• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerbanks (at least those with USB-C) work with Nintendo Switch

So what should I get if I want something smaller that will add about one full charge and also charge faster than the Switch will drain?

Koppai

For those of you who bought the RAV 20100mah charger did you buy the old model or the new model? And how do I get in on that $35 deal :p

sadromeo

For those of you who bought the RAV 20100mah charger did you buy the old model or the new model? And how do I get in on that $35 deal :p

I bought the one that $80+. Well, the day after I bought it, it goes from $84.99 to $69.99.

I believe this is the new one?

usctrojan

I think a major selling point of the PD isn't just charging the switch faster but topping off the powerbank as well. In a pinch, waiting 8-10 hours to charge it up at a hotel isn't as easy as getting it charged in half the time (although not sure how PD compares to QC3)

I bought the one that $80+. Well, the day after I bought it, it goes from $84.99 to $69.99.

Shit I did the same thing. Tempted to rebuy and return with the $85 receipt. Gonna see if the store is cool and will just do the refund.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I still dont have the switch till sunday or monday, but I have an EasyAcc 20000 powerbank that has worked really well with my samsung galaxy 6 and even my vita and 3ds.
So I hope it also works well with the Switch.
EDIT Fuck, it has to USB-C ports but are for charging the device itself. I suppose it will work if I buy a cable from USB-C to USB no?

Should be fine with a USB to USB C cable

Cheap one. Almost half the price in the UK and still charges the switch using the USB-A 2.4A sockets (slowly while playing, quicker when sleeping)

Most of my stuff isn't USB C (switch is the only one) so I wasn't paying a premium for slightly faster charging for one device

So I glad I waited until pay day to order mine :)

And thanks to all the advice in this thread. I didn't know fast charge (input and output) power banks were even a thing. I'll get a lot of use out of this for more than just the switch.

Koutsoubas

I need your advice guys!! Apparently I cant buy Ravpower 26800 Type C because they dont ship to Greece.

Whats my alternative for a good type c Powerbank??

Thank you

Snickle

Neo Member
I would like to confirm the Anker PowerCore+ 20100 not only charges the Switch in sleep mode, but also charges the Switch while playing. I'm not exactly sure how quickly it charges while playing, but my Switch went from 88% to 100% within an hour while playing Zelda at about 75% screen brightness.

Hopefully I can get some advice for my situation now that dust has settled a bit.

I have a Dell XPS13 laptop that has a USB C port on it. I also have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge which supports Qualcomm's quick charge. I'm looking for something that I can use to play the Switch in the car, but also to act as an AC adapter for both the XPS13, the phone and the Switch when I'm at my hotel so that I don't have to bring my laptop's AC adapter too. I also currently have a quick charge compatible car adapter that we use in the car to charge the phone. I'm trying to minimize how many adapters I need to pack.

What is my best option currently? Is it better to just get a car adapter with USB-A and USB-C and a wall wart for now until better power bank options are available? Or can the power bank also act like an AC adapter once it's plugged into the wall? If the power bank has quick charge support on the USB-A ports, that isn't a problem with using the USB-C port right? How crucial is USB-PD support since it seems like there are so few options?

sadromeo

It looks like both the PD Ravpower chargers (20100 and 26800) are out of stock on Amazon. At least the 20100 is out of stock only temporarily.

Cuburt

I got this Anker 2nd-Gen Astro E5 High-Capacity 16750mAh 3A Portable External Battery Charger for my phone last year. Only has a USB 2.0 A connector so I wasn't sure how great it would charge while playing, though the battery has a max output at 5V 3A.

Decided to drain my Switch battery some an test it out while playing. It didn't charge very fast but I was able to get it from 86% to 100%. It wasn't a serious test, more just to see if it could charge so I'm not sure how long it took. I just used the USB A to C cord that came with the Pro Controller.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with using it as a back up for now, but I do think having a bigger capacity battery that charges faster would be worthwhile in the future. At the very least, it seems like your average powerbank may at least work to give you enough extra playtime to get to a charger and you don't need a top of the line charger to charge while you play.

sadromeo

The Ravpower 20100 PD 30W charger is now $99.99 on Amazon.

