• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot (PS4) looks N'sanely washed out?

pixelation

That's fucking rambling bro.

Those posts prove shit. Quick Google seach shows the caputures are all over the place.

Plus the improvement (???) Sucks.

What rambling?, i take it you have played the OG?, can you tell me with a straight face that the older version didn't look more colorful and with higher contrast?

What rambling?, i take it you have played the OG?, can you tell me with a straight face that the older version didn't look more colorful and with higher contrast?

I can tell you with a straight face you don't know a thing about color.

That is all.

I'm being mean though. Sorry. You see what you see....Maybe your eyes are just broken?

this "issue" (if you can call it that) has been addressed already

069a05b5b5.png

C77DZ49W0AAbTl0.jpg

bdf554e080.png

Every time they show the game, the floor build at the shows is even usually clearly ahead of the b-roll footage/screenshots in terms of development. VV work fast and efficiently.

Every time they show the game, the floor build at the shows is even usually clearly ahead of the b-roll footage/screenshots in terms of development. VV work fast and efficiently.

let's hope so, textures as well..

Yup. The updated picture doesn't look washed out at all.

Those differences look more like camera exposure issues caused by differnt ambient lights in the environment of each shot.

I guess we'll see in a few months.

They remind me of shitty screenshots from game magazines back in the day :'|

pixelation

I can tell you with a straight face you don't know a thing about color.

That is all.

I'm being mean though. Sorry. You see what you see....Maybe your eyes are just broken?
Yeah... nope, at least in the initial showings the game surely lacked color.

Thank you, and yes that looks MUCH improved. Now i am happy and hopeful.

Do you play on full RGB range with your PS4 or is it set to limited?

This setting has always made a high difference for me, not just on my setup but on several more at my friends places.

Locuza

[...]
!!!

It looks so much better, hopefully they also addressed the weak sound design.

Washed out?? No way. Looks fine. Besides, how do you think it would look on your setup? That's what I ask myself when I see shit that looks washed out.

Malcolm9

Isn't it more down to the tv settings these are taken from? It's amazing how many people think "shop pop" mode is the best setting along with Vivid/Live Colour on.

I can't remember Crash looking that dark on PS1 and the picture on the right is not washed out, just brighter.

Thank you. Yes, I agree. It's so washed out and bright looking. I know that won't change though, so I'm just going to accept it.

Well blow me down.

PaulloDEC

Oh wow, I hadn't seen these comparisons. Hard to be sure of exactly what's changed given the off-screen nature of the shots, but the textures certainly seem darker and grimier, which is exactly what a lot of us were hoping for.

Talha

They have a lot of time till the release date so obviously they can still add more textures and make the colours more true to the original

ZeoVGM

Banned

Holy crap, that's awesome. Had no idea they fixed that issue.

pixelation

Oh wow, I hadn't seen these comparisons. Hard to be sure of exactly what's changed given the off-screen nature of the shots, but the textures certainly seem darker and grimier, which is exactly what a lot of us were hoping for.
Yes, it's amazing how much better it looks... wish i could see direct feed gameplay of it.
What kind of shady ass manipulation did you do to the pic in the op the game is not that dark got to be crazy lol
Not my picture i think i said that already and if i didn't well... not my pic.

Glad my nostalgia glasses didn't survive these long years because this remaster(whatever it is) looks leagues better to me

It's because it does, it's way more pleasing to the eyes, way more easy for the eyes as well. Easier to pick apart the environment to see what you're actually looking at. If people want more intense colors, you can easily adjust the color settings on their TVs =P

Do you play on full RGB range with your PS4 or is it set to limited?

This setting has always made a high difference for me, not just on my setup but on several more at my friends places.

The difference between limited and full are very minimal if your TV settings are correct for each. If you're seeing a drastic difference you're either crushing your blacks/losing significant detail, or your original settings were incorrect. I'd check again to make sure your settings are indeed correct.

Roo

Yeah, they definitely have improved the way N.Sane Beach looked since we first saw it back in December.

Some of you might think "it's off-screen footage, not really representative of how much improvement has been made"
While that holds some true, you can tell from this video that Hang Eight (the newest footage we have from the game) looks almost the same as the direct feed footage we got from Activision around the same time.

You can't say the same about N.Sanity Beach. which had mostly predominant blue stone textures.
Now it looks more in line to the original game with a brown/red tint to it.

Yes, it's amazing how much better it looks... wish i could see direct feed gameplay of it.

Not my picture i think i said that already and if i didn't well... not my pic.
Not gonna fucking do the research for you verify yourself if the pic even is accurate

Kids these days so reactionary newsflash what you found as new probably isn't and is also probably wrong assume that first until you prove right

pixelation

Not gonna fucking do the research for you verify yourself if the pic even is accurate

Kids these days so reactionary newsflash what you found as new probably isn't and is also probably wrong assume that first until you prove right

What is it with some posters here with some really shitty attitudes? geez, it's funny and sad... but mostly sad.

Yeah, they definitely have improved the way N.Sane Beach looked since we first saw it back in December.

