• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Won't Support 4k BluRay

spectator

You have access to it. I don't follow your statement

I was responding to a poster who equated UHD players to squeezing blood from a stone, as if it's a DOA format with no purpose in the marketplace. Until its performance is superseded by that of another format, it has relevance for that reason alone.

Crayon

I was responding to a poster who equated UHD players to squeezing blood from a stone, as if it's a DOA format with no purpose in the marketplace. Until its performance is superceded by that of another format, it has relevance for that reason alone.

I actually meant the topic itself to be the stone.

Conduit

Banned
What qualifies as big to you? UHD TVs had significant growth over last year. Amazon, Netflix, and Vudu are expanding their UHD content. Consoles are pushing UHD too. UHD Blu rays exceeded their sales expectations and shelf space is increasing at Best Buy, Target, Wal Mart and other places, not remaining static or shrinking. UHD is growing just fine and is anything but nothing or no big deal.

I meant strictly about UHD movies. I want to see where Xbone S pushed UHD movies sales significantly. I said it before - in console gaming UHD is irrelevant, otherwise, Xbone would still selling better than PS4 ( as someone hoped ). Period!

spectator

I said it before - in console gaming UHD is irrelevant, otherwise, Xbone would still selling better than PS4. Period!

It doesn't have to sell enough consoles to determine the sales winner in order to be relevant. If it moves the needle enough to justify the (minimal) cost of its inclusion, I'd say it's fully relevant. I'm a PS4 Pro owner and the lack of UHD drive is the only reason an Xbox is even on my radar right now.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I meant strictly about UHD movies. I want to see where Xbone S pushed UHD movies sales significantly. I said it before - in console gaming UHD is irrelevant, otherwise, Xbone would still selling better than PS4. Period!

Or the PS4 Pro would be selling a lot better.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It was out of stock, isn't it. Maybe because games and not because lack of UHD, hm?

Then Sony didn't have much confidence it would sell well and under produced.

EDIT: it's in stock everywhere near me

Why are apologists talking about mainstream DVD buyers to say that UHD doesn't matter? Are mainstream DVD buyers buying the more expensive, higher fidelity console to begin with? Do they have 4K TVs?

The PS4 Pro isn't for them, it's for the subset of a subset of a subset of enthusiasts that want console video games, want them to run better, and have a 4K TV. Except add another subset for those that bought all that shit for thousands of dollars and somehow don't want to spend $20-30 on discs, ever.

I didn't care about the PS4 Pro when it was announced, and I couldn't have cared less about UHD blu rays at the time either. Cut to months later when I own a Pro, a 4KTV, and am seriously bummed I can't watch Planet Earth II in its ultimate form. These things have a way of catching up with you.

MazeHaze

Banned
It was out of stock, isn't it. Maybe because games and not because lack of UHD, hm?
Even if it was out of stock (it's not out of stock in my area) if you don't know how many units theyre producing/shipping that point doesn't really matter.

Edit: and it seems silly to me to claim uhd blu ray is irrelevant when you have pro owners and prospective buyers in this thread saying it's a feature that they are upset to have missing.

icespide

Banned
Why are apologists talking about mainstream DVD buyers to say that UHD doesn't matter? Are mainstream DVD buyers buying the more expensive, higher fidelity console to begin with? Do they have 4K TVs?

The PS4 Pro isn't for them, it's for the subset of a subset of a subset of enthusiasts that want console video games, want them to run better, and have a 4K TV. Except add another subset for those that bought all that shit for thousands of dollars and somehow don't want to spend $20-30 on discs, ever.

honestly the different arguments in this thread go back and forth between UHD in general to specifically UHD blu-ray to UHD blu-ray relevancy to the masses to UHD relevancy to enthusiasts. add in a dash of troll-ishness and frustration and you get this thread

I'm at a loss at what else there is to discuss at this point

StudioTan

I said it was. What confidence? Sony clearly didn't meant PS4Pro would replace and take over base PS4 in sales.

Clearly, since they skimped on features like a UHD drive.

Conduit

Banned
Even if it was out of stock (it's not out of stock in my area) if you don't know how many units theyre producing/shipping that point doesn't really matter.

Edit: and it seems silly to me to claim uhd blu ray is irrelevant when you have pro owners and prospective buyers in this thread saying it's a feature that they are upset to have missing.

GAF forum is not a measure. UHD in console gaming didn't anything globally for movies. So, yes, it's irrelavant.

MazeHaze

Banned
For me 4k ps4 games would be cool, but not "buy a new ps4 cool" however if the machine could also play uhd blu rays I would have bought a pro day one, for games and movies.

It's not that I hate sony (own every sony console) and it's not that I like movies more than games. It's the fact that if pro had uhd blu ray playback, I could have a console that plays games better and plays movies that take full advantage of my expensive TV. One or the other isn't enough for me to upgrade.

