• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro developer verdict: ‘I didn’t meet a single person that understood the point of it’

Mr.Phoenix

It was tight, like knees near the sides of the steering wheel tight

My wife always said I did more harm to my knees getting in and out of our small cars than I did playing sports

My left knee is pure trash which wasn't my plant leg throwing a baseball but is where all the pressure was getting in those cars
Sigh... the things we do for love.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
PS5 Pro isn't gonna give you games at native 4k60fps
Developers aren't gonna stop using scaling methods
So stop with the "the games runs at 1080p bla,bla,bla
When the base resolution is that and it being upscale to 4k.
It done by design and the Devs ain't gonna change that, it's easier for them to do that then actually spend months optimising the game to run flawless at a native resolution and stable framerate.
The hardware isn't the problem, it time & effort.
And you go and present a more powerful console to them they are obviously gonna say "what's that for 🤨"
Because they don't need more powerful hardware because they aren't using what they got, you're just assuming they are because of what they put out.
Hardware isn't the problem.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Yeah, if my Playstation 5 craps-out or breaks or dies in 2025/2026, I'd definitely buy a PS5 Pro. But if my Playstation 5 is working fine, I'm not going to sell it to get the PS5 Pro

Zuzu

It probably isn't as needed as the PS4 Pro & Xbox One X but there's still good reasons for it to exist. The primary reason is to provide more performance modes that have good image quality and graphical fidelity (and to further improve 30fps/quality modes). Another reason is to improve ray-tracing fidelity which is quite rudimentary in these consoles. And a final reason is to introduce PSSR into Playstation hardware. By introducing it now it might help them to build and refine the technology over the next four years so that it can be much more mature technology for the PS6.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

PS5 Pro is probably happening. People need to get over it. If you dont like it, stfu and dont buy it, simple. It doesnt effect your life or gaming experience one bit if its happening.
For people Who want it, its good news

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
If you dont like it, stfu and dont buy it, simple.
The Office Thank You GIF

I understand discussing your grievances with it and why you don't like it, this is what discussions are for, but those bitching just to bitch can take a hike.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I understand why they would say that, but as a competitive company, why would sony open the door to another company releasing a drastically more power full machine?

Let's just play what if - say sony had zero plans for a pro and intended to do nothing. Does that not at least open the door to a series z or Nintendo console that suddenly destroys the ps5 in terms of raw power? Why chance it.

SHA

It is not going to succeed at the latter. But yes I guess it will humiliate the 3070 and 3060
The 40 series is still on numbers game, a fps raiser, there is nothing special up to this moment about it. What I'm trying to say is when real current gen games hit the market, it's gonna be too late.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The 40 series is still on numbers game, a fps raiser, there is nothing special up to this moment about it.
The features that the 40 series are known for (great upscaling, frame generation, unparalleled RT performance,) are all features that the PS5 Pro has a vested interest in copying... I think it's safe to say that the 40 series is quite special

ReBurn

Gold Member
I find the discourse hilarious. Better performance is apparently not reason enough. Two consoles is too much for a gen.
What makes it even more hilarious was the outlets and devs who defended the shitshow that is the Series S. So if releasing a borked console that has held back the entire gen is acceptable, why is it such a issue for PS to release a improved console?
Also just consider next year, GTA6. The whole narrative will change when PS5 Pro is the definite best console to play it on, suddenly the devs and everyone else will be singing a different tune
People sure are propping up GTA VI as the killer app for PS5 Pro. I'm looking forward to the complaints that the weaker base PS5 is holding back the PS5 Pro version in some way.

diffusionx

Gold Member
True that wouldn't be a worthwhile upgrade, except the Pro is offering more than just pushing a few more pixels. Everyone loves getting caught up in all the numbers of TFLOPs and Ps etc but that misses the point. In the case of Returnal, the Pro could take the existing 1080p output and greatly enhance the IQ making it look pretty close to native 4K while also adding the Ray Tracing effects from the PC version. So the existing 1080p/60 internal resolution goes to possibly ~1440p/60 internal then using PSSR (quality) to reconstruct a 4K/60 with RT that will look way better than the current base version. That's a meaningful upgrade. Further, if they chose to, they could probably push a 120fps perf mode using the same settings as the existing game along with PSSR with IQ that looks better than the current game.

It's really not just about pixel counts and TFLOPs. It's the sum of all the parts
I don't think this gives the juice you think it does. Here is DF's post on Returnal PC vs. PS5:

It's funny because he even says "look at the jump in image quality", and looking at the provided screenshot, it's like, "yea... Ok, I see it, but who cares really"

And sure some do, but this takes me back to my original point. The PS4 Pro upgrade was obvious and easy to sell, and coincided with 4K TVs. If screenshot comparisons like what are in that article is what they have to sell the PS5 Pro on, they don't have much.

Last edited:
If you demand that devs design games for a lot of platforms, they are going to be restricted by whatever the weakest platform is. A Ps5 Pro isn't going to change that.

But it would if the PS5 Pro would let you design the game for the base consoles @ 30 fps since there's enough people out there who insist on 60 fps.

