• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony has two major games coming in end of 2024 (likely Astrobot and Silent Hill 2)

Perrott

Gold Member
Well, Rise of the Ronin is not exactly the same, i think the darker games that Sony Studio made or collaborated had a certain flavor, like Demon's Souls and Soul Sacrifice, but it is what it is.
You don't need a Japan Studio to get those games, as Demon's Souls and Soul Sacrifice they were developed by FromSoftware and Marvelous, respectively.

XDEV Japan has taken over the external partnership duties from the Japan Studio. We just got Rise of the Ronin as a result of this initiative, there's Death Stranding 2 and Physint coming from Kojima Productions, and they've been doing another exclusive game with FromSoftware for years now, probably their next project after Shadow of the Erdtree.

Maybe knows that their staff has many key former Bungie, CoD and several other top shooters plus devs from top companies like Blizzard or Sony.

We know that of course, but it's not sufficient enough to get overly excited about.

Deviation games also had an all star team and got closed down.

Show me some footage or something and then maybe I'll get excited.

Last edited:

yurinka

Ape Escape was their most known series, so...
As for Team Ico games? That dream has been dead since 2011, it's time to let it go.
There are several Team Asobi devs still there who previously worked in the Ape Escape series or in all the Team Ico games. Same goes with Gravity Rush or the other Japan Studio games. Most devs rotated between the different internal Japan Studio teams. Team Asobi or Team Ico were just some of these teams. In Team Asobi there's even people who worked in Legend of Dragoon. And obviously, in your all time favorite Knack series.

After the restructuring they got a new office in the same building, where they are growing.

Also, they're not very similar, but Rise of the Ronin is an action RPG like Soul Sacrifice, so they're trying to satisfy that niche at the very least. It's not all Astro Bot or 3D platformers.
Well, Rise of the Ronin is not exactly the same, i think the darker games that Sony Studio made or collaborated had a certain flavor, like Demon's Souls and Soul Sacrifice, but it is what it is.
You don't need a Japan Studio to get those games, as Demon's Souls and Soul Sacrifice they were developed by FromSoftware and Marvelous, respectively.

XDEV Japan has taken over the external partnership duties from the Japan Studio. We just got Rise of the Ronin as a result of this initiative, there's Death Stranding 2 and Physint coming from Kojima Productions, and they've been doing another exclusive game with FromSoftware for years now, probably their next project after Shadow of the Erdtree.
When Japan Studio was restructured, their 2nd party external development team (a.k.a. XDEV), the one who supported and published all the Japanese 2nd party games like Parappa, Demon Souls, Bloodborne, Death Stranding and so on, got a new office in the building, for themselves alone.

Where -as happened before with the equivalent teams in charge of the EU and US 2nd party publishing/support management teams- they would become their own office, would be part of the global XDEV team and that wouldn't report anymore to a local internal development team.

Since they got their own office, they did start growing, because now they were going to be in charge of all the 2nd party games not only developed in Japan, but now also in the rest of Asia. Their first published game after the restructuring was Death Stranding Director's Cut, and Rise of the Ronin after it. So obviously they will also handle Death Stranding 2, Physint and all their other Asian 2nd party games.

We know that of course, but it's not sufficient enough to get overly excited about.

Deviation games also had an all star team and got closed down.

Show me some footage or something and then maybe I'll get excited.
Firewalk game got them excited enough to acquire the studio before even announcing the game.

Deviation's games apparently got cancelled, or maybe moved it to the new internal team with ex-Deviation Games they are building.

There must be something there with a lot of potential, very impressive. More than some nice CVs. They made many great 2nd party games with many other studios with nice CVs and didn't acquire them, at least not before announcing their first game.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
It's also from the 90s, where they belong.
They had new games up until 2010, which is when Japan Studio started to move onto new 3D platformer series.
I addressed that, but the thing is that it still falls into the same action RPG category.
When Japan Studio was restructured, their 2nd party external development team (a.k.a. XDEV), the one who supported and published Demon Souls, Bloodborne, Death Stranding and so on, got a new office in the building, for themselves alone.
Nah, that happened a year before, when the External Development Department was established, and the Product Development Department was renamed Internal Development Department, which then got turned into Team Asobi.

