• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces PS3 Firmware 3.50 (3D Blu-Ray movie support)

Valkyr Junkie said:
A lot of the big name 3D titles coming to BD will only be available as a bundle with certain manufacturer's 3DTVs for a fairly extended period of time.

ok, thanks. But after that period of time we will be able to play the movies on all sets? That's weird....so they will actually be different versions only playable on certain sets or something.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Galvanise_ said:
This should be the firmware with MUBI and ITVplayer in for EU guys right?
Yeah, the blog said October so this is probably the firmware that adds it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MikeE21286 said:
explain or link please? I haven't heard about this and I'm gonna be buying a 3dtv in the near future

want to watch Avatar? Buy a Panasonic TV and get it bundled for free - exclusively. Already have a Panasonic TV? Tough shit, Panasonic hates you too.

Want to watch How to Train your Dragon? Buy a Samsung. Bolt, Alice in Wonderland? buy a Sony.

Basically everyone is buying up exclusivity for titles in an attempt to sway people to buy their TV/bluray player/glasses pack. Result being only Sony titles (Monster House and Cloudy....meatballs) are actually available to buy.

JB1981

mrklaw said:
want to watch Avatar? Buy a Panasonic TV and get it bundled for free - exclusively. Already have a Panasonic TV? Tough shit, Panasonic hates you too.

Want to watch How to Train your Dragon? Buy a Samsung. Bolt, Alice in Wonderland? buy a Sony.

Basically everyone is buying up exclusivity for titles in an attempt to sway people to buy their TV/bluray player/glasses pack. Result being only Sony titles (Monster House and Cloudy....meatballs) are actually available to buy.

Ha Ha! That is abusrd, omg!

Mad_Ban said:
So an update that is useless to me because I am neither American, nor do I have a HDTV. :/

That must hurt. I couldn't imagine playing my 360/PS3 games on an SDTV. When I got my HDTV a couple years ago it seemed to me THAT'S when the "next gen" started.

I'm stoked about Netflix. With Reach my 360 is on too much as it is and having disc-less Netflix on the PS3 would be perfect as I think it's the way better media center. Although I don't really dig the Netflix interface ... but that will just take some getting use to.

mrklaw said:

Are you serious? That's actually pretty shitty and besides the glasses is making me hate this 3D push even more.

MikeE21286 said:
ok, thanks. But after that period of time we will be able to play the movies on all sets? That's weird....so they will actually be different versions only playable on certain sets or something.

Nah, the disks will be universal, you just won't be able to obtain them any other way initially. Reports are that these exclusivity periods are "surprisingly lengthy."

They said 3D would be possible for photos this year as well.

Turns out it (well, the basis) was already implemented in 3.40 and it's now available via a XMB app.

"PlayMemories" is a free download, currently only available in the jp and asia stores but it's already in english.

it expands the photo viewing capabilities on the PS3 to:

- view 3D photos
- view Multiangle photos

This is the online manual which basically shows what you can do with it:
http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/disoft/int/playmemories/3d.html

Youtube is supposed to become available in 3D on the PS3 as well, maybe that's connected to the web browser update.

flyinpiranha said:
Are you serious? That's actually pretty shitty and besides the glasses is making me hate this 3D push even more.
he's very serious. and yes, 3DTVs are about to get their 3rd strike on America's Got Talent.

SolidusDave said:

Turns out it (well, the basis) was already implemented in 3.40 and it's now available via a XMB app.

"PlayMemories" is a free download, currently only available in the jp and asia stores but it's already in english.

- view 3D photos
- view Multiangle photos

Youtube is supposed to become available in 3D on the PS3 as well, maybe that's connected to the web browser update.

Is it difficult to find on the PSN store? Browsing that thing is a nightmare.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Is it difficult to find on the PSN store? Browsing that thing is a nightmare.

In the HK store (should apply to all Asia Stores) it's called "PlayMemories" and is one of the latest downloads (upper right corner has a chronological ordered list for that).