Glad I got mine when it was $84.99. Not as good as $69.99 but still better than $99.99.

Takat

Can anyone help on choosing a USB-A to USB-C cable? And can I connect it to any USB-A output?

Thanks, much appreciated!

sadromeo

Can anyone help on choosing a USB-A to USB-C cable? And can I connect it to any USB-A output?

Thanks, much appreciated!

You should be good with either Ankey, Aukey or iOrange USB-A to USB-C cables.

As long as the USB-A port is at least 2.1a it should work.

Man it seems like everything is getting sold out on Amazon. I didn't think the supply would dry up so quickly. I guess Switch owners are causing these things to sell out.

sadromeo

So I have this:

New Trent External battery charger.

Will this work? And what kind of USB cable should I buy to connect to the switch?

E: Helpful info:

Input: 5V@1.5A
Outputs: 5V@2.1A and 5V@1A

As long as you use the 5V/2.1a port, it should definitely charge the Switch when not in use. You would need to have a USB-a to USB-c cable.

I am not sure if it will charge while in use (like playing Zelda). If it does, it would charge very slowly.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
As long as you use the 5V/2.1a port, it should definitely charge the Switch when not in use. You would need to have a USB-a to USB-c cable.

I am not sure if it will charge while in use (like playing Zelda). If it does, it would charge very slowly.

Thanks for the response. I ordered a USB A to C cable last night. Last thing to get is a carrying case. :)

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I picked up the Jackery Titan and gave it a go this weekend. It worked really well. On Saturday my Switch was close to dead, I plugged it in expected to extend the batter by maybe an hour. It lasted hours. At the end, I had a fully charged Switch too.

Specification:
Capacity: 20100mAh
Input: Type-C(USB-C):5V/3A Max
(Use a 15W or USB-C adapter to recharge the Titan S)
Output: 3 ports , 25 W Max (total)
Output 1: Smart Fit port , 5V/3A Max
Output 2: USB-C(Type-C ) port,5V/3A Max
Output 3: Quick Charge 2.0 port, 18W Max
(For Quick Charge 2.0 compatible devices , output can be 5V/2.4A, 9V/2A, or 12V/1.5A Max depends on different models.
Compact Size: 5.9 x 3.2 x 0.8 inches
Weight: 15.4 ounce

Update for those who are interested.

Using my PowerGen 12000 in the 2amps out socket with an Anker USB C to USB A lead, and it’s charging my Switch (or, at least, it hasn’t blown up yet).

As long as the Switch is in Sleep or Power Off mode, it charges quickly. I’ve been timing it and it’s gone from 71% to 87% in 16 minutes (nearly a percent per minute), meaning that it should go from 0 to 100% in about a couple of hours, give or take the fluctuations of the charge being slower during the lower stages compared to the higher I’ve currently tested it at. Not bad for a 4 year old USB A battery bank.

This also corroborates with others who have used similar packs in the thread, but I suspect the quality of cable also helps, so thanks for everyone who recommended the Anker one.

A word of caution, though – whenever I took it out of Sleep mode, the battery bank started to drain far quicker (noted by the four power lights dropping to three). This was with just the Home lock screen (Zelda on pause). So it’s clearly not powerful enough to charge while playing, at least beyond a short period. But still, a couple hours of break for a full charge means I can watch a movie on a flight before jumping into Hyrule again. I’ll take that as a win.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Any reccomendations on a relatively light weight battery that will give me 3-5 extra hours in portable mode?

I want to pick something up next week to go with my Switch which comes in tomorrow.

shiyrley

Banned
Any reccomendations on a relatively light weight battery that will give me 3-5 extra hours in portable mode?

