• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon accused of using AI Generated artwork for the Fallout TV Show

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Cry me a fucking river.
AI is a massive time gain and it should be embraced and available for everyone for free forever.

Mathematician didn't cry when calculators happened.
Artists are trying to become a special protected class like entitled little fucks. If learning AI are made into a legal nightmare, this will endanger human progress greatly.

Calculators didn't replace human mathematicians.

Why would not using AI for art endanger human progress? I admit that AI has its uses in areas such as medicine and physics, but do you really want to live in a world where all novels, films, video games, music etc are made by AI rather than humans?

cireza

If you take a look at the red car, you can see the hand wheel inside the car (don't know how you call it) being at the opposite side of where the front lights are. Also the perspective of the rectangle on top of the car is totally wrong, unless it was meant to be set up diagonaly.

Edit: it was actually listed by OP, sorry didn't see it.

Last edited:
This is a really nice thing actually. Before you always had those fun find the differences puzzles comparing 2 images. Now you have a new game: Find the AI fuck ups. It’s actually pretty fun. The longer you stare, the more you find 🤣.

hyperbertha

WTF are you talking about dude? Who the fuck are those "experts" there's no magic in neural networks it's just linear algebra and matrices multiplications and it indeed works very closely of how our brain works that's the reason it is so good at doing things that normal programed software sucks at.

I know that for ignorant people like yourself AI seems so distant but believe me even people like you will be able to profit from it.

There are a LOT of extremely intelligent people working with open source models, meta decide to fuck with other companies and is sharing their knowledge with their Llamma models that are open source and have commercial license, stable diffusion and it's thousands of fine tunned models are all open source and have commercial license... You can generate vocies with eleventh labs(paid) or with Bark(free open source) and have all the rights for your creation as well...

Everything I mentioned can ran on a 12+gb gpu or even on CPU with a lot of ram all locally, there's no such a thing as "centralization" you guys are making fool of yourselves.
Experts are people who designed these systems in the first place. Besides from the very fact that a human doesn't need to look at thousands of images of a cat to identify a cat should clue you in on how these things are nothing like us
Open source models can't compete with big money closed source models. All the real money will go to the corporations like Google, open ai, meta etc
Also may I ask, what do you do for a living?

winjer

Gold Member
Calculators didn't replace human mathematicians.

Why would not using AI for art endanger human progress? I admit that AI has its uses in areas such as medicine and physics, but do you really want to live in a world where all novels, films, video games, music etc are made by AI rather than humans?

Before mechanical calculators, there were human calculators. As in people hired to just do mathematical calculations.
And when mechanical calculators appeared, they were fired.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
My guess is that we are going to have lot's of people pretending to have created something, when in reality, it was just some AI.
I can already imagine cases in courts where some scammer will try to defend that he created something IP, when in reality it was just a machine.

Yep. Discovery in IP copyright infringement cases is going to be an absolute shit show :) The plaintiff will have to provide evidence of how and when the 'original' work was created. Which, if a studio has claimed something was made by a human, and it wasn't, could lead them potentially open to contempt of court. Glorious :messenger_grinning_sweat: People will be testing every single new fucking thing the studios produce.

Experts are people who designed these systems in the first place. Besides from the very fact that a human doesn't need to look at thousands of images of a cat to identify a cat should clue you in on how these things are nothing like us
Open source models can't compete with big money closed source models. All the real money will go to the corporations like Google, open ai, meta etc
Funny story but they work exactly like you and other humans work. Nice example about the cat e.g.

You probably don’t remember but when you were a baby you probably have seen thousands of cats walking around somewhere and seen photos and illustrations of them loooong before you started to realize: hey that’s a cat.

Also fun fact: even though you don’t think so, machines are actually way more accurate in their recognition of images than you, and also they know much more about identifying the bird breeds etc etc etc than you do.

