• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vizio P Series or Samsung KS8000

Hello. I am getting ready for the release of the PS4 Pro and I am in the market for a 4k HDR TV. Is there anyone who has experience with any of these TVs and how they would hold up with the PS4 pro?

ShutterMunster

You really could have used the search bar for this...

VIZIO P: Great IQ, bad input lag, not PC monitor ready.

Samsung: Decent IQ, no dolby vision, solid input lag performance.

Bessy67

I have the Samsung KS8000 (I'm assuming you're talking about the American version, not the UK one with different numbering). I'm definitely not any kind of A/V expert but I really like the TV. The input lag is pretty low compared to other 4K HDR sets on the market and the picture is great. The downside is that it's edge lit though, which apparently is not the greatest for HDR content and leads to some screen uniformity issues.

Ellite25

KS8000 without a doubt.

The Vizio has pretty bad input lag with HDR on while the KS8000 has pretty good input lag with HDR.

Seth

I have a P series, love it for everything so far. HDR isn't working properly with the xbox one S at the moment, but they have a firmware update coming in a month or so to fix it. I havent tried an HDR game on ps4 just yet since im waiting for the pro, but I hear it works fine.

Their marketing guy posts often on the AVS forums, talking about issues, things vizio is working on with firmware, and listening to features people want. So that was also part of my decision in getting the vizio. I like their involvement with the community.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I would never ever ever get a Vizio.

Never.

Samsung and Sony are my defacto TV providers.

Unless Pioneer decided to resurrect Kuro plasmas

Never.

The Vizio of today is not the Vizio of years back. The P series is one of the best 4K TVs available for the price range. Hell, it outperforms a fair amount of TVs that cost more.

scitek

KS8000 without a doubt.

The Vizio has pretty bad input lag with HDR on while the KS8000 has pretty good input lag with HDR.

Having finally played a game with HDR on the P-series in Shadow Warrior 2, I can say the input lag is a non-issue, and I'm usually very sensitive to it.

Seth

How bad is "bad" with the input lag on the vizio? Because on Rtings the HDR game rating doesn't seem so bad

Honestly its fine. Unless you are trying to be a competitive FPS/Fighter player then I really doubt you are gonna notice it. And if you do, youll probably just get used to it.

Besides, the marketing guy at vizio said reducing input lag for gaming is on their list of things to to work on in upcoming firmware updates. Honestly doubt youd see sony or samsung posting on forums telling users they are working on the things we want.

scitek

BTW, the Vizio guy who posts on AVSForum isn't just some community manager or other PR person, he's the company CTO - Matt McRae.

OP depends on the size screen you want, your budget and any additional info you can give us.

There always seems to be so many tradeoffs with these sets that just make me frustrated. They're so close to offering the TV I want. Buy none goes quite far enough.

-VA Panel (or OLED but too damn expensive)
-120hz native with support for 1080/120hz (4:4:4 would be a huge plus)
-4k:60hz 4:4:4 (necessary)
-HDR with Dolby Vision and HDR10
-90%+ of the DCI color space, full range 0-255, 10bit+ panel
-Full Array Local Dimming
-33ms or under with HDR

For 50" sub $1200.

Vizio and Sony keep getting so close, yet always walk a few features back that just push me to have to take a step back. Hopefully next year's Vizio or Samsung will get close enough, but somehow I doubt it.

With 4K TV's I'm kind of at the same place as I am with VR. Another few implementations and it'll be there.

RedRum

Banned
I play BO3 without game mode w/ HDR for more brightness and the input lag is VERY manageable. KS8000 all the way.

Robot Pants

HDR isn't working properly with the xbox one S at the moment, but they have a firmware update coming in a month or so to fix it..

Please explain. I believe you I just need to know what to look for on my current TV.
Is this the "lightened blacks" issue?

Rsinart

Recently picked up the 65" KS8000, so far its great. I have had no issues at all and gaming on the One S in hdr upscaled is nice.

scitek

Please explain. I believe you I just need to know what to look for on my current TV.
Is this the "lightened blacks" issue?

No, it's an issue where the TV doesn't recognize the HDR signal and displays it incorrectly. It's due to the Xbox One S outputting HDR in 4:2:0 chroma, not 4:4:4 like most sources. The issue is being fixed via firmware in the next few weeks.

Robot Pants

No, it's an issue where the TV doesn't recognize the HDR signal and displays it incorrectly. It's due to the Xbox One S outputting HDR in 4:2:0 chroma, not 4:4:4 like most sources. The issue is being fixed via firmware in the next few weeks.

ah gotcha. thanks

EvB

People totally swallowed down Visio's excuses about that. UHD discs are 4:2:0

Anyway, going back to the thread. The Samsung is a UHD Premium set, so for HDR that is the better set hands down.

Never.

