• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New look for PS5 console coming this holiday season

I am kinda happy it's not really that much smaller.
It still wouldn't fit in default ikea Kallax shelving unit.
Saying that, I am happy that all my ikea kallax modding didn't go to waste lol
YQRLtUZ.jpg
tkwmdo4v04b01.png

is this you?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You are reaching here.. and you jnow it... or at least I hope you do. This exists because...

1. sony can now (on a current node) fit the PS5 into a smaller chassis. They have made such a revision for every PS console over the last 3 decades.
  2. Sony can increase their prices because the demand for their console is still there. Even at this higher price point, they are still tracking on par or better than the PS4. So obviously someone out there wants PS5s?
  3. Are you really are still linking this to a switch? this is such a dumb argument, anyway, you spin it, more has gone into this new version of the PS5 than a new colored switch. And it deserves as much fanfare as say Nintendo releasing a new version of the same with, be it a smaller chassis or a different type of screen. I honestly can't wrap my head around why you are trying so hard to manufacture something wrong with what Sony is doing here with the PS5.

And that last question... are you serious? You see why I say you are reaching? What do you mean by who is going to buy a PS5 for $499 with a bigger SSD? The current PS5 ODD version costs $499 and has an 825GB SSD. And is still selling just fine. So what inda delusion makes you think that a smaller PS5 + ODD + 1TB SSD at the same $499, is suddenly something no one wants? No one has to as for it, Sony basically gave them the same PS5 at $99 with a bigger drive. If anything, the only negative here is that Sony has technically increased the price of the PS5 digital version... but again, that is something they can only do if the demand for their product can support it. And I can promise you this much, Micrsft would love to have such a problem where they can increase the price of their box and still be selling out.
It is kinda amazing that now the narrative has shifted to the price increase of the DE...while just dismissing the version that comes with the disc drive....

....didnt go up in price....

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Basically:

As I say, it's just why I don't think it will come.

I've also said that I don't think Tom Henderson is wrong with his info, but maybe his info could be wrong.

MS having no plans for a Pro console only affirms what I believe.
It'd be weird if a company like MS would not compete with a PS5 Pro, unless they REALLY are that incompetent in thinking they would crush PS5 with Series X.

So unless MS has some secret Pro release in the works without letting court know, I highly doubt Sony will release a Pro.
I think the point is in this instance Microsoft is really that incompetent.

Three

This only exists to extract more money from those that buy it. No one was asking for a 30% smaller machine and who is going to spend $500 for a new machine with 200GB extra space??

And no, a Red Switch doesn't need to exist either but at least Nintendo isn't trying to pretend you're actually getting something new with it.
How exactly do you "pretend" you're actually getting something new with it? What does that even mean?

supernova8

Banned
I'm guessing the price increase for the digital console is really there so that they could price the add-on drive at $80 (ie well below $100) but still get $520 off you overall.

Assuming they want to make the digital + add-on later cost more, keeping it at $399 would mean they have to charge at least $110-$120 for the disc drive, which probably wouldn't go down well.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The lack of awareness by Sony's design team is kinda worrying, to be honest. They had the oportunity to fix certain functional issues of the previous design (i.e.: the need for a stand), but instead decided to make them worse. Now you need two stands if you want to simply swap positions, and the vertical one is sold separately.

They also could've toned town the crazy aesthetics a little bit while still respecting the original vision, but no, they made it crazier and uglier. It now features even more curves, the pregnancy has been pronounced, and you got a beautiful shiny plastic on top instead of the OG matte finish. Gotta love those scratches.

Can't wait to see the mounstruosity the Pro version will be.
Work of Jim the destroyer?

EDMIX

As much not-a-slim as there is, the size reduction with visual context is actually fairly substantial

ps5-slim-comparison-1696966709023.jpg

True, I'll probably buy one for my sister when Sim's 5 or GTA VI drops (which ever comes first) lol

This only exists to extract more money from those that buy it. No one was asking for a 30% smaller machine and who is going to spend $500 for a new machine with 200GB extra space??

