• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNBC — Can The Sony PlayStation Remain The Top-Selling Gaming Console?

mansoor1980

Gold Member
DRj22WL.gif

U8GLqDG.gif

Last edited:

Crayon

They beat sega and Nintendo at this specific route... Like a path towards a straightforward successor to the snes, md, and pce. Sega made a lot of smaller, acute mistakes. Nintendo made the one enormous mistake of going with cartridge. Meanwhile sony knocked it out of the park with a spiritual genesis/md successor.

After the massacre that ensued, sega tried to replicate the genesis blitzkrieg with Dreamcast. They never had that sonic the hedgehog moment, tho. After that ps1 era, it's obvious why early adopters would be dreaming of ps2 and ignoring the Dreamcast after a string of failures.

Because they we enjoying the peak of the ps1's excellence... That sure helped waiting out the Dreamcast. You could buy 5 ps1 games for the cost of a dc and 1 game.load yp. Ff9, tony hawk 2, gt2, alpha 3, Tekken 3, r-type delta, FIFA, Madden, persona 2, Spyro, ctr, nuclear strike, re3... Like wtf.

This will be a point of contention till the end of time, but I will always maintain that the ps1 killed Dreamcast, not the ps2.

The subjection of Xbox afterwards is like the new testament of console wars. Much longer running than the sega-sony-nin triangle. That was a hot burning bloodbath in comparison. A candle burning at both ends. That the war against Xbox was so much harder and longer should not be taken for granted.

Microsoft very specifically wanted to flip over PlayStation and gut them. A weird rogue group in Ms convinced the brass that they could go in there, push sony out of the way, and take their spot. They should be the PS2. They deserve it.

And luckily, that was ultimately the fall of xbox. It was a vapid mission statement. The first gen of Xbox was more like an N64 successor, if you ask me. It was supposed to go in and take PlayStation's place, but the library ended up being its whole own thing. Kinda great, actually.

After that, they sort of got better at fitting into that PlayStation slot. They had the idea for the Xbox live having a subscription fee. For a long time I thought that was horrible, but it might not be that bad for console ecosystems in the end. Otherwise, the sony-centric mission statement conflicted with the wii's success at some point. The diverted from the plan to be PlayStation , and wanted to be Wii for a minute there. That lead to their biometric rape camera, and the Xbox One.

The Phil Spencer was the anvil that broke the camel's back. He still believed in the jihad in a world where this business had become a real big kid's job.

Nintendo had some stumbles but has differentiated themselves and thrived. Xbox could have done that. Instead the chose to heavily overlap with PlayStation. And later steam, forming a new triangle. Nintendo ....

... Actually I'm going to peace. I could rant about this period forever. There's no shortage of people "of a certain age" here that will carry on about ps1-2 gen till they need a nap so im gonna fuck off.

Last edited:
They beat sega and Nintendo at this specific route... Like a path towards a straightforward successor to the snes, md, and pce. Sega made a lot of smaller, acute mistakes. Nintendo made the one enormous mistake of going with cartridge. Meanwhile sony knocked it out of the park with a spiritual genesis/md successor.

After the massacre that ensued, sega tried to replicate the genesis blitzkrieg with Dreamcast. They never had that sonic the hedgehog moment, tho. After that ps1 era, it's obvious why early adopters would be dreaming of ps2 and ignoring the Dreamcast after a string of failures.

Because they we enjoying the peak of the ps1's excellence... That sure helped waiting out the Dreamcast. You could buy 5 ps1 games for the cost of a dc and 1 game.load yp. Ff9, tony hawk 2, gt2, alpha 3, Tekken 3, r-type delta, FIFA, Madden, persona 2, Spyro, ctr, nuclear strike, re3... Like wtf.

This will be a point of contention till the end of time, but I will always maintain that the ps1 killed Dreamcast, not the ps2.

The subjection of Xbox afterwards is like the new testament of console wars. Much longer running than the sega-sony-nin triangle. That was a hot burning bloodbath in comparison. A candle burning at both ends. That the war against Xbox was so much harder and longer should not be taken for granted.

Microsoft very specifically wanted to flip over PlayStation and gut them. A weird rogue group in Ms convinced the brass that they could go in there, push sony out of the way, and take their spot. They should be the PS2. They deserve it.

And luckily, that was ultimately the fall of xbox. It was a vapid mission statement. The first gen of Xbox was more like an N64 successor, if you ask me. It was supposed to go in and take PlayStation's place, but the library ended up being its whole own thing. Kinda great, actually.

