• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lenovo Legion Go has quietly turned into a worthy Steam Deck competitor

Chiggs

Back in December of last year, I made a thread that was highly critical of the ROG Ally, which is a piece of rushed-to-market shit with numerous flaws, including a dealbreaker SD card thermal issue which kills both the reader and the card itself. After spending a week with the platform, and suffering through its awful setup process, I decided to return it for a Steam Deck OLED, which is, of course, not as powerful, but functions near-flawlessly and provides a fantastic user experience.

At the same time, however, I also ordered the Lenovo Legion Go, knowing that I could just return it to Best Buy if I didn't like it. After spending a day with it, I definitely decided that I didn't like it. Like the ROG Ally, it also had a terrible setup process and getting shit to work was more trouble than it was worth. I was constantly having to fiddle with things to the point where it was becoming ridiculous. It's also gi-fucking-normous.

Anyway, this past Saturday, I spotted an open box 1TB Legion Go at Best Buy for $599.99; the reason for the markdown was that it was missing the charger. :messenger_grinning_squinting: Being a sucker for handhelds and marveling at a $150.00 discount for a missing charger, I scooped it up and went home to give it a second chance.

I'm not going to issue a bunch of flowery hyperbole that makes you wonder if this post is being sponsored by Lenovo, but I'll say definitively that what I experienced back in December is a far cry from where the device is now. It's stable, battery life is better, Legion Space performs adequately, and that system shortcut menu with all the necessary tweaks and configs is SOOOOOO much better than it used to be. Whereas the ROG Ally is only getting worse, Lenovo's machine seems to be improving because of a dedicated development team that listens to the community.

It's not entirely perfect...the speakers still suck, you'll occasionally run into bullshit like this, and it's still running Windows 11, but I can't deny the fact that things have improved substantially since I last used the device.

Do I think you should get one of these over a Steam Deck? No, probably not. The Steam Deck OLED is a fantastic machine that does so much right and has better ergonomics, but if you want a handheld that has more OOOMPH, doesn't have any real restrictions as to what can be installed, and has less hoops to jump through for emulation, then the Legion Go might just be what you're looking for.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I wiped out Windows and installed Bazzite Steam OS on it. It's fine, but it still can't take advantage of the xtra power it has over the SteamDeck

R3TRODYCE

I didn’t enjoy my Steam deck so I gave it to my wife but I’m enjoying my Ally. I didn’t even give the Legion a glance but maybe I should have after reading the op.

Working Social Media GIF by Desus & Mero

Chiggs

ROG Ally is very stable now days and from what I have seen their software experience is still better.

Gamer's Nexus is starting to notice hardware failures popping up from their units, leading to questions about its overall durability. I timestamped the video in my post where Steve discusses it.

Cyberpunkd

It is a handheld that is unable to execute its advertised functions I.e. gaming with high resolution and high fps.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Back in December of last year, I made a thread that was highly critical of the ROG Ally, which is a piece of rushed-to-market shit with numerous flaws, including a dealbreaker SD card thermal issue which kills both the reader and the card itself. After spending a week with the platform, and suffering through its awful setup process, I decided to return it for a Steam Deck OLED, which is, of course, not as powerful, but functions near-flawlessly and provides a fantastic user experience.

At the same time, however, I also ordered the Lenovo Legion Go, knowing that I could just return it to Best Buy if I didn't like it. After spending a day with it, I definitely decided that I didn't like it. Like the ROG Ally, it also had a terrible setup process and getting shit to work was more trouble than it was worth. I was constantly having to fiddle with things to the point where it was becoming ridiculous. It's also gi-fucking-normous.

Anyway, this past Saturday, I spotted an open box 1TB Legion Go at Best Buy for $599.99; the reason for the markdown was that it was missing the charger. :messenger_grinning_squinting: Being a sucker for handhelds and marveling at a $150.00 discount for a missing charger, I scooped it up and went home to give it a second chance.

I'm not going to issue a bunch of flowery hyperbole that makes you wonder if this post is being sponsored by Lenovo, but I'll say definitively that what I experienced back in December is a far Cry from where the device is now. It's stable, battery life is better, Legion Space performs adequately, and that system shortcut menu with all the necessary tweaks and configs is SOOOOOO much better than it used to be. Whereas the ROG Ally is only getting worse, Lenovo's machine seems to be improving because of a dedicated development team that listens to the community.

