• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon accused of using AI Generated artwork for the Fallout TV Show

Draugoth

Gold Member
Amazon recently revealed that its Fallout TV show will begin streaming in 2024 by tweeting a 1950s-looking postcard from Los Angeles, California with Vault Boy giving the thumbs up. Upon closer inspection, fans have noticed a lot of weird anomalies that have some thinking it might actually be AI-generated.

The tweet’s replies were filled with observations of strange wrinkles in the art that make it seem an awful lot like AI may have had a hand in making it, or at least someone who’s very sloppy with Photoshop.

First, there’s the palm tree in front of the yellow building that’s clearly disjointed.

1c9173a8df44d51b2a2ee87c9dbbe9cc.jpg

Then there’s the woman’s legs on the left. She has three of them and one disappears into some white flowers.

aa4f03529104e901a21f501ef1323f1f.jpg

The red taxi near the front is all backwards. The headlights and hood are in the rear, while the steering wheel is in the front.

1668e1e27fdcecf52c75db72d852e7fb.jpg

The central boulevard with the pedestrians is also confusing. The sidewalk is as wide as the street, and then there are cars on the other side of it that are going in the same direction.

348aa96df746d346722853fa6b57bf72.jpg

Plus, as you go further into the background, the cars get messier and messier, and appear to just be alternating patterns of blue and red like they were stacked on top of one another and then stretched into the horizon.

b9dadb466a0a07d31e7c8803cbf2fb02.jpg

It’s not hard to find other suspicious deficiencies, too.

“I’ve been staring at this picture for quite a while and still people find new weird stuf. Also there’s still people saying it’s not AI...” Even if it’s not AI it’s still not great. To Kenney’s original point, it reeks of a company cheaping out instead of paying talented people to do what they’re good at.

“It’s a shame that Amazon took the cheapest route by generating the artwork without even taking the time to do any sort of quality control,” Kenney commented to Kotaku.

“I’m sure a lot of artists would’ve absolutely loved the opportunity to do the art for this. There’s a long history of film and TV adaptations that didn’t pay enough respect to their source material, but I think generating art using AI is the most disrespectful thing that could be done. It’s the lowest of effort, it’s literally not doing any effort.”

Last edited:

Portugeezer

I think it's the moral dilemma. Training ai on art without compensating the artists.

Personally I have no qualm with them using AI in digital promotions. It gives away the overall quality of the show.
Every artist is inspired by art they've seen. AI the same.

What is bad IMO is in just a short amount of years, AI is already good enough to end careers which takes people decades.

Griffon

Cry me a fucking river.
AI is a massive time gain and it should be embraced and available for everyone for free forever.

Mathematician didn't cry when calculators happened.
Artists are trying to become a special protected class like entitled little fucks. If learning AI are made into a legal nightmare, this will endanger human progress greatly.

Last edited:

intbal

After Microsoft allowed Paramount to rape their flagship franchise, I have no confidence in any live action versions of Microsoft IP.

Brock2621

Amazon recently revealed that its Fallout TV show will begin streaming in 2024 by tweeting a 1950s-looking postcard from Los Angeles, California with Vault Boy giving the thumbs up. Upon closer inspection, fans have noticed a lot of weird anomalies that have some thinking it might actually be AI-generated.

The tweet’s replies were filled with observations of strange wrinkles in the art that make it seem an awful lot like AI may have had a hand in making it, or at least someone who’s very sloppy with Photoshop.

First, there’s the palm tree in front of the yellow building that’s clearly disjointed.

1c9173a8df44d51b2a2ee87c9dbbe9cc.jpg

Then there’s the woman’s legs on the left. She has three of them and one disappears into some white flowers.

aa4f03529104e901a21f501ef1323f1f.jpg

The red taxi near the front is all backwards. The headlights and hood are in the rear, while the steering wheel is in the front.

1668e1e27fdcecf52c75db72d852e7fb.jpg

The central boulevard with the pedestrians is also confusing. The sidewalk is as wide as the street, and then there are cars on the other side of it that are going in the same direction.

348aa96df746d346722853fa6b57bf72.jpg

Plus, as you go further into the background, the cars get messier and messier, and appear to just be alternating patterns of blue and red like they were stacked on top of one another and then stretched into the horizon.

b9dadb466a0a07d31e7c8803cbf2fb02.jpg

It’s not hard to find other suspicious deficiencies, too.

“It’s a shame that Amazon took the cheapest route by generating the artwork without even taking the time to do any sort of quality control,” Kenney commented to Kotaku.