XDEV Japan was actually a department inside WWS Japan Studio (a division)! They were then moved onto the new Japanese PS Studios branch established in April 2021 (itself a replacement of WWS Japan Studio).

There are several Team Asobi devs still there who previously worked in the Ape Escape series or in all the Team Ico games. Same goes with Gravity Rush or the other Japan Studio games. Most devs rotated between the different internal Japan Studio teams. Team Asobi or Team Ico were just some of these teams. In Team Asobi there's even people who worked in Legend of Dragoon. And obviously, in your all time favorite Knack series.

After the restructuring they got a new office in the same building, where they are growing.

When Japan Studio was restructured, their 2nd party external development team (a.k.a. XDEV), the one who supported and published all the Japanese 2nd party games like Parappa, Demon Souls, Bloodborne, Death Stranding and so on, got a new office in the building, for themselves alone.

Where -as happened before with the equivalent teams in charge of the EU and US 2nd party publishing/support management teams- they would become their own office, would be part of the global XDEV team and that wouldn't report anymore to a local internal development team.

Since they got their own office, they did start growing, because now they were going to be in charge of all the 2nd party games not only developed in Japan, but now also in the rest of Asia. Their first published game after the restructuring was Death Stranding Director's Cut, and Rise of the Ronin after it. So obviously they will also handle Death Stranding 2, Physint and all their other Asian 2nd party games.

Firewalk game got them excited enough to acquire the studio before even announcing the game.

Deviation's games apparently got cancelled, or maybe moved it to the new internal team with ex-Deviation Games they are building.

There must be something there with a lot of potential, very impressive. More than some nice CVs. They made many great 2nd party games with many other studios with nice CVs and didn't acquire them, at least not before announcing their first game.

I’m optimistic especially after Helldivers but I personally can’t get too excited on an unproven team with no footage to show

yurinka

I’m optimistic especially after Helldivers but I personally can’t get too excited on an unproven team with no footage to show
I'm not excited with their game either, because I haven't seen it. But I'm very optimistic about its performance after MLB, GT7, Destiny 1 & 2 and Helldivers 2.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
wait-a-minute-john-dutton.gif

yurinka

Nah, that happened a year before, when the External Development Department was established, and the Product Development Department was renamed Internal Development Department, which then got turned into Team Asobi.

XDEV Japan was actually a department inside WWS Japan Studio (a division)! They were then moved onto the new Japanese PS Studios branch established in April 2021 (itself a replacement of WWS Japan Studio).
Japan Studio had their internal 2nd party publishing team (a.k.a. XDEV Japan, a.k.a. external development team, a.k.a. Japan Studio XDEV team, a.k.a. XDEV Japanese team a.k.a. External Development Department) since the PS1 days, working in all their 2nd party games like Parappa, Arc the Lad, Rapid Reload, Everybody's Golf, Wild Arms, I.Q., Ghost In the Shell, Alundra, Legend of Legaia, Um Jammer Lammy, Vip-Ribbon, Dark Cloud, Mister Mosquito, Dark Chronicle, Genji, Jeanne d'Arc, Folklore, Rogue Galaxy, Patapon, Echocrome, White Knight Chronicles, Demon's Souls, Tokyo Jungle, Soul Sacrifice, Rain, Bloodborne, The Tomorrow Children or Déraciné. They are the only Sony Japanese 2nd party team.

They always have been inside Japan Studio since its creation until branching out with the recent restructuring, independenly if renamed or their position inside the studio.

Japan Studio was in the same SIE Japan HQ building where the new Team Asobi and XDEV Japan offices are. The two teams got new offices because were going to grow and were going to need more space.

That 2nd party team, the XDEV Japan team, after the restructuring they continued doing the same job with Death Stranding Director's Cut, Rise of the Ronin, Death Stranding 2 etc. plus now games from the rest of Asia (Stellar Blade, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside, etc). After the restructuring they were now their own team, part of the global XDEV network, not reporting anymore to Japan Studio.