Yes generative ai makes mistakes still, but it’ll get better real fast.

hyperbertha

Funny story but they work exactly like you and other humans work. Nice example about the cat e.g.

You probably don’t remember but when you were a baby you probably have seen thousands of cats walking around somewhere and seen photos and illustrations of them loooong before you started to realize: hey that’s a cat.

Also fun fact: even though you don’t think so, machines are actually way more accurate in their recognition of images than you, and also they know much more about identifying the bird breeds etc etc etc than you do.

Yes generative ai makes mistakes still, but it’ll get better real fast.
Nonsense. How many Komodo dragons gave you seen? I've seen them two times, in pictures. Pretty sure I can identify them.
You are right in your last point, but again, only because they work nothing like us. Feed them millions of images and they store patterns into their infinite pool of memory. These thing are nothing like us and are purely data laundering machines that should be banned unless trained on permitted data.

Griffon

What do you do for a living?

…because I bet if AI threatened your job you’d be whining like a bitch.
I'd be fucking ecstatic to be able to direct an entire project by my lonesome rather than having to be a wage slave for some douchebag tasteless corporation.

Last edited:
Nonsense. How many Komodo dragons gave you seen? I've seen them two times, in pictures. Pretty sure I can identify them.
You are right in your last point, but again, only because they work nothing like us. Feed them millions of images and they store patterns into their infinite pool of memory. These thing are nothing like us and are purely data laundering machines that should be banned unless trained on permitted data.
I’m pretty sure if a neural network sees 2 pictures of Komodo dragons with the current amount of training you’ve had, it can also identify another Komodo.

If you feed an empty neural network the 2 images it probably doesn’t know what to do with it, just like your own brain when it was a baby.

Neural networks work exactly like a human brain, but much less efficient as of now so you need much more power to run it, but it also knows everything about everything which a human brain can’t even start to comprehend.

Also, generative ai is a separate ai from image recognition so there’s that. And a human possesses inferior versions of both in a single brain which makes us more effective for this moment. AI will catch up very soon though and in a year from now it’ll probably be better at doing everything than we can, except for physical stuff since they don’t have good bodies yet.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure if a neural network sees 2 pictures of Komodo dragons with the current amount of training you’ve had, it can also identify another Komodo.

Nah, it has no context of space or position so unless the third Komodo is in the same pose it wouldn’t have a clue what it was looking at, even if it was glaringly obvious to a human. It’s why AI needs millions of photos just to recognise hands, they are just big pixel calculators and have no intuition or logic behind them.

Scotty W

Gold Member
It is comical that y’all are discussing the ethics of companies saving time and money on our adult toy forum without a hint of irony.

K2D

Banned
There's no such a thing as "moral"...

Should "artists" pay compensation for all the movies, hqs, digital art they took inspiration from when they were training their drawing skills?

What about fan projects like RE remake and or that star wars fan movie that disney tried to stop few years ago? Should they pay to those companies for the right to generate new content inspired in a previous work?

AI generated content is new and transformative and use it is perfectly fine.

No, it's basically copy-paste with extra steps. There is nothing creative with AI. That is also why you get inbreeding in AI-networks.

AI do not work like human brains. They are not inherently creative. You're basically stealing other peoples work, with more, elaborate steps. I suspect we'll see (hopefully) new laws written and precedence made on this in the near future.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I'd be fucking ecstatic to be able to direct an entire project by my lonesome rather than having to be a wage slave for some douchebag tasteless corporation.

So, you're not going to say what you do for a living. How brave of you to cast judgement on somebody else's career and how it doesn't matter that AI will take their job, and not apply the same logic to yourself.

I used ChatGPT to write a press release last week. My degree is in English language. It did at least as good a job, if not better, than I would have done (I could have matched and probably bettered it, but I would not have put in the required effort)… Felt a bit dirty doing it, but got over it.