Your loss. P series is one of the highest rated sets out right now.

I do still love my P series but if you're using it specifically for games I'd go with the Samsung. The Vizio can't display HDR with games as of now, and they haven't been clear about when an update will be out. Also the input lag, though supposedly it will be improved with a future firmware update.

If you'll be watching movies and shows too I'd get the P series though. Image quality is great and Dolby Vision stuff looks ridiculously good.

scitek

People totally swallowed down Visio's excuses about that. UHD discs are 4:2:0

Anyway, going back to the thread. The Samsung is a UHD Premium set, so for HDR that is the better set hands down.

The TV displays HDR at 4K/24Hz 4:2:0 just fine, which is what UHD discs are. It's 4K/60Hz that gives it trouble.

RPS37

In preparation for the the PS4Pro, I was looking at these two tvs. I went with the 55" Samsung.
Haven't been able to fully utilize the4k and HDR capabilities yet as I only have an Xbox One, but what I have seen on it has been pretty great.
this thing is going to make me get a One S, isn't it?

nikos

My three year old Sony W802a died the other day, so I'm in the market for the new one. The KS8000 is probably my #1 choice at the moment, but I'm considering the KU6300/7000 since they're a bit cheaper and I was not anticipating the expense of a new TV. I could also get more screen for less money. While I do prefer better quality, any of these sets would probably be an upgrade from what I had.

Norse

The vizio p series 65" set costs more than the ks8000 65" pretty much all the time. Vizio m and p series sets are very nice.

I have an m series 1080p set and gaming is great on it. I don't even use game mode.

For my 4k replacement I am looking at the vizio p series and Samsung ks 8000. 65" or larger.

Jonboy

Anyone have new thoughts on this considering the P-series firmware update that improved the input lag w/HDR on? From what I was reading on rtings, it seems to have a lower input lag than the KS8000 now.

SPEA

I have a P series and have had no real complaints so far. I haven't used the HDR feature yet, but everything else has been great. I have noticed no input lag by the way.

Jonboy

I have a P series and have had no real complaints so far. I haven't used the HDR feature yet, but everything else has been great. I have noticed no input lag by the way.
Nice, good to hear. If you ever happen to tryout anything with HDR, let us know if it feels worse.

The rtings review mentions the udpate, but I'm still not sure if it has to be on input 5 or 1-4. The original review said HDR was only available on inputs 1-4, but that 5 was the best for lower input lag.

So now that Vizio has this update...does HDR work on input 5 or is the HDR input lag just improved on inputs 1-4?

I've had both and returned the P Series. No TV tuner, you have to use the included tablet or a phone to do anything useful on it, the colors aren't as vibrant, and it's a bit ugly in comparison with the large bezel. If watching movies in a dark room is your primary use for it, then go ahead and get the P Series, Samsung wins in everything else except that it can't display 1080p at 120hz, if that means anything to you.

My issues with the P Series are poor grey uniformity and higher input lag...both are problems that are accentuated with gaming. (Grey uniformity gives you a "dirty screen effect" when panning the camera in games).

I ended up going with the KS8000 (curved model, actually) and I love it. It's one of the most vibrant TV's I've ever seen and its gaming performance is fantastic. If they're similar in price, I'd go with the Samsung. If there's a significant price difference, the P Series is still an excellent TV.

KS8000, of the two. And Samsung's top of the line units are generally better than Vizio's, but the mid-tier is more competitive.

But you're going to want to get OLED as it floods the market for the next 3 years.

Jonboy

My issues with the P Series are poor grey uniformity and higher input lag...both are problems that are accentuated with gaming. (Grey uniformity gives you a "dirty screen effect" when panning the camera in games).

I ended up going with the KS8000 (curved model, actually) and I love it. It's one of the most vibrant TV's I've ever seen and its gaming performance is fantastic. If they're similar in price, I'd go with the Samsung. If there's a significant price difference, the P Series is still an excellent TV.

What are some of the best recent prices on the KS8000? The 60in is currently showing as $1499 on Best Buy. Probably a little too big for my room this would be going in, but the 55in is showing as the same price considering it's not on sale. 49in model is showing as $1099.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...rue&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

KS8000, of the two. And Samsung's top of the line units are generally better than Vizio's, but the mid-tier is more competitive.

But you're going to want to get OLED as it floods the market for the next 3 years.
Yeah this is what usually happens to me...haha. I get on the verge of buying something like the KS8000, but then decide to wait on OLEDs to drop a bit more in price. I blame Horizon for causing me to revisit this decision yet again.

Is the LG B6 oled out of your budget?

Still out of my budget and it also seems like they still need to sort out some issues when it comes to gaming. The latest update on rtings said "in the 'HDR Game' picture mode there is some screen tearing in the bottom 1/4inch of the display. This does not affect the other picture modes."

Top Bottom