• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

my DS version arrived from Game today.

Played first 3 levels. I loved the Sonic Rush games so for me this is very enjoyable! game is rapid! :)

Dubble

Judging from some screens for the DS version of Sonic Colors, a LOT of the expanded Sonic cast members show up as NPCs. In particular:

Charmy, Silver, Blaze, Rouge, Cream, Cheese, Big, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, and Omega have been spotted.

Spoilers

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/7418/52342874.png
http://s014.radikal.ru/i328/1011/81/64ef4a855ac2.jpg
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/4500/69573997.png
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/3281/80378942.png
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7953/56889000.png
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3739/75649836.png
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/3660/77964400.png
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5878/97916575.png

Before anyone screams "SHITTY FRIENDS WHAT THE #$$#@$%", it doesn't look like any of the expanded cast is playable outside of Sonic and this is a good thing because it confirms what Sega said from the get-go about Sonic Colors DS being its own game and serving to flesh out the overall story of Sonic Colors Wii.

Sonic Colors Wii is strictly Sonic, Eggman, and Tails, so my guess is that Sonic Colors DS fleshes out the story to show the expanded Sonic cast without them bogging it down for forced story and uninteresting gameplay variants. This would satisfy both the classic and modern fanbase because Sonic still remains the only one playable in both games while the post-Adventure kiddie fans get to see the expanded cast in DS-only cutscenes (reassured that they aren't simply being thrown away) and we classic fans aren't forcibly bogged down by story or characters in either game. Sega's taking the Rush Adventure storytelling approach (which means the cutscenes are skippable) for Colors DS and I think that's a darn decent compromise between those that like the modern stuff VS those that either hated it or were annoyed by it in general.

Rlan

That's kind of bizarre, though admittedly, if you're going to have an interstellar theme park even as a ruse, you'd want patrons.

I actually liked the Sonic Rush Adventure dialog, even Marine, so I don't mind. Charmy's a bit weird, he hasn't popped up in... anything since the Shadow game, I think.

Kind of funny seeing the Chaotix appearing, but never in the same game (Espio in Sonic Rivals 2, Vector in Free Riders / Olympic Games, Charmy here)

And I wish Silver would just fucking die :lol

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
That's interesting how they're handling the other characters. I'm fine having the Wii version be just Sonic/Tails/ROBOTNIK-NOT-EGGMAN, but it's good the modern Sonic fans still have their "plot" and "character development" to turn to.

Blueblur1

Rlan said:
I actually liked the Sonic Rush Adventure dialog, even Marine, so I don't mind.
TheFuck.jpg

And I wish Silver would just fucking die :lol
Okay, I agree with you on this one.

How the fucking fuck can you fit all those characters into a coherent story, let alone one about Sonic freeing aliens from a the park? (aside from "poorly")
I kind of look forward to finding out.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hitlersaurus Christ said:
How the fucking fuck can you fit all those characters into a coherent story, let alone one about Sonic freeing aliens from a the park? (aside from "poorly")
I kind of look forward to finding out.
You don't. I'm betting it will be "hey Big the Cat who we are not going to bother to introduce any further for newcomers to the series. Whats that? Eggman's next planet is the Aquatic Park, and the wisps we find there are Orange? Thanks for the help Big the Cat!"

MechaX

ZealousD said:
"It's no use!"

For some reason, my blood just rose to an absolute boiling point after reading that phrase. But that's odd, when considering that I should have no memories of ever playing THAT GAME.

jambo

Blueblur1 said:
Looks like we have the exact same keyboard, jambo. :O
Found it at work in the server room about 12 months ago. Good keyboard but it has the worst function keys EVER.

Dreavus

I like how the thread title is desperately trying to get me to give this game a chance. :lol

That said, it kind of worked. Game was nowhere on my radar and I'm not a particularly big Sonic fan either, but I'm kinda interested in this game now.

