• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 46, 2010

OMG Aero

Ushojax said:
I'm not that surprised about Epic Mickey. The unfortunate truth is that the Wii has become an absolute graveyard for 3rd party software. If your want your Wii game to sell, it has to be Just Dance, or it has to be published by Nintendo. There just aren't enough people willing to spend £30 on a game that can't be played at parties or doesn't have the Nintendo/Mario brand attached.
I haven't been following the charts extensively but Goldeneye and Sonic Colours seemed to do okay.

KingDizzi

Banned
gofreak said:
I have a feeling the release fuck-up messed up their advertising plans. It can be hard to reschedule a campaign at this time of year if ad inventory is heavily booked. They may not have had their choice of ad space to start a campaign before release. I would GUESS that they do have stuff planned through Xmas. Apparently some ads have started trickling out on a couple of channels.

Galvanise_ said:
They are indeed doing post launch advertising. I think the missed deadline might have screwed up their TV ad campaign.

The release date changing last minute must have something to do with it, the advertising will probably go widespead a little later on. I can understand it being beaten by COD but FIFA on just the PS3? No, someone gone fucked up there something special, this is not some middle tier franchise it's GT. For goodness sake I'm still seeing Reach adverts months after release. :lol

My awesome memory recalls Goldeneye, Just Dance 2, Epic Mickey, NFS:HP, Halo Reach, Black Ops, Fable 3, Wii Party (hiding and finding controllers, WFT is that shit?) and the Wii bundle adverts as of late.

iceatcs

I think adverting is not work out very well in UK anyway. You need Celebs or one of X factor to be on it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
OMG Aero said:
I haven't been following the charts extensively but Goldeneye and Sonic Colours seemed to do okay.

Sonic has a decent audience on the Wii, built up with some solid earlier titles, but a debut at No 29 is hardly what you would expect from a console that dwarfs the install base of it's rivals. GoldenEye is doing a bit better but then it has a huge brand name combined with massive nostalgia. They are exceptions rather than the rule.

Steroyd

KingDizzi said:
Epic Mickey sales are just fucked up, that one I did see adverts for and quite a bit too. That's fucking MICKEY MOUSE.........goddamn!

Which means what these days?

Mickey mouse was a powerful mascot for Disney as much as Mario is for Nintendo... until the past decade or so, if kids these days see the name Disney they don't automatically link Mickey Mouse anymore, they think Hannah Montanna, Wizards of Waverly place and whatever the fuck is on that shitty Disney channel, heck I'd say that even their movies are somewhat diluted in raising awareness of the Disney brand because it's mostly Disney Pixar that does most of their good movies.

/end Disney down the shitter rant

tzare said:
is epic disney supported by Ninty? otherways they could port it to 360/PS3 and have some extra sales

They'd also have to make bonus stuff for Sony to accept it. I'm not sure if the cost of up-porting plus development of additional content would be outweighed by the sales on the PS3.

C4Lukins

Steroyd said:

Mickey mouse was a powerful mascot for Disney as much as Mario is for Nintendo... until the past decade or so, if kids these days see the name Disney they don't automatically link Mickey Mouse anymore, they think Hannah Montanna, Wizards of Waverly place and whatever the fuck is on that shitty Disney channel, heck I'd say that even their movies are somewhat diluted in raising awareness of the Disney brand because it's mostly Disney Pixar that does most of their good movies.

It is sad to see. Do they actually show old Disney cartoons on the Disney channel anymore? Hell I cannot remember the last time I ran across a Looney Tunes short while browsing the cable box. I think we may be entering a sad period where Mickey, Donald, Bugs and Daffy are only known to kids by their theme park costumes.

El-Suave

Galvanise_ said:
They'd also have to make bonus stuff for Sony to accept it. I'm not sure if the cost of up-porting plus development of additional content would be outweighed by the sales on the PS3.

I'm sure the big blue "Supports Playstation Move" sticker would be more than enough to make Sony happy on that front. And that should be easy enough to implement.

Steroyd

C4Lukins said:
It is sad to see. Do they actually show old Disney cartoons on the Disney channel anymore? Hell I cannot remember the last time I ran across a Looney Tunes short while browsing the cable box. I think we may be entering a sad period where Mickey, Donald, Bugs and Daffy are only known to kids by their theme park costumes.

They do have a channel dedicated to Disney movies, but that includes anything that has a Disney label stuck to it including shitty B-movies like Snow Dogs and that puppy's in space movie and all the sequels to stuff like Mulan, Lady and the Tramp, Tarzan etc, plus you have to buy Sky's movie pack ontop of the core subscription if you're on virgin media if you want to view said channel.

