• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[April fools] Arika's Street Fighter EX characters return...

I thought a char for a fighting game cost an outrageous amount of money these days, how they can make them with that quality just for an April fools joke?

It's either cancelled models or just something they had sitting around, and they already have the movesets - the animations don't look vastly better than EX3. It wouldn't be too hard to rig up animations and make a "remaster" of EX3 gameplay.

Still a lot of work for a joke though.

Kumubou

This gets even weirder: Supposedly, Arika is going to have a playable version of the game at an event they're running today. Apparently that's what the text at the end of the video was talking about.

082465b6fd.png

(I can't speak for the translation itself, but this is something I've been told by multiple people so there's a decent chance this is actually correct.)

Boy, is Kazunoko in for a surprise. :x

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
looks like the Killer Instinct engine. Also, is this even a Capcom aprils fool?

whoever it is, they can fuck off :(

Alienous

When you're trying to make an April Fools joke and you accidentally make the most compelling fighting game of the decade.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
What.

What.

If this much time and effort went into a straight-up April Fool's joke, Arika is actively evil.

They've always maintained the copyright to their characters, so...

I choose to believe!

Edit: It's probably all about finding a publisher though

kirblar

You guys sure these 3 aren't the upcoming DLC characters for season pass 2?
We're pretty sure Garudo is the 5th shadow. The other three don't line up- one Sillouette has an Iori-esque apron, another has a ridiculously massive upper body, and the final one appears to be a female Pencak Silat practitioner.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
If this is actually fake, it's one of the meanest April Fool's I've ever seen.

The idea is to give people a laugh, Arika, not to raise their hopes and dash them quite expertly.

225px-Tinny_Tim.jpg

Wallach

I feel like I'm living in bizarro world with people saying this actually looks good

the animation in particular really sells the idea this is not a real game

Vespa

It's not even just the characters but the backgrounds as well, a lot of effort went into this.

The battle-ravaged rooftop stage is gorgeous.

It's either cancelled models or just something they had sitting around, and they already have the movesets - the animations don't look vastly better than EX3. It wouldn't be too hard to rig up animations and make a "remaster" of EX3 gameplay.

Still a lot of work for a joke though.

The way the character slides whilst their walk animation is starting from an interruption/neutral is highly reminiscent of the EX series.

NeonZ

I feel like I'm living in bizarro world with people saying this actually looks good

I think the attacks look good, but every time they turn around or move/are thrown in 3d space it seems fairly stiff. For a moment I actually thought this was done in the Street Fighter engine with the 3d bits added just for this video, but that's clearly wrong too.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Wow, for a small company, they sure must have sunk a bunch of resources for an extremely mean spirit April fools joke. 🙄

Degen

If it's not real now, it was definitely real at some point.

Just get a Kickstarter. It's been like 20 years.

As someone who can remember all of Doctrine Dark, Vulcano Rosso, Skullomania and Kairi's movesets and managed to beat Super Final Ultimate Stupid Fucking Impossible Bison without Ryu's cheating Super Shoryuken this actually physically hurt me.

This is totally happening. Just release with 8 characters, perfect the gameplay. Release seasonal character updates ala Killer Instinct. Add in SF if the relationship and business works out. Watch the cash flow.

This gets even weirder: Supposedly, Arika is going to have a playable version of the game at an event they're running today. Apparently that's what the text at the end of the video was talking about.

(I can't speak for the translation itself, but this is something I've been told by multiple people so there's a decent chance this is actually correct.)

Boy, is Kazunoko in for a surprise. :x

Not going to lie... If this is an attempt to launch a Kickstart campaign, I'm down if ARIKA can get Ayako Saso to do the soundtrack again, and a Switch version on the docket... But we'll see.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I agree with you. People love to cream themselves over the games they imagine in their heads.

*sees one gif from canceled game*
"Omfg this would be GOTY why are companies so stupid!?"

Neff

I like it. It's sharp and snappy, like fighting games should be. Capcom's recent fighting games often feel like they've been slowed down slightly to better show off their (admittedly amazing) animation, and the gameplay suffers for it imo.

I agree with you. People love to cream themselves over the games they imagine in their heads.

*sees one gif from canceled game*
"Omfg this would be GOTY why are companies so stupid!?"

People definitely let their estimation inflate when it comes to forbidden fruit, that's true of life generally, but I think this looks legitimately amazing.

Eolz

They did something similar with 3DS. They seem to test development on new systems with SF EX gameplay.

Would be interesting if it was on Switch ahah.
This prototype is definitely made under UE4, and they have a pretty long history together...

Kumubou

Not going to lie... If this is an attempt to launch a Kickstart campaign, I'm down if ARIKA can get Ayako Saso to do the soundtrack again, and a Switch version on the docket... But we'll see.

It seems like Mihara from Arika tried to clarify what this is:

(This is a rather loose translation I got from someone else, so there may be something that got missed.)

"1. the exhibition is real
2. the game shown in the video is in fact playable
3. the fact that we hid that this was going to be the game played is the joke

Now we're concerned that no one is going to show up because too many people think this a fake event"

So apparently this is actually something they're working on? Or at least trying to convince someone to have them work on? Who knows.

Top Bottom