
Disgaea 7: Vows of the Virtueless might just be the best game in the series, with engaging tactics gameplay and a whole lot of charm.

Infinite Start - Grant E. Gaines - 9 / 10
Disgaea 7: Vows of the Virtueless doesn't stray far from the familiar formula, but it stands out as one of the finest entries in the Disgaea series. For fans of its humor, storytelling, and core gameplay, the game rectifies some past missteps. While it's not without flaws – notably, the post-game content falls short of previous entries – it's still a must-play for those seeking a challenging RPG with extensive grinding opportunities.

Nintendo Life - Mitch Vogel - 9 / 10
Disgaea 7 offers up yet another enjoyable entry in the long-running series, offering up a more refined take on the famously in-depth gameplay systems. New mechanics such as Jumbification add some interesting wrinkles to the SRPG battles, while new modes like competitive ranked online bring even more playability to a game that'll take you hundreds of hours to see to completion. Perhaps best of all, Disgaea 7 is very newcomer-friendly, though we will add that the very deliberate and measured approach to min-maxing isn't for everyone. Whether you're looking for an excellent new RPG to sink a lot of time into or you've been a fan of Disgaea since the PS2 days, Disgaea 7 is a worthwhile entry that we'd recommend you pick up when you can.

NookGaming - Daniel Joseph - 9 / 10
I’ve had a brilliant time with Disgaea 7. Everything I’ve loved about the series is present here, wrapped up with a nice little bow. The effort made to refine elements from previous titles, and the new mechanical additions like the evil-gacha and jumbification, creates a fresh and fun experience. The personality and charm of the game’s characters is relentlessly compelling, and the comedic overtones keep the experience light and pacey. I can’t think of a better endorsement of Disgaea 7 than the fact that as soon as I’m done with this review I’ll be jumping right back into it.

Push Square - Khayl Adam - 8 / 10
Disgaea 7: Vows of the Virtueless continues the Disgaea series' inexorable march forward, adding new mechanics and further complexity. It features a story campaign that goes down smoothly, if a little forgettable, but it's full of clever encounters that require more input than previous outings. It won't convert unbelievers, but for those already on the hook, it's as good as the series gets.

Siliconera - Jenni Lada - 8 / 10
NIS America said Disgaea 7 would be built with Disgaea 6 feedback in mind, and the result is a much stronger, more traditional entry.

The Outerhaven Productions - Scott Adams - 4.5 / 5
Disgaea 7: Vows of the Virtueless is a great return to form for one of the most obnoxiously fun tactic based RPGS. If you were worried on the direction of the series based on Disgaea 6, take pleasure in knowing Disgaea 7 is a great addition to the beloved titles of old.

The Switch Effect - Richard Heaton - 5 / 5
The Disgaea franchise is incredibly ambitious and with each new installment the fun and chaos grow. Disgaea 7: Vows of the Virtueless is no exception.

TheSixthAxis - Miguel Moran - 9 / 10
Disgaea 7: Vows of the Virtueless sets a new standard for fun and flashy strategy RPGs. It's such a perfect blend of classic Disgaea feel and quirky new mechanics, and it's got some of the most memorable and entertaining characters the series has seen. This is the sequel that fans have been waiting for.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 8.3 / 10
Disgaea 7: Vows of the Virtueless is a substantial step-up from the previous game and it's bursting with so many zany mechanics and party customisation options that it'll make your head spin. Trying to master some of the missions will still give you a headache, though.

Amazon seems to be having an issue with the delivery dates for this game. Had to cancel a pre-order and try again, and still waiting for them to confirm delivery. The original pre-order said it would arrive sometime in November ffs.

Steam prices for this are insane, £92 for it with the DLC (so far) after their launch week discount, then £150! Even the pauper base edition at £55 is too rich for my tastes.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Any of you guys playing this? How is it? 3 + 4 + 5 all were great IMO. I skipped 6 because everyone said it stinks.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
What are the main gripes for 6?
I never finished it, but it seemed O.K. Somewhat convoluted, though, from my limited experience with it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
94KRe83.jpg

omg who the fuck would EVER buy the base version??

no discount at all! And only 2 stars out of 14

dave_d

94KRe83.jpg

omg who the fuck would EVER buy the base version??

no discount at all! And only 2 stars out of 14
So wait, if you buy the collectors set on NIS America you're actually getting the deluxe version and not the Unlimited? If you want the PS5 or Switch Unlimited versions the only way is on the store?

Valonquar

Week into this game now and it's largely the same game as the other ones. Biggest difference is they've gotten rid of all the item world innocents that aren't main stats. Instead you reincarnate weapons hundreds of times trying for a perfect set... or mostly don't need to. The power leveling is pretty streamlined. I already have 6 characters with 20mil stats. If you played and liked D1 through D6, you'll probably like this one anyhow.

What are the main gripes for 6?
I never finished it, but it seemed O.K. Somewhat convoluted, though, from my limited experience with it.
  • Lack of variety in classes
  • Auto mode that breaks the game too easily
  • Too many high numbers and levels to keep up with
  • Uninteresting characters (imo)
I'm liking 7's atmosphere and music so far. Characters are the most interesting since 4 imo.

Top Bottom