In the JP store it has a japanese name but you should be able to recognize it ("icon" is that of a PS3 game/demo), it's 184 MB I think.
The latest downloads in the JP store can be found in the second selection from above.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Snuggler said:
XMB Netflix would be so nice. It runs so damn slow compared to the 360 version.
I just hope it's not only for the premium people.
Least it's stable and doesn't induce motion sickness while browsing titles. Netflix on my 360 usually chokes on any movies I try to run. "Connection speed has changed, rebuffering. Connection has slowed, rebuffering. Connection speed has changed rebuffering. Connection too slow can't continue payback."

Vs my PS3's Netflix where none of that crap happens.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Freshmaker said:
Least it's stable and doesn't induce motion sickness while browsing titles. Netflix on my 360 usually chokes on any movies I try to run. "Connection speed has changed, rebuffering. Connection has slowed, rebuffering. Connection speed has changed rebuffering. Connection too slow can't continue payback."

Vs my PS3's Netflix where none of that crap happens.

Yeah, that's the one thing PS3 Netflix does better with - what you mentioned. It's very annoying, but it only happens occasionally for me. The PS3 version runs much slower, rewinding and fast forwarding are pretty much useless and browsing the queue is a lot slower. Also, the video quality is better on 360 when I'm not having connection problems. Plus, having to put in the disc every time is a minor annoyance.

If PS3 XMB Netflix is the best of both worlds, it'll be my go-to destination for Netflix streaming.

Killthee

MrPliskin said:
I'm really not too sure about the Netflix App. I think Sony (or Netflix) would have said or leaked something by now.
It's definitely coming before the 22nd of October. Worst case scenario, they don't launch it with the firmware and instead release it on the 19th of Oct. We'll know for sure on Monday whether or not it's coming next week :D
Majine said:
Eh? Vidzone never required a firmware, did it?
You're right, but they have a tendency of launching these apps around firmware releases so it wouldn't surprise me if they launched it with the firmware. Netflix for N.A., MUBI for E.U., ITV for U.K.

Believe.

Mithos

flyinpiranha said:
That must hurt. I couldn't imagine playing my 360/PS3 games on an SDTV. When I got my HDTV a couple years ago it seemed to me THAT'S when the "next gen" started.

Not everyone have a crap CRT SDTV, mine can take 720p, 1080i on the HDMI input (Philips 32PW9551), sure it do not display native 720p or 1080i on the screen but the picture quality is very good, actually I prefer how the picture looks when running my PS3 on it compared to when I plugin my PS3 on a HDTV.

Killthee said:
You're right, but they have a tendency of launching these apps around firmware releases so it wouldn't surprise me if they launched it with the firmware. Netflix for N.A., MUBI for E.U., ITV for U.K.

Believe.

Sometimes they need to integrate stuff in the firmware so that apps like Vidzone can use specific features.
MUBI will probably also be a Store download and will be released when the service and/or software is ready, more or less independent from upcoming firmwares.
Stuff like ITV usually sleeps in the firmware and pops up in the XMB once the service is ready (it's just a web link anyway).

Withnail

H_Prestige said:
Does ps3 even have enough RAM to run Chrome?

Maybe with 1 tab and no extensions. But then I don't really see the point. :lol

A new custom browser based on Webkit is probably the best we can hope for.

Neil

Erm, silly question here...

I own Final Destination 4 on Blu-Ray (awful film, I know) and I have watched it on the PS3, and it seemed to be sort of 3D when you use the glasses it comes with. Is this update going to change the way it plays the Blu-Ray?

spwolf

Neil said:
Erm, silly question here...

I own Final Destination 4 on Blu-Ray (awful film, I know) and I have watched it on the PS3, and it seemed to be sort of 3D when you use the glasses it comes with. Is this update going to change the way it plays the Blu-Ray?

nope

mrklaw

MrArseFace
SolidusDave said:

- view 3D photos
- view Multiangle photos

hmm, I guess thats designed to work with the NEX-3/5 which has 3D panorama sweep. Wonder if it also works with .mpo files like from the fuji W1/W3?

