• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon accused of using AI Generated artwork for the Fallout TV Show

Holammer

There may be elements on AI in this image, but the wrinkles are there to simulate what happens when a paper billboard gets wet and dries. Weathered posters *is* a staple of the series. Even if it's AI generated? Chill out, it looks good enough.

I respect the talent of an artist over AI all day long but people have to stop denying what AI is capable of. More and more people are incorporating it in their work due to the speed process and while I do see these artifacts, it takes a pixel peeper to notice something like that. The guy zoomed in 200% to find this.

AI generated artwork is not going to stop, you might as well just accept it.

I, for one, am playing the first game of D&D with a character portrait that isn't just snagging something off of Google images, and going, "Eh, good enough."

I think it's the moral dilemma. Training ai on art without compensating the artists.

Personally I have no qualm with them using AI in digital promotions. It gives away the overall quality of the show.
There's no such a thing as "moral"...

Should "artists" pay compensation for all the movies, hqs, digital art they took inspiration from when they were training their drawing skills?

What about fan projects like RE remake and or that star wars fan movie that disney tried to stop few years ago? Should they pay to those companies for the right to generate new content inspired in a previous work?

AI generated content is new and transformative and use it is perfectly fine.

Also, expect to see people saying they don't GAF about these whining artists change their tune fairly quickly.

Once more industries start laying people off because Chat Gpt 5 represents as much of a leap forward as Chat Gpt 4 did it'll feel a bit more real for some people. For some it'll turn out that though it was unimaginable that your job could be done by a machine 3 weeks ago, now it's doing it better than you, so thanks, but we're closing the office. No, I don't know what people with your qualifications should do now. I hear Macdonald's is still employing people for now.

The level of dumbness of this comment is off the charts.

Generative AI is the best thing to ever happen to "common people" it gives everyone A Lot of power by leveling the skill playing field, in time we will see very small teams making games, anime, manga and even movies.

You will be able to write your own books and voice acting your own story's...

All those things are absolutely unimaginable for a single person/team to achieve without AI.

Stop this stupid fear mongering. Yeah a lot of jobs will be automated a lot of jobs have been automated in the last 100 years yet we only see prole like you complaining now, this process of automation is the reason we have cheap products today

Stop being so closed minded, companies doesn't exist to give people jobs they exists to make money! The reason people work for them is because the can't compete with them, but guess what? AI WILL CHANGE THAT .

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
People in support of this are fucking stupid.

It's one less way for people to make money in this already fucking hard ass economy. Pay the goddamn artists.

You'd all bitch and moan if a fucking AI replaced you and you had to find another skill to feed your family that you may not even be good enough at to get paid for. So back to square 1.

Stop being dumb. Amazon can afford to pay a fucking artist. Got me fucked up

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

The central boulevard with the pedestrians is also confusing. The sidewalk is as wide as the street
Europe:
Am I A Joke To You GIF

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The level of dumbness of this comment is off the charts.

Generative AI is the best thing to ever happen to "common people" it gives everyone A Lot of power by leveling the skill playing field, in time we will see very small teams making games, anime, manga and even movies.

You will be able to write your own books and voice acting your own story's...

All those things are absolutely unimaginable for a single person/team to achieve without AI.

Stop this stupid fear mongering. Yeah a lot of jobs will be automated a lot of jobs have been automated in the last 100 years yet we only see prole like you complaining now, this process of automation is the reason we have cheap products today

Stop being so closed minded, companies doesn't exist to give people jobs they exists to make money! The reason people work for them is because the can't compete with them, but guess what? AI WILL CHANGE THAT .

AI won't distribute power, it'll centralise it.

Also, your post is rudely written so I'm going to put you on ignore now. Life's too short to engage with people like you.

Seider

Not only im ok with AI used to create images like the one showed n this thread... i want more AI used everywhere.

So, watching as someone gets upset by AI being used is funny for me.

Last edited:

Three

Accused is a weird word to use here, like some crime has been committed or something. "Allegedly used AI" might be more appropriate. Goes to show how they're really cheaping out though and making nonsensical entertainment/media with it.

AI won't distribute power, it'll centralise it.

Also, your post is rudely written so I'm going to put you on ignore now. Life's too short to engage with people like you.
Ignorance is a bliss have a blast living in the stone age.

I don't even fell sorry for people like this... they will suffer so much in this new era and the sad part is that they are the ones bringing suffer from themselves

skit_data

Lol, the pictures in the OP have some wierd stuff going on.
This wave of AI generated art is leading to some new minimalistic surrealism era within art, it seems.

theclaw135

Banned
Cry me a fucking river.
AI is a massive time gain and it should be embraced and available for everyone for free forever.

