• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Computer Entertainment Establishes SCE Worldwide Studios

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
“As SCE enters its second decade, we need to challenge to reinforce our games
development power and create new entertainment experiences that will bring out the best of the
technology in platforms such as PSP® (PlayStation®Portable), PLAYSTATION®3, and beyond,”
said Ken Kutaragi, president and group CEO, SCEI. “With PlayStation, favored by 200 million
people all over the world, combined with Phil’s strong leadership, I am confident that the power
of our development studios are further empowered to create more new and innovative titles.”

sounds good to me. go PSP/PS3 :D

Amir0x

Banned
Sony Computer Inc. (SCEI) announced today that it had combined all of its game development studios around the world to form SCE Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS), effective September 1, 2005.

That's sort of neat, I guess. Dunno what it will mean, exactly... but neat.

Mrbob

I know, not officially, but....

well hopefully this means games get published quicker worldwide.

I WANT ROGUE GALAXY ASAP. :D

Mrbob said:
I know, not officially, but....

well hopefully this means games get published quicker worldwide.

I WANT ROGUE GALAXY ASAP. :D
F1 and WRC GAWDAMMNIT!

e: actually, thinking about it, wouldn't that mean basically all games, all territories? Good move with consolidation. Sony is too divided among itself.

Arcticfox

So will this mean more of the same just with a different name, or will they actually work together better (i.e. worldwide launches of consoles/games).

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
no, no, SCEA/E are still around, it's THE DEVELOPERS THEY ALL OWN that are being collected together.

seanoff

Stringer obviously decided that all this SCEJ/SCEE/SCEA bullshit and having sony games published by others in different regions had to stop.

et voila - one big honking sony studio.

And KK stays as boss of the whole SCE beast. Game Dev is just one part. R&D, Hardware, etc etc still need to be done and no doubt have their own leaders

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Jonnyram said:
So where does this leave Kutaragi now?
acklame said:
the supreme overlord

kutaragithedestroyer2jk.jpg

*credit goes out to evil ways for the pic

Twix

WOW.. this is the biggest managerial decision Sony has ever made since 1994 IMHO..I feel like a new era is coming :)

Rhindle

I've been saying for the better part of the year that Harrison is being groomed as KKK's heir apparent.

This pretty much confirms it. There is no real significance to this announcement other than setting the succession plan in place.

SolidSnakex said:
Now Polyphony can build GT5's engine and let other Sony studios use it so certain racers don't look half assed in comparison.

Plus maybe SCEJ could use Naughty Dog's kickass engines for their action/platform games like say Ape Escape perhaps?

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Plus maybe SCEJ could use Naughty Dog's kickass engines for their action/platform games like say Ape Escape perhaps?

That's a good idea too. AE3 has some slowdown that doesn't make sense considering it doesn't look nearly as good as the Jak or Ratchet games which hold a 60fps framerate. Sony sharing their engines with their other teams would be a very good idea, as Ratchet has shown.

We'll have to see how much of an impact this has if any. People are saying, "oh well now they can do such and such with each others' engines" but really, they could have done all of these things before if there was any desire.

I mean I don't think it's something the developers have wanted to do, but just been unable to. They're probably not looking forward to having the other group companies taking a few months to churn out knocks offs of hits they spent years developing, or even worse, bastardized sequels.

I think this might mean more in terms of making sure every single studio starts making more games with a global audience in mind, and making sure the regional groups actually treat games from other SCE studios as 1st party titles, which obviously hasn't been the case a lot of times.

jett

D-Member
That's uh er interesting. As long as Fumito Ueda and hsi team don't get mixed up during this transition I'm fine with this...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
SolidSnakex said:
That's a good idea too. AE3 has some slowdown that doesn't make sense considering it doesn't look nearly as good as the Jak or Ratchet games which hold a 60fps framerate. Sony sharing their engines with their other teams would be a very good idea, as Ratchet has shown.

They already do engine sharing, how do you think ICO's engine came about ? Sprung from nothing from Ueda's team ? ;).

The big problem for SCEA/SCEE/SCEJ is handling one divisions created games to be published in the territory ruled by the other division: it is purely a matter of publishing the title which can become messy... ask around for confirmation, but the story ain't so pretty.

I applaud more collaboration between their various Software R&D sectors and their internal dev-houses (1st and 2nd party studios) which should be able with even less stops than before to collaborate between teams that were part of different divisions before (SCEA/SCEE/SCEJ).

That won't mean that they split Naughty Dog in pieces and do the same for Polyphony and all, but it might mean more ease in team project that involve maybe two different teams, eqach working on a section of the project or like Nintendo already does the creation of a "Tools and Engines R&D" group with elements and material from their best development teams working to ease the smooth operation of the whole group.

