• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MUBI - Art-house and independent film streaming for PS3

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Awww.... Europe only. :( UI looks really slick.

StuBurns said:
That music video program is trash, .

what? VidZone is a great app and more importantly it's free.
Sometimes it even beats youtube as I either can't find a specific clip (not to mention the quality) or I can't watch it due to the licensing crap.

StuBurns

Banned
SolidusDave said:
Sometimes it even beats youtube as I either can't find a specific clip (not to mention the quality) or I can't watch it due to the licensing crap.
Maybe I should try it again. I remember it being incredibly slow, having nothing good, and the UI being amongst the worst I've ever dealt with.

Dabanton

About time us Europeans got a good movie service you US guys have Netflix and stuff like Hulu coming soon. We've had jacks shit for ages on both PSN and Zune the choices of movies are quite frankly fucking shit.

Majine said:
Vidzone could learn alot from MUBIs interface.

Indeed. Vidzone is a mess of an interface. They could do with redoing it.

It's great to watch as it has some great videos but moving around it is a nightmare.

linsivvi

Naked Snake said:
Oh nos! a 5-by-5 pixels penis is on screen, the horror!

On a serious note, I can't even fathom a movie streaming service... Living in the third world sucks.

As far as I know the website works worldwide. You may not be able to stream it to your PS3, but nothing stops you from using mubi.com on your PC.

SolidusDave said:

Agreed, I've always found it to be a worthy addition to the XMB, and they've been providing a lot of updates and tweaks over recent months. The interface could certainly be improved (although it's really not too bad at all once you know your way around), but I generally enjoy the service a great deal and also appreciate how closely they work with the Euro PSN Blog to provide news and an opportunity for user feedback.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
To put it into context, for the price of WoW I can watch as many indie movies as I want?

androvsky

linsivvi said:
As far as I know the website works worldwide. You may not be able to stream it to your PS3, but nothing stops you from using mubi.com on your PC.

The site is IP locked. For major regions like the U.S., it'll simply adjust the selection available, but I suspect some regions won't get much beyond the public domain titles.

It's UP (for the respective countries, mine is next week)

Store download

20 MB

goes into the video tab of the XMB

go, give impressions

oh and free movie for everyone (of the supported countries) later this month:
To start us off with a bang (and we do mean bang!), on November 20th MUBI will be premiering online and for free the new Mexican film Revolución. This film is incredible—one of the rare films to play at the Berlin, Cannes, and New York Film festivals, Revolución was made in honor of the 100th anniversary of Mexican revolution.
We’re showing this amazing film online for free globally for 24 hours on November 20th to coincide with the worldwide theatrical release
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/11/03/mubi-is-now-live-on-the-playstation-3/

side-note: PSN+ got a MUBI dynamic theme for free, it's actually really nice/slick.

Lyonaz

Currently Mubi suck balls. I was all ready to watch some Chan-Wook Park and Takeshi Kitano movies, but noooooooo, most of the movies aren't even available in my region.
Unless Mubi acquire the rights to show most of their films in my region I will not be using this.

asa

Very disappointed how they handle subtitles :( There isn't option to turn them off or select between different languages. I could live with just English subtitles (I like them on even for English spoken movies) but many of the movies only have Swedish subs, which would be nice if I were Swedish... None of the films seemed to have Finnish subtitles. bummer..

movie catalog (476 films in my area) seems quite large but was missing all the big name directors like Scorsese, Kubrick etc. which are featured on the Mubi advertisements.

I hope they fix the subtitles and get the catalog bigger.

Otherwise UI is quite nice, responsive, stream is continuous and quality is good enough(watched few sample trailers and free movies)

Carl

It's pretty awesome.