Mathematician didn't cry when calculators happened.
Artists are trying to become a special protected class like entitled little fucks. If learning AI are made into a legal nightmare, this will endanger human progress greatly.

A medal for this post. If you have talent, carve out a niche where it excels at.

Should scribes cry the printing press replaced them?

Last edited:

hyperbertha

There's no such a thing as "moral"...

Should "artists" pay compensation for all the movies, hqs, digital art they took inspiration from when they were training their drawing skills?

What about fan projects like RE remake and or that star wars fan movie that disney tried to stop few years ago? Should they pay to those companies for the right to generate new content inspired in a previous work?

AI generated content is new and transformative and use it is perfectly fine.
To say ai learns like humans is a ridiculous bad faith comparison, debunked by experts multiple times. This is just data laundering by corporations, making clones of you so they can undercut you and sell it off.
And this does the opposite of what you claim, makes the playing field even more uneven. If it enhances you it enhances corporations 100 fold. You still can't compete. And they will just have surplus money to market their product 2x, further crushing you.
No corp should be allowed to take human copyrighted data and use it to create competing ais.

People in support of this are fucking stupid.

It's one less way for people to make money in this already fucking hard ass economy. Pay the goddamn artists.

You'd all bitch and moan if a fucking AI replaced you and you had to find another skill to feed your family that you may not even be good enough at to get paid for. So back to square 1.

Stop being dumb. Amazon can afford to pay a fucking artist. Got me fucked up

Its not about affording, its about TIME taken. If the artist is popular, he/she has a waiting list, they not gonna wait for some perfectionist to find time for them and fit them in his/hers schedule. You are thinking of AI all wrong, like its political. Sure some jobs get lost due to this but AI has helped me speed up my project presentations, cover letters, CVs, ideas for scripts, yu name it. Now all of a sudden artists are an endangered species somehow lol. There used to be car factories, men manually assembling each car. Now we dont but we have 500 different brands and you have an ability to just walk into a car dealer and pick a car you want on the same day. Because of automated and fast work.

If you are good at your field and made a name for yourself, you will continue to exist. What I see most on YT is absolutely average artists claiming they are "pro" and then talking about AI while their own work is like stick figures. Also this show is gonna be on par with Twisted Metal, this isnt Marvel making a new avengers and they decided to use AI to cut costs. But even so, if you do follow VFX, most artists love the fact that AI has rendered or put together something much faster then they ever could. Its literally removing boring tasks for us to do and just get stuff done. AI can write code, I still see Apple and Google with tons of staff, why if the AI can do everything? Because it cant and you cant just make a perfect movie using only AI but assets and other details, absolutely use it.

Knightime_X

I think it's the moral dilemma. Training ai on art without compensating the artists.

Personally I have no qualm with them using AI in digital promotions. It gives away the overall quality of the show.
How come AI gets shit on for transformative work, but music does it deliberately, it's totally fine?

killatopak

While I understand people having issues with AI art, it's not what's making me irritated.

It's the severe lack of quality that goes through that's my problem. It's not like they're not noticeable. Shit just reeks half hearted work. I'm a FO fan so this is doubly worse.

I see the TLOU adaptation and regardless if you liked it or not, you can tell the producers worked their ass off to make set and props look amazing.

This is just disappointing really. It's the little things that clue you in that shows how invested the people who made a piece of work. The budget while important isn't the end all for it. Just look at the sets, props and cgi of LotR trilogy versus Rings of Power. That's 300m budget vs 1 billion budget.

Last edited:
Dumb uninformed comment

WTF are you talking about dude? Who the fuck are those "experts" there's no magic in neural networks it's just linear algebra and matrices multiplications and it indeed works very closely of how our brain works that's the reason it is so good at doing things that normal programed software sucks at.

I know that for ignorant people like yourself AI seems so distant but believe me even people like you will be able to profit from it.

There are a LOT of extremely intelligent people working with open source models, meta decide to fuck with other companies and is sharing their knowledge with their Llamma models that are open source and have commercial license, stable diffusion and it's thousands of fine tunned models are all open source and have commercial license... You can generate vocies with eleventh labs(paid) or with Bark(free open source) and have all the rights for your creation as well...

Everything I mentioned can ran on a 12+gb gpu or even on CPU with a lot of ram all locally, there's no such a thing as "centralization" you guys are making fool of yourselves.

nashman

First few games /tv shows/movies that do this will be shit on/backlash then we will forget and move on and it will be the norm from now till singularity!