RobbieNick said:
Well I'll be! Everyone does a tiny bit of voice acting too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvjLf21n9no

It's nice to at least have cameos by the other characters for the kids. As long as it doesn't affect gameplay, I'm fine with it.

AWESOME!

Big sound pretty close to his original (Jon St John) voice. Espio's sounds perfect! Charmy's close to his 4kids voice, I like it. Omega; awesome! Chao sounds just like its original voice (very likely is the JP voice), finally! First time since Heroes IIRC!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Dreavus said:
I like how the thread title is desperately trying to get me to give this game a chance. :lol

That said, it kind of worked. Game was nowhere on my radar and I'm not a particularly big Sonic fan either, but I'm kinda interested in this game now.
Actually the original thread title wasn't really about the quality of the game, its just the awesome announcer :lol

GOOD! GREAT! AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! THAT WAS AMAZING! SPIKES! CUBE! DRILL!

so they finally got rid of the horrible Jason Griffith as the voice for sonic, haven't heard the new one yet, but it has to be better

AniHawk

deadmuffin said:
so they finally got rid of the horrible Jason Griffith as the voice for sonic, haven't heard the new one yet, but it has to be better

Sounds just like Spike Spiegel's son, Sonic the Hedgehog.

TheOGB

Banned
deadmuffin said:
Imagine Jaleel White Sonic as a teenager

AniHawk said:
Sounds just like Spike Spiegel's son, Sonic the Hedgehog.

WHAT?! that sounds fuckin epic :lol

edit: I was right, it does sound better. Not great, but better than the blandfest jason griffith did

But no voice will top Ryan Drummond for me...it sounded like a teenage goku (Sean Schemmel) and I loved it

Foffy

Banned
I have a question for those who already 100%'d the game (I know they exist)

Does anything interesting happen when
you unlock Super Sonic? Or is he just a gameplay change for the normal stages with no extra stage as Super Sonic?

plufim

Goddam does this game make a fantastic first impression. From the title screen, the first decision is to turn on or off tails' VO tutorials. And then you're playing. You go through 2 acts before the story is even brought in. No bullshitting around.

And personally I love the short bits of dialogue. The saturday morning cartoon vibe fits perfectly.

Foxix Von

plufim said:
Goddam does this game make a fantastic first impression. From the title screen, the first decision is to turn on or off tails' VO tutorials. And then you're playing. You go through 2 acts before the story is even brought in. No bullshitting around.

And personally I love the short bits of dialogue. The saturday morning cartoon vibe fits perfectly.

You're going to make me preorder this just for the hat aren't you?

plufim

SwiftSketcher said:
I have to get a Wii somehow.
On the plus side, you'll also be able to get donkey kong country returns.

Something else that this game fixed is that finally, the egg pawn enemy designs are not awful. The artists finally gave them some actual personality!

Foxix said:
You're going to make me preorder this just for the hat aren't you?

Actually, I got it for a pretty sweet deal without any bonuses (for any aussies reading, kmart has it for $64 with a shitty watch), but the hat does look pretty good.

edit: Sigh... online leaderboards have already been ruined by hackers. High scores of 999,999,999 already. Hopefully SEGA give a fuck and delete the obviously hacked scores.

RobbieNick

Sciz said:
Because it's by these people:

Tomoya Ohtani
Kenichi Tokoi
Mariko Nanba
Fumie Kumatani
Hideaki Kobayashi
Naofumi Hataya
Teruhiko Nakagawa (DS only)

Sega couldn't pull together a better all-star cast of their composers if they tried.

That explains a lot cuz this is arguably the best Sonic soundtrack ever.

Sciz

RobbieNick said:
That explains a lot cuz this is arguably the best Sonic soundtrack ever.
It's certainly on the top-tier shortlist (1, 2, 3, CD JP, Adventure, and maybe Rush and R), but I'm very hesitant to assign a definitive "best" for a series like this that's gone through such a wide variety of musical styles.

Top Bottom