At this rate I'll just wait a year until standalone players drop below 200 and be done with it.

MazeHaze

Banned
GAF forum is not a measure.
Not a measure of what? I don't care about sonys business, or how successful they are. All I can say is that I would have bought a pro with a uhd blu ray drive, and for me and many others the omission of uhd blu ray is disappointing.

Edit : sorry for dp

Edit just saw your edit: who cares if consoles with uhd blu ray sell more movies or not? I'm talking strictly about my own personal experience.

nelchaar

I didn't care about the PS4 Pro when it was announced, and I couldn't have cared less about UHD blu rays at the time either. Cut to months later when I own a Pro, a 4KTV, and am seriously bummed I can't watch Planet Earth II in its ultimate form. These things have a way of catching up with you.

Just had this same realization now. :(

Conduit

Banned
Not a measure of what?

You said it :
"it seems silly to me to claim uhd blu ray is irrelevant when you have pro owners and prospective buyers in this thread saying it's a feature that they are upset to have missing."

As i said, GAF is not a measure to draw some conslusion that UHD is big thing because somebody is upset about lack of UHD in PS4Pro. UHD is irrelevant in console gaming.

MazeHaze

Banned
Just had this same realization now. :(

I think this is a very common theme in this thread.

A bunch of people who don't own nice 4k HDR TVs claiming that 4k blu ray is dumb and they haven't bought a disc in years and streaming is the future, etc.

If you buy one of these expensive as hell new TVs, you'll quickly realize that the only way to actually view content that blows you away and takes advantage of all the bells and whistles is UHD Blu Ray.

This is why people were bummed. None of us are saying Sony is doomed, or that they released a crap product. We're saying they missed a large group of people who might have bought their product, and disappointed some people who did buy their product.

It just seems to me like the pro is marketed to people who own 4k HDR tvs, so to not include the only format that really takes advantage of these displays seems kind of weird, and is just a bummer overall.

If you own a $1000 plus dollar TV, you obviously want the best PQ for games and movies. To say that you should just buy a pro AND a standalone player makes sense, but it's definitely a missing selling point for the system, considering people who own these TVs and are already in the PS4 ecosystem probably would have all gladly upgraded, and instead these people are buying xb1s and standalone players.

Is it a huge market? I honestly don't know or care really, but I would assume that someone who splurged on a really awesome TV would love to have a PS4 pro that plays 4k games AND 4k movies instead of having to purchase two separate devices.

As it stands right now, the pro upgrade isn't worth the 400 dollars to me at all. I just played Horizon in HDR on my og ps4 and it was stunning. If standard blu rays offered HDR I wouldn't care much about UHD blu ray either, but they don't, so the only way to watch non gaming content in HDR is via streaming, with very limited selection and sub par quality.

You said it :
"it seems silly to me to claim uhd blu ray is irrelevant when you have pro owners and prospective buyers in this thread saying it's a feature that they are upset to have missing."

As i said, GAF is not a measure to draw some conslusion that UHD is big thing because somebody is upset about lack of UHD in PS4Pro. UHD is irrelevant in console gaming.
I mean that seems like a stupid argument to me too.

You: It's irrelevant
Me: well it's not irrelevant to me/others in this thread
You: well you don't matter, what really matters is everyone who it's irrelevant to, so it's irrelevant.

Kar L

LOL! Is it? You have a thread "Scorpio will have UHD drive". Instead you bumped this thread with no reason saying Scorpio will have UHD drive. Yes, you trolled back then!
Yes, YOU DID! You have Scorpio thread for that. This thread has nothing to do with Scorpio.

Yes, YOU DID! What, you can't take a punch? If you're happy that Scorpio will have UHD drive and you want something to say about that, YOU HAVE A SCORPIO THREAD FOR THAT. So, bump that thread. Good? Good.

Em....nope. You and similar like you trying to push UHD like next-big thing and because lack of UHD in PS4/Pro hoping that Xbone will turn the tide with that. You should go back to reality and realize UHD is bigfuckingnothing.gif

Ask that yourself first.

Me? I'm just trying to say that UHD isbigfuckingnothing.gif. THAT's A FACT!
You contributing this thread with "Scorpio will have UHD" thing? Now i've heard it all. LOL! But whatever, do what you want. Go ahead.

It's a fact and it's not big as you want it to be and hoping that Xbone will turn the tide with UHD.

It's a fact. UHD is not big thing. Can you show some sales statistics how UHD is big? You won't find any.
I thought that the whole point of this place is that we didn't have to deal with people like this.

Why are people even responding to this person?

StudioTan

Because price point means more. Exactly why the drive was left out. Because money

Price and extra value features like a UHD drive. As it's been said, great move by MS, poor decision by Sony unless you value their bottom line more than getting value for your money.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
pretty sure most new releases aren't available in 4k digitally for a while

Plenty of UHD versions on streaming sites even before the disc versions are in store.
I can't think of any studios that delay a digial version when there is already a disc version.