If we look at these advances as a way to free up the species for other pursuits they are great. If we use them to make ten people even richer and half the world hungry, homeless and feral that’s not going to be quite as pleasant an outcome. But we all know which option will be chosen :messenger_tears_of_joy:

xrnzaaas

I'm actually not that surprised. A show like Fallout will be super expensive to make. It would be more worrying in a show like Citadel where you can actually ask yourself how did they spend all that money.

Is it acceptable? No. At least check the art and either fix or reject the bad ones, because people will be noticing that stuff and reacting more negatively towards your show.

Im not surprised. If a company can cheap off, they will. As someone pointed earlier, even motherfucking Disney did, and as time passes and the systems improve it will be harder and harder to distinguish. It's sad for actual artists

shoegaze

Cant see what is the point of the piece. To shame companies into throwing money for job positions that are not that important anymore?

I bet tech people came up with these AI tools to get rid of creative departments around the world.

This should be a positive article actually.

Roberts

I think I would be against using AI for stuff like this in general, but it kind of fits with Fallout. In Fallout universe, companies would totally use AI for their ridiculous advertising.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
639a8e3dcfd7c.jpeg

Kadve

What if an "ai artist" generated the ai? I understand it's gonna be a weird transition but I don't think holding the big companies feet to the moral fire is going to be effective.

Ai will lower the bar for production across the board, independent devs will compete with AAA studios with tiny teams. I see it as a paradigm shift for the good. Top artist will still get plenty of work. It's the middling of the tech jobs that will have to adapt.
Do we have AI generated NFT's yet?

Roxkis_ii

Yeah, I think we can probably kiss computer related jobs good by bye. This train ain't stopping. The trades are always hiring tho. Things will need to be built or rebuilt.

chlorate

The AI that generated this could have been trained entirely on public domain images, especially since it’s supposed to look retro

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't think AI is going to lead to gazillions of job losses with no replacements like the doomers have been saying. AI can't create anything new, it can only (poorly, mostly) replicate that which has been made. I think after the initial surprise and amazement that came from DALL-E and the like, people were like "yea this art is pretty shit tbh." After only a few months of this people have started to intuitively figure out what shitty AI-generated stuff looks and reads like. I see this Amazon art and it shows me that yea, real artists are still going to have to be employed at these companies. This is just total garbage, 1/10 stuff, unacceptable. While Rings of Power showed me that Amazon really does not have any standards of quality whatsoever, so this is par for the course for them, companies will correctly see that having people on staff will be a creative and competitive advantage.

Along the same lines, I think AI will likely destroy all the content farm/aggregator type websites out there, but in reality those sites have no reason to exist and having AI replace poorly paid English majors who hate their lives is just a halfway step towards that. The sites making new content and new stuff will be fine. I think it will make a lot of professionals vastly more productive though, since they'll basically all have an assistant working for them 24/7. I used AI to write a SQL query that probably would have taken me many hours to figure out because I am not well-versed in SQL. So that let me move on to another task. Companies are not going to entrust mission critical operations to AI only, they'll need people to run and manage this stuff. It will mean that companies can do a LOT more in the same amount of time, similar to what happened when computers came onto the scene.

I think we always need to temper our emotions on this stuff. Like, when ATMs came on the scene and became very powerful, people thought bank tellers would disappear as a job. Well, believe it or not, more people work as bank tellers now than before ATMs. This stuff is very fluid and complicated. They're predicting again that bank tellers will be out of a job because of AI. We'll see.

Last edited:
I'm a child of the 80s, no amount of articles and information can convince me that poorly animated cyber skeletons won't be ripping me from my office desk and turning my asshole into a basketball hoop within the next 10 years.

Exede

So fuckin what? The ones having a Problem with this need to get a life ...

AI is changing a shit ton of things. It's normal.

Last edited:
Cry me a fucking river.
AI is a massive time gain and it should be embraced and available for everyone for free forever.

Mathematician didn't cry when calculators happened.
Artists are trying to become a special protected class like entitled little fucks. If learning AI are made into a legal nightmare, this will endanger human progress greatly.

