• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: Take-two Is Preparing For A Mafia Series Announcement, It’s Claimed

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Twitter user Kurakasis has claimed that Take-Two is preparing for a mafia series announcement in the near future.

Kurakasis has previously found early information on games by discovering trademarks, which could suggest that the game has recently had a trademark filing and could be gearing up for an announcement.

Previous findings from the user include finding game names, including Metro Awakening, Indiana Jones and The Great Circle, and Marvel’s 1943: Rise of Hydra.

Last year, a job listing for the next Mafia game said that the game was to be an ‘unannounced multi-platform game currently in pre-production using Unreal Engine 5.’ The job listing did state that the game is in ‘pre-production’, which implies that the game could be a couple of years out from release. Nonetheless, if the game is gearing up for an announcement, trademark information on the game’s name is likely to become available.

In the job listings, it was stated that the ‘next iteration’ of the Mafia franchise would feature ‘engagement stealth and combat gameplay loops,’ which should make for a more enhanced experience over Mafia 3’s relatively basic ‘creep-around-and-stab-people’ stealth platform.

Kotaku reported in May 2022 that the game will be a prequel set in Sicily – the birthplace of the mafia – and it’ll be set years before the first Mafia game, which saw players assume control of Tommy Angelo in the 1930s.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Let's hope this is true. I've always had fun with these, even the 3rd one that didn't review as well as the others.

Kurotri

If they can reach the level of the Mafia 1 remake I'm in, although on sale. I tried the series recently and man, it's just wasted potential: the series. Didn't like any of them except the remake. But I'm glad that Take 2 doesn't just outright kill it.

Flabagast

wasn't there a rumor about the setting of Mafia 4 (I don't remember).

Mafia 3 was really interesting story and setting wise, even if the game design was subpar

Hudo

Mafia Remake > Mafia > Mafia 2.

I haven't played Mafia 3 because the setting doesn't do anything for me.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Mafia 1 remake was great, but unfortunately totally forgotten. I wasn't expecting a new part at all.

JCK75

Mafia 3 was such a shame..I liked the story.. I liked the gameplay until it just didn't evolve as it should and got stale after a while..
I don't even know how to pinpoint what was wrong to even fix it.

Mobsters is a genre I really don't care for. I feel they are overrated and overplayed in film and TV but oddly quite under represented in gaming. So I hope it is a back to basics mobster game for those who enjoy that.

Last edited:

JCK75

Also I might be in the minority of people who actually did this but what I loved most about the Mafia games (1+2) was on PC I could have my driving wheel set up for the car parts.. one hand on the steering wheel- the other on my mouse controlling my gun out the window.. just driving and destroying the enemies in chase.. I can't think of another game that allowed me to do that and it was fucking epic..

DaGwaphics

Mafia Remake > Mafia > Mafia 2.

I haven't played Mafia 3 because the setting doesn't do anything for me.

I would probably go with Mafia > Mafia 2 > Mafia Remake > Mafia 3

I would give Mafia 3 a try though. It's a fun game once you get started with it. I think it could have been a better game if each of the "neighborhoods" had presented a unique angle to the play style throughout. They experimented with that in the DLCs. One could have focused on stealth, another on driving based mechanics, etc.

Also I might be in the minority of people who actually did this but what I loved most about the Mafia games (1+2) was on PC I could have my driving wheel set up for the car parts.. one hand on the steering wheel- the other on my mouse controlling my gun out the window.. just driving and destroying the enemies in chase.. I can't think of another game that allowed me to do that and it was fucking epic..

Oh I didn't know about it. It sounds really cool. Can you do it in Mafia Remake?

amigastar

don't agree, mafia remake was the weakest of the series imho.

Voice acting was really not good and tried too hard imho
Mafia Remake was a real dissappointment for me. Shooting was off, not very good i have to say.
Mafia 3 would be good if it had actual fun missions not that repetitive stuff.
But i would like a new Mafia game.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
The Sopranos Television GIF

Certinty

Mafia III is one of the biggest waste of a game I've ever come across.

How you can create such a good looking game with an amazing open world, top notch gameplay (especially the driving) alongside an interesting story only to throw it all away with repetitive bullshit missions and shit AI is beyond me.

Literally, just fix the flaws with Mafia III and create proper missions and you honestly have one of the best games of the generation thus far.

Great news.

Mafia Remake was more like a remaster.

Beautiful game but it was only skin deep.

There was nothing to do but the missions with very little reason to replay it.

Great for what it was, especially if you never played the original.

Last edited:
Top Bottom