• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerbanks (at least those with USB-C) work with Nintendo Switch

Hattori

Banned
I don't have a RAV but I can recommend the Anker Powercore+ 20100. It can charge the Switch while you play and it's built like a tank.

Shancake

I would recommend RavPower over the Anker. But, don't get me wrong, the Anker is good too. So is Aukey for that matter.

Will both of them charge the Switch at the same rate? In Australia, our options are limited, so I'm forced to use eBay.

I have a 10400mAh power bank with both 1A and 2A outputs. Would that be enough to charge the Switch in an emergency? Not expecting a lot but I wanted to know if that would do.

Also, I only own one USB-C to USB cable and that's the one that came with the Pro Controller. Should I get another one?

VPhys

I just came back from a round trip 13 hour flight with the switch. One thing I can confirm is the macbook USB-C cable is AMAZING at charging the switch combined with the RAV. It definitely makes a huge difference over using a USB-A to C cable. For the record I used a Pecham cable that is no longer available

What's even more impressive than how fast it charges with a battery pack, is how fast it charges with the 85W USB-C macbook charger. Obvisouly a wall charger is not the most portable solution but if a macbook (or equivalent USB-C notebook) is part of your stack I'd strongly advise you bring along that charger if space allows. It really charges the switch amazingly fast which makes sense as those chargers are designed for devices with even bigger batteries.

On a side note. On the plane I had the exit row and the pull out tray table that attaches to the side of your seat definitely comes in the way if you want to play with the controller separately. I didn't get a chance to test it with a conventional seat but I assume it would be easier to set the switch down on a table and use a conventional controller the tray folds down in front of you.

sadromeo

Will both of them charge the Switch at the same rate? In Australia, our options are limited, so I'm forced to use eBay.

Not sure if they will charge at the same rate exactly because I do not have either of those specific models but I am pretty sure they will both can charge the switch.

I have the PD version of the RavPower and it charges pretty fast either non-use or in use (using a USB-C to USB-C cable).

The Anker I have charges fast in non-use but slow in use (using a USB-A to USB-C cable).

They will both probably even charge the switch if playing, but at a slow rate.

sadromeo

I have a 10400mAh power bank with both 1A and 2A outputs. Would that be enough to charge the Switch in an emergency? Not expecting a lot but I wanted to know if that would do.

Also, I only own one USB-C to USB cable and that's the one that came with the Pro Controller. Should I get another one?

The 2A port should charge the Switch (best in non-use) and I would recommend getting a different cable than the one with the pro controller. It is supposed to be able to charge the Switch using a power bank but I am not 100% sure.

Hey guys my powerbank came today. I got the

PD USB Type C Portable Charger RAVPower 26800mAh that was recommended. Fits in my case great and it works well for my phone. With the Switch however, using the C to C connection it doesn't say it's charging. I know it is becauss it went up ever so slightly while playing Zelda. But clearly it's not utilizing it's full capability. Anyone had this problem? Am I doing something wrong.

Also can I use the wall wart that came with this bank to charge my switch on the road?

sadromeo

PD USB Type C Portable Charger RAVPower 26800mAh that was recommended. Fits in my case great and it works well for my phone. With the Switch however, using the C to C connection it doesn't say it's charging. I know it is becauss it went up ever so slightly while playing Zelda. But clearly it's not utilizing it's full capability. Anyone had this problem? Am I doing something wrong.

Also can I use the wall wart that came with this bank to charge my switch on the road?

I believe it was recommended that you use the wall wart that comes with this charger with only the charger and not with the switch.