Pity the selection for the UK is pretty crap in comparison to the list as a whole. Bought a subscription nonetheless though. Hopefully the influx of cash helps them to improve it.

btw the error message for accessing MUBI w/o a proper IP says "I'm sorry Dave" :lol

for a moment I was wondering from where it got just the "Dave" but then I got it :p

jiggles

Banned
SolidusDave said:
btw the error message for accessing MUBI w/o a proper IP says "I'm sorry Dave" :lol

for a moment I was wondering from where it got just the "Dave" but then I got it :p
The IP blocking sucks.

I have a UK account, but my PS3 is at my parents' house in Ireland. Can't access the UK content because the IP says Ireland, and I can't access the Ireland content because it's a UK account.

Buzzed my little sister out earlier by making her watch that silent Alice in Wonderland movie all the way through. Such a weird movie. Though its not bad given its over 100 years old.

vulva

I wish this was in Canada. I'm big up on arthouse cinema. If this ends up getting alot of Bruce Conner, count me as jealous.

androvsky

I suppose it's worth pointing out that MUBI's PS3 client does work in the U.S. The only caveats are that it's limited to the films they can show in the U.S. (currently 401 movies, no major titles that I've spotted), and you have to use it with a U.S. PSN account (after downloading it through a Euro account, of course). It'll probably work wherever your PSN account's region properly matches your actual region.

There's even a few free movies. I'm watching The Housemaid now.

I don't even have time to play (hell, to try) all of what I get from PSN+ so what if I take a Mubi subscription ? Just more time spent on the PS3 and less time... you know... doing social stuff

jiggles

Banned
Is the PS3 subscription some sort of "special" one, or does the regular subscription that you can buy on their website work?

Eliciel

Lyonaz said:
Currently Mubi suck balls. I was all ready to watch some Chan-Wook Park and Takeshi Kitano movies, but noooooooo, most of the movies aren't even available in my region.
Unless Mubi acquire the rights to show most of their films in my region I will not be using this.

rock 'n roll.....damn Sony just get a decent Netflix-ish deal for europe. We want to watch some good new movies that are available in our region.

Who the fuck on earth hasn't seen Pulp Fiction, Pan's Labyrinth etc. up till now, I mean come on you are not a movie fan if you haven't done this.

androvsky said:
I suppose it's worth pointing out that MUBI's PS3 client does work in the U.S. The only caveats are that it's limited to the films they can show in the U.S. (currently 401 movies, no major titles that I've spotted), and you have to use it with a U.S. PSN account (after downloading it through a Euro account, of course). It'll probably work wherever your PSN account's region properly matches your actual region.

that should be in the OP.

Though I kinda hate you now because you guys already can use Netflix.

and you are right, works with my German account as well even though they said next week :lol

Edit:
but as mentioned, they need to make it like VidZone so I can also use it with an account that does not correspond to my IP.

lupinko

androvsky said:

I will certainly look into this tonight.

Alphahawk

If Sony was smart they would create some kind of "media pass" option where you'd pay a slightly higher price (say like $30 a month) and got access to this Hulu Plus and Netflix as a result...

probably won't happen, but I can dream can't I

Alucrid

Banned
Always-honest said:
Oh noes, hide your kids, hide your wives. It's a barely visible penis that nobody noticed.

But yes. Idiots has penisses.

Naked Snake said:
Oh nos! a 5-by-5 pixels penis is on screen, the horror!

On a serious note, I can't even fathom a movie streaming service... Living in the third world sucks.

Who knows, someone could be at work and pop in this thread. /shrug.

jiggles

Banned
I've just checked and yes, the subscription types are the same for PS3 and PC. Which is cool, because it means I was able to set up an Irish PSN account, open a Mubi account with it, fund that with my UK details on their website, and now everything's working sweet. :D

I'm really liking this app, well worth the subscription price imo - the streaming is fast, hopefully that will remain true when they begin offering HD content, and I haven't had any technical issues so far (although, it would be nice if there was a way to skip to a specific point in a film, rather than having to wait for it to buffer before fast-forwarding through - that, or a bookmark system).

