• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game of 2010 had the WORST story?

soldat7 said:
Mass Effect 2
I can see you being disappointed in the story because maybe you were expecting God's hand to come down and caress your ass and lick your earlobe while you played it, but to say it's THE ABSOLUTE WORST story of all the games you played out of this whole year? C'mon man, quit being silly.

Goldmund

This is a little off-topic: the point in time when video game characters started reading out loud the texts written for video game characters marks the first bud of my ever-blossoming love for The Legend of Zelda. No matter how terrible (or non-existent) your game's story, narrative and writing are: as long as I can only see it (in pictures and text bubbles), my judgment will be so much gentler.

Dark Octave said:
I can see you being disappointed in the story because maybe you were expecting God's hand to come down and caress your ass and lick your earlobe while you played it, but to say it's THE ABSOLUTE WORST story of all the games you played out of this whole year? C'mon man, quit being silly.
Yeah, the story is pretty non-existent, but what's there is pretty good, I think.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Okay, nevermind.

I'll still enjoy it. The graphics look great at least!
For the record I still think it's worth playing, but mostly for the graphics and atmosphere. Good music too.

Kyoufu

Dark Octave said:

He is not being silly at all. The story fucking sucked!

KaYotiX

Banned
CozMick said:
Black Ops was all kinds of bad but my worst story of 2010 award goes to FFXIII, that shit made me fall asleep many a time.
Agree and it seemed like it wanted to be serious which made it even worse.

Dark Octave said:

Both of those are wrong.

Sgt.Pepper said:
What videogame story isn't mediocre? I've been reading books and watching some series; it made me remember how many videogames stories are terrible.
Bad Company 1 had a good story. But you're right: 99% of video game stories are quantifiably bad. That's why I have no problem with games that have little to no story (like Crackdown), in fact i prefer them.

Goldmund said:
This is a little off-topic: the point in time when video game characters started reading out loud the texts written for video game characters marks the first bud of my ever-blossoming love for The Legend of Zelda. No matter how terrible (or non-existent) your game's story, narrative and writing are: as long as I can only see it (in pictures and text bubbles), my judgment will be so much gentler.
I would agree with this. Dumb text comes across much better than dumb spoken word.

Kyoufu said:
A non-existent story doesn't necessarily equate to being a bad one. For me, ME2's focus is Shepard's team. The story is about them. I think this is mainly the case, because BioWare intends to use the same team in ME3, which I wouldn't mind at all. I hope that's the case, anyway, because if they decide to scrap everyone in ME2, I'll be disappointed.

Despera

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
FFXIII. Terrible characters. Pathetic attempts at depth. Boring uneventful plot until the ending. Truly the most over hyped shit that ever shitted.
Fixed.

So perfect.

Kyoufu said:
I'll never understand how something can go from loved to hated.

:lol I remember when Blade was awesome until the Matrix came out, then Blade all of a sudden "sucked".

Where's that Sinfield "I'm done here" gif?

If a story bores me, I consider it bad. I can't think of any that particularly bored me this year. Maybe God of War III? Nier did to some extent but it had some brilliant parts.

Patryn

A non-existent story doesn't necessarily equate to being a bad one. For me, ME2's focus is Shepard's team. The story is about them. I think this is mainly the case, because BioWare intends to use the same team in ME3, which I wouldn't mind at all. I hope that's the case, anyway, because if they decide to scrap everyone in ME2, I'll be disappointed.

Given the headaches in trying to figure out how to work with the myriad of possible combination of dead and alive characters, I wouldn't be getting too attached to the squad.

KevinCow

Banned
THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY

stay gold

Well that'd be difficult considering
every character can die in ME2.

It's also about this stuff:

Fimbulvetr said:
Shepard hits a planet with his face and is brought back because nanomachines and space cash.

EmCeeGramr said:
Oh right, and everyone just kinda shrugs and goes "oh cool" and the implications of resurrecting a barely recognizable hunk of burned and frozen meat are never brought up again.

EatChildren said:
The Collector seeker that randomly appears in Mordin's lab, allowing him to develop protection against the swarms on Horizon. It is never explained where he got it.

EmCeeGramr said:
Oh fuck, I was just thinking of that but forgot it. Yeah, that was dumb.

Also ME2 only continued and championed the whole "humans are the special balanced adaptable master race that will save us all" tripe.

EatChildren said:
There's so much equally dumb shit as well.

- Lets cram the entire squad into this shuttle and blast off for no reason while the ship gets attacked.

- Garrus your face is all fucked up. I'll buy the face correction surgical unit. OH WAIT IT DOESNT HELP YOU (I prefer messed up Garrus, but whatever).

- EDI hypes super secret locked crazy important GAME CHANGING information early on. Finally unlocks. Nothing of importance is learned.

- The most interesting and lore important character is introduced at the very end of the game, and players dont even have to use him.

The cast is better than the first, but that ain't an accomplishment considering that 2/3s of the ME1 cast was abysmal.

Havok

EatChildren said:
There's so much equally dumb shit as well.

- Lets cram the entire squad into this shuttle and blast off for no reason while the ship gets attacked.
I remember being so upset with this. They could have at least found a good fucking reason for such a shitty contrivance, but that was absolute garbage.

Starcraft 2. No contest.

Not only was the story fucking terrible but it managed to ruin the story from starcraft 1, (pretty close to my favourite videogame story ever). They also managed to do this on a huge budget.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Saying Bayonetta's story is awful is kinda missing the point - that's the whole idea of the game, as in making fun on action game stories. Now whether or not it does it well is up to the viewer, but the plot as is should not be taken seriously.