After that, they sort of got better at fitting into that PlayStation slot. They had the idea for the Xbox live having a subscription fee. For a long time I thought that was horrible, but it might not be that bad for console ecosystems in the end. Otherwise, the sony-centric mission statement conflicted with the wii's success at some point. The diverted from the plan to be PlayStation , and wanted to be Wii for a minute there. That lead to their biometric rape camera, and the Xbox One.

The Phil Spencer was the anvil that broke the camel's back. He still believed in the jihad in a world where this business had become a real big kid's job.

Nintendo had some stumbles but has differentiated themselves and thrived. Xbox could have done that. Instead the chose to heavily overlap with PlayStation. And later steam, forming a new triangle. Nintendo ....

... Actually I'm going to peace. I could rant about this period forever. There's no shortage of people "of a certain age" here that will carry on about ps1-2 gen till they need a nap so im gonna fuck off.
there is the huge aspect of brand identity

Nintendo= babies/family games

PS= single players games

Xbox= multiplayer games

over the years, that what made Xbox special became the norm and single players games became even more special.

Xbox has essentially lost its identity, and even worse, it has failed to remain relevant in its own expertise

biometric rape camera

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not sure they even beat Nintendo in terms of how you define success. Might be on top now, but history tells us things can change fast. Let's hope they continue to deliver great games and hardware and don't sit back.

Last edited:
Yep I did the same thing.

I think a lot of people make the mistake of believing that everyone buys consoles right at launch.

I didn't get an NES (my first gaming console) until like 1990. I didn't get an SNES until like 1993 and I played that until 1997 when I got a PlayStation 1.

I got into PC gaming in early 1997, probably because I was so behind on console gaming because I didn't have a PlayStation or N64, but I did have a PC.

I remember really liking games like Seven Kingdoms 1&2, Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, Indiana Jones and His Desktop Adventures, Star Wars Yoda Stories, Dark Force 2 Jedi Knight, Star wars Pod racer, Unreal and Unreal Tournament. I was pretty much into PC gaming until maybe 2000. 2002 was pretty much when I gave up on PC gaming.

I remember being so angry that raven software started making the jedi knight games. Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy were so bad. Though if I'm being fair, mysteries of the sith was bad too. I hated the generic use of idtech in the games.

But back to my point, there was a huge gap for me when it came to console games and PC gaming. I actually missed a ton of late stage PS1 games because I was at a time more interested in what was happening on PC.

From like 99-20, I was definitely heavier into PC gaming than I was console, but it was Onimusha, FFX, and Metal Gear Solid 2 that firmly brought me back to console gaming. It was becoming more and more expensive to keep upgrading my PC and the quality of gaming on PC is so dependent on the quality of your rig.

PC had an advantage for a lot of reasons at the time but once the transition happened to PS2, it was no contest.

tkscz

But for how long? Their core audience of children are rapidly moving over to tablets for gaming instead. They look comfy now, but I think they are gonna have a few challenges of their own in a few years. With that said….. I think they will be the last dedicated gaming hardware company. I’m just wondering how many more of these hardware ideas they have in them that will differentiate them from their competition in their usual target audiences eyes ( kids with ever shortening attention spans)
Screen_20Shot_202017-10-31_20at_2015_08_06.png

Whose Nintendo's core audience again?

It's another xbox is defeated post... MS has had a lot of success in the game industry. It's a weird idea to me that because the playstation has had more success than xbox that MS would just stop their own "lesser" success. It's not a win-lose competition where MS just throws in the towel. Oh woe is me. I guess I'll stop making a profit off the xbox brand. Too many sony diehards see things inonly black and white. MS doesn't have to compete against Sony nor Nintendo. They only have to keep the xbox brand relevant. I see people use Sega as an example all the time, but Sega as an example to argue the demise of xbox is apples to oranges. Sega was only ever a gaming company and had nothing else to stand on during down periods. MS will keep the xbox brand going indefinitely to a net positive, because there is mindshare and general relevancy in having/maintaining the xbox brand.

Excuse Me What GIF by Astroon

Did Sony actually beat Nintendo? It’s highly profitable, sold over 125mil Switches, sold whole bunch of software selling in 10s of millions copies and has like $11bil in convertible securities/cash.

Edit: God, iOS error correction is utter trash.
Well, they won their first couple of gens against them, so yeah. Also, they drove Nintendo from the traditional home console market, because Nintendo realized they couldn't compete head-on against Sony.

Ever since the GameCube, Nintendo has replied on some HW gimmick that changes traditional gameplay to get their consoles into homes. And after the Wii U, they basically abandoned the home console market altogether and focused on handhelds.

