• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco's Tales, Taiko, and Dragon Ball games for Switch due by March 2018

No, but considering the hardware difference between the two machines you shouldnt be too defended if users bring it up from time to time. We just have to wait and see how some of these bigger titles that are planned for Switch/PS4 will end up looking. I doubt they would include Switch if it would mess up their vision as developers and designers too much.

Would have been great to see the DQXI Switch version and how it holds up compared to the PS4 version - maybe we will see more of these type of projects at e3.

I'm not defended lol. I need to prepare for the "concern".

Quonny

Are posts like "Why is Switch holding PS4 games back?" going to be allowed in topics in the future?

Why wouldn't they be?

If the Switch truly takes off and everything Japanese is technologically held back by Switch then it could change the landscape of gaming and the future of the industry.

If Tales truly goes Switch/PS4/PC it will be disappointing for me. Sure, that means Switch owners will get to play it, but it also means we're going to be seeing a lot more of the same games we've already been playing for the past four games. As someone who has played all the recent Tales games, this likely means I won't be playing future entries because they're too iterative for me.

It's not concern trolling. It's legitimate disappointment.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Shame on Bamco for using that old Miku-less screenshot of the Starlight Stage title screen.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I think if it was a very simple port or a port of something recent like Symphonia or Berseria it probably would have been announced and near release by now. Saving it for later probably means it's either a light/spinoff project, or if it is a port, it's of something that isn't too recent at this point and want to draw some attention to.

Berseria is a no brainer, hopefully it goes to the switch sooner than later. Vesperia is what people beg for, but who knows.

There is a deep catalog of amazing Tales games to release. Heck, I would love an Enhanced port of Radiant Mythology 2.

Why wouldn't they be?

If the Switch truly takes off and everything Japanese is technologically held back by Switch then it could change the landscape of gaming and the future of the industry.

If Tales truly goes Switch/PS4/PC it will be disappointing for me. Sure, that means Switch owners will get to play it, but it also means we're going to be seeing a lot more of the same games we've already been playing for the past four games.

It's good more people get to play the games.

javadoze

Region-free Taiko.

Give it all to me.

(New Tales on Switch is exciting, but I'll wait and see about that before getting excited.)

Hell, I might even be down for a tales of on switch if they're quick enough with it.

Better not basically be a beta test for a ps4 game though like the Wii only one was for PS3.

Instro

When the Switch starts getting mutiplats of everything in Japan, this will happen a lot. Then it gets worse when switch starts getting the big exclusives people want.

It will probably all balance out because I can see that the reverse situation will also come up(as in formerly Nintendo handheld only series going multiplat).

Quonny

It's good more people get to play the games.

For Namco? Yes. For people who are just getting into the series? Of course.

For me? No. And to dismiss that as trolling or fanboyism is ridiculous. I don't care what system these games come out on as long as they're fresh and new. My fear is that this will set back any advancements in the series for many years. They've been sitting on the same tech for a long time. This is the perfect 'excuse' to keep on keepin' on.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'm not defended lol. I need to prepare for the "concern".

Heh..oh i agree. Just saying some of those comments will be genuine...why others will just use it to troll.

Why wouldn't they be?

If Tales truly goes Switch/PS4/PC it will be disappointing for me. Sure, that means Switch owners will get to play it, but it also means we're going to be seeing a lot more of the same games we've already been playing for the past four games.

You do realize that market has been dominated by portables for who knows how long ? Most of the PS4 titles are based or share the core DNA with Vita/PS3.

PSFan

It would be pretty hilarious if the Tales of game turns out to be the GCN version of Symphonia releasing on the VC. lol

Lucreto

I think people are getting a little too hyped over this.

They are not going port the older titles.

Tales of Symphonia HD or a Zesteria / Berseria collection.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Vesperia F with grace's battle system + ps3 content + new stuff please

Why do that?

Just make a brand new game with Tales of Graces battle system with the storytelling and character interaction of Abyss, Symphonia, and Vesperia and you are golden.