ME2 was pretty much... pointless. In the grand scheme of things it felt like they barely moved forward.

Eaten By A Grue said:
Fable 3

I loved Fable 2, but Fable 3 felt so lifeless. The story was ridiculous, especially the entire end of the game.

It's probably the story I'm most dissapointed with, only because the premise sounded so awesome.

I'd like to say FFXIII, but I only forced myself through about 12 hours, so I don't know if it got any better.

Kntj

FFXIII's story was completely uninteresting to me, and I'm usually one to defend final fantasy storylines.

I enjoyed Fable III's story until the half-assed ending, which took a lot from the rest of the game too. Same for Heavy Rain.

Mass Effect 2's was propably my favorite.

AdventureRacing said:
Starcraft 2. No contest.

Not only was the story fucking terrible but it managed to ruin the story from starcraft 1, (pretty close to my favourite videogame story ever). They also managed to do this on a huge budget.
Yeah. SC2 was pretty bad, too. I wonder how bad they'll screw up Diablo 3?

Yeah. SC2 was pretty bad, too. I wonder how bad they'll screw up Diablo 3?

I thought Diablo 2's story was a disappointment. =/

Blaming Diablo 1 to some extent for this. The manual had this story about hell and all these angels getting tossed in, having their skin stretched and torn apart with hooks, and just all sorts of depravity piled on top of one another. I was expecting dozens of awesome boss fights. Then I got through the game and all I remember about Hell was all the damned naked insta-killing Succubus-crowds. Still that sort of thing was enough to keep me interested. It was different at least, like I wasn't expecting to deal with them, and some freaking centipede guys.

Sure D2 threw in a bunch of other stuff but they just killed the atmosphere so bad that I stopped caring. All I remember now is some pretty cinemas and 1,001 Tristram/Baal runs. All these dead bodies per square-inch of land and by then what was the point? If Diablo was half the shit he said he was every time I died I should have been sent to a worse hell than the one I was killed in. I mean..I don't know. It just seemed like they weren't really trying. The last few enemies are barely describable, just mounds of shit with teeth and claws. They die just as easily as anything because my characters are freaking ridiculously kitted out by then..but I guess that's not the point.

Bayonetta was fun. it only got into the awful level whenever the story tried to get into serious terrain. thankfully, that's a rare case. most cutscenes are crazy and goofy, in a good way.

Super Street Fighter IV same as Bayonetta. the story arch is a mess. if you play characters outside the main story there's good and funny stuff all around.

Augemitbutter said:
Bayonetta was fun. it only got into the awful level whenever the story tried to get into serious terrain. thankfully, that's a rare case. most cutscenes are crazy and goofy, in a good way.

Super Street Fighter IV same as Bayonetta. the story arch is a mess. if you play characters outside the main story there's good and funny stuff all around.

Quick! What other action games have you played this gen?

Final Fantasy XIII - liked the beginning but it fell apart near the end.
Mass Effect 2 - it was so disappointing compared to ME1.

HEAVY RAIN

Not quite as bad as Indigo Prophecy but still atrocious. It's still the only one I felt actually insulted by this year. (Note: Have not played Other M)

Adam Blue

I guess there's two ways to look at it: Games that are trying to have a story, and games with a throw-away story merely to coincide with gameplay. I think the latter should never be even be considered.

With that, I vote Other M. Not only is it shitting on the already established Metroid lore, it wouldn't even be interesting on its own, as mentioned.

timetokill said:
HEAVY RAIN

Not quite as bad as Indigo Prophecy but still atrocious. It's still the only one I felt actually insulted by this year. (Note: Have not played Other M)

IP must be the only thing I can think of that's more horribly written than Star Ocean 4.

Fimbulvetr said:
IP must be the only thing I can think of that's more horribly written than Star Ocean 4.

Oh god :lol

My girlfriend was looking forward to SO4 so much... she'd be playing the game while I was working on the computer or something, and I'd just have to burst out laughing at some of the shit in that game :lol

FFXIII and BBS terrible plots, but some of the characters in those games are pretty good so I can't give it to them. Other M has no redeeming qualities as a narrative (Game was still really good, fuck the haters)

For me, a mix up between FF13 and (I promise you, I am not trolling) Halo: Reach. This is from my own experiences, I haven't played many of the other candidates in this thread.

AniHawk

Games I played this year:

Super Mario Galaxy 2
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Sonic Colors DS/Wii
No More Heroes 2
Metroid: Other M
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Trauma Team
Mass Effect 2
Bayonetta
Red Dead Redemption
3D Dot Game Heroes
Mega Man 10
Super Meat Boy
Miles Edgeworth
Heavy Rain

There's some real competition here.

Augemitbutter said:
GoW 3, Nier, Ys OiF and Seven, Yakuza 3, MGS:pW, SSF IV, only started Vanquish, im not too far in...

hmmm, is that enough?

Then why did you not list GOW3? :p

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
FFXIII and BBS terrible plots, but some of the characters in those games are pretty good so I can't give it to them. Other M has no redeeming qualities as a narrative (Game was still really good, fuck the haters)

Like?

Star Ocean 4 could effectively win for every year.
Worst story for 2009: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voxlxJpTLnA&feature=related
Worst story for 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvM9PMVFS_A&feature=related (Skip to 6:24 for everything EVERYTHING E V E R Y T H I N G)
Worst story for 2011?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8bXKJ14okw&feature=related
Worst story for 2012?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRsFIjETEOs&feature=related

There's enough horribleness in this game to outlive civilization as we know it(unless Edge blows it up first).

Top Bottom