There just isn't a Planet Earth 2 digital version out. 4K or otherwise.

MazeHaze

Banned
I thought that the whole point of this place is that we didn't have to deal with people like this.

Why are people even responding to this person?

jeez, I didn't even see all of that lol.

I mean you can say UHD isn't the next "big thing" all you want, but the fact of the matter is there is no other medium that even comes close to rivaling UHD blu ray in visual and audio quality.

Next big thing? Too early to tell. But for enthusiasts, it's the ONLY thing.

Kar L

The only reason 4K UHD BD isn't the public standard right now is pricing. The prices that are set by the publishers and distributors. Prices will come down in time, probably starting this year.

Hardly anyone is going to Best Buy on Tuesdays to pick up steelbooks anymore like the Fantastic Beasts for $35, last year's Suicide Squad for $35, nor Jack Reacher or Magnificant Seven for $30-33. The major retailers (Target and Best Buy) are carrying lots of 4K UHD now. Sales for disc media are down from last year. It's up to the publishers to start pricing things where units can be moved. Prices are always high for a year or two with new tech.

Price and extra value features like a UHD drive. As it's been said, great move by MS, poor decision by Sony unless you value their bottom line more than getting value for your money.
Considering that the PS4 still outsold the Xbox One by butt tons... obviously consumers still felt the PS4 was a better value.

StudioTan

Considering that the PS4 still outsold the Xbox One by butt tons... obviously consumers still felt the PS4 was a better value.

Sure, just not the PS4 Pro which is the subject of this thread you're posting in.

The only reason 4K UHD BD isn't the public standard right now is pricing. The prices that are set by the publishers and distributors. Prices will come down in time, probably starting this year.

Hardly anyone is going to Best Buy on Tuesdays to pick up steelbooks anymore like the Fantastic Beasts for $35, last year's Suicide Squad for $35, nor Jack Reacher or Magnificant Seven for $30-33. The major retailers (Target and Best Buy) are carrying lots of 4K UHD now. Sales for disc media are down from last year. It's up to the publishers to start pricing things where units can be moved. Prices are always high for a year or two with new tech.

I have both of those LOL. Fantastic Beasts looks amazing on UHD by the way.

MazeHaze

Banned
Plenty of UHD versions on streaming sites even before the disc versions are in store.

Right, but HDR streaming on new movies is limited to certain TV brands and Dolby Vision, and besides that, why would anyone want to pay 30 dollars to STREAM a 4k movie, defeating the entire purpose of higher quality in the first place. In my experience a 1080p blu ray looks a hell of a lot better than a streamed 4k movie, and is cheaper.

Edit: To be clear, streaming a UHD movie is really not a valid substitute for a UHD blu ray, and is actually inferior to a 1080p blu ray.

Sure, just not the PS4 Pro which is the subject of this thread you're posting in.

The best selling console... doesn't have a UHD BD drive. That's the point. That the majority of consumers, don't care about it.

And that is the debate. Whether or not UHD BD needed to be in the Pro. It didn't because the majority of consumers didn't care and still don't. Whether or not Sony "dropped the ball". They didn't because the majority don't care.

Pennywise

Right, but HDR streaming on new movies is limited to certain TV brands and Dolby Vision, and besides that, why would anyone want to pay 30 dollars to STREAM a 4k movie, defeating the entire purpose of higher quality in the first place. In my experience a 1080p blu ray looks a hell of a lot better than a streamed 4k movie, and is cheaper.
Or Sony could finally include UHD movies in the store that you can buy and download.

Btw your experience is bad or your setup is. 4k stream > 1080p BR.

And why the hell are people still repeating the same arguments that have been part of the discussion 50+ pages ago.

Kar L

As someone who owns two PS4s, the PS4 Pro was a very disappointing upgrade. Sure, anyone buying their first playstation should get the Pro version. But I see no incentive to upgrade. It was a great disappointment that the Pro didn't offer 4K UHD disc playback capability.

I also swore in November last year that Sony would have to respond to this in about one year with yet another upgraded console system, one that plays 4K discs as well as rival the Scorpio. I'm not too worried about it because it's an inevitability. It's just a matter of when.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Edit: To be clear, streaming a UHD movie is really not a valid substitute for a UHD blu ray, and is actually inferior to a 1080p blu ray.

I don't think they're all Dolby Vision, but I know what you mean.
I'd say streamed 4k HDR can compete, I'd say it's case by case depending on the movie. I have a few of those via VUDU and they look fantastic. I certainly didn't pay $30 though, haha. Just picked up cheap UV codes for them.

Anyway, I agree that discs are better. And the Pro should have had a UHD drive.