I want to pick something up next week to go with my Switch which comes in tomorrow.
This powerbank plus this cable

You can charge the powerbank with any microUSB or USB C charger. It accepts both inputs. With this powerbank, the battery goes up even while playing Zelda.

japtor

hey guys is there a thread for wall adapters? i just bought this one and it aint working. :( dont really know why it aint working tho.
If you got two things plugged in, try unplugging the other one. If you haven't tried both ports yet, try that. And if you have another cable to try, try that.

...can't think of anything else other than trying another outlet. Or try plugging in the Switch while sleeping and see if that senses it at least.
is no one using any smaller / ligher power banks for one or two charge? or are they not good enough to charge on the go.
Yeah I'm curious about the smaller 10-15k mAh ones since I kinda want a general one I can carry around easily enough with my phone too vs the relatively large 20k+ ones.

Minsc

Gold Member
Way too big.

I'm just looking for something small that will give me a couple of extra hours.

Anyone know any?

How small are you looking for? This is considerably smaller, but you'll need to use a USB A to C cable. If that's too big, you can try something like this, and use a micro USB to USB C converter. You won't find anything smaller than that, that's probably small enough to store in even the smallest cases. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of too many USB C power banks that are really compact in size. I imagine they'll become more popular in the upcoming months though, so just keep searching if you don't see what you like.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
How small are you looking for? This is considerably smaller, but you'll need to use a USB A to C cable. If that's too big, you can try something like this, and use a micro USB to USB C converter. You won't find anything smaller than that, that's probably small enough to store in even the smallest cases. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of too many USB C power banks that are really compact in size. I imagine they'll become more popular in the upcoming months though, so just keep searching if you don't see what you like.

Those actually look great, Thanks!

shiyrley

Banned
Way too big.

I'm just looking for something small that will give me a couple of extra hours.

Anyone know any?
Uh it's not that big. It fits in my pocket (normal male jeans). I can take some pics or size comparitions with the Switch itself if you want. The only smaller option I can think of is this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A6HKP7E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I had it for some months and it was ok but it broke when taking it to a very high and humid place (around 2000 meters in height and it was snowing. maybe it was my fault idk, but nothing else of what I brought there broke). But it's 10.000 mah so if you charge your switch from 0 to 100 while it's off, you would empty almost half of the powerbank. And you would probably empty it fully if charging the switch from 0 to 100 while playing.

And if you want something even smaller than that... uh... don't even bother with it then lol

I would like to confirm the Anker PowerCore+ 20100 not only charges the Switch in sleep mode, but also charges the Switch while playing. I'm not exactly sure how quickly it charges while playing, but my Switch went from 88% to 100% within an hour while playing Zelda at about 75% screen brightness.

Yeah it definitely does. I was playing last night in bed and got the battery warning (Zelda has me hooked). I plugged it into the Anker PowerCore plus and was up to 65% when I was done.

However, weirdest thing is that I left it charging overnight and when I woke up the Switch battery was dead. I know the Anker will pull battery if connected C to C and not turned on first, but since I was clearly charging he Switch before going to bed, not sure what happened. Thoughts anyone?!?

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah it definitely does. I was playing last night in bed and got the battery warning (Zelda has me hooked). I plugged it into the Anker PowerCore plus and was up to 65% when I was done.

However, weirdest thing is that I left it charging overnight and when I woke up the Switch battery was dead. I know the Anker will pull battery if connected C to C and not turned on first, but since I was clearly charging he Switch before going to bed, not sure what happened. Thoughts anyone?!?

Once it finished charging the anker stopped sending energy to the switch, shortly after it started taking it from the switch I imagine. Since it's out/in. If you use a USB A port that isn't in issue since it's out only.

Once it finished charging the anker stopped sending energy to the switch, shortly after it started taking it from the switch I imagine. Since it's out/in. If you use a USB A port that isn't in issue since it's out only.

