• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot (PS4) looks N'sanely washed out?

NahaNago

osTBaXo.jpg

That looks pretty good. All they need to do now is make some of those rock structures have a weathered or overgrown with plants look.

BigEmil

This channel uploaded PS4 Pro Crash gameplay today and it looks like the later builds as it looks more gritty and less washed out colours more like the original aesthetics and good visuals changes etc, they also uploaded some Wipeout gameplay too etc:

https://youtu.be/_UqhVDAzdzg

Looking better than ever!

This channel uploaded PS4 Pro Crash gameplay today and it looks like the later builds as it looks more gritty and less washed out colours more like the original aesthetica and good visuals changes etc, they also uploaded some Wipeout gameplay today and others too:

Definitely looking a bit better. There's a weird greenish tint to some of those jungle shots though.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The Crash remasters/remakes seem to be in really good hands at Vicarious Visions.

Hopefully this sells amazingly well and we see a Spyro the Dragon PS1 collection.

Timu

This channel uploaded PS4 Pro Crash gameplay today and it looks like the later builds as it looks more gritty and less washed out colours more like the original aesthetica and good visuals changes etc, they also uploaded some Wipeout gameplay too etc:

It really does look better now, perfect even.

The Crash remasters/remakes seem to be in really good hands at Vicarious Visions.

Hopefully this sells amazingly well and we see a Spyro the Dragon PS1 collection.
I would so want a Spyro PS1 HD Remaster Collection, hell I would want that even more than this(and I really want this Crash collection a lot as well).

Roo

Want to take this opportunity to share this as well.

It's an animated theme for PS4.

We can see more of Sunset Vista plus a snippet of the song.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iv5_wGmFZoE

Im not completely sold on the song.
It's missing a lot of instruments and notes.
Not to mention the top section of the level is missing literally every stone detail from the original game (even for this game' standards)
So hopefully it's still unfinished.

BIOhazardous

Neo Member
I'm afraid they went overboard with this warmer filter in the PAX build =/

The blacks look crushed in many parts of the jungle and heavy machinery levels.

VeeP

The new pics look great. I had some Best Buy credit expiring and just preordered the game. Can't wait. :)

Man I feel like some of you won't be happy no matter what they do with the colors.
Now if only they made the multi wumpa boxes be 5 instead of 10 jumps like in Warped. But can't be too mad for the sake of being faithful to the originals I suppose.
Yep me too. It sucked to have to sit and bounce for so long, and is a much needed QoL improvement Crash 1 could use too.

PaulloDEC

I'm afraid they went overboard with this warmer filter in the PAX build =/

The blacks look crushed in many parts of the jungle and heavy machinery levels.

At the risk of being impossible to please, I think they kinda did, though the added contrast is an even bigger issue for me. Take a look at these two comparison from the link upthread:

Look at the areas to the far left and right of both versions - there's parts that are now pitch-black that really ought not to be.

As a reminder of what the original looked like, here's a couple of screens:

It's less blue than the old N.Sane footage, but much less red than the new. It also has much darker areas of black than the old N.Sane footage, but it doesn't crush those areas into nothingness like the new.

Anyway, there's still a couple of months til launch; they've got time to sort this. I'm glad they're working on it.

Whales

Banned
The new screenshots look a lot better

I don't really see the ''piss'' filter... It's really not that bad at all.

Want to take this opportunity to share this as well.

It's an animated theme for PS4.

We can see more of Sunset Vista plus a snippet of the song.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iv5_wGmFZoE

Im not completely sold on the song.
It's missing a lot of instruments and notes.
Not to mention the top section of the level is missing literally every stone detail from the original game (even for this game' standards)
So hopefully it's still unfinished.
I agree it's missing some bits, but overall it's fucking incredible sounding. Can't wait to listen on my surround. Might need to pick up the remastered soundtrack.

Croash

Really happy that the team is tweaking things.

It might still change again before release, but that first gameplay trailer looked way too clean for my tastes so at least there's hope they'll figure it out.

That's why I told myself I wouldn't watch any Crash 2/3 gameplay, which I haven't, to not feel any misplaced disappointment before the final product is ready to be judged.

Seeing Crash 1 looking closer to the original's ambiance is great! Might be a bit overdone at the moment, very dark in some spots, but we're here to provide feedback, aren't we? Here's to hoping they please most of the fans.

Hype hype hype :3

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
At the risk of being impossible to please, I think they kinda did, though the added contrast is an even bigger issue for me. Take a look at these two comparison from the link upthread:

Look at the areas to the far left and right of both versions - there's parts that are now pitch-black that really ought not to be.

As a reminder of what the original looked like, here's a couple of screens:

It's less blue than the old N.Sane footage, but much less red than the new. It also has much darker areas of black than the old N.Sane footage, but it doesn't crush those areas into nothingness like the new.

Anyway, there's still a couple of months til launch; they've got time to sort this. I'm glad they're working on it.

Yeah, this is what I'm seeing, along with too much yellow (hence piss-filter). The original colors look like a blend of the first reveal footage and this new warmer look. I get that it's much harder to tweak assets individually though.

PaulloDEC

It's not that dark, I just took screenshots in this thread and it looks a bit lighter than that.

I just took some grabs from the most authentic-looking youtube video I could find, but you may be right. I might grab my Vita out and take some snaps of my own. EDIT: Apparently you can't screenshot PS1 games on the Vita? Bummer.

The new screenshots look a lot better

I don't really see the ''piss'' filter... It's really not that bad at all.

I wouldn't call it a piss filter, but they've definitely pumped up the reds and greens and tweaked the contrast along these lines:

colours5wsfu.gif

Timu

I just took some grabs from the most authentic-looking youtube video I could find, but you may be right. I might grab my Vita out and take some snaps of my own. EDIT: Apparently you can't screenshot PS1 games on the Vita? Bummer.
Here's a screen I took.

amarec20170401-1459094kugh.png

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees the excess of yellow...

Or should we call it orange crush?

Dr. Letz Shake

Neo Member
the image comparison used in the first post is the exact opposite of what they stated. I haven't played the original in a few years but, if you are correct, that image isn't a very good comparison. It looks like Crash is in a cave. It might be a better idea to wait until the game is on ones own television/monitor to worry about the colors. At least, that's what I do.

BigEmil

I went and grabbed some (emulated) screenshots from the original and tossed them in with the comparisons from upthread:
I like how they also redid some of the textures like the walls etc for that more grimier look more reminiscent to how the original is going for

I frankly don't care about constrast and detail being slightly off; I'm happy for Vicarious to do what they think is best for this title. I think some of you are being a bit too picky

PaulloDEC

Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees the excess of yellow...

Or should we call it orange crush?

I had a quick go at undoing the colour-correction so we could see what the textures underneath actually looked like. Obviously I can't fix the black crush, but it still reveals some interesting things:

I was a little surprised to see that the stone-work on the steps is actually a pretty accurate blue-green under the filters.

I like how they also redid some of the textures like the walls etc for that more grimier look more reminiscent to how the original is going for

Yup, I'm liking the updated textures. The originals were a little too clean, but the new ones seem pretty authentic to the original game.

I frankly don't care about constrast and detail being slightly off; I'm happy for Vicarious to do what they think is best for this title. I think some of you are being a bit too picky

Yeah, probably. We're fans though, it's what we do. So long as we aren't being unpleasant about it, I don't see an issue.

Top Bottom