MazeHaze

Banned
The best selling console... doesn't have a UHD BD drive. That's the point. That the majority of consumers, don't care about it.

And that is the debate. Whether or not UHD BD needed to be in the Pro. It didn't because the majority of consumers didn't care and still don't. Whether or not Sony "dropped the ball". They didn't because the majority don't care.

To be fair, I'd say the majority of consumers don't care about a ps4 pro in general, that system is marketed to the hardcore and those who own 4k HDR displays. You know, the people who spent upwards of a thousand dollars on a TV because they care about picture quality. That's why people are saying they dropped the ball. To argue that someone would buy an expensive ass TV and then ONLY care about PQ in games is ludicrous. Right now, the people who early adopted these nice 4k HDR displays are the enthusiasts, the ones who care about UHD BD as well as 4k Gaming, so to only offer one of those things on your system marketed to enthusiasts seems like a poor decision.

Kar L

For me 4k ps4 games would be cool, but not "buy a new ps4 cool" however if the machine could also play uhd blu rays I would have bought a pro day one, for games and movies.

It's not that I hate sony (own every sony console) and it's not that I like movies more than games. It's the fact that if pro had uhd blu ray playback, I could have a console that plays games better and plays movies that take full advantage of my expensive TV. One or the other isn't enough for me to upgrade.

At this rate I'll just wait a year until standalone players drop below 200 and be done with it.
I agree with almost all of the sentiments you have posted.

Every time I see this subject come up somewhere it's followed by a bunch of blowhards that say "No one buys blu rays lol" just because they don't. However, Sony ignored a measurable chunk of their fanbase by not including 4K UHD disc reading capability on the Pro.

StudioTan

Then I guess the people who are disappointed that the PS4 Pro doesn't have a UHD drive can take solace in the fact that the Sony Corporation is still selling many PS4s. Are you a shareholder by the way?

MazeHaze

Banned
Or Sony could finally include UHD movies in the store that you can buy and download.

Btw your experience is bad or your setup is. 4k stream > 1080p BR.

And why the hell are people still repeating the same arguments that have been part of the discussion 50+ pages ago.

My setup is great. I have an awesome internet connection. It's common knowledge that 1080p BR looks better than a 4k stream due to bitrate, streaming compression and artifacts. Also Dolby Atmos support.

I don't think they're all Dolby Vision, but I know what you mean.
I'd say streamed 4k HDR can compete, I'd say it's case by case depending on the movie. I have a few of those via VUDU and they look fantastic. I certainly didn't pay $30 though, haha. Just picked up cheap UV codes for them.

Anyway, I agree that discs are better. And the Pro should have had a UHD drive.
They are certainly all Dolby Vision, so VUDU 4k HDR is limited to LG and Vizio sets currently, and they also don't even come close to the PQ of a UHD BD.

To be fair, I'd say the majority of consumers don't care about a ps4 pro in general, that system is marketed to the hardcore and those who own 4k HDR displays. You know, the people who spent upwards of a thousand dollars on a TV because they care about picture quality. That's why people are saying they dropped the ball. To argue that someone would buy an expensive ass TV and then ONLY care about PQ in games is ludicrous. Right now, the people who early adopted these nice 4k HDR displays are the enthusiasts, the ones who care about UHD BD as well as 4k Gaming, so to only offer one of those things on your system marketed to enthusiasts seems like a poor decision.

And those same people who spend thousand of dollars aren't going to use a console to play UHD BD.

a small percentage of people will invest in UHD BD. And of that small percentage, a small percentage of those people will choose a game console to play their UHD BD.

And the pro being a enthusiast console is like saying the wrx is an enthusiast car.

Then I guess the people who are disappointed that the PS4 Pro doesn't have a UHD drive can take solace in the fact that the Sony Corporation is still selling many PS4s. Are you a shareholder by the way?

Nope. Simply saying UHD BD is a non issue for most. They don't care.

MazeHaze

Banned
And those same people who spend thousand of dollars aren't going to use a console to play UHD BD.

a small percentage of people will invest in UHD BD. And of that small percentage, a small percentage of those people will choose a game console to play their UHD BD.

And the pro being a enthusiast console is like saying the wrx is an enthusiast car.

I'm one of those people, and I was gonna buy a console to play UHD BD. So were all of these other people in the thread who spent thousands of dollars on TVs and were going to buy a console for UHD BD, and DID buy XB1s for that very reason. Hell go to AVS forums, tons of people who aren't even gamers bought the XB1s because it was the cheapest UHD BD player on the market.

I mean, yeah, I agree that the pro isn't super powerful, but when you release a new version of your console 3 years after launch at the launch price touting it as the 4k gaming experience, it's definitely an enthusiast console. They have a console for non enthusiasts, it's called the ps4 slim.

Top Bottom