• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor 2010 |OT| OPERATORS OPERATING in OPERATIONS

Cheech

The tearing on the PS3 beta was so bad it made me nauseous.

The PC beta ran incredibly smooth on my laptop.

Illogically, I'm buying the 360 version mostly for the campaign and BF3 beta.

I was going to pass and wait for CoD, but the timing on this is much better. I will be knee deep in Fable 3 and Fallout NV in November. As a result, I opted to get my inner Dudebro on this month before the RPG festival begins.

I had toyed with the idea of buying the PC version, but $60? No thanks. The $20 gift card on the 360 version at Amazon sweetened the deal (it only applies to the PS3/360 versions).

onken said:
This is a problem a dumb question but do the console versions run at 60fps?

Hell no. On the PS3 version, it was a similar framerate to Bad Company 2. However, the tearing was MUCH worse.

doomed1 said:
So do I, but so you know, that weapons list is far from final. I'm thinking that things will get changed up going forward, and at that time I'll reorganize the weapons part to reflect the class aspect.

Ah, that's good to know!

MarkMclovin said:
So this is Bad Company 2 and MW:2 mashed together?

I can't think of anything better.

Only question is : PS3 or 360?

After the messed up BC2 controls on 360, PS3 for sure!

Cheech

schennmu said:
After the messed up BC2 controls on 360, PS3 for sure!

Huh? I've put a couple hundred hours into both the PS3 and 360 versions of BC2, and I actually prefer the 360 controls. I had a problem on the DS3 accidentally brushing the trigger and throwing grenades constantly, leading to loads of unpleasant situations. :lol

Gritesh

I'm there day one.

I am enjoying the change of pace on the multi player aspect, and I always liked MOH single player games, hoping this lives up to my expectations.

Cheech said:
Huh? I've put a couple hundred hours into both the PS3 and 360 versions of BC2, and I actually prefer the 360 controls. I had a problem on the DS3 accidentally brushing the trigger and throwing grenades constantly, leading to loads of unpleasant situations. :lol

The aiming on 360 felt very bad to me (huge deadzone) and I've seen many complaints about it, but it's probably no problem if you're really used to the controller.

I also remember the 360 version of BC2 having problem with dithering in foliage, so the PS3 version is a safe bet.

LegoDad

Cheech said:
The tearing on the PS3 beta was so bad it made me nauseous.

The PC beta ran incredibly smooth on my laptop.

Illogically, I'm buying the 360 version mostly for the campaign and BF3 beta.

I was going to pass and wait for CoD, but the timing on this is much better. I will be knee deep in Fable 3 and Fallout NV in November. As a result, I opted to get my inner Dudebro on this month before the RPG festival begins.

I had toyed with the idea of buying the PC version, but $60? No thanks. The $20 gift card on the 360 version at Amazon sweetened the deal (it only applies to the PS3/360 versions).

Hell no. On the PS3 version, it was a similar framerate to Bad Company 2. However, the tearing was MUCH worse.

You do know it was a REAL BETA and not just a beta used as a demo, same goes for the PC one that's out now...

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Question for those that played the beta: Is there grenade cooking? That was something I've always found lacking in BFBC2.

Cornbread78

caliblue15 said:
You do know it was a REAL BETA and not just a beta used as a demo, same goes for the PC one that's out now...

Why bother, people didn't read anything about it. we posted a list of changes from the beta in the other thread....

Here they are again for everyone to see:

jambo said:
I didn't know about the post-beta changes, so for anyone else wondering

http://www.medalofhonor.com/blog/2010/09/beta-changelog

Quote:
Improved and fixed hit detection code
- Improved soldier hit box
- Decreased interpolation time

Various Fixes
- Toggle crouch is functional
- Added weapon pickup feature
- Spawn points tweaked
- Spawn system features added to fix exploits
- Level collisions fixed
- Level exploits fixed
- Level and environment specific shaders for characters and weapons
- Improved lightning and effects on all levels
- Tweaked combat areas to prevent base raping
- Unlock tree expanded with F2000, G3A4 and P90 PDW forh both teams
- Tactical Support Actions score tweaked
- Increased zoom in speed for sniper rifles
- Fixed the delay after firing a bolt action sniper rifle
- Improved ragdolls
- Character visibility tweaked
- 3P muzzle flashes size decreased on all weapons
- Getting hit effects tweaked
- Crashes fixed when using Scoreboard, support actions and connectivity issues
- M3A3 tank engine improved
- M3A3 armor increased
- M3A3 damage increased
- C4 disappear faster after the played died
- C4 can be exploded by hand grenades or rockets but not by bullets
- UAV mesh visible for both teams
- UAV health tweaked

