• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor 2010 |OT| OPERATORS OPERATING in OPERATIONS

PaNaMa

Banned
In most cases, a 4 hour "normal" experience translates into about 6 hours or more if you bump up the difficulty a notch. So since this isn't my first shooter, I'll probably wind up playing on a higher difficutly/challenge ..

The multiplayer - to me - looks to be a notch below MW1, and BF2, but at least lacks the cheeze of MW2. Moreover -and I like Halo don't get me wrong - it lets me get back to killing people after a I shoot them a couple times. I'm a little tired of shooting 914 rounds at someone in Halo, and still only killing them cause of my grenade.

Even if it's not as good as COD, it's good enough to get me through til the next one. Bag a few gamer points during what looks to be a pretty decent campaign ... then trade it in on Nov 9, most likely.

just why is this getting hated on anyway?

It looks mint... and it's not like MW2 was perfect by any means. I really don;t get why people who like one thing have to treat it like anything similar is mutually exclusive?

Victrix

*beard*
NinjaFusion said:
just why is this getting hated on anyway?

It looks mint... and it's not like MW2 was perfect by any means. I really don;t get why people who like one thing have to treat it like anything similar is mutually exclusive?

The SP isn't getting hated on, the MP is because it's very similar to MW, but without a lot of features that MW fans like, and with just enough MW to make BF fans dislike it. It's right in the middle of two camps, and not fully appreciated by either.

Victrix said:
The SP isn't getting hated on, the MP is because it's very similar to MW, but without a lot of features that MW fans like, and with just enough MW to make BF fans dislike it. It's right in the middle of two camps, and not fully appreciated by either.

Eh, I would't necessarily say that. I enjoyed the Combat Mission mode--the gun mechanics are closer to COD than BC2, but the map design is similar to BC2. I think it's pretty great, from the limited amount I played. Still want to wait for more details and maps.

EDIT: I think the main problem is that everyone was expected a MP that's on a grander scale, but everything feels a little small/limited. It looks like COD but is lacking a lot of COD's features, but it also purports to be different than COD while obviously going for the COD look/trying to take a bite out of the COD crowd. If anything, the confusion of expectations not being met have caused the bad press...but I don't think it's a bad game at all.

noire said:
Haven't played the beta, is it possible that it may establish it's own identity? I can see something between those two games being very good.

The jury is still out but I think it has a fairly solid identity after this latest beta. There's so much we haven't seen though, so who knows?

Is there much info out on the leveling/unlock progression yet?

kevm3

I think much of the complaint this gets are fans from either the BC or the COD camp. BC fans think it sucks because the stages are much smaller, it doesn't have as much destruction or vehicles. COD fans are in the COD camp, so they won't particularly take to it.

To me, it sounds like something I would really enjoy. MW smaller maps and more focused action with less vehicles and the more solid feel of Battlefield's weapons.

LQX

Also it seems odd SP would be so short being that that a separate team worked on it while Dice did the MP. I would expect a team dedicated to only doing SP would turn out a game more than 4-5 hours long. I bet they were actually also working on MP but EA did not like it so handed it off to Dice but that would have been a long time ago which still does not excuse SP being so short.

Arde5643 said:
Damn, 4 hours is much too short for the SP campaign.

What if it four absolutely amazing hours, that is entertaining from start to finish with no fluff or dull stuff?

Why is the number always the make or break it factor?

sdornan

Vinterbird said:
What if it four absolutely amazing hours, that is entertaining from start to finish with no fluff or dull stuff?

Why is the number always the make or break it factor?

Because 4 hours is way too short for a $60 game regardless of how awesome it is.

Also, judging from the stream, it was very generic and many of its scenes were ripped straight from Modern Warfare.

sdornan said:
Because 4 hours is way too short for a $60 game regardless of how awesome it is.

To each his own then. If it was two hours in length and was an amazing experience I would gladely fork over the money.

Cornbread78

Victrix said:

That's exactly why I'me so interested. Shit, I like all kinds of shooters, they all feel differently and can all be appreciated!

I heard something and perhaps somebody can clarify if this is correct or not.

Is it true that you have to buy this new or buy an MP access code to even try the multiplayer?

Because if that's true that stinks. I remember hearing that EA sports titles give you a free week or something online if you rent them. Because that's the only way I would be willing to try this. I had this on my gamefly queue.

The beta was horrible on consoles. Without being able to test drive it, there is no way I'm dropping $60 on a game that didn't give me a good impression.

I might be completely wrong about this though so if anybody can give some clarification that would be great. Thx.

Few Things....

- EA asked me to take down the ending of the game in my archives so I agreed to do so.
- Yea the game is 4 hours on normal
- You need a code to play MP BUT when I put it in the code it said it couldn't connect to server. MP must be down.
- My impressions are still up in the air my initial reaction to the SP is that it was "ok"

Dennis

Banned
BigBlackGamer said:
Few Things....