And no, a Red Switch doesn't need to exist either but at least Nintendo isn't trying to pretend you're actually getting something new with it.
This is...not for the ones that already have a PS5. There's "only" 40 something million PS5 users. This is for the ones that are buying next and mostly for Sony since production costs will decrease.

The slim versions never have the current users as the main target. This is a weird comment to make.

The Pro next year is for us though...

zokie

新型PS5 is the new PS5

for me i love the new design and maybe i can get it in time for FFVII Rebirth

Last edited:

Mega_Deth

Looks great to me. Very interested to see proper comparisons. The height decrease(whilst vertical) is quite significant but I'm curious about the depth(from disk-drive side to the power supply side). Do we lose any USB ports at all?

Killjoy-NL

Small question. If Sony were to make a PS5 pro... do you believe that by the end of the PS5 gen, it can be said that 15-20% of all PS5s sold would be of the Pro variant?

If the answer to that is yes, what do you think that 15-20% of extra sales is worth to Sony? Are you aware that a majority of those sales would come from people who bought a PS5 in 2020/2021? Do you realize that would also mean a lot of OG PS5s would go into the used market? You know a used PS5 save still increases the overall install base if the person selling went off to buy a new PS5 Pro?
Could be.

But then you could wonder how many of that percentage already owned a PS5 and how many wouldn't have bought the regular PS5 if there wasn't a Pro.

as of now, it's all hypothetical anyway.
That aside, I think your problem is that you don't really get or understand what type of product something like a PS5 Pro is. You are trying to make sense out of something that is inherently nonsensical. A PS5 Pro is going to be the exact same thing as a PS5, but allow a higher graphics profile. Nothing more, nothing less. That matters to some people, and to others, they would just want to buy the best PS5 instead.

Trying to argue against that is the equivalent of arguing whether Nvidia needs to have a 4070, 4080, or 4090. They all do the same thing, some GPUs just do it better than others, and there is nearly a market or people that want the same... but better.
I know exactly what a Pro is. It isn't rocket-science and like I said, I'm not necessarily against a Pro-version.

I also bought a PS4 Pro and will buy a PS5 Pro if they release it.
I'm just saying that there is far less reason to release one this gen compared to last-gen.

You make it sound like 4K has gone away now. People still want 4K60 and many want 4K120 not 4K30 or 140060.

PS5 Pro will ALSO improve VR2 performance...

Not sure what this has to do with the XSX and XSS.
People are already used to it. It doesn't have the same wow-factor.
Why does the gap between the Series S and PS5 Pro matter at all.. You still haven't answered that.

I have to explain why a price-gap between Series S and PS5 Pro can matter?
The power isn't a defining factor for a hybrid handheld console, that isn't to say it isn't with a home console.

The XSX isn't selling well because the Xbox brand is diminished. The Series S sells based on price alone and gamepass which is unsustainable.
Bolded was exactly my point.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

That price gap already exists? Will the PS5 digital crease to exist when the Pro releases?
Read back. I'm not gonna explain something I've clearly explained earlier.

I'm not saying it will automatically change anything, just that perception of consumer can potentially change and it's a factor to consider.

20cent

Banned
*every single PlayStation console starting with the goddamn PS1 and including the PSP has gotten a slim version*

*PS5 slim announced*

“Tom Henderson is an oracle wow! Never doubt Tom! Dude doesn’t miss!”
"Sony is already working on the successor of the PS5, the PS6, but will we see a Pro version first?"

We just talked about the disk drive lol. I’m not following along? You just repeated yourself. Yes 1 production detail of the PS5 slim

Also we’re talking about this model announced today not some earbuds or a controller. You look like a clown cheerleading for some “insider” you don’t know personally. And all your counters here are just empty

Why this obvious troll is not banned yet is surprising. Tom Henderson literally leaked all those devices with specifics before anyone else. Do some research, or learn to troll better.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

You get more USB-C ports in the front which is useful for PSVR2 and controllers charging at the same time, you get a much smaller and lighter console (which is important to people, just that you have decided that having a much smaller and lighter version of the biggest console out there is not important to you) and potentially one with lower power consumption, and you can add or and this is key replace the disc drive for any model yourself.