In the same way than when the XDEV European team became its own team/office when branched out getting their own office outside where they started (Liverpoool Studio). And same goes with the USA team when branched out of Sony Santa Monica/San Mateo.

Aside from this 2nd party publishing / support management team, Japan Studio also had their internal development team, which had several teams working on different games at the same time. Many devs moved from a team to another as needed. Some of these internal developmen teams sometimes had names, such as Team Siren, Team Ico, Team Gravity, Team Asobi. But weren't really separate teams. Most fluidly moved from a team to anoher as needed. Obviously over time some retired, moved to other companies or got fired. All the remaining internal development devs after the restructuring got merged into Team Asobi, who already was a team of people (as you can double check in the game credits of both Astro games) who worked in the other internal development teams.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Silent Hill 2 is not Sony, it's Konami. Time exclusives don't count. If Astrobot is true.... what an effin' joke.

nial

Gold Member
Japan Studio had their internal 2nd party publishing team (a.k.a. XDEV Japan, a.k.a. external development team, a.k.a. Japan Studio XDEV team, a.k.a. XDEV Japanese team a.k.a. External Development Department) since the PS1 days
wrrrrrrong, they were established in 2005 (SIE may say the contrary, but companies always lie like that)
SCEJ, a completely different division (which existed all the way to 2013) of SCEI, did the same job from 1999 to 2005

yurinka

wrrrrrrong, they were established in 2005 (SIE may say the contrary, but companies always lie like that)
SCEJ, a completely different division (which existed all the way to 2013) of SCEI, did the same job from 1999 to 2005
You are the one wrong and lying, not Sony or me.

Japan Studio was founded in 1993 and they have been developing internally 1st party games publishing (which sometimes also includes supporting, funding, localizing, testing or producing) the Japanese 2nd party games since the PS1 Japanese launch, this is a fact.

It got named or branded in different ways: Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan studio, SCEJ, Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio or more recently simply Japan Studio until got split in two with the restructuring (Team Asobi for the internal development part and XDEV Japan for the 2nd party part).

It may have changed their name or branding, or the one of their divisions or departments, or exact position inside the corporation. Plus some people over time like in any company joined or left. But this same team has been there since before the PS1 release, developing internal 1st party games and publishing and supporting Japanese 2nd party games.

Like SCE Worldwide Studios, SIE Worldwide Studios and later to PlayStation Studios. They are all the same, the internal publisher and developer of SIE (previously known as SCE/SCEI, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.) even if their branding, name, names or divisions, staff. or additional stuff they do changed or evolved over time.

In the Sony games, at the start of the PS1 games appeared a "Sony Computer Entertainment Europe presents" or "Sony Computer Entertainment Japan presents" or "Sony Computer Entertainment America presents" depending on the region of the game you were playing. Meaning, if you played the European version of Parappa then SCEE was the one mentioned. That meant that the regional subsidiary of SCE/SCEI/SIE was publishing/distributing that regional version of the game. Because in addition to develop or publishing the games made in their region, these regional subsidiaries also distribute there the console accesories and their first party games made in other regions, plus handle marketing, support, etc. for the region.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Yeah, that's what I meant. I guess I didn't articulate my point very well, but that's exactly it.

nial

Gold Member
You are the one wrong and lying, not Sony or me.
nope
posted on july 2005:
Also, SCE said it would establish a new production entity to oversee all first-party games: SCEJ Studio (Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Studio).
what was established just a few months later?
how is Japan Studio consistently called by SIE themselves?
1XvrMe2.jpg

6Ciq8dh.jpg
jfoLP1d.jpg

(credits of Gravity Rush 2)
It got named or branded in different ways: Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan studio, SCEJ, Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio or more recently simply Japan Studio
wrrrrong, SCEJ was a division dedicated to sales and marketing in the japanese region. in april 2013, it merged with SCE Asia (which did the same thing, except that in non-japanese asian countries) to become SCEJA, now known as SIEJA.
MHDB9GW.jpg
pGbulZq.jpg

S5Ge0zy.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Silent hill 2 looked really bad but astro bot was amazing. I hope Sony has given the ram the budget they deserve. I hope it’s a Mario odyssey caliber title both in terms of budget and scope.