- EA asked me to take down the ending of the game in my archives so I agreed to do so.
- Yea the game is 4 hours on normal
- You need a code to play MP BUT when I put it in the code it said it couldn't connect to server. MP must be down.
- My impressions are still up in the air my initial reaction to the SP is that it was "ok"
You played on Normal? How was the challenge?

kuYuri

Stoney Mason said:
Hmm.... So its like complete access meaning its locked away and not like some VIP thing like in Bad Company 2?

I don't think it's to play MP. I think it's just for additional content like VIP stuff in BC2.

On PS Store update on Tuesday, I saw that the MoH online pass went up for $10 and it says something about additional content.

Actually going back they do let you play for a short period of time. For how long I have no idea. Although right now matchmaking can't find any servers for any game type.

Hmmm....

I guess I'll leave it in the queue. Hopefully its enough time or a VIP system like BC 2 where I can at least try out the MP side for long enough to see the good and the bad.

X26

Banned
with it right in the middle of reach, fallout, and black ops I doubt I'll be giving this a shot

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Alright, I posted a caveat about buying the game used. I think it's just dumb, but I'm on PC so it's ultimately not going to effect me.

Spruchy

I hope no one's surprised when this bombs considering it's launch time frame, the 4 hour campaign, and code required to play multiplayer,

Alright, 4 hours SP seals it for me, I'll just wait for KZ3 and Gears 3 now. I don't need another MP shooter so it's been all about the SP for me, and while I generally don't gripe too much about short campaigns (assuming that the content is good), this is pushing it. 4 hours is what they managed to craft from the source material, W.T.F.? Yeah, fuck this.

Does this game even have campaign co-op?

Spruchy said:
I hope no one's surprised when this bombs considering it's launch time frame, the 4 hour campaign, and code required to play multiplayer,

It's not a bad thing if a game bombs for those reasons. Let's just hope that ea learns from it if it all comes true.

Spruchy said:

How would the code hurt sales of the game? It's an incentive to buy new.

Spruchy said:

I was about to post the same thing...I have a weird feeling this is going to bomb. Maybe just for GAF, though.

hellclerk

parathod said:
How would the code hurt sales of the game? It's an incentive to buy new.
It also destroys resale value. The 4 hour campaign isn't the worst thing by far, I'm just surprised that it's so short considering that they had a whole separate team on it. However, for what's there, it looks really good, so it'll find its niche. I don't think it'll bomb, but I also don't think it'll hit near CoD numbers. Might hit its 3million though...

Varth

AltogetherAndrews said:
Alright, 4 hours SP seals it for me, I'll just wait for KZ3 and Gears 3 now. I don't need another MP shooter so it's been all about the SP for me, and while I generally don't gripe too much about short campaigns (assuming that the content is good), this is pushing it. 4 hours is what they managed to craft from the source material, W.T.F.? Yeah, fuck this.

Does this game even have campaign co-op?

Nope. Only extra is a uber frustrating time attack mode.

Looks like I'm gonna wait now which is a shame, I liked the MP but I was mostly looking forward to the SP as it looked different than BF and CoD. It is a shame, I'll still get it down the road when it has a price drop, but as of right now, I'll pass for the time being.

Mr. Snrub said:
I was about to post the same thing...I have a weird feeling this is going to bomb. Maybe just for GAF, though.

The game is currently in the #1 and #2 spot on Amazon and both versions have been on the top 100 for months. The week it comes out, Kmart is going to offer a $25 gaming coupon and Toys R Us are having their annual buy 2 get 1 free deal. I can not speak for the longevity of this title (might got horrible reviews and slammed across gaming forums for all I know) but the first week sales should be pretty significant.

parathod said:
The game is currently in the #1 and #2 spot on Amazon and both versions have been on the top 100 for months. The week it comes out, Kmart is going to offer a $25 gaming coupon and Toys R Us are having their annual buy 2 get 1 free deal. I can not speak for the longevity of this title (might got horrible reviews and slammed across gaming forums for all I know) but the first week sales should be pretty significant.

And in one fell swoop, I am irrelevant.

Pooya

4 hours and so so MP, not sure what they were thinking :\ . Don't think it will sell even 1/3 of what BFBC2 did, specially now, releasing between Halo and CoD, no chance.

hellclerk

parathod said:
Like I said, it'll match its 3 million. However, if it ends up with bad word of mouth, people will depopulate the online after not too long and gamers who WOULD have played it if their friends kept with it. I'll keep with it though, since this type of game has become increasingly attractive to me. Plus I always tend to go for the more niche stuff.

Top Bottom