It is tough to be able what they can do with SCEW that they could not do before unless you can go exactly into and talk about what they could not do before (the limitations they had).

ourumov

Well... PD is still aside this new organization right ?I think that the success of GT series has been assured by the fact that PD had a lot of freedom to play with. They are like KCEJ inside Konami.

ourumov said:
Well... PD is still aside this new organization right ?I think that the success of GT series has been assured by the fact that PD had a lot of freedom to play with. They are like KCEJ inside Konami.

Isn't the GT creator vice president of SCE?

Panajev2001a said:
They already do engine sharing, how do you think ICO's engine came about ? Sprung from nothing from Ueda's team ? ;).

Heh, I thought it was ground up myself considering how original it looked (and still does to this day). What engine was it based on then? Any idea about SotC as well?

Danj

Haha, when I read this I envisioned some sort of Super Robot style combination sequence, with SCEJ as the head, SCEA as the legs and SCEE as the ass :lol

This could be a good thing though, maybe SCEA can mellow SCEE out a bit and get them to stop being dicks about certain policies.

Drek

DarienA said:
Man Stringer hasn't wasted any time making moves...
To me this sounds like the type of thing Kutaragi would be pushing for as well. Maybe all the alleged bad blood from Kutaragi about Stringer getting to head the ship was just bunk. ;P

Phil Harrison is a great choice to head their development. He pushes for innovation (eyetoy for example) and has always talked about Sony's games development with a very global view. Hopefully he pushes for sharing engine technology as well as better global distribution of titles.

Should be a strong positive for Sony 1st and 2nd party development, which has already made huge strides through the past generation.

jarrod

Banned
Danj said:
This could be a good thing though, maybe SCEA can mellow SCEE out a bit and get them to stop being dicks about certain policies.
Er... I think you've got that backwards. :/

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Panajev2001a said:
Unless that was already Kutaragi's decision ;).

:p.

True, but if he didn't like it he would have shot it down... anyway it's nice to see movement happening... it's so quite on the Sony business side that you sometimes wonder if they've gone in to hibernation.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Heh, I thought it was ground up myself considering how original it looked (and still does to this day). What engine was it based on then? Any idea about SotC as well?

SotC seems to be internal as they have repeated more than once that they had to throw away parts of the old engine and create new ones from scratch (which still does not mean 100% that all the remaining work was done by Team ICO even though I am sure in these years developing ICO and SotC they had more than enough time to study the PlayStation 2 Hardware, the ICO engine and maybe hire new people on the programming side too).

ICO's graphics engine, IIRC, was made primarily by a SCEA division (even though I feel like it would be like saying R&C engine was done by Naughty Dogs... Insomniac did more than just some work there after they got the J&D engine from Naughty Dogs, but I am digressing) and then customized by Ueda's team.

User 406

Banned
If this means no more bullshit like refusing to bring over and properly market SCEE games like Wipeout and Dropship, then YAY!

Beowvlf

Banned
With Phil Harrison on top (who is easily the most intelligent western bigwig Sony has), I'm hoping he has enough power to go over idiots like Andrew House and the other fools at SCEA who continually make poor decisions regarding greenlighting inevitable failures and refusing to publish guaranteed gems.

The only things SCEA has truly done right in the past few years is buy Naughty Dog, maintain a good relationship with Insomniac and cement GTA as a PlayStation property. What I would give to have either SCEJ or SCEE run the show over here for just a year or two...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Panajev2001a said:
ICO's graphics engine, IIRC, was made primarily by a SCEA division (even though I feel like it would be like saying R&C engine was done by Naughty Dogs... Insomniac did more than just some work there after they got the J&D engine from Naughty Dogs, but I am digressing) and then customized by Ueda's team.
As far as I know, the main engine programmer on Ico was a guy from SCEJ team who was the programmer of the PS2 user interface?

With Phil Harrison on top (who is easily the most intelligent western bigwig Sony has), I'm hoping he has enough power to go over idiots like Andrew House and the other fools at SCEA who continually make poor decisions regarding greenlighting inevitable failures and refusing to publish guaranteed gems.
I think you got that the other way around. What major failures has SCEA greenlit and what obvious gems and money-makers have they refused? On the other hand SCEJ and SCEE had so many duds I can't even begin to count them. What's worse, SCEE has had very expensive duds, like Primal, Ghosthunter or Getaway 2.

One thing I agree with you though. Phil Harrison is the *perfect* guy for a president. Charismatic, outspoken and just plain knows his stuff when it comes to presentation of the brand. Europe is not called the "Sonyland" for no reason.

Top Bottom