Oof85

Nah.

They left the handheld market for the exact same reason that Nintendo moved away from powerful home consoles.

Both decided to focus on their strengths.
Or to put it succinctly, both decided to do what works best for their bottomline.

Like, the only way you can think Sony defeated Nintendo is if you only consider stationary consoles as the "real" market, and everything else is just gaming with an asterisk....which would make such a person a moron.

These companies aren't here to have more consoles sold notches than the other.

It's to consistently profit and reposition themselves for future profits.

With that as the guiding light, there's only one real champion in the arena, and he's rocking denim overalls.

Not laying off workforce. Not complaining about unsustainable margins.

Anything else is bias driven prattle.

Last edited:

Crayon

It's another xbox is defeated post... MS has had a lot of success in the game industry. It's a weird idea to me that because the playstation has had more success than xbox that MS would just stop their own "lesser" success. It's not a win-lose competition where MS just throws in the towel. Oh woe is me. I guess I'll stop making a profit off the xbox brand. Too many sony diehards see things inonly black and white. MS doesn't have to compete against Sony nor Nintendo. They only have to keep the xbox brand relevant. I see people use Sega as an example all the time, but Sega as an example to argue the demise of xbox is apples to oranges. Sega was only ever a gaming company and had nothing else to stand on during down periods. MS will keep the xbox brand going indefinitely to a net positive, because there is mindshare and general relevancy in having/maintaining the xbox brand.

Excuse Me What GIF by Astroon

I'm not sure I even said that. The publishing of games on ps is a change in the state of the game, though. I see it as a capitulation, but not the death of the brand. They will have hardware, but things will be different.

S0ULZB0URNE

Screen_20Shot_202017-10-31_20at_2015_08_06.png

Whose Nintendo's core audience again?
Adults buy the devices for children and some for themselves.

As example
COD and GTA are bought by Adults but mainly played children.

The largest games are mainly played by children. Children aren't buying these devices/games.

If Sony ‘beat’ Nintendo it was only on the basis that they hoovered up games that show cased next gen early on - Tomb Raider, Formula One, Resident Evil, Actua Soccer which made it a huge leap over 16 bit.

They continued that into the next gen with GTA 3 etc

If Nintendo could get their hardware right, with multi plats, and their first party, they always could have and potentially will dominate Sony.

S0ULZB0URNE

If Nintendo could get their hardware right, with multi plats, and their first party, they always could have and potentially will dominate Sony.
Like stated already if Nintendo would make a comparable spec and online features wise console id rather have it than a PlayStation.

Xbox has been trashed by Playstation pretty much all the time, with the exception of X360, but that was because Sony messed up at the start of that gen.

Xbox has never been a threat to neither Playstation, nor Nintendo.

The ps3 launched a year later, had a processor that 10 people on the planet knew how to program, the initial development kits documentation was entirely in japanese, ps3 was $100 - $200 more expensive than the 360 depending on sku's, and multiplatform games usually looked and ran worse on the ps3.
And it still passed the 360 in sales by the end of the generation.
The Playstation brand is ridiculously strong.

Edmund

Nintendo has been in the business since the late 70s. What are you talking about with their core audience of children growing up? You think 120M+ units sold are just children?
Man children as well. I have friends who own 6-7 switches for god knows what reason. And they own every single coloured Joycon.

Xbox had their window of opportunity but got greedy and messed it up. Even though Sony sold a few more consoles at the very end, microsoft won the 360/ps3 generation. Unfortunately all the good will they built was gone almost immediately with the Xbone.

At least they’ve provided a case study to companies on how to completely shit the bed and give up huge swaths of market share.
How did they win that gen when they were outsold by both the ps3 and wii?

Kokoloko85

PS3? PSP? Vita? Nintendo Switch? DS? 3DS?

These companies have traded a hell of alot of blows over the years and both are doing really well as of right now.
I think they mean Nintendo isnt competing trying to make current gen consoles anymore.

Wii, Wii U, Switch arent competing with PS3/X360, PS4/X1, PS5/XSx etc
Just jumped out the competing lane since gamecube when it comes to home consoles

Sony's worst enemy is itself.

Come now, how many in house studios has Nintendo shuttered?

How many layoffs?

Nintendo doesn't have competition, it's all profit over there.

And with a 3 trilly market cap, MS can make Xboxes until gaming stops being a thing.