Perrott

Gold Member
I bet Red Barrels could have done a good SH2 remake. What are some studios you think could have also done it good?
While I do believe that Bloober Team might still end up doing a good job, I also think that M-Two (co-developers of RE3R and initially RE4R) and, of course, Bluepoint Games may have had the technological chops to do a remake such as SH2 justice, at least strictly from the visual remake standpoint.

yurinka

nope
posted on july 2005:

what was established just a few months later?
how is Japan Studio consistently called by SIE themselves?
1XvrMe2.jpg

6Ciq8dh.jpg
jfoLP1d.jpg

(credits of Gravity Rush 2)
As I said, Japan Studio had many variations of its name since its creation in 1993, which are all variations of the same: Including or excluding "worldwide studios", including or excluding SCE/Sony Computer Entertainment or SIE/Sony Interactive Entertainment, adding "studio" at the end or not.

These are only some of them.

wrrrrong, SCEJ was a division dedicated to sales and marketing in the japanese region. in april 2013, it merged with SCE Asia (which did the same thing, except that in non-japanese asian countries) to become SCEJA, now known as SIEJA.
MHDB9GW.jpg
In all these decades there has been many changes not only to its name, but also changes on their divisions and organization. Initially SCEJ handled both the sales for Asia in addition to develop games with Japan Studio or publish 2nd party Japanese games and even produced the hardware.

At some point separated Japan Studio (to focus it on developing and publishing Japanese 1st party games) splitted from SCEJ / SIEJA (who focused on producing/marketing/selling their stuff only for Asia, like the other regional divisions), which at the same time got under it SIE Korea, SIE Singapore, SIE Taiwan, SIE Shangai, SIE Hong Kong for the operations in these countries, in the same way that under SIE Europe there are SIE France, SIE Spain, etc.

But as I said, Japan Studio -even if with different names and places inside their organization merged with more or less additional stuff- has been there in the SIE Japanese HQ building internally developed 1st party games and publishing Japanese until with the recent restructuring they did split it into two offices where they continue doing these same two things: Team Asobi and XDEV Japan. And they have staff members who still are there since the PS1 days.

nial

Gold Member
As I said, Japan Studio had many variations of its name since its creation in 1993, which are all variations of the same: Including or excluding "worldwide studios", including or excluding SCE/Sony Computer Entertainment or SIE/Sony Interactive Entertainment, adding "studio" at the end or not.
no, it didn't, and I already posted proof. you're just saying random stuff at this point.
you accused me of lying, yet your whole post is a word salad without anything to back up any single claim.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Silent Hill 2 is also coming to Steam

Obviously. I just don't get why people like to say that Sony has something for their platform, while in fact they simply don't and all of it is either timed exclusives or games like Astroboy (it's a cool game, but c'mon). Sony's 1st part output is abysmal, it was like that since late 2010's at least and they're doing nothing to fix it.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Opinions and all, but you've got to be kidding if you unironically call the second half of PS4 gen 'abysmal'.
It's not the games, it's the amount of them in the last 2+ years or so of the PS4's life cycle. 2017 was the best cuz there was Horizon, Lost Legacy and Spider-Man but then it was only God of War and TLOU2 for the next 2+ years. PS5 is exactly like that now, 1 game each year at best, lot's of remasters, 2 remakes (not that I'm complaining, they're great) and this year we don't even have anything, so as for the next 2 for that matter.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
It's not the games, it's the amount of them in the last 2+ years or so of the PS4's life cycle. 2017 was the best cuz there was Horizon, Lost Legacy and Spider-Man but then it was only God of War and TLOU2 for the next 2+ years
So, big AAA games? (and not even all of them, don't think I won't realize that Gran Turismo Sport is not there). It has literally always been like that, you don't get more than two each year (except in 2022, you had three that year). Everything else was AA.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
So, big AAA games? (and not even all of them, you don't think I won't realize that Gran Turismo Sport is not there). It has literally always been like that, you don't get more than two each year (except in 2022, you had three that year). Everything else was AA.
I mean big 1st party games which are not GT, Astrobot and stuff. And it wasn't like that, not even always, PS2 and PS3 generation also had waaaaay more variety in terms of genres and stuff which PS4 and PS5 lack completely. There's literally no FPS games, there's no games like Spyro, Sly, Jack & Daxter etc. etc. On the PS4 there was Last Guardian which is great, but it was a PS3 game which was finished for the PS4. A couple of PS5 game even released on the PS4 so it's not like you can play them only on the PS5. And let's not forget that all Sony games will be available on PC.