Genio88

The Tronsmart Presto 10400mah is the one i'm using, gotta say it's pretty cool, i bought it for 19 euro on Amazon.it, it comes with 2 cables, usb-a to usb-c and usb-c to usb-c, it has both a standart usb-a port which outputs up to 12V/1.5A and a usb-c port with in/out function which outputs up to 5V/3A.
I thought i had to use the usb-c port to charge Switch faster, and indeed it works and charges it even when playing, but then i tried from the usb-a port and it charges even faster, so i guess it recognises Switch and output 12V/1.5A which is the same voltage that the Nintendo dock outputs, good stuff, here the amazon.com link if you are into it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KNJR06O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Minsc

Gold Member

Stupid question, but you pushed the button on the power bank immediately before connecting the cable to the Switch? If possible try the cable on a different device and / or a different cable on the Switch. Last thing is you can try to begin the charging with the device in sleep mode to see if that makes a difference, but that charger definitely works with the Switch over USB-C fine (and fast to boot), it's been tested and timed on some google sheets list with a bunch of other chargers as well. It's one of the fastest ones.

Rokuren

Because it is potentially damaging.
Is there an explanation for this?

Some cheap USB C cords improperly implementing the spec and causing issues makes sense. Even then the issue is the cord; you wouldn't want it to charge anything. But what's the issue with the adapter that you'd let it charge the power bank, but wouldn't trust it to charge the switch? I would've thought power negotiation wouldn't be an issue for any reliable device.

Zafir

That's my experience with the same power bank, even after pressing the button on the power bank. I've heard other people say otherwise though.

I don't know if some are faulty or what.

I'm using an Anker type-c to type-c cable with it.

(I don't have any other devices or cables to test it with, so I can't really verify what is causing it)

Any euro gaffer that can recommend a good powerbank available in our region? Seems like the RavPower ones people are recommending here are not available in amazon.es yet 😑

Lach

Oh fuck. Why is USB Power such a big mess!?!?!?

So tomorrow I'll finally get my RAVPower RP-PB059. I noticed it doesn't come with a USB C to C Cable, so I ordered one.

Of course now I learn that not all Cables support USB-PD (at least at these levels).

Salaadin

I didn't know this thread existed. Spent all day researching yesterday and settled on the Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C. Hoping it lives up to the reviews.

sadromeo

Is there an explanation for this?

Some cheap USB C cords improperly implementing the spec and causing issues makes sense. Even then the issue is the cord; you wouldn't want it to charge anything. But what's the issue with the adapter that you'd let it charge the power bank, but wouldn't trust it to charge the switch? I would've thought power negotiation wouldn't be an issue for any reliable device.

This is from someone's spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hEgRYI3NztlKbXeVHRpNJ2DbvkOfeeGjIr95x5jADfQ/edit#gid=0 they had done which includes a google doc link to an explanation:

RAVPower RP-PC018 30W USB-C

Comes with the PB-058 and the PB-059.

Benson and Nathan K. have both tested this wall wart and have determined that it has a bad PDO (Power Delivery Options). It means it's unstable and doesn't always deliver what it should. I've only captured a one-time screenshot of it working with the Switch but I'd shy away from using this at all, if you can.

Here is a Google Doc explaining why not to use this: https://plus.google.com/+DavidFarrell/posts/CFsjZEKZehw

That's my experience with the same power bank, even after pressing the button on the power bank. I've heard other people say otherwise though.

I don't know if some are faulty or what.

I'm using an Anker type-c to type-c cable with it.

(I don't have any other devices or cables to test it with, so I can't really verify what is causing it)

I have to put it into sleep mode, not off or just power button pressed. But sleep mode to get it to charge properly.

Rokuren

This is from someone's spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hEgRYI3NztlKbXeVHRpNJ2DbvkOfeeGjIr95x5jADfQ/edit#gid=0 they had done which includes a google doc link to an explanation:

RAVPower RP-PC018 30W USB-C

Comes with the PB-058 and the PB-059.

Benson and Nathan K. have both tested this wall wart and have determined that it has a bad PDO (Power Delivery Options). It means it's unstable and doesn't always deliver what it should. I've only captured a one-time screenshot of it working with the Switch but I'd shy away from using this at all, if you can.

Here is a Google Doc explaining why not to use this: https://plus.google.com/+DavidFarrell/posts/CFsjZEKZehw

Thanks for posting this.

Oh fuck. Why is USB Power such a big mess!?!?!?

So tomorrow I'll finally get my RAVPower RP-PB059. I noticed it doesn't come with a USB C to C Cable, so I ordered one.