Improved control input mapping
- Major text overhauls
- Major graphical overhauls in the menu and HUD
- Tweaked point system HUD effects
- Tweaked support action HUD effects
- In-game HUD polished
- Kill messages fixed
- Options and screen align fixed
- Added the option to “quit” before spawning
- Total team score fix
- Revamped loading screens
- Clip is now named Magazine
- HP ammo becomes Open-tip ammunition
- Knifes hit detection fixed
- Mouse input suppressing removed
- Mouse aiming is consistent over the board with all weapons
- Knife animations tweaked
- Updated sounds
- Overall improved animations
- Rifleman kit balance
- Weapon damage increased over the board
- M16 and M4 difference increased as long versus close combat rifles

Assault rifles
- M16 damage increased
- 25% recoil increased
- Open-tip ammo damage increased
- 40% recoil increased when using Open-tip ammo
- AK47 damage increased
- 25% recoil increased
- 40% recoil increased when using Open-tip ammo

Light Machine Guns
- M249 damage increased
- Camera spring effect added
- Recoil increased
- Faster recoil decrease after firing
- Open-tip recoil increased
- PKM damage increased
- Recoil increased
- Faster recoil decrease after firing
- Open-tip recoil increased

Carbines
- M4 damage increased
- Accuracy increased
- Firing rate increased
- 24% more recoil
- Open-tip ammo increased
- Open-tip recoil increased by 20%
- AKS74u damage increased
- Accuracy increased
- Firing rate increased
- 24% more recoil
- Open-tip recoil increased by 20%

Combat rifles
- M21/SVD accuracy increased
- M21 and SVD scopes off-center bug fixed
- Open-tip recoil increased by 10%

Sniper rifles
- M24/SV-98 damage increased
- Breath control tweaked
- Breath control now works with any class if you pick up a bolt-action sniper rifle
- Zoomed in mouse-speed increased

Shotguns
- Remington / TOZ-194 shell damage increased
- Shotgun shell “no spread” bug fixed
- Shotgun Slugs damage more close up and less at long distance

Pistols
- M9 / Tariq pistols damage increased
- Accuracy increased
- Firing rate increased

Grenades
- Hand grenade cooking time increased
- Increased splash damage radius
- Smoke grenade cooking time increased
- Radius decreased and damage increased

Support actions
- Defensive support actions are activated directly when triggered
- Improved Support Action HUD
- Improved missile vs. ground detection
- Fixed bugs where holes in windows blocked Support Actions
- Missile speed increased
- Tweaked down screen effect when using Defensive support action armor
- Strafe run bullets stops firing where the marker is set

New points table making Support actions harder to get
- Mortar Strike 50p
- Rocket strike 100p
- Missile 175p
- Artillery 250p
- Strafe run 350p
- Bomb run 450p
- Cruise missile 600p

Rubenov

doomed1 said:
Question for those that played the beta: Is there grenade cooking? That was something I've always found lacking in BFBC2.

Yes there is... it could actually explode in your hand if cooked too long.

Amir0x said:
i was thinking of getting this, but someone told me the BETA impressions were like catastrophically bad

was the BETA that bad?

It's goes like this. MOH Beta was actually a REAL MP Beta, not some stress test for servers. I have been in a lot of closed Beta's and honestly it plays a lot better than the Closed beta for BC2. Its been 5 months so I would assume that it plays much better!!

Dennis

Banned
I am not sure open betas are a good idea. Because apparently there is no real understanding its a BETA, and forums just gets flooded with negative impressions.....

FLEABttn

Banned
DennisK4 said:
I am not sure open betas are a good idea. Because apparently there is no real understanding its a BETA, and forums just gets flooded with negative impressions.....

If your open beta is a week before release date, and concurrent with you shipping your product to stores, it's beta in name only (BINO). That's the code you will find on the discs in stores.

Amir0x said:
i was thinking of getting this, but someone told me the BETA impressions were like catastrophically bad

was the BETA that bad?

My first impression of it was bad but once you started getting people past level 1 and 2 and playing for more than an hour, power discrepancy between weapons starts to narrow if not vanish and people start understand how the maps work. If you asked me Monday if I was going to buy the game based on the open beta, I would have said hell no. Today? Shit's pre-ordered.

Nizz

Great job with the thread, doomed1! I've had the PS3 version preordered for a while now. Release date delivery too so it should be here Tuesday afternoon. Anxious to get my hands on this. :D

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
anyone got a better break down of multiplayer?