Some of you might think "it's off-screen footage, not really representative of how much improvement has been made"
While that holds some true, you can tell from this video that Hang Eight (the newest footage we have from the game) looks almost the same as the direct feed footage we got from Activision around the same time.

You can't say the same about N.Sanity Beach. which had mostly predominant blue stone textures.

It's always so hard to tell if it's the way the camera/camera phone is adjusting or interpreting picture or if it's the actual game when you take an off-screen shot like this, but just off of instant base reaction, it looks better here than in the reveal videos I've seen.

Overall I agree with the OP in that most footage shown of the game looks more washed out than I ever associated with the Crash series. While the first game had some too harsh and dark edges here and there, overall the series had a bold color palette in the way that 90's games did. Basically they took the primary colors and went deep with them, didn't vary too heavily from their core hex values to provide the brightest and deepest primary colors they could with the systems of their choice.

This is something I need this remake to nail. The Crash games, especially Crash 2, hold a huge fucking place in my heart, and a lot of that has to do with the atmosphere the graphics portrayed, which was one of a deceivingly detailed and richly colorful nature.

nah bruh, there's a clear difference in the textures

5b2ba2dc50.png

There may be a difference but I seriously can't see what they look like here. The picture is not only low rez but very blurry. You honestly can't make out what the game really looks like here. Even the girl is blurry in this photo man.

This is a bit silly if you want to use this photo.

Will wait and see how it comes out but feel it needs another full year to really get the job done. Hope they flaten out the textures on the character models.

hatchx

Banned
If a game ever comes out with an intentionally flat, washed out look, so help me God, this forum will destroy it.

OP, do you have some sort of washed out colors kink? What's with your obsession? The game looks beautiful.

Don't we feel this game should have had a bigger push though for as popular as they were/are on psn?

The game does not look nearly as polished or impressive as the last Ratchet game for example.

Why didn't this game get better treatment to be the king of visuals again? The camera is locked on rails, no reason why it can't push a lot more.

pixelation

LMAO! Again? What's your obsession with everything being washed out? 🤣
I had not seen the PAX footage and it looks MUCH improved blurry or not. The colors are more vibrant and the textures were also improved because before it almost looked like the textures weren't quite there. And well i am a graphics whore... :p
OP, do you have some sort of washed out colors kink? What's with your obsession? The game looks beautiful.
Nah... i just like beautiful games, and i feel like games that have washed out color palettes are self-sabotaging themselves. That said the developers of this game seem to have either realized/listened to reactions of the people/press and are improving the presentation which i VERY much welcome.

PaulloDEC

There may be a difference but I seriously can't see what they look like here. The picture is not only low rez but very blurry. You honestly can't make out what the game really looks like here. Even the girl is blurry in this photo man.

This is a bit silly if you want to use this photo.

Here it is side-by-side with direct-feed:

Being off-screen can account for a lot, but those stone textures look dramatically different to me. Here's another comparison I did earlier in the week:

Top-left is direct feed, top-right is off-screen of the PAX build and bottom right is the direct-feed footage colour-tweaked to try to match the PAX footage.

Bottom left is a closeup of one part of the stone textures; it looks to me like those green mossy blotches are entirely gone. YMMV.

Texture look seems more or less the same, just a color change from what I can gather.

The highlights look to be brightened up a bit and possible extension or change to shadows under areas perhaps.

The green area may have some changes but it isn't a different texture style, more or less the same style which is what many had issues with from the old crash to this one. Some people obviously wont mind it but I am one that still feels the style is off from the ot. And I also assume the texture was changed there cause of the color texture change there, texture style is still the same which is expected with the game not having too long to go. At least the color changes are better.

PaulloDEC

Texture look seems more or less the same, just a color change from what I can gather.

The highlights look to be brightened up a bit and possible extension or change to shadows under areas perhaps.

The green area may have some changes but it isn't a different texture style, more or less the same style which is what many had issues with from the old crash to this one. Some people obviously wont mind it but I am one that still feels the style is off from the ot. And I also assume the texture was changed there cause of the color texture change there, texture style is still the same which is expected with the game not having too long to go. At least the color changes are better.

I mean, it certainly isn't a dramatic shift stylistically, but I for one never really hoped for that. My issue was that the stone textures were too bright and too clean, and these changes look to have dealt with that; pale greens have shifted to tans, and clean grey stone has become dirty and brown.

The look is certainly different to classic Crash, but I don't think a 1:1 translation was ever going to be possible.

Roo

Don't we feel this game should have had a bigger push though for as popular as they were/are on psn?

The game does not look nearly as polished or impressive as the last Ratchet game for example.

Why didn't this game get better treatment to be the king of visuals again? The camera is locked on rails, no reason why it can't push a lot more.

They're still 3 months away from release. There's really no reason to push it hard right now.
Not to mention the small videos we have gotten so far (3 full stages + 1-2 second clips from others) have millions of views across all the videos out there. Awareness and hype are definitely there.

As for the camera comment, I don't even know what are you trying to get at. They won't mess with it and the core experience of the original games.

SNURB

You're really grasping for straws, huh?

Top Bottom