S0ULZB0URNE

Xbox had their window of opportunity but got greedy and messed it up. Even though Sony sold a few more consoles at the very end, microsoft won the 360/ps3 generation. Unfortunately all the good will they built was gone almost immediately with the Xbone.

At least they’ve provided a case study to companies on how to completely shit the bed and give up huge swaths of market share.
MM5xdP7.gif

ZehDon

Gold Member
Nintendo shifted course after the Gamecube. That was the last time Sony beat Nintendo because it was the last time Nintendo attempted to compete. Wii, 3DS, Wii U, Switch; Nintendo effectively broke away into their market. They're simply untouchable.

Sony, of course, deserves its place: it stepped into the home console space and proceeded to wreck everyone's shit with top tier hardware and games. They took Nintendo off the throne on their first try, kicked Sega's teeth in like they owed them money, and apart from Xbox 360, haven't ever really been challenged.

Microsoft came in hungry but they're just their own worst enemy. The OG Xbox was solid, and they nearly got there with the Xbox 360. But, the mask slipped with the Xbone and it basically killed them. They've simply never recovered. The XSX looked liked it was a proper course correction, but their house just wasn't in order. So, they started buying other people's houses. I have no idea what their ambitions are these days.

Kokoloko85

N64? Gamecube? WiiU?

PS3? PSP? Vita? Nintendo Switch? DS? 3DS?

These companies have traded a hell of alot of blows over the years and both are doing really well as of right now.

Nintendo without Handhelds has failed to sell more than 65million consoles apart from the Wii ( Which was launched at £180)
Playstation has only failed to sell less than 100million units once with the PS3. Infact only one of there devices has failed to sell less than 80million (PSVITA)

Theres no question who rules the home console market. Nintendo rely on handhelds and stopped directly competing since Gamecube.

Now things could change if Nintendo make the Switch 2 specs competitive and this gen there profits are over the roof. I think games like Mario Kart, Pokemon and now Animal Crossing have saved Nintendo for life. Will there costs go up next gen or are they gonna carry on making Wii U level games

Another video with Nintendo/Sony CD-ROM deal fell apart so Sony went at it alone without the deets, lol.

I'd contend that Nintendo went cheap with the Wii because HD was still niche and complicated.

WiiU was a generational jump that was a generation late.

Exactly, people seem to forget that to stay relevant Nintendo had to squeeze its "home+portable" console business. to just 1 console that does both

And that after they had already given up on the high-powered home console market after the GameCube flopped

Just compare that to the SNES+GameBoy era or even the Wii+DS era, I don't know how you can call that winning.

And we all know that the Switch successor won't repeat the same success of the original Switch, just like the Wii U flopped after the Wii

Nintendo make a lot more profit today with Switch than they ever did with SNES & Gameboy. Wii & DS might be another matter but that combination was also a one-off; the perfect devices in-between powerful HD consoles, a straggling PC gaming market and before mobile gaming really took off in popularity.

Wii & DS were double lightning in a bottle and Nintendo just happened to be the company to make it happen at the time. Perfect market conditions like that won't ever happen again, so calling the Switch anything close to a disappointment just because it might not catch Wii & DS revenue/profit/install base numbers is a bit absurd. It's like calling the PS5 a failure because it likely won't get near PS2's 155 million install base.

Doesn't matter. This doesn't look like sales numbers of a company that has been defeated.

jvgSf8p.png

It's not even just about the hardware; revenue doesn't mean much without profits and Nintendo's profit margins stomp over SIE's and Xbox's, I'd say combined. Particularly as of the past few years.

Having higher revenue does net some benefits I'm sure, but having high net profits ultimately affords security in an industry with sometimes-rapid and major changes coming from several directions at once.

Who can actually challenge Sony going forward? Nintendo do can to a degree but they won’t chase high end but Nintendo do having a 4k / 60 solutions would be a major player in converting AAA gamers. Mario/COD/GTA all on a single system would be hard to pass up.

Microsoft will come out with another generation of consoles / but I think they are going to become a developer/publisher like a bigger EA.
They have one console left in them just to appease current customers. But their future looks to be cloud based though they have t really shown us their cards yet.

Apple could be a player but apple much like Nintendo plays their own game and rules.
They could reposition the Apple TV into a media center / game console easily but I don’t feel they have anyone onboard who is vested in gaming or cares that much outside monetization.
With an M3 chip and storage the Apple TV could become a real gaming console, I just don’t see them caring enough to get AAA developers to invest in them.

So who does that leave? Tencent? They own a ton of IP’s but nothing that would make you only buy their platform.