100%. All the best artists will embrace using AI eventually. Just like how using digital tools/texture masks etc, was controversial at first but now industry standard. It saves a significant amount of time like you said, and time is money.

I understand, it's unavoidable, but we must consider the repercussions. People are losing jobs and experiencing reduced wages. We are eliminating jobs more quickly than we are creating new ones.

WTF again... No "expert" on this planet said the things you are claiming.

Dude this comparison is dumb and unrealistic no one is saying that AI is human what I've said is that it does in fact work LIKE a human brain.

Also humans have been "training" our brains for billions of years of evolution, even you can't name or easily identify a animal that you saw once.

Guys like you are e just like flat earth people... Seeking a truth that doesn't exists.

No, it's basically copy-paste with extra steps. There is nothing creative with AI. That is also why you get inbreeding in AI-networks.
WTF is this shit with you quoting yourself like what you said was some sort of truth.

AI don't copy shit... What are you're saying is non sense gibberish because that's not even how copy and paste works.

Dude do you even know what a computer is or how it works?

I understand, it's unavoidable, but we must consider the repercussions. People are losing jobs and experiencing reduced wages. We are eliminating jobs more quickly than we are creating new ones.

Jobs don't need to "be created" on the sense of planning creating new ones., jobs are created by demand.

FFS do you people even know how economics works?

Right now there's a gigantic demand for all sort of works that people can't do because they do not have the skills to do so, AI can RIGHT NOW help with that, people just need to stop being lazy, thinking that everything should be handed to them.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

WTF again... No "expert" on this planet said the things you are claiming.

Dude this comparison is dumb and unrealistic no one is saying that AI is human what I've said is that it does in fact work LIKE a human brain.

Also humans have been "training" our brains for billions of years of evolution, even you can't name or easily identify a animal that you saw once.

Guys like you are e just like flat earth people... Seeking a truth that doesn't exists.
Why are you acting so unhinged and insecure? Relax. You're not out profiting skilled workers thanks to ai.

brian0057

Banned
There's no such a thing as "moral"...

Should "artists" pay compensation for all the movies, hqs, digital art they took inspiration from when they were training their drawing skills?

What about fan projects like RE remake and or that star wars fan movie that disney tried to stop few years ago? Should they pay to those companies for the right to generate new content inspired in a previous work?

AI generated content is new and transformative and use it is perfectly fine.
You could've just said you don't know how both transformative works and fan projects work.

mrcroket

We have to destroy the machines! They are taking jobs away and many jobs are being lost! Said someone in the 19th century.

You could've just said you don't know how both transformative works and fan projects work.

Are you sure about that?

Ok, let's suppose that you are not a tech illiterate idiot parroting nonsense on the internet...

Can you tell me "WHERE WAS THIS IMAGE STOLE FROM?"

XXkGe0i.png

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
My word. AI is a very heated discussion here.

I believe AI has it's uses in fields such as medicine and physics. However, when we star to use AI to create art it becomes a bit of a slippery slope.

Right now we have AI creating art, music and even novels. In Max Tegmark's book, Life 3.0, he describes a hypothetical future where an AI is able to create a Hollywood animated film. The AI is so good at learning what humans like that the film becomes a massive world wide hit.

I think we're rapidly approaching a future where AI will get better at creating art than ourselves. It won't be real art, but as the AI will learn what humans like nobody will care how it's made. We'll eventually let AI create personal films, novels, games catered to our tastes. Want to see a true Star Wars sequel trilogy of your childhood dreams? An AI can knock it out in a few hours for you.

Sounds great in principle, but part of me is worried that we'll let AI govern our lives. We'll lose the ability to create our own art and therefore lose part of what makes us human. We'll end up like the humans in Wall-E. Just sitting around and consuming while AI and robots do everything for us. Husks of humanity.

Interesting, exciting and terrifying in equal measure.

Top Bottom