Then again it is mostly for new customers, period.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This would confuse customers.
Just look at when Microsoft released the hd-dvd drive for the 360.
The HD DVD was purely for watching films, so it's not really the same thing, all 360s had a dvd drive.

Fwiw, I also think that having two SKU's is an interesting choice, but I suspect that for Sony it's not about consumers being confused or not, it's about being able to advertise "starting at" pricing. That gets people into the mindset of making a purchase, but also a desire to move into a more digital future and also about the difference in bottom line between the two systems.

I suspect that the digital price increase indicates that Sony likely were making less/a bigger loss on the current digital SKU and this pricing improves that.

I think that selling the drive separately is a fairly pro consumer move - people can do what they like down the line, enables easy repairs if drives fail, etc.

But in this instance, I expect that relatively few drives will be sold, I have no data, and am just guessing but I bet a lot of people buy a disk edition because they want to be covered for all eventualities and then never use the drive.

For Sony this is possibly a way of finding out if consumers will buy more digital systems if they have a safety net. Increasing the price on the digital machine makes me think they'll sell more of them than they did with the original systems, which likely were worse for Sony's profits than the disc edition.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
We just talked about the disk drive lol. I’m not following along? You just repeated yourself. Yes 1 production detail of the PS5 slim

Also we’re talking about this model announced today not some earbuds or a controller. You look like a clown cheerleading for some “insider” you don’t know personally. And all your counters here are just empty
He is quoting evidence to support his argument and your counter is to hand wave the evidence away because you are not talking about that today? What?

Melchiah

• U.S.
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – 499.99 USD
    • PS5 Digital Edition – 449.99 USD
  • Europe
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – 549.99 EUR
    • PS5 Digital Edition – 449.99 EUR

Fuck off with this bullshit. The current disc drive model is available for 499€ at many retailers, and was recently discounted at 449€. Europeans shouldn't have to pay more than yanks. It's hilarious that many over there now whine, when the DE's price is the same between the regions.

If the supposed Pro model follows the same regional pricing strategy, I'll definitely wait until discounts that put the price on the same level. There's no way in hell I'd pay +50€ premium over what others pay.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Fuck off with this bullshit. The current disc drive model is available for 499€ at many retailers, and was recently discounted at 449€. Europeans shouldn't have to pay more than yanks. It's hilarious that many over there now whine, when the DE's price is the same between the regions.
Yanks have sales tax not included there…

Why this obvious troll is not banned yet is surprising. Tom Henderson literally leaked all those devices with specifics before anyone else. Do some research, or learn to troll better.
Did I step out of a time machine from 2012? We're still doing the "troll" thing?

You people here are obsessed, and I mean obsessed with saying troll to anyone who posits anything you don't like

I always respect a good grift, $30 for about $0.75 of plastic and aluminum is just....
Yum Yum Chefs Kiss GIF by Nick Jonas

Anybody expecting next year's Pro model to sell for less than $750 is delusional.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I always respect a good grift, $30 for about $0.75 of plastic and aluminum is just....
Yum Yum Chefs Kiss GIF by Nick Jonas

Anybody expecting next year's Pro model to sell for less than $750 is delusional.
I think this is why I don't see it happening, that's too expensive to be mass market, but make a machine that hits a lower price and I wonder if the machine would be considered worth it by consumers.

Last edited:
the stand is sold separately?

$30 stand
$50 dollar price increase for digital
$80 dollar disk drive

to get a new digital ps5 to equate a day one physical ps5, you are paying $60 more. to buy discs that will be useless by an all digital next gen.

this seems like a wasted opportunity from sony.
You’re brave mentioning all-digital on here. Though it’s true

Top Bottom