I think people are getting a little too hyped over this.

They are not going port the older titles.

Tales of Symphonia HD or a Zesteria / Berseria collection.

Berseria makes sense, but not as a "collection" thing

Why wouldn't they be?

If Tales truly goes Switch/PS4/PC it will be disappointing for me. Sure, that means Switch owners will get to play it, but it also means we're going to be seeing a lot more of the same games we've already been playing for the past four games. As someone who has played all the recent Tales games, this likely means I won't be playing future entries because they're too iterative for me.

Tales has never been technologically advanced.

18-Volt

Why the fuck a simple DB Xenoverse 2 port is taking so much time? I thought that game was a launch window title. I have nothing to play on my Switch right now and a game like Xenoverse could really quench my thirst. Come on Namco, hurry up.

Mediking

Why wouldn't they be?

Lmao we're trying to save gaming in Japan right now. Relax, Quoony. A bad game is a BAD game. A good game is a GOOD game.

Quonny

Tales has never been technologically advanced.

Obviously. But we're still stuck on PS3 tech. Now, with this, we might be stuck on it even longer.

That's my concern. That doesn't mean the games will be bad. That doesn't mean I'm writing them off. Only that I am concerned for what this could potentially mean for the main series going forward.

That's all.

Lmao we're trying to save gaming in Japan right now. Relax, Quoony. A bad game is a BAD game. A good game is a GOOD game.

Yes. But if a good game is very similar to a good game I played seven years ago, and four years ago, and two years ago, it's not going to be as good for me.

That's all I'm saying. Personally, I want them to push the series technologically forward, even if that means it's still five years behind the rest of the industry. This announcement has the potential to 'block' that advancement. Literally all I'm saying.

bomblord1

Banned
I would be happy with any Tales game other than Bersaria and Zestiria. I've had my fill of both of them

Best case scenario would be a new Tales game.
Second best case scenario would be an updated remake or remaster of an older game ala hearts on the Vita.

Worst case scenario would be a Bersaria Port

Instro

For Namco? Yes. For people who are just getting into the series? Of course.

For me? No. And to dismiss that as trolling or fanboyism is ridiculous. I don't care what system these games come out on as long as they're fresh and new. My fear is that this will set back any advancements in the series for many years. They've been sitting on the same tech for a long time. This is the perfect 'excuse' to keep on keepin' on.

Possibly, but it's also possible that the added market and revenue stream pushes them to move the series forward. In the end I'd rather see the series do as well as it can, particularly considering that it doesn't seem like Berseria did super well(more than happy to be corrected on this).

Why wouldn't they be?

It literally is. You guys are perfectly fine with consoles holding back PC. Some of you need to stop pretending you care about games developed for the strongest platform, when you're actually just concerned with them using your console of choice to its best

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Obviously. But we're still stuck on PS3 tech. Now, with this, we might be stuck on it even longer.

That's my concern. That doesn't mean the games will be bad. That doesn't mean I'm writing them off. Only that I am concerned for what this could potentially mean for the main series going forward.

That's all.

Being on Switch mean we are stuck on PS3 tech forever ? What about DQXI ? Or do you expect Tales of to suddenly get FFXV type budget and and have a 4 year long dev-cycle because its PS4 only ?

Revven

Xenoverse 2 on the go would be pretty cool and I'm sure the plan is to release this version sometime after all the DLC is out on the other platforms. I'd bet it's coming out in the Fall on Switch with all the DLC. It would be a year after it originally came out on the other platforms but you would be getting all the DLC in it for $60 as opposed to the $90 everyone else paid for the other platforms (if you bought the game day 1 and then all the DLC). In this case, it's not like the months-year late Wii U ports the Wii U got (such as Injustice and similar games).

I am curious how well it'll do considering stuff like Budokai 1 and Budokai 2 on the Gamecube were similar situations (ports but with new changes/additions) but clearly didn't sell nearly as well as indicated by the lack of a Budokai 3 port. But then you look at Tenkaichi 2 & 3 on Wii and we saw a lot of success there (they sold more than the PS2 versions iirc but then that's the Wii install base for you). I'm sure XV2 with all the DLC might actually do pretty well on Switch if they release it at the right time.