It's not entirely perfect...the speakers still suck, you'll occasionally run into bullshit like this, and it's still running Windows 11, but I can't deny the fact that things have improved substantially since I last used the device.

Do I think you should get one of these over a Steam Deck? No, probably not. The Steam Deck OLED is a fantastic machine that does so much right and has better ergonomics, but if you want a handheld that has more OOOMPH, doesn't have any real restrictions as to what can be installed, and has less hoops to jump through for emulation, then the Legion Go might just be what you're looking for.

I haven't had a chance to try it and I like the idea of the bigger screen, but you can pry the oled from my hands with great difficulty.
How would emulation be easier? Steam deck emulation is super easy these days......

Topher

Gold Member
I owned one for a little while and, like you, returned it. I thought it was fine. Big screen was nice, but I prefer the SD OLED. As you say, horrible sound. Also just did not like the Legion Space software at all. But maybe that has changed. I'm pretty settled in with Steam Deck as my handheld, but really I don't think folks could go wrong with Legion Go or Rog Ally. Just stay awy from that MSI shit. lol

Poppyseed

I love my rog ally.... shrugs
Yep, me too. I don't use the SD Card slot, and aside from some crappy software woes at launch (long since fixed), it's a far more performant device than the Steam Deck in any guise. The biggest weakness of the Ally, though, is easily the craptastic battery life. It's an abomination. Thankfully I play plugged in 99% of the time, or I use a power bank, but good grief, the battery life is horrific.

That said, the Ally with the Skull & Co grip is TIER 1 gaming.

Chiggs

I haven't had a chance to try it and I like the idea of the bigger screen, but you can pry the oled from my hands with great difficulty.
How would emulation be easier? Steam deck emulation is super easy these days......

Well, you don't need to boot into Linux. And you can simply install any emulator you want on Windows. Steam Deck is fine for emulation...it just takes a little extra effort.

rm082e

I own all three, and the Legion Go by far has been my most played. The increased screen size just trumps everything the Steamdeck and Ally have to offer.

I kind of felt like that would be the case for me. I like my Steam Deck and it's not worth replacing right now. But in a couple years when the next generation models are out, I'll probably go with whoever has the biggest OLED screen. Presentation is everything in that smaller form factor.

Hohenheim

the speakers still suck
Using "FxSound" helps a lot with this.
I'm using my Go for the first time in ages now, playing Harold Halibut on GP. I've docked it to the TV for that game, and using it that way is still clunky because of windows, but I really like the machine itself.
Definitly prefer my OLED SD though.

StereoVsn

Gamer's Nexus is starting to notice hardware failures popping up from their units, leading to questions about its overall durability. I timestamped the video in my post where Steve discusses it.
Certainly they can occur. I haven’t had an issue, but that’s not statistically viable data point, lol.

Chiggs

Certainly they can occur. I haven’t had an issue, but that’s not statistically viable data point, lol.

What is statistically significant is the SD card issue, which Asus has admitted to. And if something like that got overlooked, then it's not a stretch to consider the additional fail points that may exist with that hardware, as Steve pointed out.

Let's face the facts: the product hasn't even been out for a year yet...what other surprises will it have in store for its users? Battery problems, like Steve mentioned, would be my guess.

StereoVsn

What is statistically significant is the SD card issue, which Asus has admitted to. And if something like that got overlooked, then it's not a stretch to consider the additional fail points that may exist with that hardware, as Steve pointed out.

Let's face the facts: the product hasn't even been out for a year yet...what other surprises will it have in store for its users? Battery problems, like Steve mentioned, would be my guess.
Yeah, certainly something else may pop up. Especially if the device has cooling issues.

RaptorGTA

I absolutely loved my steamdeck. Blew me away with how good it was. Bought the Go when it came out.

Rough start but man I love the Go. Eventually sold my steam deck to a friend. Very happy with my purchase.

Bought LeGO a month ago and it has been a great fun. Love the extra power, screen is gorgeous, software is improving (though at a slower pace), the device also sits very comfortably in my hands and detachable controllers make it a fine tablet.

Currently playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance at 800p (with Integer Scaling), medium-high settings, 60 FPS.
BG3 runs pretty good as well, even in Act 3.

Top Bottom