• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ChatGPT sucks and is a hoax

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Probably the same response you got from Chat-GPT. You're an idiot if you think that you're going to get an AI chat simulator to code for you.
What about some some research and some snippet how to do general implantation... that should be able to pull somewhere from the internet, right? But it doesn't.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Fair enough. Maybe later down the line it'll be better at it.
It would be better if it wouldn't write anything, but the problem is that it makes shit up and in order for it fix it, your have to list what does not exist in said library and so on and then regenerate it 100 times so you get the answer which is somewhere on stackoverflow. The outrage is completely stupid, same with Github copilot, that one is more accurate, but mostly is copy pasting what your wrote with different params.

buenoblue

rEQrwL5.jpg

StueyDuck

chatGPT in its most simple state is a glorified search engine and as is with most things on the internet, it is most likely going to return incorrect/false information.

i have more often had to correct it then it has provided any meaningful response to me, when asking it something literal rather than something figurative.

it's basically the new cryptobro scammers trying to push it more than anyone else.

ChatGPT is a useful tool, it parses language pretty well, and I can definitely see it evolve into a personal assistance software to manage your appointment, quickly summarizes your emails, give your information on things your need to find out about, etc.

It has no original thoughts and doesn't actually understand what's going on. It's at best an early form of Virtual Intelligence, but not actual AI, if you played Mass Effect you'd understand what I mean.

BlackTron

This stuff is so much easier to understand by anyone with even a modicum of understanding how computers/networks/databases work.

But in a world where we actually believe balloons are aliens of course people will think this is just the beta version of C3PO and that computers can think now.

Fundamentally, it works the same way it always has since Dr. Sbaitso on DOS: a lot of "if A, then B" instructions, now attached to a massive database (the Internet). There's been no breakthrough that gave computers the ability to make judgements based on any kind of sense or reason. We've trained them to use English correctly while patching together info from the net. It IS extremely impressive but it's not Cortana.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This stuff is so much easier to understand by anyone with even a modicum of understanding how computers/networks/databases work.

But in a world where we actually believe balloons are aliens of course people will think this is just the beta version of C3PO and that computers can think now.

Fundamentally, it works the same way it always has since Dr. Sbaitso on DOS: a lot of "if A, then B" instructions, now attached to a massive database (the Internet). There's been no breakthrough that gave computers the ability to make judgements based on any kind of sense or reason. We've trained them to use English correctly while patching together info from the net. It IS extremely impressive but it's not Cortana.
Not how it works.

BlackTron

Not how it works.

Thanks. My assumption was that like most AI there is some self-learning component to keep improving, but at a fundamental level it's still shackled by the way computers work -which in my mind (to grossly oversimplify it) is still "if A, then B".

I will do a lot of reading on it tonight before I embarrass myself further though lol.

i dont even know what this chat gpt is?!

It's the 2020's version of the Ask Jeeves AI answer bot from 2001. But it pretend it actually knows something when it responds back.

Some people were impressed because it could answer basic question like

"What's the safest brand of tampon"

"When it comes to Tampon safety you need to know to fight the infection at the source without the interlacing, therefore Trojan will cover the shaft for protection against STD's, which the CDC recommends due to its affordable price, Pepsi can heal cancer."

And people who don't know anything will think that's an impressive response.

cireza

the Internet
Absolutely not. ChatGPT is not connected to the internet, which certainly helps a lot in having correct information by the way. At least not having a mix of things that are correct and others that are wrong.

You can ask it how it gets its information, by the way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom