• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Related -- Do You Believe Everyone Has A Number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
8771990.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is really complicated.

I just know I'm way overweight.

Rahvar

I rate this thread a 4, just because how stupid the idea is. I rate the idea of rating a person or arbitrary numbers a 0.

Seriously? Have you ever loved someone? I don't look at my wife and think. Wow, I'm so lucky. She's a solid 8 and I'm a pleeb 6.
She's a 10 to me, why else would I have married her? People value different things and even when they value the same things they have different tastes. Women I find attractive a lot of other men propably don't. Someone maybe values stability higher than looks. Maybe someone is butt ugly and atrocious but his/her partner just wants an easy life with money.

Metrics for something as complex as a person, even more so when you have to consider two people in the equation? Nonsense.

Everyone has a number relative to you.

What some people would consider good qualities are not universal.

Trying to make a universal scale is both derogatory and futile.

OP, you are right in that we do subconsciously rate other people. But it's a lot more subjective than you make it out to be. This is why when talking with others we just give a single number, and it's a game, not a serious exercise.

Yes, people will consider each of those categories you've listed (and many more!!), but definitely do NOT weigh them equally as you have. This is highly subjective, depending on the person - including their personal dating history, and environment (think fish in pond analogy).

Maintenance Level: How much upkeep a woman requires to feel good about you, or the relationship. Also how stable her mood is and how well she is able to control her emotions. How easy she is to be around factors in as well. A "10" would be a woman who was very happy doing whatever you wanted to do, never/rarely complained or nagged you, gave you your space and respected your need for time alone. A "1" would be a woman who is very unstable emotionally, easily bored, very needy, and just generally a headache to date.

I have to imagine your personality score is a 1, OP.

Nista

I'm glad you aren't the omnipotent being running the universe as some sort of amusing simulation, OP. Cause your systems design needs some work.

Life's too short to come up with this nonsense. Just be yourself and treat all those other human beings with respect.

Nachos

I mean, breaking down your own characteristics so that you can better understand what deficits you can improve on can be good. Turning those into pure numbers and shoehorning that into four broad categories isn't the way to do it. Simplifying others by those same metrics is way worse, especially when three on the women's side just tell them to look pretty.

This feels like some proto-PUA bullshit. It's like you, weary of dating and frustrated with your lack of success, recognized that something wasn't working, but got help from the wrong place. As it gave marginally better results, your faith in it grew. Those ideas then got entrenched over the course of twenty years, and now you probably distill everyone into a number on some level.

The system makes sense because there's some truth to it, but it sounds like you take it to be the entire truth. And so, what you see as the foundations of attraction I see as a rickety crutch that I'm amazed hasn't collapsed yet.

Necron

Well, this is incredibly depressing to read on my morning commute. Then I read the 1st post and smiled again. I know what you're saying OP and I understand trying to rationally explain this with numbers somehow (as a scientist who looks at numbers all day, I'm even more inclined to agree than disagree with you). However, this concept of rating a human being just feels wrong on many levels and automatically feels like treating others as objects. Or to say it another way: the model is too simplistic to reach a conclusion if someone's in love or not.

That said, I'm single after my relationship of nearly four years ended and after half a year of picking myself up again, I've tried out online dating for the first time. I don't know if a numbers game is being played there but it does feel that way sometimes, in my opinion. It feels incredibly unnatural to me as a result perhaps.

It is silly to think that the preference of everybody is the same, which is what you are assuming by assigning ratings like this. Not only doesn't everybody agree on what those grades would be for a person, but also how significant each of those factors are and it is also missing other factors that may be incredibly important.

Now people with the same "grade" may just happen to be with each other. Which makes sense, because those are usually also the people that they interact the most with. You usually don't see a Fortune 500 CEO hanging around with a 7-11 clerk, they are often in different social circles. Makes sense don't date a whole lot outside of that.

Also half of the grade for a woman is looks and a quarter of it just sounds plain offensive, what the fuck?

OP is probably going to walk away from this wreck thinking "my uncomfortable truth was probably too controversial for snowflake GAF", missing the part where the whole thing was as stupid as it was serious.

Kyoufu

OP is probably going to walk away from this wreck thinking "my uncomfortable truth was probably too controversial for snowflake GAF", missing the part where the whole thing was as stupid as it was serious.

I like how the OP starts off by asking us to not reply with drivel and then follows it up with a wall of drivel.

Ceej

This is also sexist af with the way a woman's worthiness is categorized judged compared to a man's. Fuck this shit... all of it.

Does anyone really know anyone who rates people they know intimately? I thought you just did that when your describing a girl you met to your buddies.

WaterAstro

I think it's not right to have that kind of rating system. The more you get to know someone, the more beautiful they become.

I never judge by looks. Even an overweight person might have reasons for their looks, and maybe they need someone to support them to lose that weight.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I like crunching up complex personalities and the physiques of human beings into inconsequential and slightly offensive numbers.

So I'm a 2 billion.

OP if you think quantifying your feelings helps you better understand your emotions, go for it. I suppose you could turn that towards your love life, but are you really attempting to explain how couples are formed? Just keep it to your own feelings.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Also if you wanted to go max offensive, you should rate a prospective sexual partner a 1 or a 0. You can make the mental leap to figure out what it means. Since that's pretty much what your complicated rules amount to.

CloudWolf

And here I thought if you were going to question if everyone has a phone number.

This is some real Pick-up Artists shit.

Chuckie

I justed wanted to post in this trainwreck of a thread.

Also OP, I fear your personality score is dragging your average way down.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
I first reacted to how you thought looks were solely genetic, but then my jaw dropped when I got to the disparate men and women categories. TREAT WOMEN LIKE HUMAN BEINGS HOLY SHIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom