• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Turns Aussie TV 'Mario 25th Anniversary' Segment Into A Kinect Infomercial

Jasper

So Australia's leading television channel was hyping an exclusive interview with Shigeru Miyamoto & an in-depth celebration of Mario’s 25th Anniversary. It was for Australia’s leading current affair show called ‘Sunday Night’.

The segment has just finished, and I am kind of bewildered.

The segment “25 years of Super Mario Bros” was actually an infomercial for the Kinect.

After spending about two minutes discussing Mario, the story turns to how the Japanese gaming industry is collapsing, and how much “better & smarter” western developed games are, and then it’s all KINECT, KINECT, KINECT!

For some reason, the General Manager of Xbox Australia was interviewed for this Mario story, & was actually given more interview time than Miyamoto, who’s interview was cut down to barely a sentence.

The segment ends with an obviously mentally disturbed child-like grown man sitting in a room full of plush Mario’s, which even made me feel a little dirty (and I like Nintendo). I would hate to think what the general public would think of a Nintendo fan after seeing that.

And best of all, the article is now up on the show’s website.

On the front page, it reads:

25th_anniversary_super_mario_bros_16ebtmi-16ebtmv.jpg

25 years of Super Mario Brothers - We celebrate Super Mario Brothers 25 years on from its launch.

When you click on the link to read the full story, this is what you get:

Kinect Australia

Kinect for Xbox 360 is a controller-free gaming and entertainment experience that was created by Microsoft for the Xbox 360 video game platform. It enables users to control and interact with the Xbox 360 without the need to touch a game controller by using gestures, spoken commands or presented objects and images. For more information on Kinect Australia and the latest games on offer, have a look at their official website:

http://www.xbox.com/kinect

Don’t really know how Microsoft Australia managed to turn what was supposed to be a celebration of Mario's 25th Anniversary into a Kinect infomercial, but they did.

The segment is just over 5 minutes, so enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjXEP2NYqfA

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
While you can’t expect too much from the mainstream press – ever – it was disappointing to see the achievement of Mario’s 25th Anniversary pushed aside for an in-depth look at Kinect and blatant bash at Japanese gaming companies.

The worst thing is I know people who put a ton of effort into this, and that's what happens.

Disappointing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well shit. Now we're never getting any games.

Was going fine until the mention of western devs came up. Then it turned to shit and never looked back.

Gotta love how the 'commercial' pushes social gaming as the future whilst also pushing open-world games as the future.

ron-burgundy.jpg

That doesn't make sense.

Amir0x

Banned
so you're saying this special cared about as much about Mario's 25th Anniversary as Nintendo did? Seems fair.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Nice to see even Activition got a spot in there. For a second I though they would have been forgotten.

Can I report this to Nintendo?

Who do I call?

Can they get Australia to ban Microsoft?

Why isn't Mario M rated? I killed a ton in NSMB DS.

Ashes

Banned
charsace said:
You guys are just doing this to bait people into watching the vid.

If that was the case, somebody would mention the huge breasts she has. Who would stoop to that level?

I think op's got it a bit wrong here, most of the segment is fair enough, and kinnect is the christmas gaming thing as the media define's it; best to get use to it I'd say.

Jasper said:
The segment ends with an obviously mentally disturbed child-like grown man sitting in a room full of plush Mario’s, which even made me feel a little dirty (and I like Nintendo). I would hate to think what the general public would think of a Nintendo fan after seeing that.
the ones that didn't become fans after the wii are all like that

Microsoft PR's shock and awe approach on display. But still shocking. It certainly demonstrates how little one should value the output of mainstream television newsland.

MisterHero

I often wondered why Japanese developers in a gigantic industry don't get more coverage/interviews in mainstream western media.

Maybe I should be glad for that

Bravo MS. Very clever PR stunt (as wretched as it is, I have be honest, it's really clever)

Associating Mario and Nintendo games with Kinect, while simultaneously using Nintendo's fans against them, while simulataneously tricking Miyamoto and Nintendo's PR department into drawing in a crowd to see a Kinect infomercial. Amazing.

farnham

Banned
well this is how its done :lol :lol

next time when MS celebrates their windows anniversary i expect steve jobs to budge in and pimp his next mac osx (sabertooth tiger or whatever)
Megadragon15 said:
Someone needs to post that Miyamoto picture from E-3 where he had a stone cold stare when looking at people playing Kinect.
obviously he was scared to death

That was hardly what I would call an infomercial. They tried to spice up the segment (which is woefully shallow) with a "what's hot right now" piece, and they briefly touched on declining Japanese game sales in the West, had one guy give his opinion on open-world games (and social gaming), showed a handful of Kinect clips, and mentioned that Super Mario Bros would continue on, in 3D, on Nintendo's next handheld. It's a fluff piece that used Kinect as filler, I highly doubt MS paid for that 1 minute (roughly 3:30 to 4:30 in the vid) mention. They even close with a mention of Call of Duty.

I find it ironic they talk about the declining sales of Japanese games in a TV spot that's supposed to be dedicated to Nintendo. Ya know, the Japanese publisher that totally destroys all other publishers in sales even in the West.

Ya know, I don't believe it was actually ever meant to be only about Mario's 25th...more like that was just the hook to get you to watch their coverage of video gaming's past, present, and future. Really simplistic, but it's not called fluff for nothing.

Top Bottom