They just need to give more info and a solid date at E3.

This kinda scares me a little bit.

I mean, The past couple Tales games have played down to PS3 levels and have not tried to take advantage of the PS4 power. Are they going to gimp the next version as well to meet Switch standards as the baseline?

It will get better graphics anyway if Switch is the baseline, cause Switch is stronger, more modern and has 6x the ram of PS3 (for games). You won't see a Tales of with the budget of FF15 etc. anyway, Switch power is enough for that series. Also Switch is getting a DQ 11 port, i don't see too many fans cry about bad graphics for the PS4 version.

kewlmyc

Tales better not be exclusive.

That's not going to happen. They just got done with Berseria last year. I doubt they have the time and resources to release a brand new game for a new console in a years time. At least that's what I hope since I want them to take their time with the next mainline title.

It's going to be a port. It's just a guess as to which game. We'll know for sure June 2-4 since that's the date of Tales Fes 2017.

Zalman

Even if it's the least exciting option, I would dig a Berseria port. I haven't played it yet, but I would love a handheld version.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 I assume will launch as a multiplatform complete edition with all the DLC.

Rpgmonkey

Berseria is a no brainer, hopefully it goes to the switch sooner than later. Vesperia is what people beg for, but who knows.

There is a deep catalog of amazing Tales games to release. Heck, I would love an Enhanced port of Radiant Mythology 2.

For now, at least, they haven't moved beyond making their catalog of PS2 games available on other platforms. They got Destiny 2 and Rebirth on the PSP, Abyss to the 3DS, Symphonia to the PS3, Destiny R and Legendia still remain. I don't think the immediate assumption should be Vesperia if they're doing a port (don't know why its 10th anniversary keeps coming up either, that's next year, whatever they're making is probably releasing this fall in Japan, if we're going by anniversaries it'd be a Destiny port).

That's all.

The possibility of the next mainline Tales game being on the Switch doesn't mean they can't or won't make use of a new engine (if anything I'd say it's more likely because it would make a multiplat Switch/PS4/PC game easier to develop) or or that things like say, additional RAM over the PS3, won't be very beneficial to them expanding or implementing new ideas.

If there's one studio I count on for pushing the technical envelope of every new console generation, it's the Tales Of studio...

I wouldn't want any console holding back their technical 'prowess'. :p

Being not so familiar with the workings of the Tales series these days, why do some people speculate it could be a Vesperia port? That one is almost ten years old and there have been several entries since?

Wishful thinking due to Vesperia being one of the better games in the series and only having the basic 360 release outside of Japan.

Waji

Why wouldn't they be?

It's trolling or ignorance. What does that even mean.
No Tales of would be a problem for the Switch and adding a platform wouldn't prevent the series from getting new titles.

If the industry needs something, it's to stop relying only on performance and be smarter.
If only it was making them try to go for a 2D title again, that would be nice. Or anything original.

Nairume

Banned
Being on Switch mean we are stuck on PS3 tech forever ? What about DQXI ? Or do you expect Tales of to suddenly get FFXV type budget and and have a 4 year long dev-cycle because its PS4 only ?
If PS4 is the exclusive home of Tales, namco will 100% magically discover the budget they've been withholding from the series to make it a native 4k 120fps graphical tour de force beating out every game in existence, being completely voiced, and having 1000 hours worth of content.

The PS3 and now the Switch are the only things keeping us from that glory. Nothing else.

Quonny

You all made some valid points.

While I still am disappointed, I can see that it is selfish and only seeing the negative and not taking both the pros and cons of this into consideration. I just don't have faith in the Tales team anymore, and could only see 'new engine' as a possible way to kick them in the butt, as the games have gotten very stale for me.

Let's see where this goes. 2D Tales on the go would be wew.

Top Bottom