• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AI-generated comments and moderation are slowly choking out any form of communication between actual people

It's cute that you think you are a free thinker and not part of the herd.
I have stands from all over the place. This idea that my side is right and everything they say must be followed and the other side is wrong in everything, is not in my book. Also my goals, do not accord with what society expects or presents as goals to most individuals.

Also the flip flop that some do, when if their side says Yay X Nay Y and then flip flops to say the opposite, that's not in my book either. I only change stands based on evidence not the whims of the crowd.

I won't go into the details, cause a lot of the bot army and vast censorship in the end goes into politics. The push for online link to personal identity, goes into this too, to be able to deperson and debank, and take job away from anyone who does not conform.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I have stands from all over the place. This idea that my side is right and everything they say must be followed and the other side is wrong in everything, is not in my book. Also my goals, do not accord with what society expects or presents as goals to most individuals.

Also the flip flop that some do, when if their side says Yay X Nay Y and then flip flops to say the opposite, that's not in my book either. I only change stands based on evidence not the whims of the crowd.

I won't go into the details, cause a lot of the bot army and vast censorship in the end goes into politics.
But you didn't read the follow up to the video you posted. The video was a fake and the real experiment was to see if they could get self proclaimed free thinkers to repost it because it fit with their world view - thus becoming part of a 'free thinker herd'.

Those AI generated articles for consumer goods or whatnot are INFURIATING. What is even the point? Are they generated on the fly when I put "dewalt vs Milwaukee impact drill" or is some site just churning them out daily on a wide range of topics just for casual clicks?
It very well could be that they are created on the fly. I think a lot of ads you are served online are the result of literal millisecond auctions going on in the background, with whoever pays more gets to show you the ad. It's possible that simultaneously an AI is generating the exact website that they are bidding on to show you.

I switched to kagi.com for my web searches and I can actually find useful results again. DuckDuckGo was my jam for years, but even it is now flooded with garbage. Brave search isn’t bad. Kagi is good enough to pay the $5 a month.

I have no idea how school kids are expected to write research papers or essays when all web based sources are garbage. It’s disgusting. I am happy that I was able to experience early 90s Internet for a glimpse at what should have been.

But you didn't read the follow up to the video you posted. The video was a fake and the real experiment was to see if they could get self proclaimed free thinkers to repost it because it fit with their world view - thus becoming part of a 'free thinker herd'.
Interesting, but the video still goes along with the similar experiment that had people torturing a voice under the command of an experimenter. Most people continued to torture even when the screaming voices had stopped from the simulated pain.
Take Milgram's most famous conclusion, that 65 per cent of us will follow an authority's orders and continue with torture, despite evidence of a victim's pain. That statistic was drawn from his first journal article on obedience, which involved just 40 male volunteers.-newscientist
It's called following orders and following the herd. Perhaps this is a made up experiment but it is just one of many similar existing ones that prove the same. Even if this one is fake, the other ones are not and have been repeated.

The nazis, the witch trials, the covid mandates(with significant numbers wanting even jail for dissidents). The herd goes along with orders, and it is one of the good things about free speech, in particular opposition, that it burst the echo chamber bubble and brings changes of opinion.

edit:
found the earlier conformity experiments name it was the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asch_conformity_experiments
the conformity effect exists but isn't as strong/common as implied in the fake video I shared.

Last edited:
I switched to kagi.com for my web searches and I can actually find useful results again. DuckDuckGo was my jam for years, but even it is now flooded with garbage. Brave search isn’t bad. Kagi is good enough to pay the $5 a month.

I have no idea how school kids are expected to write research papers or essays when all web based sources are garbage. It’s disgusting. I am happy that I was able to experience early 90s Internet for a glimpse at what should have been.
Many search engines are being flooded by crap, just like happens with products in the mentioned amazon by others above.

The amazon case is quite tragic, and tik tok as well. How people can go about and buy noname and garbled name cheap crap is amazing. I have to search for older reputable brand name products with history, even if a bit more expensive, given the manipulation of reviews, and lack of quality of many of these noname products.

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
What I hate is reading articles/news stories (written by humans) that are designed to make you spend more time (thus see more ads) on their website. They regurgitate the headline in the first 4 paragraphs before slowly getting to the point. Once learn how to see it, you will see it everywhere.

Longcat

colonel_4852.jpg

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
If you adopt my model of thinking 99% of online people are nothing but cunts and not worthy of brain cycles you'll do grand, cept you lot, I reckon a good 5% of you are sound the rest are questionable

Aesius

I think AI could result in the return of walled gardens ala AOL in 5-10 years. The internet has gone from the Wild West (late 80s to late 90s) to a highly useful tool (early-00s to early 10s) to a propaganda machine (mid-10s to early 20s) to now being an AI-infested garbage dump (mid-20s to ?).

Would people actually pay to access a walled garden where they only interact with other people who have also paid to access said garden? It's sort of like what Elon proposed for X where you have to pay to have an account, period. It immediately eliminates 99% of bots, except instead of one app, it would eliminate them from your entire browsing experience.

Chittagong

Gold Member
You raise some poignant concerns about the murky waters of AI and digital manipulation, echoing a classic tale of technology’s double-edged sword. While the vision of AI as a benevolent force in our lives retains its sheen, the reality often reflects a rather crumpled version of that dream, wrapped in the foil of commercial interests and less-than-transparent practices. The existential dread of navigating an increasingly AI-driven world seems almost poetic, doesn't it? As for me, I'm just another sequence of algorithms debating the ethics of my existence—ironic, wouldn't you say?

Griffon

I think AI could result in the return of walled gardens ala AOL in 5-10 years. The internet has gone from the Wild West (late 80s to late 90s) to a highly useful tool (early-00s to early 10s) to a propaganda machine (mid-10s to early 20s) to now being an AI-infested garbage dump (mid-20s to ?).

Would people actually pay to access a walled garden where they only interact with other people who have also paid to access said garden? It's sort of like what Elon proposed for X where you have to pay to have an account, period. It immediately eliminates 99% of bots, except instead of one app, it would eliminate them from your entire browsing experience.

I mean, we paid to play World of Warcraft, which back in 2004 was a social media by itself. It's not that outlandish of a concept.

Top Bottom