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Also, expect to see people saying they don't GAF about these whining artists change their tune fairly quickly.

Once more industries start laying people off because Chat Gpt 5 represents as much of a leap forward as Chat Gpt 4 did it'll feel a bit more real for some people. For some it'll turn out that though it was unimaginable that your job could be done by a machine 3 weeks ago, now it's doing it better than you, so thanks, but we're closing the office. No, I don't know what people with your qualifications should do now. I hear Macdonald's is still employing people for now.

If you lose your current job because of AI, there's not much point in learning how to code because AI is better at that, too.

DonJorginho

Banned
Cry me a fucking river.
AI is a massive time gain and it should be embraced and available for everyone for free forever.

Artists are trying to become a special protected class like entitled little fucks. If learning AI are made into a legal nightmare, this will endanger human progress greatly.
Would rather be an "entitled little fuck" than a corporate boot licking piece of shit.

It's all funny to laugh at people losing their incomes/job opportunities until it happens to you, no-one is disputing the benefits of AI and the ingenuity of it, but using situations like this to champion it when it's just multi billion dollar corporations finding ways to not pay their workforce the bare minimum (a living wage) shows you out to be someone with hollow morals and with an enormous amount of naivety.

Cry me a fucking river.

Thank Hades there's still human beings with brains nowadays.

Those people want their jobs to be protected at all costs... We never saw they say anything about the large amount of blue collar jobs that have been automated on the last g 150 years.

They are so lazy and dumb that they can't grasp all the amazing and empower possibities that those new type of technologies can bring to their professions.

Kikorin

Is pretty insane what AI have accomplished in just some months, in a couple of years will be completely impossible to understand which works is made by humans and which one by AI.

I think people that works in creative fields have to start accept this and integrate AI in their workflow. I'm a videomaker and video editor and I already know my job as it is today will never exists in like 10 years, so better start understand how AI tools can help and use them, instead try to fight them.

Elysium44

Banned
How many people worked as mathematicians before the calculator came along?

Is this a comparable situation?

A few months ago, certainly a few years ago, people could have expected to dedicate themselves to acquiring a set of skills that they could use to create an income, a life, etc. and about 15 minutes after Chat Gpt 4 came along, it's all worthless because the richest businesses in the world want to squeeze the most profit out of everything at any cost, as long as the billionaires have a few more cents in their accounts that they'll never spend it'll all be worthwhile.

Instead of having some empathy or compassion for your fellow man, suddenly wondering how they'll pay their mortgage or feed their family, it's time to take the side of the cunts who wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire if it meant they'd make a single cent less that year.

Nicely done.

People have had to deal with losing jobs through technological progress for centuries, your complaints are nothing new. Why should 'artists' be a special case? Unlike other jobs which were made obsolete, artists don't farm the fields or produce clothes or do other essential tasks for humanity's survival.

I actually had a dream a while ago where AI had gotten so good that anyone could use it to reliably generate entire books, movies, shows, games and music albums on demand. Like, actually good ones.

I kind of want to see that happen, just because the same studios and companies using AI to avoid paying artists now would probably be coming up with all sorts of reasons why it's bad and why the public shouldn't have access to it.

Hudo

Man, that guy must have a pretty boring life.

So fucking what if they use AI? It's a tool they can use. If that annoys you, you should also complain about artists using Photoshop.

It all depends on how well you use it.

winjer

Gold Member
There is one big issue with using AI to create any type of art. And that is they are not copyrightable.
This means any one can use it and there is no protection for the author.
We have already seen a few legal cases, with judges ruling out against AI material.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
There is one big issue with using AI to create any type of art. And that is they are not copyrightable.
This means any one can use it and there is no protection for the author.
We have already seen a few legal cases, with judges ruling out against AI material.

I‘m very much looking forward to people on EBay/Etsy recreating and selling loads of products based on stuff made by movie companies using AI - and those cunts not being able to do a damn thing about it.

I wonder how long the great AI revolution will last when that happens.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I‘m very much looking forward to people on EBay/Etsy recreating and selling loads of products based on stuff made by movie companies using AI - and those cunts not being able to do a damn thing about it.

I wonder how long the great AI revolution will last when that happens.

My guess is that we are going to have lot's of people pretending to have created something, when in reality, it was just some AI.
I can already imagine cases in courts where some scammer will try to defend that he created something IP, when in reality it was just a machine.

Top Bottom