• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New look for PS5 console coming this holiday season

mansoor1980

Gold Member

pill.jpg

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I don't know why this is surprising (or even a thing). These companies do things like these specifically to make money from selling accessories. Unless people really believe that an Apple USB C cable should cost $30.

But at the end of the day, this is a non-issue, the horizontal stand may be necessary, which is why it comes in the box/as part of the console, but I think everyone by now should know that the vertical stand has never really been necessary. You don't need it to stand your PS5 up vertically, so to me, it makes sense that it's something they sell separately. And I am 100% certain there would be $5 alternatives on Amazon within a month after this thing hits the market.

And I find people have this habit of doing things like say, oh this just costs $2 to make so they should have bunded it and whatnot... but with console design, every single cent literally counts. That $2, could be the difference between a 825GB and 1TB SSD.

True but it's design is very much centered around it being vertical. It's always advertised as being in the vertical position.

Gambit2483

This is...not for the ones that already have a PS5. There's "only" 40 something million PS5 users. This is for the ones that are buying next and mostly for Sony since production costs will decrease.

The slim versions never have the current users as the main target. This is a weird comment to make.

The Pro next year is for us though...
And it's pointless for the new users since the digital now costs more and doesn't include a stand, is designed to sell extra pieces of plastic and for extra cash grab you can spend even MORE money for a disc drive.

It's a pointless cash grab imo and a lot of others I've talked to...but I forgot where I was on this forum.

GoldenEye98

I'm more interested in what the price for PS5 Pro would be than the size.

I don't see how it would be less than $599

GoldenEye98

I say $599 max with the PS Digital getting a $50 - $100 price drop by the end of 2024.

Actual price drops for consoles don't really exist anymore. Sales yes, increased storage yes...but not really MSRP drops. PS4 really didn't drop in price much(added storage). Switch really hasn't. And if anything the PS5 has gone up in price.(with a modest storage increase)

peish

Source on no liquid metal?

And has anyone info on m.2 drive support?

I’m wondering whether the PSU draws less Watt or if it’s the same nm. A smaller PSU on same nm size would be risky in terms of coil whine I’m afraid.

Do you think Sony will release an even slimmer version in say 2026, such as just the left part? And would it either:
1. support the current upcoming external ODD
2. have a new kind of external ODD
or
3. Digital only

I’m hoping towards a matte super slim with option 1.

But I will try to wait until PS6 and see how well BC works there before getting a backup PS5.

the same leaky rumors said so.

slim ps5 imo is going to help sony lower their costs more than anything.

the heat sink will also shrink, ouch.

6nm to 5nm do not seem like a big leap.

X-Wing

For the people complaining about the stand, the original console was really big and heavy and it didn’t really need the stand to be stable vertically. This one is way smaller and lighter, probably needs it even less for vertical position while for horizontal it is a requirement. So you get the stand to set it horizontally and if you really want one for aesthetics for vertical positioning it doesn’t cost that much.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Actual price drops for consoles don't really exist anymore. Sales yes, increased storage yes...but not really MSRP drops. PS4 really didn't drop in price much(added storage). Switch really hasn't. And if anything the PS5 has gone up in price.(with a modest storage increase)
They saw Nintendo getting away with not dropping their price and figured they could do the same.

Now not only do they not drop the price but they increase it and resell you console accessories that were previously free...and somehow no one is really complaining 🙄

wipeout364

Is all this PS5 Pro talk just rumors or is it coming? I want to get another PS5 at some point but I am in no rush so would prefer to get a Pro if it’s coming in the next 12 months or so.

BoxFresh123

Is all this PS5 Pro talk just rumors or is it coming? I want to get another PS5 at some point but I am in no rush so would prefer to get a Pro if it’s coming in the next 12 months or so.

Tom Henderson has been pretty spot on with his PS hardware stuff. Seems a matter of time before it's announced TBH

GoldenEye98

They saw Nintendo getting away with not dropping their price and figured they could do the same.

Now not only do they not drop the price but they increase it and resell you console accessories that were previously free...and somehow no one is really complaining 🙄

Part of the reason is that die shrinks don't really give a drop in cost like it use too.

It's basically the entire reason why Microsoft offered a 2 tier approach right from the beginning of this generation. Series S ensures a lower price point...

Tom Henderson has been pretty spot on with his PS hardware stuff. Seems a matter of time before it's announced TBH

Obviously they are not announcing until Q3 2024. If they announce it too soon that would impact PS5 sales for the whole year 2024

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Obviously they are not announcing until Q3 2024. If they announce it too soon that would impact PS5 sales for the whole year 2024
Most people would probably still opt for the base model unless the price is the same. Worst case some people would hold out in hope of a price drop on the base model but It probably wouldn't be a majority.