Huh? How is this newsworthy? It’s not wrong…

Almost every industry is going to use AI in some way in the future.

What is bad IMO is in just a short amount of years, AI is already good enough to end careers which takes people decades.
It sucks but it's a part of life. People said the same shit about computers when they first became popular and automated countless jobs. It's ridiculous for a company be forced to pay people when they are not needed. In the long run, all it does is hinder that companies potential growth and inability to survive

Last edited:

sachos

Get used to headlines like this, it will get harder and harder to ignore as AI keeps getting better in every domain, not just art.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
How many people worked as mathematicians before the calculator came along?

Is this a comparable situation?

A few months ago, certainly a few years ago, people could have expected to dedicate themselves to acquiring a set of skills that they could use to create an income, a life, etc. and about 15 minutes after Chat Gpt 4 came along, it's all worthless because the richest businesses in the world want to squeeze the most profit out of everything at any cost, as long as the billionaires have a few more cents in their accounts that they'll never spend it'll all be worthwhile.

Instead of having some empathy or compassion for your fellow man, suddenly wondering how they'll pay their mortgage or feed their family, it's time to take the side of the cunts who wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire if it meant they'd make a single cent less that year.

Nicely done.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Get used to headlines like this, it will get harder and harder to ignore as AI keeps getting better in every domain, not just art.
Also, expect to see people saying they don't GAF about these whining artists change their tune fairly quickly.

Once more industries start laying people off because Chat Gpt 5 represents as much of a leap forward as Chat Gpt 4 did it'll feel a bit more real for some people. For some it'll turn out that though it was unimaginable that your job could be done by a machine 3 weeks ago, now it's doing it better than you, so thanks, but we're closing the office. No, I don't know what people with your qualifications should do now. I hear Macdonald's is still employing people for now.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I think we are going to see some major issues arise from job loss though.

Not really amazon's problem, but it's also an understandably uncomfortable topic.

My consulting firm basically is saying the latest belief in big corporate places is we won't need anywhere near as many tech folks, and probably very soon. Those are high paying jobs being erased, and they can probably offer those that remain less and less money as well.

Altering the workforce like that doesn't just magically re-balance itself especially when we are talking about high paying jobs.

This also just stems from consolidation. Swallowed up companies always end up with less workers. And eventually once a company can't grow it's userbase/customerbase anymore, they can't just give up and go "Ok we've reached our peak." They have to optimize, optimize, optimize. That means paying less people to do more things.

What's the solution?

I dunno. Not my problem for now either lol

dotnotbot

I see people are already fine with mediocrity AI brings and don't see anything wrong with their animated movie characters having thrid leg or sixth finger here and there. This time it's a teaser postcard, next time it's some scenes or episodes or whole shows looking like uninspired buggy ass.

Probably the dumbest analogy one could come up with. Completely misses the point.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I think it's the moral dilemma. Training ai on art without compensating the artists.

Personally I have no qualm with them using AI in digital promotions. It gives away the overall quality of the show.
Yeah, if they are so cheap they can't put together a decent promo poster, just wait till you see the actual show, lol.

Goalus

"accused" 🤣😆😂
They should also let an AI write the script/screenplay if they want to have a better outcome than the LotR show.

Last edited:

AI has no concept of inspiration. It is taking multiple art pieces and splicing them together into something that appears as new, much like how someone would do a photobash in photoshop or a music mashup on youtube:

Except the way it works is a bit more clever and deceitful so that it's not too obvious which parts it took from which pieces. Even after saying all of this, I'm not against the usage and growth of AI in many capacities. I'm more against the people who want to use AI as shortcut over paying other people for hard work. Human greed ruins a lot of cool ideas.

HoodWinked

On one hand ai generated artwork is only going to get better and it will be utilized more and more.

But on the other hand what I can't stand is how Amazon preaches non-stop about social causes and equity, horse shit. Just STFU and spare the grandstanding about how you're so moral while actively fucking over employees and eliminating the need for them.

K2D

Banned

Well, if you're the entrepreneur type as opposed to the creative type, I can understand why you would defend this.

AI do not work like human brains. They are not inherently creative. You're basically stealing other peoples work, with more, elaborate steps. I suspect we'll see (hopefully) new laws written and precedence made on this in the near future.

What if an "ai artist" generated the ai? I understand it's gonna be a weird transition but I don't think holding the big companies feet to the moral fire is going to be effective.

Ai will lower the bar for production across the board, independent devs will compete with AAA studios with tiny teams. I see it as a paradigm shift for the good. Top artist will still get plenty of work. It's the middling of the tech jobs that will have to adapt.

Top Bottom