• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: Fire Emblem Warriors First Look/Analysis

-shadow-

Performance on the WiiU was pretty much always just under that 30fps line which I didn't mind, but the final couple of chapters were really chugging along. Any improvement is very welcome!

WonderzL

Banned
what is this render from? lol

hqdefault.jpg

Edit: lmao did they just google fire emblem warriors and took anything that was there

Ultimadrago

dark puts them down so softly in videos. It makes me wish their posts were half as pleasant. lol

On the video, yeah from the E3 footage alone Fire Emblem Warriors' presentation looked rather underwhelming. I know it's early and I hope there is much to be improved (including incorporated elements from Fire Emblem to massage the tired, tired musou formula), but I'm not holding my breath.

On the video, yeah from the E3 footage alone Fire Emblem Warriors' presentation looked rather underwhelming. I know it's early and I hope there is much to be improved (including incorporated elements from Fire Emblem to massage the tired, tired musou formula), but I'm not holding my breath.

They did really well with Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2, I was hoping FE:W would have gotten the same tlc. It doesn't look bad, but I do need to see more to be convinced Omega Force didn't just phone this one in

Rodin

Slightly?

1080p-900p vs 720p
Better frame rate, although not perfect
Better character models
More detailed environments
Better attack animations
Better lighting (which wasn't mentioned, but was pretty apparent from the footage)

That sounds like a respectable leap, especially if they can improve performances and make the drops to 900p less common. Still a bit of a shame that the reveal footage was in engine and not exactly how the game looks.

The game looks so washed out also, hyrule warriors was bright and the colours popped
Wat

CLaddyOnFire

Neo Member
Did they detail anything on Handheld mode? 720p/30fps or is there a bump in framerate? I'd imagine 720p with a more stable 30fps than the docked 1080p's might be realistic.

CronoShot

Honestly, 1080p (even dynamic) along with improved visuals and slightly improved framerate over Hyrule Warriors is about as much as you can reasonably expect for this, I think.

Too bad it doesn't use the new Dynasty Warriors 9 engine, but oh well.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
dark puts them down so softly in videos. It makes me wish their posts were half as pleasant. lol

I try not to be too critical in previews since tech stuff can change for launch. If those issues are not addressed, though, I'll be much harsher on it at release.

Rodin

Did they detail anything on Handheld mode? 720p/30fps or is there a bump in framerate? I'd imagine 720p with a more stable 30fps than the docked 1080p's might be realistic.
That just happened with Zelda at launch and maybe another game. Titles performing better in handheld mode is not the norm, and it shouldn't be. I personally expect comparable performances when undocked at 720p with possibly a dynamic res if they don't lock it at 1080p when docked (unless dynamic res when docked isn't related to suboptimal bandwidth utilization, in that case portable should be fine at 720p).

I try not to be too critical in previews since tech stuff can change for launch. If those issues are not addressed, though, I'll be much harsher on it at release.
Well the game is already much better than any musou that isn't on current gen consoles while also having less shitty performances.

I'd rather have the game run at 720p in docked mode if it would give us 60fps :-(

1080p is nice, but not a priority in musou games.

At its current stage this comes off as extremely rough to me. I can only hope for poeple that want to play this game, that it runs at a consistent 30 at release. They should really quarter res that alpha or reduce the resolution to stop the constant drops.

Curious if the references to DQ Heroes is still referring to the demo, which some have said performed worse than the retail release? Understand is so, but curious.

Glad it's an improvement over Hyrule Warriors and at this point there's no reason to expect great performance from a musuo game. Hopefully the new engine they reference will allow them much better performance.

dark10x

Curious if the references to DQ Heroes is still referring to the demo, which some have said performed worse than the retail release? Understand is so, but curious.

Glad it's an improvement over Hyrule Warriors and at this point there's no reason to expect great performance from a musuo game. Hopefully the new engine they reference will allow them much better performance.
The retail release of DQ Heroes is still pretty bad. The improvement is marginal at best and ultimately worse than Fire Emblem Warriors.

Still, hopefully they can whip this into shape by release and nail down that frame-rate.

Gitaroo

John, is DF going to take a look at the new uncharted game? I believe SIEE just uploaded the 4k gameplay video. Curious if the game is still 1440p.

Tohsaka

It's a shame that the Warriors game did not aim for 60fps anymore like the old ones on the PS2.

A lot of them are. Pirate Warriors 3 is 60FPS on PS4, I believe Berserk is on PS4 Pro, Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 are 60FPS on PS4 as is Fate/Extella (not officially a musou, but same kind of game).

The visuals of the game are weird to me. While the detail is clearly better than Hyrule Warriors, something about it actually makes it look less appealing to me. Maybe it's the colour palette? Hyrule looked so much lusher and more vibrant.

EDarkness

The retail release of DQ Heroes is still pretty bad. The improvement is marginal at best and ultimately worse than Fire Emblem Warriors.

Still, hopefully they can whip this into shape by release and nail down that frame-rate.

Those things have to be important for them to really tackle them and based on their track record, I don't think it's an important factor for them at all. I guess we'll see when the final game comes out, but I don't think anyone should hold their breath on this.

Doesn't Gust's Nights of Azure 2 use the same engine as these games after KT took them over? I hope that doesnt end up in an unpolished state either.

dark10x

Honestly, I'm starting to feel that just thinning out the crowds and going for 60fps would yield a better game. Tighten up the combat system, focus on smaller groups and it could work.

I captured that Samurai Warriors footage yesterday for the video and it was immediately apparent that, while it was much uglier, the game just PLAYS much better. The high frame-rate and weirdly smoother character movement makes for a more pleasant experience.

Fire Emblem Warriors is probably the ugliest and most boring Switch release of the year.
Looks like it's using HW's assets and just running better since it's on Switch but I was expecting it to go for a more colorful art style like with Legends so I'm shocked it's even less colorful than the original Warriors.
Hope if Nintendo gives them the reigns to make another crossover title that they at least try to go for that new engine...though I think I'm set for Nintendo x Musou titles for several years
Honestly, I'm starting to feel that just thinning out the crowds and going for 60fps would yield a better game. Tighten up the combat system, focus on smaller groups and it could work.

I captured that Samurai Warriors footage yesterday for the video and it was immediately apparent that, while it was much uglier, the game just PLAYS much better. The high frame-rate and weirdly smoother character movement makes for a more pleasant experience.
Yeah, probably. Currently they made it boring to fight thousands of enemies...not sure how you do that. Tighter combat would be much more appreciated than whatever this mess is supposed to be

I never played a fire emblem games and was always intrigued since Super Smash Beothers Melee.

Would this game on the Switch be a good place to start??

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I never played a fire emblem games and was always intrigued since Super Smash Beothers Melee.

This game isn't very representing of FE as a series, so I would recommed looking at Awakening instead if you have a 3DS.

If you like Warriors titles then this should be up your alley though

Anteo

This game plys nothing like fire emblem games and it most likely expects you to know the characters to apreciate the fanservice.

Its just a musou game. So no.

Richie

It's a spinoff with wildly different gameplay from the main games; a proper Fire Emblem is coming to Switch next year. In the meantime I'd recommend Awakening on the 3DS. Perfect for newcomers, enjoyed it tons.

Zedark

This isn't a Fire Emblem game as much as it is a Dynasty Warriors game with a Fire Emblem skin. A good point of entry is any of the mainline games, so you can go to the 3ds or you can wait for next year for the new mainline Fire Emblem game on Switch.

Top Bottom