There are more than enough films that I've been meaning to check out and a bunch of intriguing films I've never previously heard of, so it's easy for me to justify the subscription price, but the lack of big-name titles is sure to dent it's widespread appeal (although Johnnie To's fantastic Mad Detective is available, at least in the UK, and highly recommended - I just hope we get an influx of more films in the same vein).

J2d

I remember using this a year ago and thinking it might be really cool once they get more movies available in my region. Not a damn thing seems to have happened to the service since then and I don't expect it to get better anytime soon.

Dabanton

Just had a quick look at this. And it's impressive.

Was looking at some of their independent films some interesting stuff that would usually only be seen at international film festivals.

Some some very interesting Chilena and Korean movies that i'll check out over the weekend
the main section did rely on the usual suspects though.

But as long as i can find some of the more obscure and unseen stuff i'll be happy.

Carl

Bootaaay said:
(although Johnnie To's fantastic Mad Detective is available, at least in the UK, and highly recommended - I just hope we get an influx of more films in the same vein).

Thanks for the recommendation.

Have to be honest, not that many films i like the look of at the minute, but i am willing to try new things, so will give some a go. Or i would do if my internet speed would book it's idea up (seriously, running on about 0.1Mb/s at the minute).

Like i said before though, hopefully the influx of new subscribers and paying customers will mean they manage to get some deals on more films.

StuBurns

Banned
Just fired it up, the first page on browsing has pretty much all of the touchstone must see movies, The Godfather, 2001, Bladerunner, The Shining, Rear Window, Kane, Psycho, Vertigo, Apocalypse Now. It's very cool. I have a lot of these on discs, all the ones I mentioned actually, but for a lot of people, this is awesome I imagine.

EDIT: Annie Hall, Eternal Sunshine and Mulholland Drive. Such an awesome selection of films here.

EDIT2: Actually, I don't think it has them, there is a thing that says 'available films' which is a blue circle, and almost nothing is circled. What?

Carl

StuBurns said:
Just fired it up, the first page on browsing has pretty much all of the touchstone must see movies, The Godfather, 2001, Bladerunner, The Shining, Rear Window, Kane, Psycho, Vertigo, Apocalypse Now. It's very cool. I have a lot of these on discs, all the ones I mentioned actually, but for a lot of people, this is awesome I imagine.

yeah, trouble is, hardly any of them are actually available to watch. In the UK, at least.

StuBurns said:

EDIT: Annie Hall, Eternal Sunshine and Mulholland Drive. Such an awesome selection of films here.

EDIT2: Actually, I don't think it has them, there is a thing that says 'available films' which is a blue circle, and almost nothing is circled. What?
but how is the quality? It's a nice service, but if it's worse than dvd than no thanx. I'm watching movies on a HD projector, and any flaws/ artifacts will be enlarged.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
There are about 72 000 movies listed, but only a fraction is available. About 420+ here.
Recommend you watch 'Getting any' by Takeshi Kitano. Strange comedy about a guy who just wants to get laid, but ends up in weird situations and places.

Quality is SD and it's not DVD good. But I don't think it's Youtube bad either. Have to watch some quality films first to make a better judgment because 2 that I watched were a grainy documentary and an older japanese flick with tv-movie quality material.

StuBurns

Banned
Always-honest said:
but how is the quality? It's a nice service, but if it's worse than dvd than no thanx. I'm watching movies on a HD projector, and any flaws/ artifacts will be enlarged.
Not great, kind of 700mb/90min avi level.

mr_nothin

Banned
UnluckyKate said:
I don't even have time to play (hell, to try) all of what I get from PSN+ so what if I take a Mubi subscription ? Just more time spent on the PS3 and less time... you know... doing social stuff
Like watching movies with a group of friends?

StuBurns said:

'Browse' just connects you to Mubi's database of films and directors, you have to go on 'Watch' to see the list of films that are actually available to stream (should be about 450 or so).

Top Bottom