Anyway, I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's getting harder for me not to sell the PS5 and just wait for a couple of years to buy and play Sony's on PC. I mean, my PS5 is litterally doing nothing but collecting dust for the last 2 years for the most part, cuz I don't care about modern God of War and even more so about Spider-Man for reasons, so I haven't bought the latest games and not planning to. TLOU Remake was great, but it's mostly the same game. I liked Burning Shores, but haven't finished it and now I own the PC version of the Complete Edition and will play it instead.

I've way more interest in what MS is doing cuz they're actually making games in different genres and there's way more of them on the horizon and I don't even have an Xbox cuz why would you if all the game available on PC day one. That's just how I feel about it bc ultimately I only care about games, not platforms.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
And it wasn't like that, not even always
Yes, it was. 2010 only had God of War 3 and Gran Turismo 5, 2013 only had God of War Ascension and The Last of Us. PS4 era was exactly like that, with only 2-3 big AAA releases per year.
There's literally no FPS games
Yes, there were. They were mostly on PSVR, so you don't know about them, but they existed. Also, Killzone Shadow Fall and Concord.
there's no games like Spyro, Sly, Jack & Daxter etc.
Huhh, Knack, Tearaway, Concrete Genie, Sackboy, Ratchet & Clank and Astro Bot.
On the PS4 there was Last Guardian which is great, but it was a PS3 game which was finished for the PS4.
Multiple cases like that, so what?
Come on, dude, it's fine if you don't like their post-2013 output and all, but to the póint to call it 'abysmal'?

SALMORE

why are ppl treating the Silent hill 2 remake like it's good on arrival ? all we've seen so far is awful !

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Yes, there were. They were mostly on PSVR, so you don't know about them, but they existed. Also, Killzone Shadow Fall and Concord.
PSVR don't count cuz almost no one has it and it was a disaster (so as PSV2 if they won't make it work with PC and even then...). Shadow Fall was bad. Concord is not even released yet.

PS3 had 2 Killzone games, 3 Resitance games, MAG, 5 Rathet games, 3 LBP games, 2 infamous games, 3 Motorstorm games (not just GT), Twisted Metal, 2 God of War games (but more like complete series if you count remasters), there was even one new Sly game for that matter. You can't argue that it's not a much better and more diverse lineup than PS4 had and PS5 has combined, and the latter one is turning into remasters and remakes console based on rumors and what was released so far.

Huhh, Knack, Tearaway, Concrete Genie, Sackboy, Ratchet & Clank and Astro Bot.
Knack can foff. Astro Bot was VR exclusive on the PS4. Again, PS3 had way better lineup and even more so if we'll count Vanilla stuff.

Come on, dude, it's fine if you don't like their post-2013 output and all, but to the póint to call it 'abysmal'?
Again, I'm comparing to what PS2/PS3 had back in the day and in my eyes it is abysmal. The variety in genres and the amount of it is just not there anymore and not on the same level. PS3 alone kills PS4 and PS5 in this regard.