Of course now I learn that not all Cables support USB-PD (at least at these levels).

That's really odd. The larger version comes with that and cables to spare...

Has anyone in the uk bought a power bank from Amazon U.K. and had it not somehow cause their switch to explode? Going away for a week next week so need something to help me play zelda on a plane.

Zafir

I have to put it into sleep mode, not off or just power button pressed. But sleep mode to get it to charge properly.

Oh it charges pretty fast just on the menu too for me.

It's just playing Zelda it charges a lot slower than I expected. For example this spreadsheet mentions 11% in 30mins, and I don't get anywhere near that.

Oh it charges pretty fast just on the menu too for me.

It's just playing Zelda it charges a lot slower than I expected. For example this spreadsheet mentions 11% in 30mins, and I don't get anywhere near that.

I do. But only if I put it into sleep mode, then plug in the battery (which wakes up the console) making sure the green charging indicator pops up. Otherwise it stays white and goes at a slow crawl. During play by doing that I'm able to get pretty fast charge.

KingV

I used a 2A this weekend on a trip, and it will not charge it while playing. However, if you plug it in before your battery gets too low, it will let you play enough to drain the power bank.

That said, I didn't get anywhere near the capacity I expected out of the power bank. I too have a 10400 mah bank and got maybe 6-7 hours total out of the switch with it. My guess is it is calculating its 10,400 mAh at a different voltage than the switch (i.e. Lower)

Zafir

I do. But only if I put it into sleep mode, then plug in the battery (which wakes up the console) making sure the green charging indicator pops up. Otherwise it stays white and goes at a slow crawl. During play by doing that I'm able to get pretty fast charge.

I'll have to try that then. Thanks.

Edit: Yep, I also get the faster charging if I plug it in while in sleep mode first.

How weird.

Zafir

From my reading it has something to do with the firmware on the battery pack. I wonder if it can be updated.

Ah right.

Well to be honest now I know how to get it to charge faster it isn't much of an issue really. Shoving it into sleep mode for a second isn't that annoying or anything.

Rajveer

Neo Member
RAVPower says that their USB-PD battery won't be available until around a month and I need a battery for a holiday next week. What specs should I be looking for to achieve at least a trickle charge when playing Zelda?

mrk8885

Banned
RAVPower says that their USB-PD battery won't be available until around a month and I need a battery for a holiday next week. What specs should I be looking for to achieve at least a trickle charge when playing Zelda?
Just go with the anker. It's great. 20100, USB c , charges while playing. Love it.

I used a 2A this weekend on a trip, and it will not charge it while playing. However, if you plug it in before your battery gets too low, it will let you play enough to drain the power bank.

That said, I didn't get anywhere near the capacity I expected out of the power bank. I too have a 10400 mah bank and got maybe 6-7 hours total out of the switch with it. My guess is it is calculating its 10,400 mAh at a different voltage than the switch (i.e. Lower)

Your usage with an external battery pack sounds about right actually. 10400 mah in a battery pack isn't the same as having a device with an internal 10400 battery.

With an external, you lose some when charging since it takes power to move that power etc.

epicnemesis

I have this one I haven't used it with C to C, but using the cable that came with the pro controller it was able to charge the switch slowly. really really slowly. Like the battery will die on the charger before the switch gets fully charged I estimate if you are playing a 10+ hour marathon session.

Koutsoubas

Anyone knows Samsung EB-PΝ930 10200mAh??
Its the only thing available in Greece. Nothing else ships here for some reason :(

charpunk

I didn't know this thread existed. Spent all day researching yesterday and settled on the Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C. Hoping it lives up to the reviews.

That's the one I picked up before PAX. On the flight back, I spent over 3 hours with my switch plugged into it playing Zelda the entire time, as well as charging two phones. I also charged another phone on the car ride back from the airport and the battery was still had more than half full when I got home.