Game modes sound like
team dm
Rush
Domination
and ?

how many maps ship for multiplayer?
how many maps are available for each game mode?

won't buy at launch if its same as BC2 (vip trickle existing maps)so need to know before passing or buying

kevm3

This montage has me pretty excited for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9pwonWxX0U

I went and looked over some black ops videos and the more I look at that, I don't really know what's so exciting about it. It did have some cool new modes though. This, however, seems different enough for me to enjoy for a while. Battlefield weapon feel with smaller cod style maps. Only a week left... I re-preordered it.

DennisK4 said:

The earlier beta was indeed a beta, but lets be real, the Oct 4th beta is a demo.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
DennisK4 said:
I am getting this for the PC SP campaign.

Looks like a competent MW clone and that is fine with me.
I'm sure the $60 price point got you going as well. :p

sorry :\

kuYuri

bloodydrake said:
anyone got a better break down of multiplayer?

Game modes sound like
team dm
Rush
Domination
and ?

how many maps ship for multiplayer?
how many maps are available for each game mode?

won't buy at launch if its same as BC2 (vip trickle existing maps)so need to know before passing or buying

Objective Raid reminds me of Demolition from MW2. Two objectives that one team has to blow up, while opposite team defends it and then it switches next round.

VASPER

Banned
Played the PC beta last night at full setting and loved it, felt very tight. I'm not sure which system to get it for?

DSmalls84

Quick question for those that have tried the beta. When people get shot is there limb damage like in World at War or is it pretty toned down?

Dyno

A very funny OP, Doomed. I should have laughed at only the first two beard references but wound up chuckling at each one... I don't get out much anymore...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
VASPER said:
Played the PC beta last night at full setting and loved it, felt very tight. I'm not sure which system to get it for?
PC? I mean you just played the beta on PC so you clearly have a rig that can run it. The PC version is going to be the best version of this game in pretty much every way. The beta even appeared to have pad support (didn't try it, but it already showed as mapped out in the key config).

I'm definitely gonna pick this up for PC when the price goes down. Played some more Combat Misson last night and really enjoyed it. I had a good team too: stood strong as OpFor, pushed them back almost every round, and as US Forces, had great use of cover. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but the game sort of forces you to play smart and careful, and most people on my server got it--we would regularly have situations where we're pinned behind a piece of cover, then someone tosses smoke and a soldier or two advance to the next piece of cover, and after they don't die (haha), the rest of the squad moves up.

The game is not without it's issues and I don't think two days playing two maps is a good indication of a great game...but I'm happy with it. It's slower but more tactical than most games. BC2 is similar but on a larger scale--MOH compacts it into a smaller area but doesn't turn into an arena shooter like COD.

DSmalls84 said:
Quick question for those that have tried the beta. When people get shot is there limb damage like in World at War or is it pretty toned down?

There's really no gore in this game. Think CoD4 in terms of it I guess. Though I do remember when they showed some single player stuff, they sniped a guy and his head exploded. Probably won't be in the multiplayer mode. It is being done by two different teams.

When can we expect reviews? Hopefully they're pretty positive and will get more people interested in it.

VASPER

Banned
Stallion Free said:
PC? I mean you just played the beta on PC so you clearly have a rig that can run it. The PC version is going to be the best version of this game in pretty much every way. The beta even appeared to have pad support (didn't try it, but it already showed as mapped out in the key config).

Yeah a buddy and i put together a $1500 PC with dual video cards so it runs soo silky smooth, but i have friends that play on 360. I think i will get both and compare, 60fps is so nice.

cjtiger300 said:
It's goes like this. MOH Beta was actually a REAL MP Beta, not some stress test for servers. I have been in a lot of closed Beta's and honestly it plays a lot better than the Closed beta for BC2. Its been 5 months so I would assume that it plays much better!!
comments like this always make me laugh, because the betas for MC, BC and BC2 were also real betas by the same dev, but those betas didn't suck! and of course, they didn't get all that bad word of mouth because, well, they didn't suck!

i've heard the open beta is better from some people, but many still say it's not 'better enough' and i can't check for myself so i'm gonna pass.

DSmalls84

eternaLightness said:
There's really no gore in this game. Think CoD4 in terms of it I guess. Though I do remember when they showed some single player stuff, they sniped a guy and his head exploded. Probably won't be in the multiplayer mode. It is being done by two different teams.

When can we expect reviews? Hopefully they're pretty positive and will get more people interested in it.

Thanks for the input. I decided to take a chance and pre-order the PS3 version. Hopefully I'm not disappointed, but I liked Bad Company 2 and COD so it seems like a good fit.

