• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Season Pass is simply overpriced

It seems in the last two years that season or deluxe, king blah blah passes have became 100 percent the norm.

Seems like almost every game has an 80 to 100 dollar version.

Which games aren't doing this?

Even Resident Evil is doing this crap on old games.

Intel_89

Nintendo?

Sure, Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors added a lot of value for what you payed but those are the only ones I can think of, Fire Emblem games have a bunch of DLC's which aren't exactly cheap for what they offer and BotW might be overpriced as well depending on the amount of content the 2nd DLC offers.

But yeah, don't buy season passes upfront, they get discounts eventually anyway after launch so there's really no reason to buy them before the games are even out.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I feel ya OP but I bought it anyway because the game was so good and I was so happy that RE is back on track. So have my moneyz Capcom.

Jawmuncher

It is over priced. Even when you factor in we don't have the last DLC. Just looking at the individual pricing of the packs makes it apparent.

They want 5 for their last story content? Nah that doesn't make sense. Guarantee the two banned footages were made on the cheap and have already been profitable due to the games sales.

So by upping their pride and forcing people to more or less buy the season pass for the best deal. They're getting money that's basically all for this last upcoming DLC. Or thats the way they see it anyway.

Santar

sigh, yeah, I really regret buying the season pass. Waay overpriced for what we got, even with a two hour new story chapter on the way. It's my first full priced season pass and it certainly didn't make me want to buy any more.

13ruce

Banned
Those 50$ passes are the worst imo they nearly never add the same amount of content as a full new game.

Still don't get why people complained about the Zelda one that one seems to be atleast fairly priced compared to those.

Sure you have Witcher 3 dlc but that is a real rare case with dlc sadly.

AHA-Lambda

Those 50$ passes are the worst imo they nearly never add the same amount of content as a full new game.

Still don't get why people complained about the Zelda one that one seems to be atleast fairly priced compared to those.

Sure you have Witcher 3 dlc but that is a real rare case with dlc sadly.

because it looks like the only worthy thing of note is one dungeon to be released at the end of the year?

Was waiting for this topic for awhile lol

Can't say I feel ripped off by it, I like most of the DLC so far. But considering there's no extra mode after you beat the game, yeah, that sucks.

Edit: Wait, Volume 1 and 2 are priced differently? That's super weird.

myco666

Yeah it has been bit overpriced for sure. Vol.2 especially. I think Vol.1 was a decent package.

I finished vol.1/2 in about 2 hours

Vol3 better be fuckin meaty, as much as i love the game...ugh

I kinda doubt that when something like 21 Survival+ takes around one hour to finish and that is one difficulty of that particular game mode. Not saying there is a ton of content but there is more than 2 hours of content.

AHA-Lambda

I finished vol.1/2 in about 2 hours

Vol3 better be fuckin meaty, as much as i love the game...ugh

Did you beat Ethan Must Die?

You can certainly experience all the content in a couple of hours but to finish it I'd wager would take a bit more, even if you're not going for 100% completion/all unlockables etc.

T.O.P

Banned
Yeah it has been bit overpriced for sure. Vol.2 especially. I think Vol.1 was a decent package.

I kinda doubt that when something like 21 Survival+ takes around one hour to finish and that is one difficulty of that particular game mode. Not saying there is a ton of content but there is more than 2 hours of content.

I finished the base content, i didn't bother with the extra difficulties tbf so i stand corrected

At least i fuckin loved Daughters

cvxfreak

Have to agree with the sentiment in this thread.

7 years ago, we paid $5 each for Lost In Nightmares and Desperate Escape -- and those were complete, yet unique game experiences that came about a year later.

T.O.P

Banned
Did you beat Ethan Must Die?

You can certainly experience all the content in a couple of hours but to finish it I'd wager would take a bit more, even if you're not going for 100% completion/all unlockables etc.

Not 100% but yes, i got insanely good rng on my third run in EMD

I guess 3-4 or so hours would be more fair

Branduil

Can I digress here to say how much I hate this "season pass" nomenclature being used for game DLC? In real life, season passes are something that expire- why would you use that term for DLC when it implies that access to the extra content will end? It's such incompetent advertising.

myco666

I finished the base content, i didn't bother with the extra difficulties tbf so i stand corrected

At least i fuckin loved Daughters

If you don't care about difficulty modes then it is definitely not a great deal.

Daughters? Really? I thought that was easily the worst thing so far.

Ah fair enough, I'm jealous :p

I've been at EMD for hours now, and have just given up >_>

What is causing you problems?

AHA-Lambda

What is causing you problems?

The RNG can be annoying, but the biggest thing is that I just finds the fact that everything can kill you in 1-2 hits to be brutally unreasonable.

Best I've managed is to get to the living room, not even got to the boss yet.

myco666

The RNG can be annoying, but the biggest thing is that I just finds the fact that everything can kill you in 1-2 hits to be brutally unreasonable.

Best I've managed is to get to the living room, not even got to the boss yet.

The damage you take is really dumb. Should be able to take couple of more hits and it would be reasonable.

There are bunch of good videos on YT that show the strategies to beat that mode. Look up those and try to mimic them. Enemies behave similiarly everytime so you can really just memorize it all. Also use block if you are about to get hit.

NJD316

Neo Member
This is why I'm waiting for a deluxe/ GOAT edition of this game. Really want to play it but would rather have the DLC stuff in there as part of the full game.

AHA-Lambda

The damage you take is really dumb. Should be able to take couple of more hits and it would be reasonable.