Wait, so if I charge my Switch from my laptop through its C port, after it fully charges the Switch, it'll then start draining it to charge the laptop?

http://news.mydrivers.com/1/515/515170_all.htm

From the analysis (in Chinese, and Google translated), I reckon this powerbank is the closest it could get to emulating the power profile provided by the official Nintendo AC charger. Cant verify until I get my unit this Friday.

I was considering the RAVPower 26800mAh with Power Delivery profile, but nobody's shipping across the Pacific where I am. Easier to source this instead around my side of the world.

It's Xiaomi's ZMI 10 QB820 model with USB-PD. https://xiaomi-mi.com/news-and-acti...iaomi-zmi-comes-out-with-a-heavyweight-champ/

What excited me the most is this:

LatUYNg.jpg

Exact 15V 2.6A power rating for the official AC adapter.

Other PD profiles include 5V 1.5A, 5V 3A, 9V 3A, 12V 3A, and 20V 2A.

From the response of a user with the same powerbank in Nintendo Switch Reddit,

It charged from 37% to 81% in 1 hour with the Switch in sleep. When I played Zelda(100%, max speaker volume) It charged from 81% to 93%. I think it's quite good.

All ready with a 30W USB-PD desktop charger and Benson Leung approved USB-C cable, only thing left is the powerbank for charging on the go. I do have the Aukey 30,000mAh powerbank minus the USB-C charge output (only input) and charges through USB-A port, that only manages to stop the Switch from draining while playing Fast RMX. Only when it's in sleep mode that the Aukey will start charging.

Minsc

Gold Member
Wait, so if I charge my Switch from my laptop through its C port, after it fully charges the Switch, it'll then start draining it to charge the laptop?

Laptops are pickier about what they will accept to charge them than a power bank, so probably not, but I guess you could take a fully charge Switch and check. I imagine every laptop is a little different, as that is the case for charging them over USB-C (not every USB-C power bank will work on every USB-C laptop).

This is the powerbank I received today, that I reckon after research and info-gathering for the past two weeks, closely matches my need of "quick-charging my Switch at maximum brightness maximum volume while playing Zelda BOTW", rather than either "maintaining charge while playing Zelda at maximum brightness maximum volume" or "trickle charging the Switch while playing Zelda BOTW at maximum brightness maximum volume". While it's entire possible to charge the Switch using commonly available standards 5V 2.4A powerbanks adequately while in sleep mode, my routine dictates that I need the Switch charging while playing, I have this horrible habit of playing games for long hours without much pause or stopping. This habit requires a portable charger fast enough to fill the Switch battery to counter the battery drain while playing graphically intensive games like Zelda BOTW and Fast RMX.

The Xiaomi ZMI QB820. https://xiaomi-mi.com/news-and-actions/in-t...vyweight-champ/

in-the-footsteps-of-xiaomi-zmi-comes-out-with-a-heavyweight-champ-001.jpg

This powerbank supports USB-PD Profile 2.0, with rapid charge capability on varying charging profiles of 5V 2.4A, 9V 2A 12V 1.5 А on its two USB-Type A ports, and a slew of USB-PD charging profiles. The powerbank also works as a USB hub, you can connect USB devices on its USB-Type A ports, shown below working as a USB hub connecting the laptop to a mouse and thumb drive, while charging the same laptop it is connected to via its USB-C PD port.

in-the-footsteps-of-xiaomi-zmi-comes-out-with-a-heavyweight-champ-003.jpg

But since we're interested with how this performs charging-wise with the Switch, we need to take a look at its USB-PD charging capabilities. This analysis is done rather in depth by MyDrivers.com website here, you need to plug that into Google Translate to get a translation of the article. The USB-PD charging profiles we're interested in are:

5V 3A, 9V 3A, 12V 3A, 15V 2.6A which incidentally is what the official Nintendo AC adapter charges your Switch while docked!, 20V 2A which is what you reportedly can trickle-charge a 2016 MacBook Pro (No Touchbar) via USB-C in a pinch.