Cheech said:
oh man, i've wanted the L1/L2 and R1/R2 swapped since BC1!

I waiting for what reviews will say about this. I know the general consensus and impressions from Gaffers who played the beta were not positive, but I want to make sure it wasn't all just a knee jerk reaction based on an early beta build.

Honestly, though, the timing of the release just doesn't sit well with me. I'm still playing Reach and I will picking up Black Ops in November since all my friends will be playing that. Unless the changes have been phenomenal, I'm not sure I can dedicate myself to a third mp FPS at the moment. I may pick it up just for the campaign, as that at least seems interesting.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
schennmu said:
Btw, does this game have perks? *ducks*
From what I could tell sifting through all the crap to get some decent info for the OP, the answer's no. It looks like alot of the focus is on the weapons and not the character. Sure, there's some visual stuff that you can play with, like skins and such, but nothing that's said anything like Cold Blooded, Commando, slight of hand, or anything like that, but we'll have to see when the game actually comes out...

faridmon

From what I have seen (Haven't played the Beta), The MP looks more like BC2 than MW2 which I adore.
severely excited for this game :D

I <3 DICE.

Wthermans

Banned
Probably going to pick up the game after it drops in price (or a GOTY edition releases with the DLC we all know is coming). Given how "on the fence" I am about the MP, I'm going to wait. Fun Open Beta, but I can't see myself dropping the funds of a full price game for it.

Yopis

On the fence right now didn't like the PS3 beta very much. Maybe if a few friends get the game I will jump on it don't know right now. Hope people that get this at launch are vocal.

sdornan

I was not impressed by the beta. It's basically Bad Company 2 without the vehicles, which is like a cupcake without the frosting.

It's a competent military shooter I suppose, but that's not enough anymore.

First, there are a lot of nit picky things in this game that annoy me:

1) "Matchmake" instead of "matchmaking" sounds stupid

2) Why does it need to show me a giant picture of the weapon that killed me every time I die?

3) I have to click "deploy" every time I respawn. Why not just auto-respawn me if I don't make a selection?

However, the worst part of the Battlefield and the Frostbite engine for me is that shooting things has never been satisfying for some reason. When I shoot at something in MoH it doesn't have the same kind of rewarding weight and feel that Modern Warfare 2 manages to pull off. Maybe it has something to do with a lack of reaction animations when you shoot at dudes. It's hard to pin down.

VASPER

Banned
sdornan said:
However, the worst part of the Battlefield and the Frostbite engine for me is that shooting things has never been satisfying for some reason. When I shoot at something in MoH it doesn't have the same kind of rewarding weight and feel that Modern Warfare 2 manages to pull off. Maybe it has something to do with a lack of reaction animations when you shoot at dudes. It's hard to pin down.

I'm in the same boat i feel that in Battlefield BC1@2 feels like shit when I'm shooting the guns, but MoH feels way better IMO. I only played about an hour of the game but i felt it was much tighter and much more rewarding than battlefield.

sdornan said:

I sort of agree with Battlefield, but Battlefield (as a game design choice) isn't as lethal as COD or MOH because it's so much larger, so it's an unfair comparison. MOH is very lethal and pretty satisfying.

I will say I'm extremely disappointed that DICE didn't learn from BC2 on how to do a UI/server browser. Is it really THAT difficult?

The Faceless Master said:
comments like this always make me laugh, because the betas for MC, BC and BC2 were also real betas by the same dev, but those betas didn't suck! and of course, they didn't get all that bad word of mouth because, well, they didn't suck!

i've heard the open beta is better from some people, but many still say it's not 'better enough' and i can't check for myself so i'm gonna pass.

The closed beta for BC2 (developed by DICE) was a horrible mess. This played better than that beta day 1. The 2nd beta for BC2 was much better, but the first one played horribly. If you weren't in it then you have no idea what I am talking about. It was bad.

Enosh

I like it, started plaiyng that objectives mode thingy and didn't realy like it, but when I switched to conquest I found it much more interesting and fun, so will stick to conquest and TDM once I get the game ^^

kuYuri

Rubenov said:
Computer noob here... how do I change the FOV?

Documents folder > EA Games > Medal of Honor MP Open Beta > open settings in Notepad > FOV should be towards the bottom of the file

I don't know what your resolution is, so I can't tell you what FOV you should try.

Persona7 said:
Is their a demo coming out on XBL?

Unlikely.

Enosh

I don't think I have ever seen a non clan match FPS game with that much smoke granades being thrown around :lol

Top Bottom