Mr.Phoenix

the same leaky rumors said so.

slim ps5 imo is going to help sony lower their costs more than anything.

the heat sink will also shrink, ouch.

6nm to 5nm do not seem like a big leap.
That's because just saying 6nm/5nm isn't painting the full picture. First off, the dreaded cache shrink (or lack of it) is better on 5nm vs 6nm which is the same as it was in 7nm. But most importantly, 6nm or 5nm doesn't really mean what it should. With TSMC, and pretty much all foundries, 6nm vs 7nm just means that 6 is better than 7... but in truth, they could all internally be in the same 10nm family. Just lie how TSMCs 4nm and 5nm are considered to be in the same node family.

But the most important thing, is that a PS5pro could be Sony's test bed or a way of building a test APU that's modular. With the CPU + GPU being on the same die but the cache and mem buses on a separate die. And this is something people seem to not take note of, the PS5pro, could actually end up being the foundational blueprint of the PS6. In the exact same way, the PS4pro is the literal blueprint of the PS5.
For the people complaining about the stand, the original console was really big and heavy and it didn’t really need the stand to be stable vertically. This one is way smaller and lighter, probably needs it even else for vertical position while for horizontal it is a requirement. So you get the stand to set it horizontally and if you really want one for aesthetics for vertical positioning it doesn’t cost that much.
lets not id ourselves here, this one may be smaller, but it's still bigger than a PS4pro.

X-Wing

lets not id ourselves here, this one may be smaller, but it's still bigger than a PS4pro.

Yeah, it's also bigger than the first PlayStation or the NES, what's your point?
The relevant comparison is between this new format and the launch PlayStation 5...

Mr.Phoenix

Yeah, it's also bigger than the first PlayStation or the NES, what's your point?
The relevant comparison is between this new format and the launch PlayStation 5...
Maybe you should read what you said then unless you have confused yourself. You suggested that this one in comparison to the original may need the stand to stay vertical because its smaller.

My point is that it still wouldn't because even though its smaller than the original, it's still the second largest console Sony has made, and if the likes of the PS4pro, and PS3 could stand vertically without a stand, this one would too.

Cant believe I am having to explain someone's own point and scenario to them.

PS4 dropped by $100 when Slim was announced.

Codeblew

New PS5's will get a price drop early next year after the old PS5's are completely sold out everywhere. You have to give people incentive to buy the fatty.

iHaunter

RE retard edition.

Add the BR drive costs you $80.

It does not come with dual purpose stand. No liquid metal cooling.

I am curious about the 1TB SSD, how they went from 825GB to 1TB, did they reduce the lanes?
BR Drive is not the same as a 4K BR drive. A decent 4K BR Drive can run you $300. Amazing a lot of people still don't know the difference.

Gamerguy84

Most people would probably still opt for the base model unless the price is the same. Worst case some people would hold out in hope of a price drop on the base model but It probably wouldn't be a majority.
Yea I'm not the majority but I would be there day 1.

Edit wrong thread.

Last edited:

Crayon

I want to believe, that if a stand is needed for it to be placed horizontally, then that would come in the box, but if its somehow designed in a way that you can place it horizontally without a stand, then it wouldn't come with one. However, I believe the ODD attachment would come with a stand thingy for horizontal placement.

As for the vertical thing, I am sure like the PS5 model before it, and every PS since the PS2, if you really want to place it vertically you can do so without a stand. But yeah, if you want to be really cautious, then now you would have to buy a stand separately.

That top glossy part though, hopefully, they still sell faceplates which would mean Dbrand would make new pates too.

I never used the stand for my PS5. It went straight in a drawer.

Wait hold on for a sec.

I just threw it away.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
BR Drive is not the same as a 4K BR drive. A decent 4K BR Drive can run you $300. Amazing a lot of people still don't know the difference.

I wouldn't expect this to be a "decent" 4k BR drive, unfortunately. It'll be about the same as the one in the console now (or identical). It'll work, but watch a 4k disc and it'll be louder than you want it to be.

I was hoping my Ps5 would be quieter than my series X for watching films, but they're both as loud as each other.

Mr.Phoenix

Are these official Sony Images? I haven't seen that they have said the deep earth collection will be available for the "slim" model. If they are official, can you post the link to where you got them?
Dunno about the images.... but...

PSBlog
A variety of PS5 Console Cover colors for the new model will be available starting in early 2024, including an all-matte Black colorway and the Deep Earth Collection colors in Volcanic Red, Cobalt Blue, and Sterling Silver. Prices for the PS5 Console Covers will start at 54.99 USD | 54.99 EURO | 44.99 GBP | 7,480 JPY. Additional colors will be released in the future.

I never used the stand for my PS5. It went straight in a drawer.

Wait hold on for a sec.

I just threw it away.
THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE. There is simply not enough surface area for any Playstation console to stand vertical without the official PLAYSTATION stand.

Top Bottom