Yes, it was. 2010 only had God of War 3 and Gran Turismo 5, 2013 only had God of War Ascension and The Last of Us. PS4 era was exactly like that, with only 2-3 big AAA releases per year.
In 2013 there was also Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
PSVR don't count cuz almost no one has it and it was a disaster
What kind of argument is even that?
PS3 had 2 Killzone games, 3 Resitance games, MAG, 5 Rathet games, 3 LBP games, 2 infamous games, 3 Motorstorm games (not just GT), Twisted Metal, 2 God of War games (but more like complete series if you count remasters), there was even one new Sly game for that matter. You can't argue that it's not a much better and more diverse lineup than PS4 had and PS5 has combined
PS4 had Gravity Rush, Driveclub, No Heroes Allowed, Astro Bot, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams, Déraciné, Horizon Zero Dawn, Matterfall, Helldivers, RIGS, etc.
The one thing PS3 has over PS4 is sequels, yes, which are pretty much the opposite of variety.
Knack can foff. Astro Bot was VR exclusive on the PS4.
Yet it outsold both R&C: Into the Nexus and Sly 4 despite that. Funny, isn't it?
Again, PS3 had way better lineup and even more so if we'll count Vanilla stuff.
PS3 literally only had 6 Ratchet & Clank games (half of them bad) and an awful Sly sequel.
Again, I'm comparing to what PS2/PS3 had back in the day and in my eyes it is abysmal.
Don't lump PS3 with PS2 like that, lol. PS3 was a big downgrade in terms of variety (and quality), and I mean, BIG downgrade.
In 2013 there was also Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus.
The $40 budget title that was released three days before the PS4 launch in North America?

Perrott

Gold Member
why are ppl treating the Silent hill 2 remake like it's good on arrival ? all we've seen so far is awful !
Because Bloober are claiming that Konami is screwing up the marketing (doing a combat-focused trailer instead of one showcasing SH2's charms, for instance), which I find very believable as the teaser trailer from 2022 didn't look bad at all.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What kind of argument is even that?
How can you count an essentially different platform you need to pay insane amount of money for and which had terrible support? Almost nobody bought it and it makes no difference overall. Same story with the PSVR2, again, if they won't make it work for PC, but here's the thing, PC is flooded with much cheaper VR headsets and even wireless ones so it's going to be a tough sell no matter how you look at it.

Yet it outsold both R&C: Into the Nexus and Sly 4 despite that. Funny, isn't it?
It's bizzare, cuz both Ratchet and Sly are way better imho.

PS3 literally only had 6 Ratchet & Clank games (half of them bad)
Were they bad though? I haven't played All 4 One and Into the Nexus.

Don't lump PS3 with PS2 like that, lol. PS3 was a big downgrade in terms of variety (and quality), and I mean, BIG downgrade.
Oh, don't get me wrong, PS2 was better for sure, but it didn't had 1st party FPS game until the first Killzone iirc.

The $40 budget title that was released three days before the PS4 launch in North America?
It still counts as a 1st party release.

PS4 had Gravity Rush, Driveclub, No Heroes Allowed, Astro Bot, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams, Déraciné, Horizon Zero Dawn, Matterfall, Helldivers, RIGS, etc.
The one thing PS3 has over PS4 is sequels, yes, which are pretty much the opposite of variety.
But there's pretty much no FPS games and no arcade racing games, outside of just one which is now dead and it's stupid as to why. They can revive Driveclub for PC (and PS5 even) to sell at least 2m copies but nah, fuck it, it's dead, ''no one cares''...:messenger_face_steam:

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
How can you count an essentially different platform you need to pay insane amount of money for and which had terrible support?
Huh, because PSVR games were still part of first-party PS4-produced content?
Were they bad though? I haven't played All 4 One and Into the Nexus.
Full Frontall Assault and All 4 One were bad, and Quest for Booty was meh. Into the Nexus was good, not arguing that.
It still counts as a 1st party release.
But we were talking about big AAA games? 😓
There's no way you believe these were the *only* first-party games in 2017-2020.
It's not the games, it's the amount of them in the last 2+ years or so of the PS4's life cycle. 2017 was the best cuz there was Horizon, Lost Legacy and Spider-Man but then it was only God of War and TLOU2 for the next 2+ years.
But there's pretty much no FPS games and no arcade racing games, outside of just one which is now dead and it's stupid as to why.
I mean, I can understand being mad if you weren't a PSVR owner in all these years, but it's not like Sony isn't making any effort to make more of these FPS games. I believe you should be at least looking forward ro see what comes out of Concord, which is releasing this year.
Project Carbon could be similar to MotorStorm in that regard.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Huh, because PSVR games were still part of first-party PS4-produced content?
I haven't meant PSVR games at all, hense it's not important.