This all is very bad for gaming as a whole as Sony will 100% not push for bleeding edge in consoles and instead become very Apple like. Minimal spec bump as they have no real competition.

Who can challenge them and how?

If Valve decided to make a console, they could definitely challenge PlayStation and find way more success than Microsoft has. There are many reasons why they probably would not bother with a home console, but they have the cache and install base with Steam to do something like it, or a pseudo-console type of idea. However, Valve don't have the capital to mass-produce at the volumes Sony does, nor do they have the advertising expertise or distribution pipeline at a global level. Those are things which would hold them back heavily.

Outside of that it's your usual top picks like Apple or Tencent, etc. but they have one or more weaknesses that'd be very detrimental to them vs. Sony (though by virtue of not having a 20+ year brand with a negative image to it from many gamers like Microsoft does with Xbox, Apple or Tencent are actually better off vs. Microsoft for that reason alone).

The important thing is, these companies don't have to become direct competitors i.e have their own home console, in order to actually be competitors to PlayStation. It's very much becoming a "war" of platforms; there is too much crossover with say consoles & PC to act like consoles are only in competition with each other and PC is some far-off area posing no competitive threat. It does; it's also just that PC is less a direct competitor than a home console would be. But arguably, an indirect competitor can actually be more of a threat than a direct competitor, depending on some factors.

That would include me lol (PS and Nintendo)

At least I admit my preference. There are people who claim to be neutral but have obvious hate for another console, its pretty funny to see.
While I am a fan of Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft, I can't stand PC gaming. I guess we all have to have something to dislike.

The PSP sold 80 million units. I think if Sony is able to put out a competitive handheld unit that plays PS4 and PS5 games rather than needing its own unique library of games, that it will sell extremely well.

Sony's biggest disadvantage on Vita was its game library and now that handhelds are allowed to be larger, that also gives Sony a huge advantage.

Sony doesn't need to outsell Nintendo when it comes to handhelds, they simply need to eat up market share.

Meanwhile, if Nintendo pivoted and put out a high end console, they'd need to change their strategy to make games that supported that high end console.

If Valve decided to make a console, they could definitely challenge PlayStation and find way more success than Microsoft has. There are many reasons why they probably would not bother with a home console, but they have the cache and install base with Steam to do something like it, or a pseudo-console type of idea. However, Valve don't have the capital to mass-produce at the volumes Sony does, nor do they have the advertising expertise or distribution pipeline at a global level. Those are things which would hold them back heavily.

Outside of that it's your usual top picks like Apple or Tencent, etc. but they have one or more weaknesses that'd be very detrimental to them vs. Sony (though by virtue of not having a 20+ year brand with a negative image to it from many gamers like Microsoft does with Xbox, Apple or Tencent are actually better off vs. Microsoft for that reason alone).

I just don't agree with this analysis.

Valve, who has worst first party offerings than Microsoft would somehow have more success, despite not being able to subsidize hardware prices as much?

Just because they have people on Steam doesn't mean these people are going to buy their hardware to play in a specific console form factor.

There is really no way to make a console like PC at scale with the same specs and price as a console.

I think people ignore the barriers of entry in the console market a bit too much. Microsoft failed despite their efforts for 20+ years. Sega failed despite being beloved by fans and having some great software. Apple and Tencent would find it difficult to enter the market too and it's a terrible time to enter the console market when the console market is going to shrink in the next 15 years.

Gaming is going to move to streaming by the end of 2040.

I don't think think they beat Nintendo 😂. Nintendo hasn't axed any games nor have they laid off any of their employees while seemingly every other game conpany out there has had significant layoffs. Switch was a massive success on the same level as the PS4.

Microsoft is done but i think that has more to do with their own incompetence. They had a good strategy with the 360 and had they just stuck to it Sony would be the ones leaving the industry and MS would've had the whole console market to themselves.

Ozzie666

As Much as we all love Nintendo, the Wii-U disaster wasn't that long ago. The way they transitioned from Wii is not that long ago. Even Nintendo is taking their time moving off Switch. Hopefully they nail it, but there is just as much chance they mess it up. Nintendo never does the expected or takes the obvious course. I am sure they are fighting interally to add gimmicks and not stay boring with an updated Switch release. Nintendo can be it's own worse enemy.

Sony has historically taken advantage of other companies mistakes and twisted the dagger. When an opportunity opens, they pounce. N64 cartridges . Xbox One, Game sharing, Dvd, you name it. They play it safe generally.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
cnbc ?!
lol the article might just as well be ai generated.. which is probably is seeing how soulless it is anyway

Top Bottom