Seems the Pro simply isn't fast enough to guarantee that.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

If youre a developer that hasn’t been able to use PS5 at it’s fullest, I really don’t care about your opinion.

This has been true in every generation though I believe? Typically you haven't seen games pushing the console to the max until late in the gen. Not just from 3rd party releases, but 1st party software as well.

Granted, I jumped into last gen when the Pro launched and since I anticipated Sony might do a mid gen pro again, I have been waiting for its re!ease to join this gen.(which is fine since I have a backlog of PS4/Switch games).

Overall the PS4 Pro was a good console but mine often was loud enough to rival a vacuum cleaner when playing some games. ). I imagine those with a PSVR benefited the most from the upgrade though.

Of course the PS4 Pro was considerably cheaper at launch than the PS5 Pro will be. Perhaps by $150 or even $200. That is fairly significant and I imagine that will impact sales to an extent. I can understand why 3rd party developers aren't exactly excited about it, especially since the Pro will only be a small % of the total PS5 sold.

Neofire

I can't stand devs that try to speak for everyone. We don't know what the hell people have allegedly told you or even if the ps5 is their main platform or not. It's like he's trying to sike people out in hopes people won't buy it.

Unfortunately for him the pro version of the ps4 only accounted for about 20% of units sold and so I'm sure Sony isn't releasing it to outsell the base ps5. Its strictly for enthusiast that want a version that pushes the boundaries further for what the console can do.

K' Dash

The Office Thank You GIF

I understand discussing your grievances with it and why you don't like it, this is what discussions are for, but those bitching just to bitch can take a hike.

They're putting resources on a stupid refresh nobody wanted/needed instead of investing in games. They don't have any 1st party games coming, they abandoned the PSVR2 and Bungie left a hole of a few billion with nothing to show for it.

It is really a stupid decision, added to the string of stupid decisions, they should be grateful of MS incompetence to take advantage of the situation.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
They're putting resources on a stupid refresh nobody wanted/needed instead of investing in games. They don't have any 1st party games coming, they abandoned the PSVR2 and Bungie left a hole of a few billion with nothing to show for it.

It is really a stupid decision, added to the string of stupid decisions, they should be grateful of MS incompetence to take advantage of the situation.
giphy.gif

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

Eiknarf

Banned
Unfortunately for him the pro version of the ps4 only accounted for about 20% of units sold and so I'm sure Sony isn't releasing it to outsell the base ps5. Its strictly for enthusiast that want a version that pushes the boundaries further for what the console can do.
Oh interesting.. I didn’t know that.
So is the thinking that the PS5 Pro will account for less, about the same, or more than the 20% that the PS4 Pro sold?

If you demand that devs design games for a lot of platforms, they are going to be restricted by whatever the weakest platform is. A Ps5 Pro isn't going to change that.

Hardware is not the problem.

Rampant greed is.
Then explain how Cyberpunk 2077 is available to purchase on Xbox One and PS4 (2012 era GPU/CPU) and yet simultaneously one of the most impressive looking games even at this point with the most advanced lighting system of any game on the market (Path-tracing on capable PC hardware).

Three

PS5 Pro isn't gonna give you games at native 4k60fps
Developers aren't gonna stop using scaling methods
So stop with the "the games runs at 1080p bla,bla,bla
When the base resolution is that and it being upscale to 4k.
It done by design and the Devs ain't gonna change that, it's easier for them to do that then actually spend months optimising the game to run flawless at a native resolution and stable framerate.
The hardware isn't the problem, it time & effort.
And you go and present a more powerful console to them they are obviously gonna say "what's that for 🤨"
Because they don't need more powerful hardware because they aren't using what they got, you're just assuming they are because of what they put out.
Hardware isn't the problem.
When you have more powerful consoles the developer has to put less time and effort to achieve a similar result with less optimisation. There is the QA tradeoff though and ultimately that may not make as much sense when you have 2 SKUs but suggesting developers put in more time and effort into development with the ballooning development costs isn't going to happen. The alternative is to brute force it with hardware.

Neofire

Oh interesting.. I didn’t know that.
So is the thinking that the PS5 Pro will account for less, about the same, or more than the 20% that the PS4 Pro sold?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Ok, then describe a restriction to something other than visuals that has held back games?

Programming for weaker hardware means you can’t push the boundaries when it comes to things like npc ai, destructible environments, physics engines, animation quality, scenario complexity… etc.

That’s why we hear so many correct complaints that games now feel no more advanced than ones on Ps360.

Flashy visuals mean next to nothing in terms of actual gameplay and game design.

If you’ve got to program for the dumb machines, the smart ones get hamstrung.

Last edited:

SHA

People sure are propping up GTA VI as the killer app for PS5 Pro. I'm looking forward to the complaints that the weaker base PS5 is holding back the PS5 Pro version in some way.
Most games even the unreleased yet are considered old, we still haven't reached the theoretical benefits of 8c/16th, it's basically the number of cores will benefit the game incrementally, it's proven on other uses, but not yet on games, unless we get over this issue consoles will still look underpowered, I'm not brain farting, these are all facts.

Top Bottom