• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pictures Core, formerly Bravia Core, launches on PS5 and PS4 consoles

8BiTw0LF

Banned

Sony Pictures Core, formerly Bravia Core, launches on PS5 and PS4 consoles; exclusive benefits including early access to select Sony Pictures films​

Sony Pictures Core, formerly Bravia Core, launches on PS5 and PS4 consoles; exclusive benefits including early access to select Sony Pictures films

Gran Turismo: Based on a True Story is currently in theaters and also available to buy now in select markets; available soon in additional regions with exclusive early access window on Sony Pictures Core.

d6b99174a448aa35d468eec467b2cd45320df40f.jpeg

Evan SternSr Director, Global Marketing

Our friends at Sony Pictures Entertainment produce a lot of fantastic films, and today, I’m pleased to tell you about our new collaboration to provide the PlayStation community with access to some of these memorable movies on PS5 and PS4 consoles.
You may be familiar with the Bravia Core app, which is a great way to access a wide range of recent and classic films from Sony Pictures on Bravia TVs and select Xperia devices. Bravia Core will be rebranded to Sony Pictures Core on these devices next year, and starting today, we’re launching the Sony Pictures Core app on PS5 and PS4 consoles.
Once you sign up* for Sony Pictures Core on your PS4 or PS5, you will be able to buy or rent up to 2,000 movies** straight from your console. At launch, this will include blockbuster hits** such as Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Uncharted, The Equalizer, No Hard Feelings, Bullet Train, and Ghostbusters: Afterlife, among others.

eb0581f2f0ad07a9688e397a6faabfed366813d6.jpg

With Sony Pictures Core on PS5 and PS4, you’ll be able to purchase select Sony Pictures films during an exclusive, early access window – straight from your console. In select markets such as the U.K., France, Germany, and Japan, the first film with early access will be Gran Turismo: Based on a True Story, which is based on the unbelievable true story of a team of unlikely underdogs – a struggling working-class gamer, a failed former racecar driver, and an idealistic motorsport executive. Together, they risk it all to take on the most elite sport in the world.
Gran Turismo: Based on a True Story is currently available through Sony Pictures Core in the U.S., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand and will premiere soon in additional markets. With the purchase of this movie through Sony Pictures Core, you’ll receive credit*** towards an in-game purchase in GT7, including cars featured in the movie. The film is also IMAX Enhanced, delivering an elevated viewing experience with signature picture quality on PS5 and PS4 right in your living room*** *
If you’re a PlayStation Plus Premium/Deluxe member, you’ll get access to a curated catalog of up to 100 movies***** through the Sony Pictures Core app to stream on demand from the Sony Pictures library as part of your membership. The catalog, which will be ad-free and updated periodically, features movies such as Looper, Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV, Elysium, and Resident Evil Damnation.** There will also be additional benefits for all PlayStation Plus members, so stay tuned for more details.
abe14c180821fd0e5b07f6ba88d9f5185dfa62f7.jpg

Sony Pictures Core is available starting today for PlayStation players in 23 markets globally. You can find the Sony Pictures Core app in the Media section on PS5 and on the PS Store for PS4. For more information, please visit our webpage.
We hope you’ll enjoy Sony Pictures Core and all the films that will be accessible through the app. It’s part of our shared goal with Sony Pictures Entertainment to bring together this curated collection of wonderful films to elevate the PlayStation experience. This is just the beginning, and we plan to evolve the offerings and benefits of Sony Pictures Core over time – including a selection of hit anime content from Crunchyroll. We’re looking forward to more exciting things to come, so stay tuned!

dee5162686d96dbfa3f896ecf5f051471291c4ae-scaled.jpg

X-Wing

They have been testing this for a while in Poland. This probably also part of the reason they cut on the discounted one year subscriptions for Plus.
It adds value to the service and it's interesting to see them offering in game credits with movie purchases. They are able to pump up both their movie sales and increase engagement in games at the same time. Smart strategy.

Nonehxc

Dayum!!

For those of you that don't know about it, Bravia Core has the highest bitrate of all the streaming services. About 60-80mbps max, almost touching full UHD max bitrate which is around 100mbps.

EDIT: nah, scratch that. Many movies have even higher average bitrates than UHD, for example Venom: Let There Be Carnage, and it's on par with Kaleidescape masters. 😐

Last edited:
If you’re a PlayStation Plus Premium/Deluxe member, you’ll get access to a curated catalog of up to 100 movies***** through the Sony Pictures Core app to stream on demand from the Sony Pictures library as part of your membership. The catalog, which will be ad-free and updated periodically, features movies such as Looper, Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV, Elysium, and Resident Evil Damnation.** There will also be additional benefits for all PlayStation Plus members, so stay tuned for more details.
This is actually sweet.

Edit: Hopefully the part I've highlighted means having access to Crunchyroll anime library ad free.

Last edited:

GHG

Dayum!!

For those of you that don't know about it, Bravia Core has the highest bitrate of all the streaming services. About 60-80mbps max, almost touching full UHD max bitrate which is around 100mbps.

EDIT: nah, scratch that. Many movies have even higher average bitrates than UHD, for example Venom: Let There Be Carnage, and it's on par with Kaleidescape masters. 😐

This is interesting. Do you have a list of streaming bitrates for UHD movies? I'd like to see how Apple TV stacks up to all of this.

