• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 out Nov 24 PAL/NA & Nov 25 JP HOORAY! The good times have arrived!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
nrburgringnordschleife1.jpg

You're shitting me

Broman1978

h3ro said:
o___________________O

I declare shenanigans on PD.
Again...Photomode....
Forza 3 does the same...In photomode (Both GT5 and Forza 3) the games looks sometimes 10 times better than the actual game =P
But I agree it looks fantastic and I for one LOVE to take photos in Photomode in racing-games...
:)

TEH-CJ

Banned
Broman1978 said:
Again...Photomode....
Forza 3 does the same...In photomode (Both GT5 and Forza 3) the games looks sometimes 10 times better than the actual game =P
But I agree it looks fantastic and I for one LOVE to take photos in Photomode in racing-games...

Ahh..I knew it was too good to be true. is there much of a difference in photomode ? aside from an increase of AA?. I mean its still the same poly count and what not?

still, it looks incredible.

Broman1978 said:
Again...Photomode....
This is sarcasm, right?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
TEH-CJ said:
Ahh..I knew it was too good to be true. is there much of a difference in photomode ? aside from an increase of AA?. I mean its still the same poly count and what not?

Same exact polycount. The only things that change are the AA and shadows, and the better implemented blur obviously.

Also

HOT DAMN

h3ro

Broman1978 said:
Again...Photomode....

I knew it was Photomode. And I still say GOLF HAM.

Also, please no forza talk in here, we all know where that leads...

2i73h93.gif

TEH-CJ said:

GT5 works a bit differently then Forza in that regard, and I hope I don't get heat for this post.

Forza 3 Photomode:
Full LOD models, better one from actual race, increased resolution and AA, etc.

GT5 Phototravel mode:
Full LOD models, better one from actual race, increased resolution and AA, etc.

GT5 race photo mode:
Same model as race, slightly less detailed then the photo travel one, increased resolution and AA, same everything else.

The only difference seems to be that Forza has a limited LOD during a race, if you stop your car in GT5 during a actual gameplay race in the middle of the street, and make an opponent car stop right by your side, if you look at it the full LOD detail is right there.

WaxVannilaFree once noted the differences between photomode during phototravel and race.

PhotoTravel: http://imgur.com/N5jpG.jpg
Race: http://imgur.com/XNZdy.jpg
(Also keep in mind, this difference could just be do to the fact that the camera was farther away)

If only all developers got as much time to make their games. Automotive passion oozes from every shot of this game.

We've all complained about the delays, but its going to be so worth it when we get it in our hands.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
h3ro said:
I knew it was Photomode. And I still say GOLF HAM.

Also, please no forza talk in here, we all know where that leads...

bish.gif

Oh, please. Mentioning Forza Motorsport isn't going to get you banned. It's threadshitting/constantly going on and on and on about Forza and how it's soooo much better than GT (then the thread becomes "NO U! GT IS THE BETTAH! NO U! FORZA IS THE BETTAH! *rant rant rant*) that'll get you banned. Casually comparing the two features in an aside mention isn't going to get you banned.

We've all complained about the delays, but its going to be so worth it when we get it in our hands.

If only standard cars were higher poly. :(

paskowitz

Well, all those people who said X picture is pre-rendered and this is fake and that is fake... look very silly right now. It is possible that PD has the most realistic lighting engine in the industry. Crysis is nice and technically impressive but not "real" looking. Metro is pretty, but again not real. The way the light hits the side barrier is amazing. Then the warping of the foreground on the metal of the car.

eso76

Metalmurphy said:
The only difference seems to be that Forza has a limited LOD during a race, if you stop your car in GT5 during a actual gameplay race in the middle of the street, and make an opponent car stop right by your side, if you look at it the full LOD detail is right there.

well...you just said that's not full LOD, since phototravel (and menu) models are slightly higher poly...
GT5 too appears to use different models for menus and race; the difference is they don't get swapped with full lod models when you enter photomode, and obviously the difference between menu/phototravel models and ingame ones is MUCH MUCH smaller than Forza's

amar212

JUst to make a quick jump-in.