I mean, I can understand being mad if you weren't a PSVR owner in all these years, but it's not like Sony isn't making any effort to make more of these FPS games. I believe you should be at least looking forward ro see what comes out of Concord, which is releasing this year.
What's even there to be mad about? It's not like PSVR had killer lineup worth buyin this pos for. I haven't owned PSVR and never will. I'd love to play new Killzone and Resistance games though on the PS5, which'll probaly never happen.

But we were talking about big AAA games?
😓
More like 1st party and $40 game is not some kind of crap not worth mentionig.

There's no way you believe these were the *only* first-party games in 2017-2020.
Nope.

I believe you should be at least looking forward ro see what comes out of Concord, which is releasing this year.
I don't have high hopes tbh, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
The XDEV leak described it as an open-world game, which coincides with some of Sumo's job openings from back then for a AAA open-world title based on an existing franchise (Dead Island 2 had already been taken off them by that point and The Chinese Room's VTM Bloodlines 2 didn't turn out to be an open-world). You might remember that there were also inFAMOUS rumors making the rounds around the same time.

If we don't hear about Carbon at the next Showcase, then I think it'd be safe to assume that the alleged inFAMOUS game and Carbon were the same project, one that for whatever reason (its worth noting that Tencent acquired Sumo in 2021) got canceled and hence why Sucker Punch later stated that there weren't any inFAMOUS nor Sly projects in development.

nial

Gold Member
What's even there to be mad about? It's not like PSVR had killer lineup worth buyin this pos for.
I mostly meant the fact that Sony decided to make most of their FPS games PSVR exclusives last gen.
More like 1st party and $40 game is not some kind of crap not worth mentionig.
And I agree! All of which makes your original point even stranger.
Even when a full-fledged Astro Bot will be a lot, LOT better than Into the Nexus.
You surely made it sound like that. 😅
The XDEV leak described it as an open-world game, which coincides with some of Sumo's job openings from back then for a AAA open-world title based on an existing franchise (Dead Island 2 had already been taken off them by that point and The Chinese Room's VTM Bloodlines 2 didn't turn out to be an open-world). You might remember that there were also inFAMOUS rumors making the rounds around the same time.

If we don't hear about Carbon at the next Showcase, then I think it'd be safe to assume that the alleged inFAMOUS game and Carbon were the same project, one that for whatever reason (its worth noting that Tencent acquired Sumo in 2021) got canceled and hence why Sucker Punch later stated that there weren't any inFAMOUS nor Sly projects in development.
Oh, never knew about all of this. First time I'm hearing about it being a possible Infamous game. Not a big Infamous fan, but it would be neat to see it released.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I mostly meant the fact that Sony decided to make most of their FPS games PSVR exclusives last gen.
Which was a HUGE mistake, just like PSVR itself. I mean, it's nothing there and of Killzone caliber worth playing anyway, so nothing of value was lost. They have Bungie now, but the way they're operating and after recent news about them, I won't be surpised if they'll sell them to someone else or just part ways. Bungie can make great FPS games, it's just they're trapped in GaaS BS for almost 1,5 generations now - they need to seriously rethink what they're doing, while they still can and get back to their roots and what they do best.

And I agree! All of which makes your original point even stranger.
Even when a full-fledged Astro Bot will be a lot, LOT better than Into the Nexus.
Astra Bot on the PS5 is a cool game btw and I was kinda surprised that it was free. I guess what I'm trying to say is that... These smaller games won't make a huge impact and help sell more consoles and there's really not a lot of them to say win an audience which loves and plays these kinds of games, bc there's no 3-4 sequels anymore and we're lucky if we'll get even one right now. I honestly don't like how modern Sony operates (even though PC ports I welcome very much), PS2/3 era was way better.

You surely made it sound like that. 😅
I should've worded it better, that's for sure:messenger_relieved:

Last edited:

Elios83

In the meantime some people waste their time arguing what can be considered major or not, what does count in their minds "pie_tears_joy: or not, personally I can't wait to play both a new Astrobot game since it's one the best platform games around and Silent Hill 2 remake.

Top Bottom