I'd love to get a Kaleidescape but it's not available where I live unfortunately.

Interesting that they are doing this, a few years ago I remember reading a couple articles about how Sony decided that their plan would be to sell their content to streaming services like a mercenary to the highest bidder and not try to create their own service. I guess that changed, or maybe they are trying both and nothing will be exclusive to this service.

Mr Moose

Interesting that they are doing this, a few years ago I remember reading a couple articles about how Sony decided that their plan would be to sell their content to streaming services like a mercenary to the highest bidder and not try to create their own service. I guess that changed, or maybe they are trying both and nothing will be exclusive to this service.
I thought they've been doing this type of thing for a while now, first with Vue and now this (which was released in 2021).

Crayon

Never heard of bravia core. If they had something like that, seems obvious to roll the app into earlier than this. It's it's in the sub anyway, I'll check it out. We cancelled netflix so it would be neat if this turns out good.

Nonehxc

This is interesting. Do you have a list of streaming bitrates for UHD movies? I'd like to see how Apple TV stacks up to all of this.

I'd love to get a Kaleidescape but it's not available where I live unfortunately.
About half max bitrate( ~40mbps)for Apple TV+ 4K Atmos/DV. 25 something average. Netflix used to stream 4K in 25mbps pre-Coronavirus, I think, then they cut it down to 15 and now sits at 18mbps. Just put Whateverstreamingapp bitrate on your favourite search engine and look around.

For your eyes pleasure, a capture of a Sony Bravia Core statistics page from more than a year ago.

vJUV2Kh.jpg

GHG

About half max bitrate( ~40mbps)for Apple TV+ 4K Atmos/DV. 25 something average. Netflix used to stream 4K in 25mbps pre-Coronavirus, I think, then they cut it down to 15 and now sits at 18mbps. Just put Whateverstreamingapp bitrate on your favourite search engine and look around.

For your eyes pleasure, a capture of a Sony Bravia Core statistics page from more than a year ago.

vJUV2Kh.jpg

Thanks for the info man. I have hundreds of purchased UHD movies on the Apple TV and have always been impressed by both the visual and audio quality (at least compared to Netflix which I'm no longer subscribed to on a permanent basis).

I can't imagine what double the bitrate would look like in comparison, but I guess ignorance is bliss.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Every single app Sony has fails, ps home, Quore, vue etc. these apps have been a negative distraction for SONY and PlayStation.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Mostly exhausted films then there are 2,000+ movies to rent/buy. Also this is in-house.

Ansphn

They're doing both. Once the contract runs out with other streaming services, they will put it on here.

Nonehxc

They can pump as much bitrate as they want. UHD WAS the Crown Jewel but was limited by disc capacity and drive speed. They usually use 100gb discs for movies, and hover between 70-89gb when you do a full 1:1 rip. Those can be 100-110mbps max but thats some frames of very very very busy scenes in pristine max quality 4K and add the biggest Atmos/DTS-HD MA you can find.

And even then, you're not getting the full quality of that movie, because for the movie to fit on a 100gb disc they had to transcode it. If you have a fast enough connection, they can pump double-triple the UHD bitrate if they want and crystalize our retinas. 🤤🤤🤤

Last edited:

DrFigs

Why was this removed in the first place? Sony makes the weirdest choices

edit: just to check i am not misunderstanding, this is a free service right? just a service to rent/buy movies? which iirc was something you used to be able to do back on ps3, but was removed for some reason at some point.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Bravia Core is cool in that you're getting 4K UHD disc quality streaming content if you have enough bandwidth, but it's way too expensive and I would never trust investing my digital library into the platform because of Sony's history of abandonment and the Bravia Core app's limited availability.

Last edited:
There's your price increase. Forcing you to pay for services you don't want. Real shady.

This is daft.

These movies are all Sony content. It costs them nothing to include it in PSN+.

The price increase was a direct result of increased competition from MS in getting deals for gaming content. MS pays top dollar for content for GP, so it only makes sense that since Sony is competing with them for those deals, the dollar value of those deals will go up and therefore the cost of PSN+ for Sony will go up... clearly they'll pass that cost increase to the customer.

The more subscription services there are vying for exclusive content deals with third parties, the higher the costs of those services will be.

Nonehxc

Only 24fps on PS5, absolutely disgusting. /s
You're giving them more credit than it's due, damn Sony Pony.

It's acshually 23.976fps ☝🏼🧐📽️

And to make it worse, they can't even do proper 16:9, and we don't talk about ultrawides.

That shit console can only do 1.85:1/2.4:1 aspect ratio and with fucking black bars.

Fuck you Sony and your lame The Order:1886 shit. 🖕🏼🤨🖕🏼

/s

Doing both. Main titles will be for rent(won’t interfere with streaming deals), this service will then get the leftovers titles (library that’s not generating passive income) for streaming.

Unknown?

There's your price increase. Forcing you to pay for services you don't want. Real shady.
It's always been that way and

that's any subscription service on any medium. You will ALWAYS pay for something you don't want to get something you do want.

And guess what? Just like in movies, gaming subscriptions will get worse because everyone will want to create their own.

Top Bottom