This is Race PhotoMode which can render up to 12 (and probably even 16, we have to wait for some propper 16-race lobby and it's replay) cars in this quality:

B8dJu.jpg

Case closed.

eso76 said:
well...you just said that's not full LOD, since phototravel (and menu) models are slightly higher poly...
GT5 too appears to use different models for menus and race; the difference is they don't get swapped with full lod models when you enter photomode, and obviously the difference between menu/phototravel models and ingame ones is MUCH MUCH smaller than Forza's

What I meant is, the model during Race Photo Mode (and replays), and the actual race gameplay are the same. But in Phototravel (and yes probably menus as well) they're slightly better. And I must re-enforce this, this is just speculation. The difference between those 2 pics I posted could just be a dynamic LOD at work due to differences in the zoom/camera distance.

amar212 said:
Case closed.
What case? :p

Also I think you chose the worst of the bunch ;)

eso76

Metalmurphy said:
What I meant is, the model during Race Photo Mode (and replays), and the actual race gameplay are the same. But in Phototravel (and yes probably menus as well) they're slightly better. And I must re-enforce this, this is just speculation. The difference between those 2 pics I posted could just be a dynamic LOD at work due to differences in the zoom/camera distance.

i don't think it's due to camera distance, i also noticed some very minor difference between race and menus in Prologue. But 'low' LOD models probably still retain like 95% of the original polycount apparently, nothing to get worried about at all, in fact i believe no one ever noticed.

kerrak said:
"Good days to change avatar" :D :D :D

Not if you're breaking 3 rules while doing it :p

Dimentions
Size
Host.

I'd advise u to fix that your u'll loose the avatar ;)

eso76 said:
i don't think it's due to camera distance, i also noticed some very minor difference between race and menus in Prologue. But 'low' LOD models probably still retain like 95% of the original polycount apparently, nothing to get worried about at all, in fact i believe no one ever noticed.
The pictures are cropped so you don't noticed, but the difference in distances is quite big on the original photos.

http://imgur.com/Pcqq5.jpg
http://imgur.com/aDYEh.jpg

paskowitz

coolcole93 said:
It confuses me greatly that a five year old console can produce images like this:

6k0jA.jpg

I just can't wrap my head around it.

With 256mb of ram and 256mb of video memory. Honestly I shutter to think what the PS4 will be like. Personally I think the smartest thing PD and Sony can do is release GT6 as a launch title for the PS4. They already have most of the ground work done. Imagine what the PS4 would be like if it had a GTX580 with 4GB of ram. I bet you could get these photomode quality visuals in gameplay.

amar212

Metalmurphy said:
There's no way that GT6 isn't going to be a PS3 game.

Agreed. I expect in latest 24 months from now, ready and steady for 2012 Holliday release.

Also, there are probably 2 additional titles in the PD pipeline:

- new Gran Turismo for the new PSP
- Tourist Trophy 2 (either standalone game, either GT5/GT6 add-on)

paskowitz said:
With 256mb of ram and 256mb of video memory. Honestly I shutter to think what the PS4 will be like. Personally I think the smartest thing PD and Sony can do is release GT6 as a launch title for the PS4. They already have most of the ground work done. Imagine what the PS4 would be like if it had a GTX580 with 4GB of ram. I bet you could get these photomode quality visuals in gameplay.

It's scary how good it could look.

jett

D-Member
coolcole93 said:
It confuses me greatly that a five year old console can produce images like this:

6k0jA.jpg

I just can't wrap my head around it.

Well...it's not actually producing it in real-time.

offshore

Metalmurphy said:
Absolutely. Like Amar, I've said before I think GT6 will be about two years away for PS3. It's just a (relatively) easy profit oppourtunity, seeing as you've done all the hard work on the game engine. Just add more cars and you're good to go. If there's about 400 premium cars for GT6, I'd like to see PD get rid of the standard cars. But that's a discussion for the future.

GodofWine

Metalmurphy said:

Do you think it (GT6) will put back into the game the features that have existed since GT2 that GT5 removed...YES, I want my modified 'standard' cars back, racing kits and wings and paint schemes...

I can't be the only one hung up on the fact that you can't modify the aerodynamics or change wheels on these cars...these 80% of the cars.

Am I alone here? :lol

Angst

New avatar in celebration of GT5. :D

Slightly OT - I just booked tickets to Top Gear's live show in Oslo! It's gonna be awesome.

Top Bottom