I need to stop, the more I look at Disney from this perspective the more depressed I get, put simply I'm not surprised at all, that Mickey Mouse alone as a brand isn't strong enough anymore because they relegated him to tending to 5 years and younger with that shitty CGI Dora the explorer esque shitty show.

Speaking of Epic Mickey, is it just me or has the game been completely snubbed by Game stores? I've been in a few of their stores and I haven't seen it anywhere there at all, it's not in stock and they don't have it on display in any way, shape or form!

I've seen it in HMV but maybe its absence in Game stores would be a big factor behind its failure on the charts? (plus it's botched launch as previously mentioned)

CiSTM

Banned
Steroyd said:

Is Mickey Mouse even that big in euroland ? I know there was a time when he and other Disney characters were big but it seems Europe has lot more love for Donald Duck and Scrooge. For example Donald Duck comics are still selling well in many euro countries.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Full chart is online:

- 1 GRAN TURISMO 5 PS3 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.
2 2 ASSASSIN'S CREED: BROTHERHOOD XB360 UBISOFT UBISOFT
1 3 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS XB360 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
5 4 JUST DANCE 2 WII UBISOFT UBISOFT
3 5 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS PS3 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
4 6 ASSASSIN'S CREED: BROTHERHOOD PS3 UBISOFT UBISOFT
6 7 WII PARTY WII NINTENDO NINTENDO
11 8 FIFA 11 XB360 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
13 9 FIFA 11 PS3 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
21 10 ART ACADEMY DS NINTENDO NINTENDO
7 11 WII SPORTS RESORT WII NINTENDO NINTENDO
8 12 NEED FOR SPEED: HOT PURSUIT XB360 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
10 13 PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE LOST FUTURE DS NINTENDO NINTENDO
9 14 NEED FOR SPEED: HOT PURSUIT PS3 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
12 15 KINECT SPORTS XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT
15 16 WII FIT PLUS WII NINTENDO NINTENDO
14 17 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO NINTENDO
24 18 FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS XB360 BETHESDA SOFTWORKS BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
22 19 MARIO KART WII WII NINTENDO NINTENDO
17 20 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. DS NINTENDO NINTENDO
18 21 JUST DANCE WII UBISOFT UBISOFT
20 22 DANCE CENTRAL XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT
19 23 FABLE III XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT
16 24 FOOTBALL MANAGER 2011 PC SEGA SEGA
- 25 MICHAEL JACKSON: THE EXPERIENCE WII UBISOFT UBISOFT
- 26 RED DEAD REDEMPTION: UNDEAD NIGHTMARE XB360 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2
29 27 SONIC COLOURS WII SEGA SEGA
25 28 HALO: REACH XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT
- 29 FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS PS3 BETHESDA SOFTWORKS BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
23 30 GOLDENEYE 007 WII ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
35 31 SONIC COLOURS DS SEGA SEGA
- 32 RED DEAD REDEMPTION: UNDEAD NIGHTMARE PS3 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2
28 33 SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 WII NINTENDO NINTENDO
33 34 WWE SMACKDOWN VS RAW 2011 XB360 THQ THQ
39 35 FIFA 11 WII EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS
37 36 MEDAL OF HONOR PS3 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
- 37 TOY STORY 3 DS DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
36 38 THE X FACTOR WII DEEP SILVER KOCH MEDIA
- 39 DISNEY EPIC MICKEY WII DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS
27 40 F1 2010 XB360 CODEMASTERS CODEMASTERS

Biggest surprise to me has to the absence of Kinectimals in the top 40, I thought it would be Kinect's killer app this season.

Road

PS3 biggest first weeks:

1 - Black Ops - 840,000
2 - Modern Warfare 2 - 712,000
3 - GTA IV - 413,000
4 - FIFA 11 - 347,000
5 - FIFA 10 - 281,000

6 - Gran Turismo 5 - ???

7 - FIFA 09 - 165,000

Let me know if I'm forgetting any other big release (this list is my own estimation based on the data we have).

It doesn't help much when FIFA09 provides the same cutoff as Brotherhood (161k this week). haha =\

Two surprises for me:

1) GT5 is only PS3's 6th biggest launch week. And with a late November release too. GT has always been Sony's hottest IP.

2) Kinect software is still plummeting down the charts. And yet there are standalone units and bundles absolutely everywhere here in the UK - so it's not related to stock shortages. Nintendo is totalling out-marketing Microsoft here right now though, without a shadow of a doubt.

dolemite

Road said:
PS3 biggest first weeks:

1 - Black Ops - 840,000
3 - GTA IV - 413,000
4 - FIFA 11 - 347,000
5 - FIFA 10 - 281,000

6 - Gran Turismo 5 - ???