And now, my charging results. Bear in mind, these are totally unscientific, it's based on how fast I can charge the Switch via the USB-C PD port compared to charging it via the USB-A port delivering a 5V 2.4A charge.

Here are the ingredients:

XDzICnwl.jpg

The Xiaomi ZMI QB820 powerbank, the Nexus 6P, the USB-C to USB-C Apple cable approved by Benson Leung and Nathan K (model number MLL82AM/A (A1739), and the Switch itself.

What I did was discharge the Switch's internal battery, by connecting it to the Nexus 6P. The Switch now acts as a battery for the Nexus, with this notification coming up on the Nexus 6P.

C2qB8Mnl.jpg

The Switch was fresh out of the dock, at 100%. Drained its battery to 90%, but as I unplugged the Nexus 6P away from the Switch, the percentage drops to 89%, so I took it as 11% for the calculation later.

I then ran this scene in Zelda BOTW, with grass billowing in the wind, and Link's constantly beeping health warning and ambient music in the background. The display was set at maximum brightness and audio cranked up to maximum volume as well.

j2cbBMel.jpg

The Switch is then plugged into the USB-C PD port on the ZMI QB820 powerbank, and I started the timer on the Nexus 6P to measure the time it takes for the the powerbank to charge the Switch in this condition (max brightness, max volume, graphics intensive scene in Zelda BOTW with constant health warning beeping and ambient background music) to charge to 100% back again. It completed the full charge at 22 minutes 43 seconds. 11% for 22 minutes, that's roughly 1% every 2 minutes.

From the article posted during the early days of Switch release and powerbank tests done with USB-A ports on regular powerbanks, it was stated that standard 5V 3A powerbank used in this article by ArsTechnica only able to trickle-charge 1% every 6 minutes under unknown play condition (volume and/or brightness at what level, playing what game, and at which section of that game in?). This already beats expectation, but I had to do my own digging to be sure, so I tested it again, draining it again to 89% (for parity), and this time, charging it via the the QB820's 5V 2.4A USB-A port. After the same time (22 minutes 43 seconds) have elapsed, it barely able to charge the Switch up to 91% from its previous 89%, a.k.a 2% within that span of 22 minutes.

Charging the Switch via third party USB-PD device has one quirk. You NEED to turn off your Switch, plug in your USB-C cable to the Switch, turn on your powerbank/external wall charger, before the Switch can negotiate a higher charging draw from the device that is charging it. I had previously plugged the Switch to the QB820 powerbank and the Tronsmart U5P USB-PD wall charger, and I did not get any "charging notification" at all and the Switch eventually slowly drains. I suspect the Switch did not recognise the USB-PD device that is attempting to charge it, and as such, only releases the safest charging profile available (I reckon it's 5V 0.9A charge profile, the default USB3.0 charge via PC USB port), which is too low to be recognised as a charge or fail to charge completely.

These are the chain of devices that I currently have to make my Switch-playing time uninterruptible. Or, you can just carry the official Nintendo AC adapter with you and be done with. :p

mki9Z8Ul.jpg

dNsSBmtl.jpg

111ZxXvl.jpg

6kiEw6Xl.jpg

The QB820, despite it carrying the Xiaomi's name usually associated with being "affordable or cheap", feels the opposite of that. The outer shell is cold to the touch, confirming its metal encapsulating outer shell construction. Has 4 dots on the side to denote charge level left. And with the USB-PD Tronsmart U5P wall charger, I'm charging it rapidly as well. 20,000mAh in the size of a Nexus 6P. The only way this powerbank can be any more perfect is with more charge capacity. The powerbank itself doubles as a USB Hub when connected via USB-C, I don't know what other powerbank with USB-PD capable of charging a low power laptop that can do that!

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any blown Switches or any bodily harm that happens should you choose to emulate my setup here. I wish someone more knowledgable than me, like Benson Leung or Nathan K can verify this setup as safe to use.

Top Bottom