The QB820, despite it carrying the Xiaomi's name usually associated with being "affordable or cheap", feels the opposite of that. The outer shell is cold to the touch, confirming its metal encapsulating outer shell construction. Has 4 dots on the side to denote charge level left. And with the USB-PD Tronsmart U5P wall charger, I'm charging it rapidly as well. 20,000mAh in the size of a Nexus 6P. The only way this powerbank can be any more perfect is with more charge capacity. The powerbank itself doubles as a USB Hub when connected via USB-C, I don't know what other powerbank with USB-PD capable of charging a low power laptop that can do that!

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any blown Switches or any bodily harm that happens should you choose to emulate my setup here. I wish someone more knowledgable than me, like Benson Leung or Nathan K can verify this setup as safe to use.

I like Xiaomi powerbanks. Where is this currently available?

Anyone knows Samsung EB-PΝ930 10200mAh??
Its the only thing available in Greece. Nothing else ships here for some reason :(

I'm pretty sure amazon and the likes also ship to Greece. Shipping won't be free, but you may just wanna try amazon.de for instance (in the top right it says DE, just hover over that to change the language).

Koutsoubas

I'm pretty sure amazon and the likes also ship to Greece. Shipping won't be free, but you may just wanna try amazon.de for instance (in the top right it says DE, just hover over that to change the language).

No batteries shipping here unfortunately. I cant even order nintendo cases. Somethings up!!

So im thinking the Samsung Powerbank but i havent heard any impressions

Rajveer

Neo Member
Just go with the anker. It's great. 20100, USB c , charges while playing. Love it.

Thanks, looking at the Anker but do you mean the PowerCore or the PowerCore+ version?

EDIT: I think only the PowerCore+ has USB-C so I'll look at that one.

Rajveer

Neo Member
Awesome, thanks. For anyone with the Anker PowerCore+, does the Switch have to be turned off fully before it charges properly, or is only putting it in to sleep mode needed?

mrk8885

Banned
Awesome, thanks. For anyone with the Anker PowerCore+, does the Switch have to be turned off fully before it charges properly, or is only putting it in to sleep mode needed?

Well it'll charge up even if you're playing. So surely sleep mode is fine.

Rajveer

Neo Member
Well it'll charge up even if you're playing. So surely sleep mode is fine.

No I meant to get the higher rate of charge whilst playing, do you have to put it in to sleep mode first, then plug it in, then continue playing? Never mind though, I've gone with the RAVPower model as it's cheaper :)

X-posting this here as may be of interest to some. Keep forgetting there are two similar threads.

Just got a Pro Controller so I figured I'd see how power hungry it is. Nice to have another cable as well for testing.

Everything I threw at it had the exact same result.

5V 0.5A (Closer on average to 5.08V and 0.41A really. So 2 watts.)

So if you are trying to decide between charging your controller with your PD port or something slower just go with the slower one. It won't make a difference and leaves the PD port open for your Switch if needs be. I'm guessing that is why the cable is A-C as well, gives more utlity and C-C isn't needed anyway.

Glix

Cross Posting from another thread:

Picked up a Jackery Titan S from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Qualc...dp/B01CO8LCP2/

Very very pleased for $45. Can fully charge the switch 2 times from zero, with a bunch of charge left over. Charges the Switch in about 3 hours with both the included A->C cable (smartfit port) and with a C->C cable that I picked up yesterday.

I have not tried the cable that came with the pro yet.

I am very afraid to try the quick charging port because of what I have read online.

NEGATIVES -

DOES NOT COME WITH A WALL PLUG. I have been charging it with the included wire going into a BEATS headphones wall plug.

WILL NOT CHARGE ITSELF USING THE SWITCH AC ADAPTER

DOES NOT COME WITH A C->C cable, only A->C and A->mini

beanman25

Need one for a long car ride Saturday. (Wedding). Does best buy carry the any of thw good ones? Id like to in store pick it up tomorrow.

Need one for a long car ride Saturday. (Wedding). Does best buy carry the any of thw good ones? Id like to in store pick it up tomorrow.

Get a car adapter for now. It'll be cheaper and hold you over until better stock and selection of quality power banks are out. The short answer is, no, Best Buy won't carry the ones you want, but they may have the car adapter in stock.

Top Bottom