7 - FIFA 09 - 165,000

Let me know if I'm forgetting any other big release (this list is my own estimation based on the data we have).

It doesn't help much when FIFA09 provides the same cutoff as Brotherhood (161k this week). haha =\
Black Ops is at 174k-ish this week, that's the very bottom.

Danielsan

CiSTM said:
Is Mickey Mouse even that big in euroland ? I know there was a time when he and other Disney characters were big but it seems Europe has lot more love for Donald Duck and Scrooge. For example Donald Duck comics are still selling well in many euro countries.
In my experience Mickey Mouse never held much popularity in The Netherlands. It´s all about Donald here, and rightfully so.

Elios83

Road said:
PS3 biggest first weeks:

1 - Black Ops - 840,000
3 - GTA IV - 413,000
4 - FIFA 11 - 347,000
5 - FIFA 10 - 281,000

6 - Gran Turismo 5 - ???

7 - FIFA 09 - 165,000

GT5 265k (up 6% compared to GT4 launch week).
Great and deserved success for Kazunori and I'm sure this game will stay on the top among with COD and AC for the rest of the year.
The same can't be said about Epic Mickey which bombed hard, that of course will give a negative message to Disney which thought games with their characters could find a better match with the Wii family audicence. Now they will be forced to port the game elsewhere to recoup investements.

Sykra

If GT5 sold more then its predecessor in the 1st week, how can it be considered a failure since its sales improved on the previous entry?

Elios83

Sykra said:
If GT5 sold more then its predecessor in the 1st week, how can it be considered a failure since its sales improved on the previous entry?

LOL if that's a failure :lol but yeah there are games which are more popular and have broader appeal in Europe than Gran Turismo: COD, GTA and FIFA.

Road

dolemite said:
Black Ops is at 174k-ish this week, that's the very bottom.
Duh, yeah. Sorry. Thanks.

But I see now the blurb about GT4 sales being over 250k, which provides us a better estimate for GT5.

Rad-

I always imagined GT series opened a lot bigger than that, I guess not. Not that it matters because the legs will be huge.

Xater

Rad- said:
I always imagined GT series opened a lot bigger than that, I guess not. Not that it matters because the legs will be huge.

It is a great launch week and it being eclipsed by GTA4, COD and Football should not be suprising at all. The real important numbe ris tha tit launched better than GT4 and you can expect the game to take top position all over Europe.

milanbaros

Member?
Monty Mole said:
Nintendo is totalling out-marketing Microsoft here right now though, without a shadow of a doubt.

Agree. Nintedndo has gone all out on marketing this Christmas. Just Dance 2 and Wii party will probably both cross a million in the UK.

Great sales for GT5. Launching behind the biggest games of this generation isn't anything to be ashamed of. Better than GT4 in the face of all the launch issues is all that really matters.

Epic Mickey...what went wrong? I thought the Wii would have nailed the Kingdom Hearts demographic + platformer demographic. Sonic Colors is still on the charts, as are Super Mario Galaxy 2 and NSMB Wii. Even Goldeneye is still holding. Just baffling. Warren Spector is pretty much done at Disney after this unless it performs much better in the states.

apana

So Epic Mickey is not popular anywhere in Europe or did it only bomb in the UK? Maybe U.S. sales will be strong, I don't know. I have a feeling that if it bombs now, any future port to an HD console or 3DS will bomb as well. Nintendo core audience surprises me, they can make Mario Galaxy reach upto nine million and Zelda TP beyond six but for Mickey it's just a big "fuck you". Maybe Microsoft is better off not making a Banjo platformer.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Epic Mickey...what went wrong? I thought the Wii would have nailed the Kingdom Hearts demographic + platformer demographic. Sonic Colors is still on the charts, as are Super Mario Galaxy 2 and NSMB Wii. Even Goldeneye is still holding. Just baffling. Warren Spector is pretty much done at Disney after this unless it performs much better in the states.

I still think it's worth waiting until next week's charts on this - anecdotal evidence here and elsewhere suggests EM might not have been too widely available, and it may benefit from better distribution and the typical Wii second-week-bounce. Wouldn't hold my breath though.

The only thing I can come up with is that the game looked too much like "Mature Mickey" on first glance and didn't leap out at the Wii audience in the same way a more traditional Mickey game might have done?

Road

No Kingdom Hearts game ever crossed 100k (although I and II did cross 50k) in the UK. Disney just doesn't seem have the same appeal there as in the US.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Road said:
No Kingdom Hearts game ever crossed 100k (although I and II did cross 50k) in the UK. Disney just doesn't seem have the same appeal there as in the US.
Why did you do that? Let the fun continue.