Killthee said:
Originally Posted by Eric Lempel // VP, Network Operations Americas:

The damn Kevin Butler ads make me laught each time that I see any declaration of a real VP of Sony.

I'm not able to know if it's a real or fake VP.

shwimpy

What functionality do you guys want in an upgraded browser? I only use the browser for justin.tv streams (which work great on the current browser) so anything more is just gravy.

shwimpy said:
What functionality do you guys want in an upgraded browser? I only use the browser for justin.tv streams (which work great on the current browser) so anything more is just gravy.

HTML5 and Flash 10 for starters.

Been waiting for XMB Netflix, didn't some source say October a few months back?

Can't wait since I haven't watched a real movie in so long. Then again it would only hurt my gaming backlog, sitting there wasting time watching when I could be playing. :lol

Killthee

jetsetfluken said:
Been waiting for XMB Netflix, didn't some source say October a few months back?

Can't wait since I haven't watched a real movie in so long. Then again it would only hurt my gaming backlog, sitting there wasting time watching when I could be playing. :lol
He said before the Q3 Earnings Call, so it should release sometime between now and the 19th of Oct (last Store update before the call).

Doctor_No

H_Prestige said:
Does ps3 even have enough RAM to run Chrome?

Chrome is based on Webkit, as is Safari and the Steam Client. Its OSS so theoretically Sony could adapt it to the PS3 and Webkit already runs on portable devices like the iPhone and Android devices.

Currently the PS3 uses an ancient version of the Netfront browser, a more likely scenario is that they'll update the Netfront browser to 4.0, which is suppose to be 20x faster then the older version and supports HTML5. I believe the PSN store is also using browser components so an updated browser should improve performance.

Gouty said:
I wonder how Sony got around the whole HDMI 1.4 thing.

HDMI 1.3 increased bandwidth to 340Mhz/10.2 Gbps, which hasn't been raised with HDMI 1.4. So while the PS3 can't add HDMI 1.4 features like Ethernet-channel over HDMI, it can add 3D with the available bandwidth.

thcsquad

shwimpy said:

Grooveshark.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Here is the change list

-3D BluRay Support
-Move can be used as web browser cursor.
-Users reports can be sent from PS3 through the 'Friends' tab.
-3D notice screen for 3D enabled games.
-You can access to your Facebook profile
-Better description of the 14 most common errors.
-PSN+ Store updated.
-New Qriocity icon in the Music section. Service still unavailable.

Mad props to TTP!

TTP said:
So "navegador" means web browser not the xmb?
Yup.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Fersis said:
Here is the change list

-3D BluRay Support
-Can report people from your friend list.
-PSN+ Store updated.

So "navegador" means web browser not the xmb?

And does this mean a new interface for the Store?
"Interfaz de usuario para PlayStation Plus en PlayStation Store actualizada."

Fersis said:
Here is the change list

-3D BluRay Support
-Move can be used to control the web browser cursor
Well, that's sort of unexciting. I hope the browser was updated with more than just that.

Better description of errors is overdue, though, and that'll actually be pretty nice if and when they do occur.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
badcrumble said:
Well, that's sort of unexciting. I hope the browser was updated with more than just that.

Better description of errors is overdue, though, and that'll actually be pretty nice if and when they do occur.
BUT YOU CAN CHECK YOUR FACEBOOK PROFILE! OMG!!!

Also in before:
1) Another update!!??
2) It takes an hour to update here!!!! Damn you SONY!
3) It takes 5' here buddy.
4) Lets look hidden features!
5) ZOMG PRINTER SUPPORT!
6) My PS3 doesnt work after update.

Fersis said:
Here is the change list

-3D BluRay Support
-PSN+ Store updated.
-New Qriocity icon in the Music section. Service still unavailable.

Mad props to TTP!

Yup.

That alone is worth the update.

Top Bottom