• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name a good game with "bad" gameplay

Raziel

I'm curious to see what games people here think are good and worth playing despite admittedly weak or stiff gameplay. Interested in taking a look at games that I may have dismissed.

I'll start with two series of games that immediately come to mind:

400pxgrandtheftautoseri.jpg
53579272300x254.jpg

I'm struggling to see how this works.

A game in which the gameplay is flat-out bad is not worth playing.

Unless, for example, its so bad it needs to be experienced as a fascinating low point of the medium.

Like say Limbo of the Lost (terrible, but perhaps worth giving a go to see just how much illegal plagarism was commited, and to spot the stolen resources), or Big Rigs: Off the Road Racing (the glitchiest game ever made, no collision detection, and the vehicle has no upper acceleation limit and will eventually max out your system to keep going faster and faster).

They're possibly worth looking at, in the same way that people like to visit Chenobyl.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hmm.

I guess it depends on how you define gameplay, but Morrowind was a great game with some really bad mechanics. I'm mostly referring to the combat, which was tedious and clunky as fuck. Especially when you were at a low level and fighting cliff racers, you would just point up and swing swing swing swing swing, missing most of the time. You moved at a snail's pace for a lot of the game. Strip away the awesome setting and the exploration/sense of adventure and you're left with one janky ass game.

Oh yeah and Heavy Rain.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Maybe you mean outdated? Aging badly?
The only game I can think of that really satisfies the definition of "good game with bad gameplay" is Silent Hill 2.

Mzo

MoxManiac said:
I don't understand how a game can be good with bad gameplay...?

I think he means enjoyable games with bad/clunky controls.

The two games OP posted are spot on about that, though.

Vomiaouaf

Enslaved. Could be Uncharted 2. Full of great moments and neat touches. But ends up being close to Starfox Adventure's mix of collectathon and frustratingly drafty combat & camera work. Still somehow hypnotically untertaining...

MoxManiac

Mzo said:

The two games OP posted are spot on about that, though.

Okay, that makes more sense. I can think of games that have interface issues or clunky controls/mechanics that are still fun and worthwhile.

Raiden

Banned
I think you're confusing gameplay with controls, because those games you listed have great game-play but they control like crap.

GTA4 really is a joke ...great game though.

MisterHero

MGS before the full 3D camera

Wrestling games (even the two I like) because moves are just filled with as many button combinations the developer could think of and just don't flow into each other. Though I suppose that makes customization way easier.

Threi

notag
MoxManiac said:
I don't understand how a game can be good with bad gameplay...?
Mzo said:
technically every console FPS outside of Wii/Move controls like ass...but they can still be quite enjoyable (not to me but to other people)

MechaX

When I read the topic, I was thinking "oxymoron." When I saw the actual post and saw Resident Evil posted, then my thoughts went to "yeah, pretty much that." I have finished most of the classic Resident Evil games while I think that they're good, the controls are absolutely terrible and the backtracking can get almost mind-meltingly asinine at times.

Although, if they're that much hassles to play, I wonder why I just don't call them bad games. Why? I have no fucking idea.

That's one tricky question.... good game but bad gameplay? hmmmmm.... I think my choice would be Final fantasy VIII, such a great game that I looooveee... but god dammit the battle system SUCKS!

Dahbomb

Or he could mean games that are presented so well, have great concepts or have so many things in it to distract the average gamer from the core mechanics of the game which are shallow or extremely basic/broken or plain plagued with basic problems like bad camera, clunky controls etc.

At least that's how interpreted this thread. So if you list a game you would have to state why it has bad game play then also state why it's a good game.

I guess Resident Evil 5 also qualifies as do MOST Final Fantasy games. I would add Monster Hunter games as well.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I have a good one:

Eternal Darkness.
It's one of the scariest games I've played, the psych stuff is fucking awesome. I loved all the different settings, the atmosphere was killer and I actually was into the story. But good god, it played like shit at times. It has some mind numbingly bad combat, I would have almost preferred to just watch someone play the game.

seems to be a common theme among survival horror games, I would say the same thing about classic Resident Evil and Siren: Blood Curse.

Surprised nobody's mentioned No More Heroes yet.

I had a blast with that game from start to finish (NMH2 wasn't as much fun even if it was a better made game), but most people agreed the controls were often clunky, particularly in the overworld and job minigames.

Korigama

The Praiseworthy said:
That's one tricky question.... good game but bad gameplay? hmmmmm.... I think my choice would be Final fantasy VIII, such a great game that I looooveee... but god dammit the battle system SUCKS!

Seems like a strange thing to criticize as far as FFVIII is concerned (if anything, I would've thought it could be agreed upon that with the exception of the level scaling, this was something it actually did right). Last FF with a combat system I genuinely liked, anyway. For me, saying FFIX instead would've made more sense.

EDIT: For everyone saying MGS, I can agree with the controls/mechanics feeling dated by MGS3, but I didn't see anything wrong with how MGS4 played.

B3il

Both Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat series are prime examples of this. They're all terrible fighting games, but at the same time have great production values, were creative, artistic, funny and highly memorable. Toss in a healthy dose of prime '90s nostalgia and you've got exactly what the OP is looking for.

Ranger X

raziel said:
I'm curious to see what games people here think are good and worth playing despite admittedly weak or stiff gameplay. Interested in taking a look at games that I may have dismissed.

I'll start with two series of games that immediately come to mind:

400pxgrandtheftautoseri.jpg
53579272300x254.jpg

Those 2 games were fantastic when they came out and had some incredible gameplay. Or else they wouldn't be great.

Heavy Rain. I enjoyed it the production value, the stories, and the concept behind the game. But the gameplay was awful, truly awful. It felt like a modern update of Dragons Lair.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Metal Gear Solid games are clunky thanks to their convoluted control schemes but I still think they have incredible gameplay. Especially my fave, Sons of Liberty. It's very satisfying once you get a good grasp of the controls and you can methodically clear rooms of dudes without making a peep. It shines when you're playing on the higher difficulties and are forced to be sneaky instead of relying on your armory to get you out of sticky situations. So, are they "clunky"? Yes, but for me at least it's the gameplay more than the story (or the "experience) that make them classics in my eyes.

Ashes

Banned
zoukka said:
Has to be this.

yep.

Okay, I hate vehicular controls in Halo games. Stupid shit needs to dissappear. Especially since they nail controls for console games.

I'm not a big fan of fps type controls in rpg games that are just something short of meh.

COD infiinite ai script that only stops when you pass an invisible line. Any semblance of realism is completely lost, is shoddy fairground shoot mechanics and just getting overused in the fourth or fifth game now.

Short campaigns are alright, though it becomes an automatic rent these days, and I guess they are becoming more common due to development issues, consumer time issues etc, but if you are going to produce short campaigns and there are still bugs, shoddy framerates, etc, the fuck were you really doing? especially if there are scenes that look shocking like a resused level from an earlier part of the series...

Korigama said:
Seems like a strange thing to criticize as far as FFVIII is concerned (if anything, I would've thought it could be agreed upon that with the exception of the level scaling, this was something it actually did right). Last FF with a combat system I genuinely liked, anyway. For me, saying FFIX instead would've made more sense.

I can't stand the Junction system... very annoying to me, but I can understand other people liking it.

Top Bottom