Road said:

Really? I wouldn't have expected that at all.

Horrific start for Mickey. Extremely disappointing numbers. It really doesn't look that interesting though even with Deus Ex being one of my favorite games ever :/

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Withnail said:
but FIFA is an absolute beast in the UK
Fifa games have been averaging 10M/yearly even before the takeover. And for the last 3 years, every release broke the previous franchise sales record, 11 is set to compete with the likes of COD at current rate.

For GT to beat Fifa11 even on its own platform it'll have to at least match PS2 GT4 sales - which is something most people already claimed impossible on Gaf.

Dabanton

If Epic Mickey was multi format, why do i suspect that some of the the people asking for it to be released on 360/PS3 wouldn't even get it on launch day and would wait for it to be cheaper. That's if they get it at all.

The situation reminded me of seeing how many people raved about Vanquish and yet were holding out on getting it until it was going for cheap, shows me a lot of people are all talk when moaning about limited game choices and no action when it's time to man up and show that we do support good games.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Loudninja said:
GT5:
265k in the UK
20K+ First day in Finland
45,000 preorders before launch in Italy

Thats basically all we know so far.
What were those numbers from France (or some other big Eur country) that were around 500k for pre-orders?

Dabanton said:
If Epic Mickey was multi format, why do i suspect that some of the the people asking for it to be released on 360/PS3 wouldn't even get it on launch day and would wait for it to be cheaper. That's if they get it at all.

The situation reminded me of seeing how many people raved about Vanquish and yet were holding out on getting it until it was going for cheap, shows me a lot of people are all talk when moaning about limited game choices and no action when it's time to man up and show that we do support good games.
I bet the 30+ who ate it for port-begging would have bought it. :lol

But yeah, this doesn't seem like the kind of game that would do all that well on ps360...maybe 3DS and PSP2?

Dabanton said:

...because you've been around GAF long enough to realise how cheap talk here actually is? ;-)

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Dabanton said:

I wouldn't buy it on any system. It just seems like an odd decision to relaunch "Mickey" on the Wii only. At the very least do a dirty DS port to complement the launch. Did anyone really expect this game to sell gangbusters?

apana

Painraze said:
I wouldn't buy it on any system. It just seems like an odd decision to relaunch "Mickey" on the Wii only. At the very least a DS release to complement the launch. Did anyone really expect this game to sell gangbusters?

Hey, it may still sell. The only place it did poorly is the UK and they don't like Disney for some reason.

hamchan

Dabanton said:

That's because Vanquish is a short game that released in one of the busiest periods of the year. We're consumers buying games and looking out for ourselves, not donating money to some charity. If we know Vanquish will price drop quickly and we're willing to wait for that then the smart thing to do as consumers is to do exactly that. No one told Sega to release the game at such a time and it's not our fault if they couldn't convince people to buy it.

I think the more traditional Disney brands (Mickey, Goofy, Donald) just aren't as powerful in the UK.

There's no amusement park here, no Mickey Mouse club and the dedicated TV channel only launched once those brands were on the slide in the US. I've been to the park in Florida and the themes were much more traditional Disney. I think your average UK person would consider the later animations like Aladdin and Lion King or the Pixar films and Hannah Montana ahead of Mickey Mouse.

edit: To add to the post below - Disney certainly isn't the problem. On the whole, they are as massive here as anywhere else. I just think that the traditional, old school brands are not so much.

I wouldn't place too much worth in the week 1 performance in the UK as to how it will fare in NA. If it tanks in NA (I wouldn't say being outside the top 10 would qualify as tanking, but in the sub 150k range or thereabouts) then there's a problem. I very much doubt Epic Mickey would have done any better in the UK on 360 or PS3.

apana said:
Hey, it may still sell. The only place it did poorly is the UK and they don't like Disney for some reason.

The UK loves Disney. You wouldn't believe how many Brits go to Disneyland Paris every year.

We have stage shows and god knows what else of Disney over here.

They even considered building another DisneyLand in the UK.

Dabanton said:
I really don't think being on Wii or being 3rd party is even the issue. Just looking at the LEGO games should give as an example for how the Wii audience is certainly not able to differentiate between 1st- and 3rd party software and consciously decides to only ever buy Nintendo software. :lol The LEGO games are similar family/child oriented games with a strong license and they are selling great on the Wii despite the competition of like five or six other multiplatform versions.
EM did absolutely terrible, though -- to the point even where I cannot think of a single reason for its performance. Maybe the lack of a 360/PS3 release actually did have some kind of negative effect on the general perception of the game. Or maybe old Mickey and his forgotten Disney friends are just not appealing or recognizable enough. I don't know...it's really puzzling.

Top Bottom