There are bunch of good videos on YT that show the strategies to beat that mode. Look up those and try to mimic them. Enemies behave similiarly everytime so you can really just memorize it all. Also use block if you are about to get hit.

Yeah, I've watched a couple and it's helped with getting to where I have, but I'm just burned out on even trying anymore after hours worth of attempts now.

If you could take at least a couple of hits it maybe wouldn't be so bad, that's my biggest issue with it.

only witcher 3 did it right baby

I'd say the Souls games have been pretty good.

dan2026

DON'T BUY SEASON PASSES!

Why would you want to store your money in a developers pocket, for some unknown content, of unknown quality, usually at some unknown time?

Its mad.

Zakalwe

Banned
Last DLC isn't even out yet, so I don't see the hubbub just yet.

2/3 DLC so far not being value for money and you don't see cause for concern?

PS - I haven't played them myself, I'm just saying. 2/3 is in favour of the overall SP not being worth it if true.

I was disappointed in the length of the main game, had a hunch the DLC would also make me feel that way and didn't buy it. :p They're hardly ever worth it, unless they state exactly what content is going to be there, or at least the length.

Gator86

Season passes are completely, 100% scams. Unless you can get one for some absurd bargain, stay the fuck away. It's like preordering a game, which you shouldn't do already, and not even knowing what the game is about. One of the worse scams in gaming.

It is over priced. Even when you factor in we don't have the last DLC. Just looking at the individual pricing of the packs makes it apparent.

They want 5 for their last story content? Nah that doesn't make sense. Guarantee the two banned footages were made on the cheap and have already been profitable due to the games sales.

So by upping their pride and forcing people to more or less buy the season pass for the best deal. They're getting money that's basically all for this last upcoming DLC. Or thats the way they see it anyway.

The story DLC for the pass is only going to be $5? Where did that come from?

Sakujou

Banned
This is why you don't buy season passes.

companies get away with that:
charge moon prices for dlc and season passes and the consumers blindly buy it without even knowing what will be the dlc or what the season pass will contain.

problem is, that companies see, that customers are willing to pay the price... so they will keep continuing with this scheme.

i buy GOTY-editions when they are on sale, so i dont fucking care.

i want companies selling a version1.0 game with no additional horseshit or patches, but those times are gone, even nintendo sometimes patches games :(

carlsojo

So far it's one of the better season passes I've purchased. I got decent playtime out of Jack's birthday in particular.

The last pass I bought was for Arkham Knight and that was true garbage tier.

Before we start talking about whether this one is over priced though maybe we should wait for all the content to come out?

BadWolf

The main game is barebones as it comes when in comes to content and they had DLC a week after release, most of this was clearly held back from the main game to sell separately.

I will never reward bullshit practices like this.

Spaghetti

So, I watched the DLC on YouTube rather than buying it (because PS4 timed exclusivity), but even experiencing it that way made me think it was a ripoff for the price Capcom are asking.

only witcher 3 did it right baby
Yeah, sadly. At least I know I can rely on CDPR in the future to do right by me if I decide to buy a season pass for their games.

xviper

Bed Room was perfect and worth the 10$

Daughters was good but very short

what is the 3rd DLC and when does it come out ?

Rarius

I'm not a fan of them basically outright lying about the chapter's length. I swear that each of the tapes in Banned Footage were supposed to be between 45 minutes and 2 hours in length.

AHA-Lambda

Bed Room was perfect and worth the 10$

Daughters was good but very short

what is the 3rd DLC and when does it come out ?

Bedroom is like 30 mins long at most. It's good but it ain't worth $10 on its own.

I'm assuming it's coming from the price of Volumes 1 and 2 versus the price of the season pass.

I'd expect $10-15 for the last piece, putting it in line price wise with the rest (and so probably the same in terms of scope/length of content)

Gren

Yeesh that DLC content does sound bad. Nevermind buying the season pass, I'm not sure I'd buy any of that even as discounted standalone DLC.

Finally got around to finishing the game last night. Concur that some sort of bonus mode would've been appreciated (even a survival mode across the same locales would do). Hope that bit of free DLC is decent.

ButchCat

What's bullshit is that you can't purchase the DLC pieces separately (Which I'm sure they will down the line). I could care less about modes like Jack 55th Birthday, Nightmare or Ethan Must Die. So why force me to buy these bundles?!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For those curious on the last DLC, third DLC comes out towards the end of 2017, it's a full side campaign thing that's several hours long and with a horror focus. It takes place in a completely new location that wasn't in RE7 with a completely new story, but with a tie-in to RE7's story. It is being directed by a person who was a lead designer on P.T. and joined Capcom near the end of RE7's development.

But it's still in early/mid development, so won't see it for several months. Probably will release this Fall.

For those curious on the last DLC, third DLC comes out towards the end of 2017, it's a full side campaign thing that's several hours long and with a horror focus. It takes place in a completely new location that wasn't in RE7 with a completely new story, but with a tie-in to RE7's story. It is being directed by a person who was a lead designer on P.T. and joined Capcom near the end of RE7's development.

But it's still in early/mid development, so won't see it for several months. Probably will release this Fall.

Wasn't aware of this

Jawmuncher

No im going by the individually pricing which is all kinds of off. Banned 1 is 10 Banned 2 is 15. The season pass usually offers some sort of discount over buying individually so we can guess that it'll be 10-15. But it's just odd. Since most of the time the first two pieces would be similar price, and the last DLC would be maybe 5 bucks more to justify it as a "deal".

Top Bottom